Romans 1

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Can someone help me out with these two verses? I got really scared after reading them, keeping the unrighteous under punishment until the judgement day. This really worries me.

9 then the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from trials, and to keep the unrighteous under punishment until the day of judgment, 10 and especially those who indulge in the lust of defiling passion and despise authority. Bold and willful, they do not tremble as they blaspheme the glorious ones, (2 Peter 2:9-10, ESV)
If you are in Christ then by the power and grace of God you are seen as righteous.

This section is talking about the ungodly who are bold and willing to do such defiling lifestyles with no acknowledgement of God's power to judge the wicked. They continually spoke evil against God and the Heavenly realm.

If you are in Christ then you shouldn't be afraid but instead thankful Jesus died for your sins.

Mar 28, 2016
Can someone help me out with these two verses? I got really scared after reading them, keeping the unrighteous under punishment until the judgement day. This really worries me.

9 then the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from trials, and to keep the unrighteous under punishment until the day of judgment, 10 and especially those who indulge in the lust of defiling passion and despise authority. Bold and willful, they do not tremble as they blaspheme the glorious ones, (2 Peter 2:9-10, ESV)

He keeps the unrighteous condemned already because they have no faith that comes from hearing God. Keeping them under punishment by not giving the authority of the gospel to be saved .

He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.John3;18

He that believes on him is not condemned. They are given the confidence when they do sin that he will call them to reppentance. No repentance a work of God for the unbeliver.

Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

I would suggest the accuser of the brethren accusing Christian day and night before God.

Unbelievers no need to accuse they are already condemned because they have no faith that could please.

Revelation 12:10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night

Mar 28, 2016
If you are in Christ then by the power and grace of God you are seen as righteous.

This section is talking about the ungodly who are bold and willing to do such defiling lifestyles with no acknowledgement of God's power to judge the wicked. They continually spoke evil against God and the Heavenly realm.

If you are in Christ then you shouldn't be afraid but instead thankful Jesus died for your sins.
Yes, that would be a improper fear causing one to hide..

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
9 then the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from trials, and to keep the unrighteous under punishment until the day of judgment,
10 and especially those who indulge in the lust of defiling passion and despise authority. Bold and willful, they do not tremble as they blaspheme the glorious ones, (2 Peter 2:9-10, ESV)
Hi Cologne, this is a pretty dark and frightening chapter in many ways, so you'll want to make sure that you understand v9-10 in context, yes? So, you may want to go back and take a close look at Chapter 2 as a whole (esp. if you have not already done so) so that you can get a general sense of who it was written to, what and/or who was it written about, and why it was written.

It also helps to take a ~very~ careful look at what is written in the verses in question, and I think that the following might be a good place to do just that:

1. Who do you believe the "godly" are in v9 (the ones who the Lord rescues from trails)?
2. Who are the "unrighteous" (in that same verse ... IOW, those who the Lord keeps under punishment for condemnation and judgment at the Great White Throne)?​
3. Which group, 1. the "godly" or 2. the "unrighteous", do you believe that you belong to .. and why :unsure:

Thanks!

~Deut

Heyjude

Sep 7, 2019
Cologne hear this.

If you are worried you are not accepted by God because you have listened to false preachers or if someone is telling you otherwise, (which is the "accuser" in disguise") then remember, even James and John were misled over what should be done with sinners sometimes.

The Samaritans for instance, were full of pride and carnal ambition and James and John asked Jesus if they should destroy them. (Remember this if you ever hear a false preacher say otherwise and quote them this Scripture, as they do not know the Word of God)

"And it came to pass, when the time was come that he should be received up, he steadfastly set his face to go to Jerusalem,

And sent messengers before his face: and they went, and entered into a village of the Samaritans, to make ready for him.

But they did not receive Him, because His face was set for the journey to Jerusalem.

And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did?

But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of.

For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them. And they went to another village."

Luke 9:51-56

Anyone that tells you that you are condemned, quote the Word of God.

Luke 15:4-7,32

What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he loses one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it? …

Luke 5:31,32

And Jesus answering said unto them, They that are whole need not a physician; but they that are sick…

John 3:17

For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through Him.

1 Timothy 1:15

This is a trustworthy saying, worthy of full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the worst.

And yes, if you feel you need anti - depressants, maybe that is the answer if you feel you cannot cope without them.

They have their place, but should not be the FIRST PORT OF CALL as your problems do not go away just because you take anti - depressants. The Word of God is healing as it is the truth. Don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise.

But regarding anti - depressants, remember Jordan Peterson and what has happened to him recently. Pay attention to that. And if you are being accused by anyone who is making you feel you are not worthy of God. Remember this.

I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance” Luke 5; 3-2

Cologne

Jul 24, 2017
Hi Cologne, this is a pretty dark and frightening chapter in many ways, so you'll want to make sure that you understand v9-10 in context, yes? So, you may want to go back and take a close look at Chapter 2 as a whole (esp. if you have not already done so) so that you can get a general sense of who it was written to, what and/or who was it written about, and why it was written.

