Sabbath

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

rstrats

Aug 28, 2011
Colassians 2:16
King James Bible
Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

But I am sure you have already conjured up a way to work around this one too.

Actually, you are the one trying to do that with regard to thinking that Romans 14 is doing away with the the 4th commandment (3rd if you're RC).

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Me personally it just means I dont do any work.
If someone tried to make me do any work Im just saying NOPE its my day off. God insists.
Im having a nap.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
sunday for me is lazy day. Friday night I dont do any work either am exhausted.
Saturday I 'work' in my fun job because when I didnt have my fun job, they had 'working bee' in the garden on saturdays and it really wasnt fun cos people tried to make you do hard work.

When I did 'work' on Sundays...there wasnt actually any work to do. Youd just go in and chill out.

the days of the week have actually gone out of sync because of changes in calendar (if we were celebrating sabbath it would be HEBREW calendar, and sabbath starts by sundown, and sundown is different depending on where you are on the planet -not everyone lives in Jerusalem!) so for people to insist it has to be the same time as they are and dont realise the world is round and there are different time zones so we can be a day ahead are just being pedantic.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
What does it mean for us today, to keep the Sabbath holy? It is still a commandment.....
If keeping the Sabbath was a requirement for the church, it would be stated as so. However, there is not even place in the NT where there a command for believers within the church to keep the Sabbath. Regarding this, it does the following:

"Therefore let no one judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a feast, a New Moon, or a Sabbath."

In addition, if keeping the Sabbath was a requirement for eternal life, one would think that it would be mentioned in the letters to the seven churches. Yet, the word 'Sabbath' is not even found in the book Revelation.

"One person regards a certain day above the others, while someone else considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind."

M

MoonCresta

it was a command for the nation of Israel only. it was never commanded for gentiles. we are to take a day of rest, as God the father instituted in the Creation, but non-jews were never under the Sabbath command.
I almost hesitate to enter the discussion because I do not want to get into arguments, but, hey, I've got a big mouth.

I had an aunt who was devotedly a Seventh-Day adventist and she invited me to church several times ( and I, with my family, accepted). I am one that has no problems with and I respect other's interpretation of the Scriptures because I would expect that over 2,000 years man's confusion would naturally result in diverse beliefs; but the day that I heard the preacher say that if you don't worship on Saturday, you're going to hell - I never returned. It was a number of years ago, and I might be a little fuzzy on his exact words, but that was definitely the impression I left with on that day.

I don't agree, and we worship on Sunday - yes, and rest. I've long known that a nap on Sunday afternoon lends a great deal of energy to my body the entire week. Besides, as I told my aunt, when Adam and Eve were created, God did not drop a calendar in the garden for them to keep track. How does anyone know for sure that humans have gotten confused over the dates in all of history - especially in the beginning? I mean, I think of all the times (ok - don't laugh) I've gone through entire days only to find out it's not the day I thought it was (ex: it was Wednesday, not Tuesday like I had thought) (ok, go ahead and laugh).

Just my opinion. Also, my knowledge that God is not a God of the law, but a loving caring creator. We've set aside a day consecrated to him and rest in his glory. My Lord and Saviour is more concerned with our hearts and the intent of our hearts. God bless you all!

rstrats

Aug 28, 2011
How does anyone know for sure that humans have gotten confused over the dates in all of history - especially in the beginning?

Are you sure you don't mean haven't gotten confused instead of "have gotten" confused?

BTW, is there any documentation which shows that the 7 day weekly cycle has been interupted at some point between the 1st century and today?

rstrats

Aug 28, 2011
the days of the week have actually gone out of sync because of changes in calendar

As I asked MoonCresta, what evidence do you have that the weekly cycle has been interrupted (gone out of sync) sometime between the 1st century and now?

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Are you sure you don't mean haven't gotten confused instead of "have gotten" confused?

BTW, is there any documentation which shows that the 7 day weekly cycle has been interupted at some point between the 1st century and today?
the Levitical calendar operates on the phases of the moon.

is the 7th day counted from the beginning of the lunar month ((like absolutely every other day in the Levitical calendar, apart from the day of circumcision, which represents the cross of Christ, which is the 8th day, and which is greater than the 7th day -- see John 7:22-23)) or is it a perpetual cycle completely separate from the lunar-based calendar that all the feasts are appointed by?

i.e. is the sabbath Gregorian 'saturday' or is the sabbath the 7th, 14th, 21st and 28th of each lunar month?

