Revelation 3:1-6 - The Church of Sardis

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Ahwatukee

Senior Member
Mar 12, 2015
11,159
2,376
113
To the angel of the church in Sardis write:

These are the words of the One who has the sevenfold Spirit of God and the seven stars.

I know your deeds; you have a reputation for being alive, yet you are dead. 2Wake up and strengthen what remains, which was about to die; for I have found your deeds incomplete in the sight of My God. 3Remember, then, what you have received and heard. Keep it and repent. If you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know the hour when I will come upon you.

4But you do have a few people in Sardis who have not soiled their garments, and because they are worthy, they will walk with Me in white. 5Like them, the one who is victorious will be clothed in white garments. And I will never blot out his name from the book of life, but I will confess his name before My Father and His angels.

6He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


“These are the words of the One who has the sevenfold Spirit of God and the seven stars.”

As we have continued to see, each of the letters begins with the Lord’s introduction with reference to any one of His characteristics. Here, He refers to Himself as the One having the seven Spirits of God or the sevenfold Spirit, which were first introduced in John’s greeting in Rev.1:5, bidding grace and peace to the seven churches and are identified in Rev.4:5 symbolically represented by seven Lamps blazing before God’s throne and are also symbolic of the seven horns and eyes of the Lamb, who are sent out into all the earth, as found in Rev.5:6.

The other reference is to the seven stars,which He holds in His right hand and which were identified in Rev.1:20 as symbolically representing the seven “aggelos” translated as “messengers,” which as we have already covered, is most likely in reference to the the pastors or overseers of those individual churches opposed to John writing to heavenly beings.

“I know your deeds; you have a reputation for being alive, yet you are dead. Wake up and strengthen what remains, which was about to die; for I have found your deeds incomplete in the sight of My God.

The Lord’s references to “their deeds” was not a commendation but was in regards to their having a reputation for being alive, but were in reality spiritually dead, deficient in true faith. In perspective, this speaks to me of the popular, but spiritually dead church of today. This was a church that was filled with unsaved people going through the motions of religion as performing a work. It reminds me of what we see today. There are people who attend church on Sunday, but have no real communion with the Lord. Their mindset being that by performing their duty on Sunday and just being associated with the church that they are saved. Yet they have no further communion with the Lord, such as spending time in daily prayer, living in His word, examining their lives and being concerned about staying in step with the Spirit, exercising love, etc. No fruit of the Spirit! There are many churches and individuals throughout the world that are like the church of Sardis today. Their deeds that the Lord found incomplete was their lack of true faith, which is also demonstrated by the Lord’s warning for them to wake up, which would infer that they were sleeping regarding the things of the Lord, not paying attention to their dead spiritual state.

“Remember, then, what you have received and heard. Keep it and repent. If you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know the hour when I will come upon you.”

The reference to “wake up” would infer that they were not spiritually alert, not paying attention to their life in Christ. And if you’re not paying attention to the things of the Spirit, then ones attention can only be upon the things of this world. They had become indifferent regarding their life in Christ.
The Lord’s warning is that if they do not wake up from this state, He will come like a thief, which I believe is in reference to when the Lord comes to gather His church. In other words, if you are in this same state of spiritual sleep when I come, you won’t be gathered. This reminds us of what the Lord said in Luke regarding their not being ready when He comes:

“Be careful, or your hearts will be weighed down with carousing, drunkenness and the anxieties of life, and that day will close on you suddenly like a trap. For it will come on all those who live on the face of the whole earth. Be always on the watch, and pray that you may be able to escape all that is about to happen, and that you may be able to stand before the Son of Man.”

Being in the state described above, demonstrates one whose eyes are on the things of this world, but are spiritually asleep regarding the things of Christ. Notice, for those who are in that state, “that day” will close on them like a trap, meaning that they will not be gathered when the Lord comes, but will remain on the earth and will enter into that time of God’s wrath—which will close on them like a trap—and which will come upon the face of the whole earth.

“But you do have a few people in Sardis who have not soiled their garments, and because they are worthy, they will walk with Me in white. Like them, the one who is victorious will be clothed in white garments. ”

Obviously there were some in Sardis who were not in this state of spiritual sleep and the Lord commends them, saying that they are worthy and that they will walk with Him wearing white. Regarding this, I am reminded of the wedding of the Lamb, which takes place in heaven, where the bride/church receives her fine linen, white and clean, which represents the rightous acts of the saints, as found in Rev.19:6-8. The same promise of walking with the Lord in white is the same for those who heed the Lord’s warning and wake up, repenting of that state. If they are victorious over it, they too will walk in white with Him.

