The Church of Pergamos
Revelation 2:12-17
Someone said that I should use some history of the time in my studies so I am going to redo the Church of Pergamos and add some of the history.
Lets ask a God to open our eyes and ears to see, here and understand what He is teaching us. We ask this in Jesus name Amen.
Remember John is in the Spirit; Jesus is giving His state of the church To the Star (angle) for the candlestick (church) and John is writing about it so we can test our church and make sure that we are in a good church.
Verse 12. And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write; These things saith he which hath the sharp sword with two edges:
These things saith He which hath the sharp sword with two edges: This is Jesus speaking to us, giving us the information we need to make sure we are in the right place, right church, These are types of christian churches here today, and real churches back in 90 A.D. Jesus said He would never leaves us wanting & I have foretold you all things. The church of Pergamos was in the city of Mysia a Roman province in Asia
Verse13. I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan's seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth.
I know thy works: Pergamos I (Jesus) know what is going on in your church. He can and dose say the same thing to every church around the world today and well until He returns. Do you have ears to hear what He is saying? Even where Satan's seat is? They had all types of pagan worship, they even had a temple built to Zeus. And thou holdest . . . where Satan dwelleth. Antipas was appointed Bishop of the Pergamos church. He mattered by being burned to death in a bronze or copper bull. His crime: He (the church) was converting to many of the idol worshipers to followers of Jesus Christ. Where Satan dwelleth: Do Not thank that Satan was physically there it was his spirit just as Jesus is not physically here then or know but The Holly Spirit is here with us. This is starting to sound like a great church.
Verse 14. But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumbling block before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.
But I have a few things against thee: Please know that God does not judge everyone in this church or any other as a whole; He looks at each person and looks at there heart; but the leadership of this church, the teaching of this church is what God is upset with and He is upset with the leadership of the church and those that follow and support that church.
Who is Balaam? You can read about him in Numbers chapter 22. He is the prophet that beat his donkey who saw an angle with a fiery sword turned off the road, did what ever it could to stop him from getting both of them killed. Finely God let the donkey speak to Balaam that still did not stop him. God finely showed him the angle and he turned back. We will find out that still did not stop him from his mission to make that money.
Who was Balac, and what are the stumbling blocks? Balac was the king of the Moabites and they were at war with Israel. The king went to the prophet and bought him off so that he would help him defeat Israel(and in doing defeat God). Just what were the stumbling blocks? False teaching, Balac sent Moabite women into the temple to entice the men and woman into sexual immorality, taught them to eat food offered to idles, Got them to worship other things than God, and follow false teaching and doctrine. Remember just who taught all this to Balac. It was Balaam “a man of God” or so he said but he sold out God for money, power, and other riches. This is put in bold so that you take notice of it.
It was these practices that were going on in this church. It allowed false teaching, false doctrine, it allowed the putting of things family, sports, hobbies, ect before God. God wants you to enjoy all these things BUT He must come first and foremost in your life.
Verse 14. So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.
This is copied from the Smith's bible dictionary. Mingling themselves in the orgies of idolatrous feasts, they brought the impurities of those feasts into the meetings of the Christian Church. And all this was done, it must be remembered not simply as an indulgence of appetite: but as a part of a system, supported by a "doctrine," accompanied by the boast of a prophetic illumination, (2 Peter 2:1) It confirms the view which has been taken of their character to find that stress is laid in the first instance on the "deeds" of the Nicolaitans. To hate those deeds is a sign of life in a Church that otherwise is weak and faithless.
This kind of stuff is going on in many places today in the United States and around the world. The millennium will only be 1 year, Flesh Bodies will be raised out of the ground at the coming of Jesus, the list could go on and on. If you want to know if I thank something is right or wrong ask me.
Verse 15. Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.
Jesus makes this one real simple and very clear. Repent or else I will fight against you. I can guarantee you will not win that fight.
Verse 16. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.
Do you have an ear to hear? Are you being fed that hidden manna (the meat of the word) because if you are not you will not get that white stone and that new name.
May God bless you and give you eye to see and ears to hear, but I also hope He opens your heart and lets you clearly discern your church.
I am not in your church, and I will not judge you or your church. I do have the God given right and direction from Him to discern right from wrong based on His word.