Rightly dividing the word

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

maverich

Jun 27, 2017
How does someone rightly divide the word of God.
How do I know it's been rightly divide.
An example, deuteronomy.
On passover 2 identical goats are brought to the priest, one dies, one lives.
Foreshadowing Jesus, were there 2 identical before pilate and caiaphas

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
You are thinking about the Day of Atonement, and both goats represent Christ.

Nov 23, 2013
An example, deuteronomy.
From my experience rightly dividing means to discern between literal things and spiritual things i.e. Israel can refer to flesh descendants and it can refer to spiritual descendants. Another would be Jerusalem, it can be earthly Jerusalem of spiritual Jerusalem.

luigi

Dec 6, 2015
An example, deuteronomy.
When someone brings two, three, or more scriptures that corroborate each other and provide a clear picture to the meaning of something, you then have the Word divided rightly, as had the Bereans, who regularly studied the scriptures.
In contrast, the Jews Paul earlier encountered in Thessalonica, were less familiar with scriptures and thereby rejected Paul, and Jesus, as they were unable to divide the Word correctly.

Acts 17:10 And the brethren immediately sent away Paul and Silas by night unto Berea: who coming thither went into the synagogue of the Jews.
11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

maverich

Jun 27, 2017
It is the day of atonement me bad
Actually there were to alike men in front of pilate, 1 a scape goat and 1 a sacrificial goat
Jesus (Son of God)
Barabbas (bar meaning son)
(Abbas meaning father)
1 is the son of God and 1 is the son of the Father
The word rightly divided and interpreted

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
1 is the son of God and 1 is the son of the Father
The word rightly divided and interpreted
The Word WRONGLY DIVIDED AND INTERPRETED.

Your username accurately represents your maverick ideas.

Barabbas was a CRIMINAL. He could no more take away anyone's sins than the thieves on their crosses. As I already said, both goats represented Christ, since Christ not only died for the sins of the whole world but He also TOOK AWAY the sin of the world.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
dispensationalist view?

dividing the Word between what they think applies to the Jews and what applies to the Church
(funny thing here)
they think one group will be in the new heaven and the other in the new earth

covenant view of theology?

says it simply means accurately teaching the Word One group ......... two Covenants ...... both will be together in the new heaven and the new earth that this plan presents one plan pf redemption

In 2 Timothy, Paul used the Greek word orthotomeo for "dividing"
My understanding is that it means to "cut a straight path"

He did not use katatomeo which I understand means to "cut into sections"

With my limited understanding, I'm going to lean towards "cutting a STRAIGHT PATH" through the Word to assure a clear understanding and to reach that without any unnecessary deviations such as "which Scripture applies ONLY to Jews, and which applies to the Church, and, hey, which applies to BOTH?"

This appears to be a shot at justifying the TWO GOSPEL ideology? Is that right? If so, then I vote NAY!

maverich

Jun 27, 2017
I guess there's a difference between, maverick ideas, and traditions of men.
2 goats one has the priests lay hands on transfering the sins of the nation on to him.
Nehemiah6 that would be barabbas. He is then set free, and driven. Into the wilderness.
That represents me, can't say us, be free from what I deserve.
The other goat, Jesus is then sacrificed.
What you wrote to me nehemiah6 is irresponsible and childish representing your father fully.

P

pottersclay

If I'm not mistaking the scape goat was used to repersent unknown sin.

It's been awhile and this is just off the top of my head but Jesus was both. He was the sacraficial lamb but also because being crucified out side the walls of Jerusalem he is also the scape goat.

P

pottersclay

Barabus was a picture of jesus's ministry quoted from Isaiah to set the prisoners free. Barabus was a murderer and zelot against Rome.
God shares his glory with no one therefore using his namesake is a error imo to say he was the scape goat.

As I said it's been a few years but I think I got it right. Feel free to correct me.

