Romance

  • Thread starter Thread starter Habit
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
H

Habit

Guest
Hi. Is it wrong for Christians to read books like 50 shades of grey and the likes?
 
Well... I haven't read it
but, here's a guideline:
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
 
50 Shades is just verbal porn, really.
And most modern 'romance' novels for women are just womens porn. Less visual, but has the same kind of affect.
It also creates a false concept of romance in a womans mind, a very secular, wishful type of romance, and sets up unrealistic expectations.
But 50 Shades is just SMBD for the mainstream. Which i think is pretty disgusting, personally.
 
50 Shades is just verbal porn, really.
And most modern 'romance' novels for women are just womens porn. Less visual, but has the same kind of affect.
It also creates a false concept of romance in a womans mind, a very secular, wishful type of romance, and sets up unrealistic expectations.
But 50 Shades is just SMBD for the mainstream. Which i think is pretty disgusting, personally.
Yes.
I used to watch romantic movies. Doris Day and Rock Hudson. Very decent. I watched it and thought: neeeeh this ain't good. God can I watch this?
Then I saw a program on youtube from the ex wife of Rock Hudson, how they lied to her and she was so naive, she really loved him. Her whole life ruined. She said she couldn't watch those movies. I thought: me neither now that I heard this.
There's one romantic movie I believe is okay. The man was happily married irl:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nxfonBgZ7DU
 
If it's true romance your looking for you should read "the song of solomon"
 
Thanks guys I just wanted advice from a Christian perspective. I want to stop reading romance novels and watching movies. I totally agree on the creating unrealistic expectations part.
 
Hi, any men want to chat and get to know one another?
Howdy Leighbo79 and welcome to the forum.

I'm guessing you read ONLY the thread title and did NOT read what this thread is about. :oops:
 
I am not interested in such but they are mainly intended for a female audience
 
Someone mentioned song of solomon. There's a chapter in which he goes on this tangent about his lover's breasts.
I don't feel like I needed that information
 
I'm currently working on publishing my first Christian Fiction novel, that has an honest romance in it. Part of the overall story is about two people from different backgrounds who God brings together. He's too independent because of an unfortunate childhood and she has fought to be independent because she is blind and doesn't want to be a burden on anyone. He is trying to make up for the mistakes of his past and she needs to break the chains of a traumatic and tragic past that holds her captive and keeps her from healing and moving forward in her life. The book shows the ups and downs of the journey they both take to overcome their pasts and to try and forge a path into the future, together. But like real life, it isn't always that simple.