Sabbath

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 19, 2009
Hi, I am trying to keep God's Holy day in the correct way, I do not go to a church because there are only two churches in the village in which I live and although I have been asked to join one of them, they do not keep God's Holy day on a Saturday.

I wondered if any one else have the same problem, and if so what you do.
To deprive yourself of a church due to a technicality is sad.

lastofall

Aug 26, 2014
"..is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath days?" (Matthew 12:10)
"..it is lawful to do well on the Sabbath days." (Matthew 12:12)

"The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath." (Mark 2:27)

Sac49

Jun 26, 2016
And how do you know you live for GOD the way He wants you to if you will not be instructed by Him on the day HE has chosen ?
Scripture tells us that His ways and thoughts are much higher than ours....when, where and how will you learn ? You may well have the right ideas but they are just YOURS, they are not the way GOD wants you to do. If we want to be Sons of God we must learn OBEDIENCE as Jesus did Heb 5v8,9.
Be very careful here in your accusations of me "living for God" if i do not "obey" the Sabbath. This very close to a pharasitical remark. This is a judgement against my faith, or anoyone elses faith, if we do not obey the Sabbath, which is an OT cerimonial law.

Mark 2:27,28 the Sabbath was made for man not the man for the Sabbath and Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath. We now have Jesus in us which means we no longer must set apart one day for communion with God. We can now, under the new covenant, commune with God any time any where. Every day is the Sabbath if you have Jesus in you. We now have the Holy Spirit so that we can speak with God.

Please do not get me wrong here. I do not look down upon anyone who may still follow the law of the Sabbath. What i do not think kindly of is someone who tells me that I cannot follow God if i do not set apart a specific day for the Lord under the new covenant. I am covered by the blood of Jesus and i set apart every day for the Lord. And i live my life to glorify Him. The Sabbath was an OT cerimonial law which under the new covenant we dont have to follow to be followers of Christ because He now resides in us not only in the temple. Our bodies are now the temple in which He dwells.

beta

Aug 8, 2016
Be very careful here in your accusations of me "living for God" if i do not "obey" the Sabbath. This very close to a pharasitical remark. This is a judgement against my faith, or anoyone elses faith, if we do not obey the Sabbath, which is an OT cerimonial law.

Mark 2:27,28 the Sabbath was made for man not the man for the Sabbath and Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath. We now have Jesus in us which means we no longer must set apart one day for communion with God. We can now, under the new covenant, commune with God any time any where. Every day is the Sabbath if you have Jesus in you. We now have the Holy Spirit so that we can speak with God.

Please do not get me wrong here. I do not look down upon anyone who may still follow the law of the Sabbath. What i do not think kindly of is someone who tells me that I cannot follow God if i do not set apart a specific day for the Lord under the new covenant. I am covered by the blood of Jesus and i set apart every day for the Lord. And i live my life to glorify Him. The Sabbath was an OT cerimonial law which under the new covenant we dont have to follow to be followers of Christ because He now resides in us not only in the temple. Our bodies are now the temple in which He dwells.
If you read my post more carefully you will see that I asked you questions and never told you what you should do....so don't be so quick to take offence. It is neither a judgement nor an accusation, simply questions you did not actually answer.
I ws not talking about worshipping Jesus only on a certain day since we can and should do so every day, anywhere. I am talking about 'receiving instruction from God on HIS appointed day. Some people believe that we should, but failing that we are offered an alternative by walking with Jesus 24/7 which of course would include receiving instruction on the sabbath. It was HIS custom to attend synagogue/church on the sabbath and surely a follower/disciple of His would be with Him at all times. A lot of people/christians are offended by this since they are obviously not walking with Him or following His steps. Somewhere they are going astray....but it's their choice.

beta

Aug 8, 2016
"..is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath days?" (Matthew 12:10)
"..it is lawful to do well on the Sabbath days." (Matthew 12:12)