It also helps to take a ~very~ careful look at what is written in the verses in question, and I think that the following might be a good place to do just that:

1. Who do you believe the "godly" are in v9 (the ones who the Lord rescues from trails)?
2. Who are the "unrighteous" (in that same verse ... IOW, those who the Lord keeps under punishment for condemnation and judgment at the Great White Throne)?​
3. Which group, 1. the "godly" or 2. the "unrighteous", do you believe that you belong to .. and why :unsure:

Thanks!

~Deut
I have been feeling unrighteous for all of the bad I have done in my life, and yes, I have walked away from God before, and because of that, I think He has said ok, go your own way, you are unrighteous and your punishment will come on judgement day. Maybe that's the black and white of the Borderline speaking, I just want to keep honest here and answer that way. I really need help. I guess I'll speak to my pastor once again. I'm scared, really scared.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Hi again @Cologne, whenever I have a serious a problem, I normally call and stay in close contact with my pastor, so I think that your idea to do that is a great one (y)(y)

Also, if you are a child of God (and it seems to me that you are, based upon everything that you've told us in this thread so far), then you need to be careful to NOT listen to your feelings (which are often directed by our common enemy's lies and deceptions). Rather, you need to listen to God/His word, and begin to choose to take Him at His word .. no matter what your "feelings" and/or Satan's lies/deceptions are telling you in the moment .. James 4:7.

Also, when horrible/confusing/frightening thoughts first start to invade your mind, you need to immediately take them, "captive", and hand them over to the Lord to deal with .. 2 Corinthians 10:5.

~Deut
p.s. - here's one of my favorite Spurgeon quotes + one of my favorite Scripture verses. If you have the time, carefully consider what both of them are saying as I believe they may prove to be both helpful and a comfort to you :)

He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that
we might become the righteousness of God in Him.

2 Corinthians 5:21

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
That was encouraging. The strong tablets have gotten me to feel better, we'll see how they work. I've been so down for such a long time and have beaten myself to a pulp over bad things that I have done. It made me very negative and extremely hard on myself, I have Borderline as well, so that doesn't make it easier. I need to willfully start off by just maybe getting to like myself a bit, the self hate and loathing have been with me for a long long time. So one moment after another, step by step, hour by hour,, day by day. Thanks.
Meds and feelings are temporary. You need to make peace with God.
I was in your exact position at one time. I didn’t even want to hear anything about the Lord, and even felt condemnation if I heard a Christian song. I thought the Lord was done with me and I was lost.

Years later I found myself on my knees praying to Him and distinctly heard and saw Him for a second that seemed much longer. He told me ALL my sins were forgiven. It was a moment of peace that I hadn’t known for more than half a dozen years, that extends to this day.

If you are His child He will seek and draw you back to Him. If you were not His child you would care a less about sin, and seeking Him.

Seek Him. He is waiting for you with open Arms.

Cologne

Jul 24, 2017
Thank you. I just have such strong guilt and shame for what I all did. With that comes the rejection that I also feel. I've been accepted into a trauma clinic, the waiting time is 6 to 8 months, I hope I can hold on that long, oh Lord Jesus, please make me clean and shed all of this unbearable pain. Help me to remember that there is no condemnation to those who belong to the Lord. I hope I have been accepted by You. You know that I did not really have parents growing up and that this has affected me greatly until this day, no happy childhood and then going on to do all of the wickedness and evilness I did, help me please to overcome this with victory in You!

Mar 23, 2016
Agreeing with you in prayer, Cologne.

At the we are born again, we are made clean ... God casts our sin from us as far as the east is from the west:

Psalm 103:

10 He (God) does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities.

11 For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him;

12 as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us.

After we are born again and made clean, if/when we sin, we are instructed to confess our sins and God is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9).

Since God removes our sin from us as far as the east is from the west, our sin is removed. What is not removed is our memory of sins we have committed. Every time we recall sins we have committed in the past and which we know God has forgiven, we need to recall Scripture where we are told we have been cleansed and made righteous. Find those precious promises in Scripture and keep those words in your heart. Then, when those old memories crop up, replace those thoughts with the promises in God's Word.

And please realize that this is a life long process. Over time, we learn to trust God and He increases and strengthens our faith and we learn that God's Word is more true than those feelings of guilt and shame.

As far as the pain you feel in your heart, there are some wonderful verses in Scripture which tell us that we will not always be stuck here in this life and that God has a plan for our future:

Romans 8:

15 So you have not received a spirit that makes you fearful slaves. Instead, you received God's Spirit when he adopted you as his own children. Now we call him, "Abba, Father."

