Responding to Atheists

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
How do you respond to an atheist who says they do not need God and their life is already great as it is?

I share the gospel. That's it, and point them to further books etc if they so desire to read further.

Atheism is nothing more than a pacifier for those who love their sin and hate God (John 3:19; Ephesians 2:13; Romans 1:18)

Only the outward call of the gospel and the inward working of the Holy Spirit can open man's eyes to see God's amazing grace (Romans 10:17; Ephesians 1:17-18, john 3:5-6).

B

Blackpowderduelist

I share the gospel. That's it, and point them to further books etc if they so desire to read further.

Atheism is nothing more than a pacifier for those who love their sin and hate God (John 3:19; Ephesians 2:13; Romans 1:18)

Only the outward call of the gospel and the inward working of the Holy Spirit can open man's eyes to see God's amazing grace (Romans 10:17; Ephesians 1:17-18, john 3:5-6).
There are no English words that can be any more accurate that this.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
How do you respond to an atheist who says they do not need God and their life is already great as it is?
The best way is to clarify that its not about having ' happiness ' and ' prosperity ' . But rather heaven and hell . And what Jesus did to remedy this .

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
Claiming that is a double negative. If you have never had God in your life, how do you know that you don't need God in your life? It is no different to a mother who has put her child in childcare from six months on saying that it doesn't hurt him to be there. How does she know unless she hasn't put her child in child care?

Most of the time atheists say whatever they want things to be, not as they are. The do not say that which is provable. So what they say they are saying to convince themselves not others. One of their favourites is God does not exist. They say that because they do not want God to exist because if he does, they are up the creek without a paddle because if he exists, then they have to ask themselves some very pertinent questions which they rather avoid.

Most claims by atheists can be dealt with by a simple question. "What is your evidence." Most of the time they do not have any. It is just a personal opinion because they don't want God in their life because if he is that means someone else is in control and that is anathema to an atheist.
So what is your answer subhuman?

CS1

May 23, 2012

there is much bad evangelism out there and many different kinds of one-liners and debate strategies to win debates and make a point but no clear sign of surrendering to the Lord. Although one might believe they won the debate the person who debated did not change his mind in or she very well may have just pacified the debater and walked away holding the very same opinion.

Jesus was the greatest evangelist example for us today. You will read in John chapter 4:7-26

as I believe is one of the most powerful examples of street ministry in the word of God there is.

As you may know, the women at the well had a very bad reputation. This was self-evident by Jesus one because he knows all, but also we know this due to the time of day she came to get water. All virtuous women came to get their water early in the morning. she was there at the sixth hour of the day, about noon.

Jesus did not engage with a load of prescripted questions to trap the women He asked her to give Him a drink of water. She knew Jesus was a Jew and they wanted nothing to do with her culture or ethnicity.

Jesus appealed to her need. If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who says to you, ‘Give Me a drink,’ you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water.”

We make the mistake of wanting to address the obvious sin of the person instead of the need. Jesus addressed the need then revealed the issue of why you don't have it.... sin. When we as Christians tell those on the streets, at work, in our home why we believe and what Jesus revealed to us about ourselves First the Holy Spirit will draw them to Jesus.

Come and see and man who told me everything I have ever done and what I need. This woman had past, this woman was active in sin YET she told those who would mocker, lambast her about her meeting with Jesus and it was so powerful that the whole town came to see who she met.

Jesus makes all the difference.

The best thing you can do when speaking to an atheist or anyone is to ask have you been formally introduced to the Lord Jesus Christ? If no let me tell you why you want to. Then pray for them.

T

TheIndianGirl

How do you respond to someone who says he needs scientific evidence to believe, as a rational/logical human being?

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
How do you respond to someone who says he needs scientific evidence to believe, as a rational/logical human being?

I would tell them I personally don't don't have a great scientific knowledge, however, I do know many resources written by scientist with Phd's in their field of expertise. I would then point them in the right direction either books or other media.

But I would point out what Paul noted - (esp vv19-20)

The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles.
24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25 They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.

I say this from experience as I have had friends ask for scientific proof and I end up making a hash of it. So now I point them in the right direction or get the information for them. Don't get me wrong I share with them anything I do know.

Never be embarrassed to say to someone I don't know the answer. But be willing to either get the information or point them in the right direction if they are interested.

Usually it's about evolution. I point people to reasons to believe - https://reasons.org/

They have many youtube videos, Hugh Ross himself is an Astrophysicist Ph.D.

T

TheIndianGirl

I would tell them I personally don't don't have a great scientific knowledge, however, I do know many resources written by scientist with Phd's in their field of expertise. I would then point them in the right direction either books or other media.

But I would point out what Paul noted - (esp vv19-20)

The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles.
24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25 They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.

I say this from experience as I have had friends ask for scientific proof and I end up making a hash of it. So now I point them in the right direction or get the information for them. Don't get me wrong I share with them anything I do know.

Never be embarrassed to say to someone I don't know the answer. But be willing to either get the information or point them in the right direction if they are interested.

Usually it's about evolution. I point people to reasons to believe - https://reasons.org/

They have many youtube videos, Hugh Ross himself is an Astrophysicist Ph.D.

Thank you. These verses are helpful. I believe we have the intuition to see God in the world. I believe atheists do too but "reasoning" gets the best of them, and they want to hear an audible voice or witness something of that nature.

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
Thank you. These verses are helpful. I believe we have the intuition to see God in the world. I believe atheists do too but "reasoning" gets the best of them, and they want to hear an audible voice or witness something of that nature.

That's right TheIndiangirl, as Paul puts it '' they suppress the truth by their wickedness'' (Rom 1:18).

Good insight TheIndiangirl (y)