Lol the catch is that you have to have witnessed John receiving the Revelation for you to establish such matter.
Aw shucks! Oh well, I tried
Lol the catch is that you have to have witnessed John receiving the Revelation for you to establish such matter.
And you are entitled to believe what you want to. I see it differently.
Rev 1:20 The mystery of the seven stars which you saw in My right hand, and the seven golden lampstands: The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands which you saw are the seven churches.
Notice that verse 1 of chapter 2 launches into the messages to THE SEVEN CHURCHES?
These the only churches in existence at this time? What about Corinth? What about Rome? Thessalonica? Philippi? These are not THE churches?
Yes, the use of the definite article "the" is frequently used in normal language. I wouldn't make a big deal over it, especially when he specifies 7 churches by name in Asia Minor.
And leaves out the churches that were significant enough to comprise some of the Holy Scriptures with? Yeah, I think it rather important to note.
What does this have to do with interpretation of the book of Revelation and recognition of it's intended audience?
The church eras are significant in understanding the timeframes involved.
Whether one understands the seven churches as church eras or all in the first century, this should be noted...
Rev 2:7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches;...
Rev 2:11 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches;...
Rev 2:17 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches;...
Rev 2:29 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.
Rev 3:6 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.
Rev 3:13 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.
Rev 3:22 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.
I am just kinda curious because I have seen similar claims before;
Where does it say the 7 Letters to the 7 Churches are as Ages or periods of time?
To be upfront, I personally do not think that Ages are being described. Though indeed, for those to whom it applies the answer to Laodicea is to be zealous therefore.
I am just kinda curious because I have seen similar claims before;
Where does it say the 7 Letters to the 7 Churches are as Ages or periods of time?
To be upfront, I personally do not think that Ages are being described. Though indeed, for those to whom it applies the answer to Laodicea is to be zealous therefore.
In a book that is prophetic in nature...
Rev 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:
And looks all the way down through time past the second coming of Christ...
Rev 1:7 Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.
To the New Heavens and New Earth...
Rev 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
Rev 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
Rev 21:3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
On throughout eternity...
Rev 22:1 And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.
Rev 22:2 In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.
Rev 22:3 And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him:
Rev 22:4 And they shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads.
Rev 22:5 And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.
Why would one suppose that two complete chapters (Rev 2 and 3) would be dedicated to events that were current at the time they were written and have no future meaning?
I do indeed believe Revelation is prophetic, that is very obvious from the text. I merely question whether the 7 Letters are in reference to Ages as this is not stated in the text. My thinking is closer to Bride's last post. I believe the events in Revelation will occur suddenly as opposed to progressively.
I do indeed believe Revelation is prophetic, that is very obvious from the text. I merely question whether the 7 Letters are in reference to Ages as this is not stated in the text. My thinking is closer to Bride's last post. I believe the events in Revelation will occur suddenly as opposed to progressively.
The events of the vengeance against natural Jerusalem is the "prophecy" of that Revelation, which occurred in AD 70. The scholarly understanding is that the Revelation was delivered to James, Pastor of the New Jerusalem Church in AD 69, the final message of impending doom for the old harlot, so that the New Jerusalem could escape.
I do indeed believe Revelation is prophetic, that is very obvious from the text. I merely question whether the 7 Letters are in reference to Ages as this is not stated in the text. My thinking is closer to Bride's last post. I believe the events in Revelation will occur suddenly as opposed to progressively.
The church eras are significant in understanding the timeframes involved.
The events of the vengeance against natural Jerusalem is the "prophecy" of that Revelation, which occurred in AD 70. The scholarly understanding is that the Revelation was delivered to James, Pastor of the New Jerusalem Church in AD 69, the final message of impending doom for the old harlot, so that the New Jerusalem could escape. Jesus takes care of His new fledgling ChurchSo the book isn't at all difficult to comprehend if we know this. It is a continuation of the Olivet prophecy. It also includes, as always, the finer points of the Gospel being preached as well, which is Timeless in it's scope, until the end.
Men of God whom I know also suggest that a duplicate much more massive vengeance will be poured out on Jerusalem more than before, to turn this place into a boiling cauldron of flame. Of that I can easily expect, the wickedness of this place. It has been suggested that since it will be 70 years since the Balfour declaration when the beast rose up out of the sea with it's deadly head wound and has been devouring the saints ever since then with the lies that are rampant now in the doctrines of dispensationalism that puts all the Hope of Israel off into some futuristic setting. Robbing the present application of understanding just leaves a person spiritually vacant, subject to being filled with all sorts of futuristic ideas from the self willed prophets.
"Blessed is He who readeth and understandeth the Words of this Prophecy" is what Jesus said about His Revelation of things "shortly to come to pass". If that isn't what each and every one of us in His "now" is hoping for when reading it, it is a worthless waste of time to read it. Receive it please little children. Don't bother with those who take it from you and place it into the future to some other place, some other time, and some other people. It is for you now, where you are at. Today
Peace!