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
when Adam and Eve were created, God did not drop a calendar in the garden for them to keep track.
actually He put a calendar in the sky for them, before He created them He had prepared it.
it's called the sun & the moon; see Genesis 1:14 -- they are explicitly for marking times & seasons. together they comprise a clock; a calendar.

but there is no record that He commanded anyone to observe certain days, not until Exodus 16 and the giving of manna, where the sabbath is given as a test/proof of their unfaithfulness.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Also, my knowledge that God is not a God of the law, but a loving caring creator.
the creation that the Creator created exhibits ubiquitous law.
He is a God of order, not disorder. the universe operates according to principles and regular, discoverable motions - however extraordinarily complex they may be, this place is not haphazard.

law and love are not mutually exclusive -- the very same God who gave the Israelites a covenant of law at Sinai is the One who died on the cross to redeem us and give us life.

john832

May 31, 2013
it was a command for the nation of Israel only. it was never commanded for gentiles. we are to take a day of rest, as God the father instituted in the Creation, but non-jews were never under the Sabbath command.
No, Jesus fuliflled the Sabbath by resting in the grave the entire Sabbath Saturday. Jesus broke through the seven day sabbath cycle and entered the 8th day when he rose from the grave on Sunday, the 8th day. Those who are "in Christ" have also broken through the seven day Sabbath cycle and thus are "new creations" to be made anew on the 8th day, the next creation day.

Circumcision in Old testament (OT) happened on the 8th day. Circumcision of the heart is the spiritual truth revealed in the New Testament which was foretold about via the literal example of circumcision of the flesh from the OT.

John 20 also shows this when eight days later Thomas saw the Resurrected Jesus and it was right then and there that Thomas's hardened heart was circumcised and he believed.
I would see scripture that says that the Sabbath command is suspended.

john832

May 31, 2013
This is a man-made stipulation. This is not from God.
If your conscience steers you to keep the Sabbath then so be it I will not judge you. But when you try to force your weak faith on my strong faith it is you who are in error.
Read Romans 14.
Rom 14 speaks to vegetarianism, fasting and judging one another.

Nebuchadnezzer

Feb 8, 2019
Rom 14 speaks to vegetarianism, fasting and judging one another.
And to days:
Romans 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

I am persuaded that all days are alike. Everyday is Resurrection Sunday (the 8th day)!!

Apostol2013

Jan 27, 2013
He blessed that particular day when He rested.

does God Himself rest every seventh day? Jesus when accused of breaking sabbath said, the Father is always working, and so He also.
While true it does not disolve the sabbath and also in isaiah 66 in the new heavens and new earth we see his sabbath still in place the context jesus was explaining was not contradicting torah but rabbinic (talmudic) traditions .one must read the bible from the context of the author not our own eyes but as The Master Said let the dead bury the dead and my input is for unity in mind as in scripture that fullfills orderly lives in the multitude of generations to come and that is the goal that not just one is edified but all , as for now this is my farrewell to christian chat as i am done here ive been here for many years but have seen so much rebellion and disunity

rstrats

Aug 28, 2011
the Levitical calendar operates on the phases of the moon.

is the 7th day counted from the beginning of the lunar month ((like absolutely every other day in the Levitical calendar, apart from the day of circumcision, which represents the cross of Christ, which is the 8th day, and which is greater than the 7th day -- see John 7:22-23)) or is it a perpetual cycle completely separate from the lunar-based calendar that all the feasts are appointed by?

i.e. is the sabbath Gregorian 'saturday' or is the sabbath the 7th, 14th, 21st and 28th of each lunar month?

The question had to do with the interruption of the seven day weekly cycle and not with regard to the Sabbath being observed on certain dates of the month.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
The question had to do with the interruption of the seven day weekly cycle and not with regard to the Sabbath being observed on certain dates of the month.
Sure but if sabbath is actually supposed to be observed the way every feast and festival and holy day on the law is, from the beginning of a month, then the question of whether someone ever lost count of cycles of 7 is moot.

Because God set the moon and sun in the sky specifically for man to be able to tell the times and seasons, to count days and months, per Genesis 1 - all we have to do is observe the new moon and count from it.

The entire Hebrew eclesiastical calendar is governed by the moon. Why would I expect sabbath to be different?