“And I will never blot out his name from the book of life, but I will confess his name before My Father and His angels.”

The very fact that the Lord mentions not blotting out their name from the book of life for the person who is victorious, infers that He is able and can do that very thing. Otherwise that statement would make no sense. In all of these promises to the individuals within the church, for those who are not victorious, we can reverse the promise and apply the consequences. That said and regarding those who are not victorious in Sardis, when the Lord comes like a thief they would not be gathered with the church, they would not be dressed in white walking with the Lord and He can blot out their names from the book of life. Some would disagree with this, but we have to remember that these promises and warnings are continingent upon being victorious.

On to the church of Philadelphia ...
 
Hi Ahwatukee,

Great points you've made. I will have to think this through. I does say that some need to wake up or they will not be clothed with white garments because their names will be blotted out.

Could this be talking about those who never really had a genuine faith? Or do you think that had a genuine faith and totally apostatized?

Thanks again for going through these end-time scriptures. I appreciate it and i know others do too even if they don't comment.
:)
 
Desertsrose;bt22954 said:
Hi Ahwatukee,

Great points you've made. I will have to think this through. I does say that some need to wake up or they will not be clothed with white garments because their names will be blotted out.

Could this be talking about those who never really had a genuine faith? Or do you think that had a genuine faith and totally apostatized?

Thanks again for going through these end-time scriptures. I appreciate it and i know others do too even if they don't comment.
:)

Good evening Desertsrose! And thank you for taking the time to read these blogs and respond. Though I am sure that people are reading the blogs, not too many are responding. Unfortunately, there are many who do not like to read the book of Revelation, but are eager to teach us on it.

Regarding genuine faith and apostasy, I am one who believes that the salvation is obtained by faith and that it must be maintained through that same faith. Therefore, I believe that one who has received Christ can wander away from faith and go back into living according to the sinful nature. To others it is black and white. They will say, "well, that person wasn't really a Christian then." However, that is not true, as there are many scriptures that demonstrate true believers not remaining in faith and suffering the consequences for it. As an example of this, consider the following:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the master has put in charge of the servants in his household to give them their food at the proper time? It will be good for that servant whose master finds him doing so when he returns. Truly I tell you, he will put him in charge of all his possessions.

But suppose that servant is wicked and says to himself, ‘My master is staying away a long time,’ and he then begins to beat his fellow servants and to eat and drink with drunkards. The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the scripture above, the servant who says "my master is staying away a long time and begins to beat his fellow servants and eat and drink with drunkards" in this example is one who is put in charge of other believers and is basically inferring that this person goes back into willfully living according to the sinful nature. Notice that in his fallen state that he is still referred to as "a servant." If a believer is in that state, they would no longer be having faith. And because they have not remained in Christ, while in that state they can no longer produce fruit. In that state they are no longer being transformed into the image of the Lord. Yet they were true believers. All of the warnings that Paul wrote are to believers, not unbelievers. Consider the following example in James:

"My brothers, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring him back, consider this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death and cover over a multitude of sins." (James 5:18)

In the scripture above, James refers to those he is writing as brothers and sisters (believers). Notice that while those brothers and sisters are in that wandered state, that they are accumulating a multitude of sins and are on their way to death as long as they remain in that wandered state. It is only when another believer turns them back from that state or by some other means, that a multitude of sins are covered and are saved from death. The scripture is not talking about unbelievers here, but believers who have gone back into the world, willfully living according to the sinful nature. Here again, the OSAS group would revert to, "well then, they weren't really Christians." Regarding "once saved, always saved" consider what Paul says in his letter to the Colossians and Hebrews.

"Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior. But now he has reconciled you by Christ’s physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation—if you continue in your faith, established and firm, and do not move from the hope held out in the gospel. " (Col.1:23)

"We have come to share in Christ, if indeed we hold our original conviction firmly to the very end." (Heb.3:14)

If a believer was once saved, always saved regardless of what we do, then all of the warnings throughout the word of God would make no sense. The letters to the churches would make no sense. As I stated in the blog, the fact that Jesus says regarding that person who repents and is victorious "I will never blot out that persons name from the book of life. The opposite however, would prove to be true for those who are not victorious. Nor will they walk with Him wearing white.