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
I guess there's a difference between, maverick ideas, and traditions of men.
2 goats one has the priests lay hands on transfering the sins of the nation on to him.
Nehemiah6 that would be barabbas. He is then set free, and driven. Into the wilderness.
That represents me, can't say us, be free from what I deserve.
The other goat, Jesus is then sacrificed.
"The Two Goats of Leviticus 16" [excerpt]

The Two Goats Of Leviticus 16
"The "limited atonement" doctrine is built upon a premise that lacks understanding of the two views of the cross of Christ as regards His work, that is, propitiation and substitution. The types used on the day of atonement in Leviticus 16 are set aside in deference to a theory, a doctrine of men (be they good men or bad is not the point). On that memorable day, which occurred once a year in Israel's history, there were, among other similitudes two goats - one called the Lord's lot, and the other the people's. The goat of the Lord's lot was killed and its blood taken inside of the veil by the high priest, where he sprinkled the blood once upon the mercy seat and seven times on the desert sand before it. It was there above the mercy seat that God dwelt among the people, and as they were sinners He must needs have the evidence of death presented before Him - the blood was sprinkled there. This was propitiation - a satisfaction rendered to God whereby He could act in grace toward a sinful people. On the head of the other goat, the sins of the people were confessed by the high priest, and it was led into a land not inhabited, so that their sins were removed. This was substitution.
In a sense, both goats are one in the matter of sin - the one being slain and its blood presented before God, and the other bearing the sins away to be remembered no more - for without the blood of the one goat there could be no bearing away of sins on the other. Let us notice the words of another:
Denial Of Substitution
"There is a continual tendency in the different classes, even of believers in Christendom, to ignore one or other of these truths. […]"

--Paul Wilson [bold mine]

[more at link--note the FOUR Sections from the Section quoted above (scroll down to find the above-quoted Section and following)]

http://biblecentre.org/content.php?mode=7&item=892

maverich

Jun 27, 2017
Sorry I was speaking at college level.
Let me simplify this
Jesus and I are before caiaphas. He's innocent I am guilty, I am the son of the father, that's biblical.
I deserve to die, Jesus deserves to live.
I am set free into the wilderness. To wander aimlessly, the innocent Jesus is killed and his blood sprinkled on the alter.
That is the Gospel hidden in the 2 goats

Mar 28, 2016
Interestingly the word divide in the Strongs lexicon

1. to separate into parts, cut into pieces
    1. to divide into parties, i.e. be split into factions
  2. to distribute
    1. a thing among people
    2. bestow, impart............................................................….Does it appose adding or subtracting? Does it mean as in parables divide the literal or letter from of the unseen spiritual as in faith to faith? Whatever it is its is how we can seek His approval.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Interestingly the word divide in the Strongs lexicon

1. to separate into parts, cut into pieces
    1. to divide into parties, i.e. be split into factions
  2. to distribute
    1. a thing among people
    2. bestow, impart............................................................….Does it appose adding or subtracting? Does it mean as in parables divide the literal or letter from of the unseen spiritual as in faith to faith? Whatever it is its is how we can seek His approval.

dispensationalist view?

dividing the Word between what they think applies to the Jews and what applies to the Church

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
In a sense, both goats are one in the matter of sin - the one being slain and its blood presented before God, and the other bearing the sins away to be remembered no more
I have already pointed this out to Maverick, but he continues to persist in his false beliefs.

Mar 28, 2016
I have already pointed this out to Maverick, but he continues to persist in his false beliefs.
I would offer. The central difference between sheep and goats seems really simple. It's an idea that we can come back to when we need to stay on track: A sheep is led by its shepherd. A goatherd is led by his goat as wild kind of the wilderness.

Leviticus 16:10 But the goat, on which the lot fell to be the scapegoat, shall be presented alive before the Lord, to make an atonement with him, and to let him go for a scapegoat into the wilderness.

You could say at the beginning of the ministry of Christ as the Son of man after he was baptized introducing the new priesthood of believers after the new order of Melchezidec .

In Mathew 4 the lamb of God was sent into the wilderness as our scapegoat to be tried and succeeded .The devil left after the third.... as it is written.

Matthew 4 King James Version (KJV) Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
An example, deuteronomy.
There are some questions you can use to understand scripture:

Who is talking to whom?

What is the occasion ?

What is the subject?

What is the time and place?

You may not get everything answered but can get enough for a decent picture of what the scripture is saying

Nov 23, 2013
Barabus was a picture of jesus's ministry quoted from Isaiah to set the prisoners free. Barabus was a murderer and zelot against Rome.
God shares his glory with no one therefore using his namesake is a error imo to say he was the scape goat.

As I said it's been a few years but I think I got it right. Feel free to correct me.
I think setting the prisoners free is talking about the people in Abraham's bosom.

P

pottersclay

I think setting the prisoners free is talking about the people in Abraham's bosom.
Absolutely but weren't we all prisoners of one type or another. Slaves to sin, under the law.
If the son sets you free you are free indeed.

Much like the event that Jesus made mud out of his spittle rubbing it on the eyes of the blind man.......showing that Christ indeed is the Potter and we the clay.😃😃😃