16 For his Spirit joins with our spirit to affirm that we are God's children.

17 And since we are his children, we are his heirs. In fact, together with Christ we are heirs of God's glory. But if we are to share his glory, we must also share his suffering.

18 Yet what we suffer now is nothing compared to the glory he will reveal to us later.

2 Corinthians 4:

14 We know that God, who raised the Lord Jesus, will also raise us with Jesus and present us to himself together with you.

15 All of this is for your benefit. And as God's grace reaches more and more people, there will be great thanksgiving, and God will receive more and more glory.

16 That is why we never give up. Though our bodies are dying, our spirits are being renewed every day.

17 For our present troubles are small and won't last very long. Yet they produce for us a glory that vastly outweighs them and will last forever!

18 So we don't look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever.

We have to keep our eyes on Scripture and allow God to work in our hearts to heal us. if we look to ourselves and our behavior, we will always feel inadequate. If we look at the world and the behaviors in others, we will be discouraged at the things we see which are not godly and which Scripture warns us about.

I hope and pray that you continue to look to God, the Father of mercies and the God of all comfort, and continue to look to the Lord Jesus Christ as He is the One who we are yoked together with and He helps us with our burdens in this life. Remain strong in the Lord Jesus Christ ... keep reading Scripture and let it sink down deep in your heart ... keep looking to Father to bring to pass that which He has promised.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
Romans 1 teaches that God gives up men burning in their passion for one another to a depraved and reprobate mind. Does this mean God has given up on me as a homosexual, not currently practicing but did it a lot, to my own shame and great sorrow? I beg and beg for Him to take the gay away, He hasn't and maybe that's the confirmation that He has given up on me.
The scriptures do teach that being homosexual is a sin. It is no bigger sin that all of his born again children commit. If you are included in those that God gave Jesus to die for, John 6:38, and I believe by your confession, you are, then Jesus paid for that sin, as he did for all the rest of your sins and you are secure in going to heaven, because Jesus said that none that he died for would be lost, but raised up at the last day. I have a dearly loved sister that has the same problem, because when she was 16 she was gang raped by four boys.

DeighAnn

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy
Jun 11, 2019
Thank you. Yes, I believe that Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior and I have accepted Him as that. I just struggle so badly and I feel that I just cannot go on at times. I never really had a father or mother figure growing up, so I had to basically learn right from wrong on my own. Unfortunately, I've done more wrong than right. I just hope that Jesus stays with me. Thanks for your encouragement.
That totally is terrible. It isn't like a bottle you can walk away from. But it is under your control.

I see you have gotten a lot of great and Godly advice, but that doesn't stop all those brain chemicals and glands from producing all those thought s and feelings you are left fighting, wondering which part is the "real" you and which part if the "flesh" surrounding you. Sorry I can' t help with the "gay" part I know nothing about that but I do know a bit about "fixing" what ails us long enough to NOT arrive in heaven to a God all pissed off at the one who killed one of His Sons, namely you. God didn't say it would be easy but He did give us power and actions and it is time you took advantage of them.

Use the power over evil and cast that demon out. In the name of Jesus get thee hence Satan. YOU have to invoke that power yourself. No one can do it for you.

Repent and be forgiven. But pray and really get a hold of this>God Himself loved you so much that not only did He create you, when He figured out you couldn't get back to Him without some help He came and was beat to a pulp, humiliated, and crucified so that the INFINITE VALUE of HIS BLOOD would wash you clean. Do you really get that??? FORGIVEN. We are all sinners and all have crosses to bear.

Isaiah 53:1 Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed?
Isaiah 53:2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.
Isaiah 53:3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
Isaiah 53:4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
Isaiah 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
Isaiah 53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.
Isaiah 53:7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.
Isaiah 53:8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.
Isaiah 53:9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.
Isaiah 53:10 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.
Isaiah 53:11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

Isaiah 53:12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

Jesus did this for US. So

go get some unleaven cracker and wine and take the body and blood of Christ.

Here is something I very rarely hear mentioned but has been a practice of mine, and has helped more than words can describe.
Daniel 10:2 In those days I Daniel was mourning three full weeks.
Daniel 10:3 I ate no pleasant bread, neither came flesh nor wine in my mouth, neither did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.

Did you catch all of that. Fasting and prayer. But, what really caught me off guard when I first read this was HE DID NOT ANOINT HIMSELF FOR 3 WEEKS. When I read this I thought, 3 weeks? I haven't anointed myself 3 times. That was then. No, I have not had a "miraculous" healing, but I have had a slow and very noticeable one. And all it takes is for you to find a little vial, go get some olive oil, put it in the vial, ask God to Bless it, and to start anointing yourself daily.

After 37 chapters of words without knowledge, and all the hell Job had gone through, What does God say when He first starts speaking to Job?
Job 38:1 Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said,

Job 38:2 Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge?

Job 38:3 Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me.

Get on the offensive, study the Word and abstain.

I pray this will help you as it has me.