Rich people

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 29, 2019
Last week I was out on the street and I walked by two men who were talking and just happened to hear one of them say, minus the explicitives, "I earn $1200 a week clear and I'm always broke. I don't understand it!"

And I thought, wow $1200 a week clear, how much money I could save toward buying our own home with that kind of money...

Money is not the problem!
This is a prime example of what happens with a lot of people who I've spoke with. The main and only reason for this is usually mismanagement of funds, buying liabilities using credit cards and taking out loans. Not buying assets often enough and not taking advantage of compound interest...

For example: Buying a new car that requires you to take out a loan. Then buying things using credit card when you dont have a way to pay off the debt by the end of the month leading you to paying interest. Paying of the lowest interest rate debts off first instead of paying ones that should be higher priority. Subscriptions also tend to kill the salery.

I personally found dividing up my monthly pay into days very helpful for example: if I earned 4k I would divide it up into 200 dollars x 20 days in a working month. Then I would calculate how many days do I need to work to pay my expenses (food, electricity, rent, subscriptions and so on)
In my case I lived with my friends so rent my expenses where very low. only about 1/20 of my wage or 2 days work. Everything else was spent on education and investments.
I also had 1 days wage set aside for having fun ( going to cinema, gym, eating out, or buying things I wanted)

if you haven't done so already make sure you know your expenses and have a budget plan to cover them from most expensive to least.

M

morefaithrequired

But I will say this. The following has become an escape clause for the rich:
"The love of money is the root of all evil".
Who doesnt love money. You mean you love poverty? Come on.
Money enables me to own the phone I'm typing on. I guess you could say that not owning a phone is the measure of being poor.
In my life, money went to my head. When i had it I surely didnt need God. I was too busy planning my next overseas vacation or dreaming about my next car upgrade.
Having less money and getting old has hastened my search for God. God was looking for me all the time but I didnt know that.
Wealth separates me from God. It makes me complacent and arrogant and status conscious. Having little money makes me frugal and closer to the Spirit. Just more appreciative. For me then, money is the root of all evil. I dont hate rich people. Maybe they learnt how to be humble with money. I never learnt the knack.

T

TheIndianGirl

The meaning of "rich" is always about perspective. I've been considered "rich" just because I have a full-time job by my student or housewife friends. Money is always a sticky issue with friends.

My church is downtown of a major city so there is a big range of wealth represented there, from poor on benefits to wealthy who own large homes. There is Section 8 housing nearby, and we have a ministry with inner city youth...so really all types of backgrounds represented at my church. Also a university area. Obviously you can tell that the wealthy are privileged. But, at the end of the day no one really cares how much money each of us has.

If money causes you to make immoral decisions, that's when you know you love money over God. For example, making a poor person feel bad about having no money/being boastful, or if you are cheating people out of their money, etc. However, if you have a lot of money but living morally, I think nothing wrong with that.

billsull

Aug 23, 2019
I agree that love of money is the root of all evil and might as well be allota money the root of all evil.

KhedetOrthos

Dec 13, 2019
Back in the 50's and 60's when I went to high school ( 9th-12th grade) in Arkansas, we had to buy all our text books.
That was tough on many kids, but we seemed to all have books.
Never understood why we could have sport uniforms and a new athletic bus every 5 years but no books.
I think sometimes these shortages are just a result of priorities.
Also, often government agencies engage in what’s called “Washington monumenting...” that is to deliberately create perceived budget shortfalls in the most visible and inconvenient ways possible in an effort to overcome public opposition to increased government funding. This may be an example of that.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.

blueluna5

Jul 30, 2018
Much has been said about the rich.
They are evil.
They love money.
They should pay more taxes.
They are crooks.
Most people are poor because of the rich.

What is your definition of rich?
What salary would one have to earn to be rich?
What net worth makes one rich?

Anyone in a developed country is rich.

I don't agree with any of the assumptions about rich people necessarily. I believe there is abundance and everyone is able to receive it. It's not one has it, so one does not. Rather it's sin and specific evil doers that suppress others.