Notice the consequences for that servant in the scripture above, who begins to beat his fellow servants and begins to eat and drink with drunkards, which is basically representing living in the sinful nature, partying, drunkenness, sexual immorality, etc. If Jesus comes and finds believers living in that state when He returns, "He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

That doesn't sound like OSAS to me.

There is a big difference between one who has repented and is fighting to overcome the sinful nature, who is always going to God asking for forgiveness, opposed to those believers who are no longer resisting the sinful nature but are willfully engaging in it.

Look at the promises and the warnings in the letters to the churches and then reverse the promise and apply the consequences to the one who is not victorious.

What are your feelings regarding this issue?
 
It does appear that God is leaving it up to them as to whether or not they're going to repent. I can see what you mean that OSAS would not make sense because none of the warnings as to salvation would make sense at all.


I've studied this in the past and got to the point where I decided all the the scriptures that seem to contradict would work if the one who doesn't obey, was not saved to begin with. I see the perseverance of the saints, but I also see those who fall away.


But looking at this again, I see that the Lord is saying here ....... “Remember, then, what you have received and heard. Keep it and repent. If you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know the hour when I will come upon you.”


So He really is telling the believer to remember what they've received and heard and to keep it (obey). It's up to their repentance and God is not going to do that for them.


They're asleep to all of gospel truth they've heard and received at this point so He's saying, "Wake up!" "Repent!" If they don't repent they will lose what they have and will not be clothed in white garments and will be blotted out of the book of life because of what God says here .......

....... 4But you do have a few people in Sardis who have not soiled their garments, and because they are worthy, they will walk with Me in white. 5Like them, the one who is victorious will be clothed in white garments. And I will never blot out his name from the book of life, but I will confess his name before My Father and His angels. 6He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.



The Colossians and Hebrews reference you posted, I could still imagine that these didn't have genuine faith and are the soils in the parable that are bad soil and not the good soil because they didn't persevere.


But this in Sardis does seem like they really have faith and are about to lose it if they don't repent. I will revisit this. I have a book I recently purchased that is about the fallacy of OSAS, so I'll be reading it as well.


I know the popular view is OSAS, but I could never use that term because it tells believers that they're secure no matter what they do or how they live. And that always seemed wrong, so like I said, I found that calling those who don't persevere as not true Christians was what I fell back on which seemed to balance out the confusing scriptures or at least the ones that seemed to contradict.


So it's time for me to consider all this again especially after reading the warnings in Revelation. Thanks for taking the time to explain your views. I really appreciate it. The Sardis saints that wouldn't repent were about to lose the salvation they received and believed in. That's pretty plain language.
 
this is a really great post bro, thanks for taking the time to be thorough and actually stick to the Word, really edifying stuff in both the blog and the comments from yourself and sister DR.


I like How you looked from this letter, back to the Gospel and saw the connection to Jesus Words. I have believed that doing this will bring always a greater understanding as we Grow, and there are so many connections almost everything in the Word connects to something Jesus taught.

Good stuff appreciate you sharing your study, God bless
 
followjesus;bt22964 said:
this is a really great post bro, thanks for taking the time to be thorough and actually stick to the Word, really edifying stuff in both the blog and the comments from yourself and sister DR.


I like How you looked from this letter, back to the Gospel and saw the connection to Jesus Words. I have believed that doing this will bring always a greater understanding as we Grow, and there are so many connections almost everything in the Word connects to something Jesus taught.

Good stuff appreciate you sharing your study, God bless

Good day FollowJesus!

You are very welcome and thank you for taking the time to read it. I had been thinking about doing a teaching on the book of Revelation, but never committed to it until Desertsrose wrote me stating that I should do one. Just fyi, there are several other blogs that are listed in chapter and verse order up to the church of Sardis, so far. If you are interested in starting from the beginning of Revelation, just click on "Christian Blogs" at the top of the screen, then on "Members Blogs" and then on "Ahwatukee" and it will take you to all of the blogs done so far on Revelation, allowing you to start from the beginning. The church of Philadelphia is next.

Thanks again for you input. Questions and discussion are encouraged. Hope to see you out there.