"The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath." (Mark 2:27)
Why is it that people only think OT when the sabbath is mentioned ? We no longer keep it in the old way nor does immediate punishment follow upon breaking it. Jesus shows us a new way full of grace and forgiveness when we err but is not an excuse for continuing in it....breaking the law/commandments is sin 1Joh 3v4.

valiant

Mar 22, 2015
If you read my post more carefully you will see that I asked you questions and never told you what you should do....so don't be so quick to take offence. It is neither a judgement nor an accusation, simply questions you did not actually answer.
I ws not talking about worshipping Jesus only on a certain day since we can and should do so every day, anywhere. I am talking about 'receiving instruction from God on HIS appointed day. Some people believe that we should, but failing that we are offered an alternative by walking with Jesus 24/7 which of course would include receiving instruction on the sabbath. It was HIS custom to attend synagogue/church on the sabbath and surely a follower/disciple of His would be with Him at all times. A lot of people/christians are offended by this since they are obviously not walking with Him or following His steps. Somewhere they are going astray....but it's their choice.
It was the custom of the early church to meet on the first day of the week. But Christians met when they could (they were slaves and had little choice.) . That is why Paul said it is enough that we keep one day to the Lord. Many Jewish Christians met on the Sabbath with the Jews and on the first day of the week with fellow Christians (as Jews they had special privileges).

Later Christians kept the Sabbath for doing good deeds (not resting), and the Sunday as a day or rest.

Maybe God knows better than we do,

valiant

Mar 22, 2015
Hi, I am trying to keep God's Holy day in the correct way, I do not go to a church because there are only two churches in the village in which I live and although I have been asked to join one of them, they do not keep God's Holy day on a Saturday.

I wondered if any one else have the same problem, and if so what you do.
God answered your question in Rom 14.5-7;

J

june123

I am sorry if my post upset anyone, it was not meant too.

I can not find any where in the Bible where God said we could chose which of the commandments we kept. Nor that we could change the day.

Yes Resurrection33, I chose not to join a church that does not keep the commandments,

I pray every day that God will put the truth in my heart and to show me the way.

Exodus 31:12–13 stresses again the truth that the sabbath signifies our utter reliance on God's grace.
And the Lord said to Moses, "Say to the people of Israel, You shall keep my sabbaths, for this is a sign between me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I, the Lord, sanctify you."
The sabbath is a sign. It points to a truth that we are never to forget. The truth is that God (and not we ourselves) has sanctified us. He has chosen us and set us apart and worked to make us distinct among the peoples of the earth.

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
"Say to the people of Israel"

Context.

J

june123

This is the truth I know.

Joh 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Joh 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

1Jn 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
1Jn 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

J

june123

Lol Locates, God's law is for all of us.

Romans 9:24–29

What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, 23 in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory— 24 even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles? 25 As indeed he says in Hosea, "Those who were not my people I will call ‘my people,’ and her who was not beloved I will call ‘beloved.’" 26 "And in the very place where it was said to them, ‘You are not my people,’ there they will be called ‘sons of the living God.’" 27 And Isaiah cries out concerning Israel: "Though the number of the sons of Israel be as the sand of the sea, only a remnant of them will be saved, 28 for the Lord will carry out his sentence upon the earth fully and without delay." 29 And as Isaiah predicted, "If the Lord of hosts had not left us offspring, we would have been like Sodom and become like Gomorrah."

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
Joh 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
You have to know what commandments Jesus gave.

Moses gave the law to Israel and that law came to an end shortly after the writing of Hebrews.

Heb 8:13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

Jesus was born under the law, we are not born under the law.

Gal 4:4 But when the fullness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,

Gal 4:5 To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.

beta

Aug 8, 2016
It was the custom of the early church to meet on the first day of the week. But Christians met when they could (they were slaves and had little choice.) . That is why Paul said it is enough that we keep one day to the Lord. Many Jewish Christians met on the Sabbath with the Jews and on the first day of the week with fellow Christians (as Jews they had special privileges).

Later Christians kept the Sabbath for doing good deeds (not resting), and the Sunday as a day or rest.

Maybe God knows better than we do,
God does know better than we do....that is why He wants us to stay with what HE has established and not jiggle things araound like we do. HE does not change and even His SON is the same yesterday, today and forever. It is man who must change and be converted...not the other way round as they are trying to do.

J

june123

let’s consider Paul’s own statements about God’s law. More than 25 years after the death of Jesus Christ, he wrote in Romans 7:12, “Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good.” In Romans 2:13 he stated, “For not the hearers of the law are just in the sight of God, but the doers of the law will be justified.” In Romans 7:22 he said, “For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man.”
Many assume that once we have faith in Jesus Christ, we have no more need to keep the law. Paul himself addressed this concept in Romans 3:31: “Do we then make void [Greek katargeo, meaning ‘destroy’ or ‘abolish’] the law through faith? Certainly not! On the contrary, we establish [Greek histemi, meaning ‘erect’ or ‘make to stand’] the law.” Faith does not abolish the law, said Paul; it establishes and upholds it.

beta

Aug 8, 2016
God answered your question in Rom 14.5-7;
Do you really think that 'man's choice is 'above GOD's ? Not much of a 'submission to God as we are directed in His Word Rom 12v2.
Any wonder christianity is confused and in error ?
All Rom 14 does is show God who is on HIS side and who wants to do things their own way. Are we not told to cease from our own evil works and enter into His sabbath rest ? Well does Jesus speak of the 'many who are on the road to destruction !

Embankment

Feb 28, 2017
God rested on the seventh day.
Is the seventh day Saturday or is it Sunday?

prove-all

May 16, 2014
The Old Testament view of the Sabbath is a mere shadow
of the real thing - which is Christ Himself.

I encourage you to look into the New Covenant.

You have no basis to even say this.

come present your case in the scriptures for us if you can.
but not one verse in the bible says the Sabbath is done away,
and says now sunday is the true day. so lets discuss this then.

J

june123

Matthew 5:17-19 can be used to argue that all Old Testament laws are still in force. Jesus didn’t do away with any of God’s laws. Rather, he emphasized that we ought to obey God not only in our actions, but also in our hearts. We have to keep every Old Testament law in the spirit, in its attitude and purpose. God’s laws are written in our hearts and minds (Hebrews 8:10). They are internalized, so we should want to keep them. Hebrews 8:10 is a quote of Jeremiah 31:31-33, one could argue, and the laws that Jeremiah had in mind were the laws that were valid in his day: the old covenant laws. They were all given by God.

prove-all

May 16, 2014
It was the custom of the early church to meet on the first day of the week.
care to go over the 8 places the phrase "first day of the week" apears in the N.T. ?

prove-all

May 16, 2014
You have to know what commandments Jesus gave.

Moses gave the law to Israel and that law came to an end shortly after the writing of Hebrews.
This is [he], that was in the church in the wilderness with the angel
which spake to him in [the mount Sina], and with our fathers:

who received the lively oracles [ to give unto us ] Acts 7:38

-

Romans 9:4 (KJV)
Who are Israelites; to whom pertaineth the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants,
and the giving of the law, and the service of God, and the promises;

-

1 Chronicles 16:17 (KJV)
And hath confirmed the same to Jacob for a law,
and to Israel for an everlasting covenant,

Psalms 105:10 (KJV)
And confirmed the same unto Jacob for a law,
and to Israel for an everlasting covenant:

Psalms 78:5 (KJV)
For he established a testimony in Jacob, and appointed a law in Israel,
which he commanded our fathers, that they should make them known to their children:

Isaiah 42:24 (KJV)
Who gave Jacob for a spoil, and Israel to the robbers? did not the Lord,
he against whom we have sinned? for they would not walk in his ways,
neither were they obedient unto his law.
-

Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments,
and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven:

but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great
in the kingdom of heaven.