SAD diet, or Standard American Diet

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
This diet is made up of mostly processed food and if doctors prescribed a diet to produce illness and diabetes, this is the diet the doctor would prescribe. Most of the processing is to take the color and nutrition from the original food, like instant oatmeal, pasta, white rice, breads from wheat with the nutritious part taken out. What is left turns to sugar in our bodies.

God created man and God created foods that make men healthy. Almost everything we eat has been improved by man, changing it in some way so it is no longer as God created it.

God created chickens to roam free and eat from the earth. Man imprisoned them in cages and changed their diet. God had beef roam free, again man puts them in feed lots and changes their diet. God gave us many grains to grind, cook and eat but man changes almost all of them, feeding us just the least nutritious parts of the grain. Even the fat in many foods, like milk and peanuts, is changed by homogenizing them. Milk no longer has cream that rises, peanut butter is usually treated the same. Oil is not pressed, as God intended, but changed with elaborate manufacturing and hydrogeneration.

This is just the beginning of our food today. Cereals are no longer cooked, they are manufactured and come ready to serve in a box. They look nothing like what God created. Mac and cheese is no longer a recipe, it is from a factory, put in a box and you just add water. Cooking has become old fashioned, food mostly comes in a box. There is little relationship between food and the land it comes from. It is disguised from how God made it, and it does not feed our bodies as God intended any longer.

I think to live long and healthy and to cure type 2 diabetes, we need only to watch all foods and choose best we can foods with as little change as possible.

GaryA

Truth, Honesty, Love, Courage
Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
Raw veggies are your friend.

As much as possible, try to avoid the GMO kind... :)

Feb 28, 2016
Blik,
you of course won't get very many responses to your giving Great and Godly advice -
healthy and most growth (THREADS) go no where, even HERE in what is called a (Christian site) -
sad, but oh so true - the world simply LOVES to listen to the ways of illness and death, they
put their 'trust' in man=pharmikia', and 'eat/consume' the manufactured/toxic/chemically made foods,
putting their 'lusts' before good sense or research...

G

Godsgirl83

I find it very interesting that the acronym for the Standard American Diet is SAD.
I don't think that is a coincidence.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Blik,
you of course won't get very many responses to your giving Great and Godly advice -
healthy and most growth (THREADS) go no where, even HERE in what is called a (Christian site) -
sad, but oh so true - the world simply LOVES to listen to the ways of illness and death, they
put their 'trust' in man=pharmikia', and 'eat/consume' the manufactured/toxic/chemically made foods,
putting their 'lusts' before good sense or research...
I just finished a book by Andrew Weil, MD, "Mind over Meds" in which he explains how much more effective life style changes, diet changes, and using natures herbs is often a much better solution to illness than the drugs that Physicians rely on.

As an example, antibiotics prescribed for virus caused flue will have no effect on the flu but will destroy gut bacteria necessary for our health.

Type 2 diabetes that is caused by a SAD diet, is much better cured by a change in diet and lifestyle that has no harmful side effects.

Kolistus

Feb 3, 2020
I try to eat the best I can. As you said that almost all of our foods contain something added by man, something nasty.

If you are a man it is even worse as most foods contain something causing over-production of estrogen. I would get on estrogen blockers if I could, but I cannot so just have to play with the cards I have been dealt.

What would you guys recommend to avoid particularly?

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
I try to eat the best I can. As you said that almost all of our foods contain something added by man, something nasty.

If you are a man it is even worse as most foods contain something causing over-production of estrogen. I would get on estrogen blockers if I could, but I cannot so just have to play with the cards I have been dealt.

I found that the processed foods in grocery stores are in the center isles, so most foods are in the edges. Also, when manufacturers offer to do the cooking for you, it is usually a trap. Often doing it yourself protects you and takes little more work time, just need to leave it longer to cook.

Always check the ingredients in food. As an example, often drinks sold as fruit juice is really flavored sugar water. Bread sold as brown bread can be colored white bread. Bread needs to include the word "whole". Sometimes the meat we buy is mostly the cheap coating of the meat. This is especially true of fish.

Feb 28, 2016

=========================
Kol,
BASICS = do NOT ingest any FOODS that are NOT 'beneficial' = do NOT 'drink' any 'liquids' that cause 'stress/destroy' the
digestive-system, (liver-heart-or nervous system), such as abusing 'alcohol-coffee-tea-sodas-any sugary drinks or over spicy additives' -
Fresh Air
Sun Shine
Lots of exercise
Pure water, distilled above all else, because most so called 'spring water' is not pure!.
once again, 100% REAL food, or as good as you can get...
Learn to love yourself as your Maker Loves you, and this means to love the Temple
that Jesus has created for your spirit to abide in, Feed it...

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
=========================
Kol,
BASICS = do NOT ingest any FOODS that are NOT 'beneficial' = do NOT 'drink' any 'liquids' that cause 'stress/destroy' the
digestive-system, (liver-heart-or nervous system), such as abusing 'alcohol-coffee-tea-sodas-any sugary drinks or over spicy additives' -
Fresh Air
Sun Shine
Lots of exercise
Pure water, distilled above all else, because most so called 'spring water' is not pure!.
once again, 100% REAL food, or as good as you can get...
Learn to love yourself as your Maker Loves you, and this means to love the Temple
that Jesus has created for your spirit to abide in, Feed it...
Wow!!!

I'll be a healthy, joyful 97 years old in May, and even though I haven't been able to afford such as only range fed beef and certified raw milk, this has been my diet.

Feb 28, 2016
Good on You, Blik,
you are for sure someone that hub and I would very much like to meet!
hugs.

Simona1988

Mar 15, 2021
Added sugar is the problem.

I believe the excessive consumption of soy leads to over-production of estrogen.

Juices. Even home-made fresh juices. I eat the fruits, not drink them.

Feb 28, 2016
Hub and I have had exceptional RESULTS from our 'organic fruit juicing, especially
(grapefruit-lemon-orange-apple-grapes, family)-etc.........................................................

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Isn't it a wonder and a delight that being led by the Lord not only gives us eternal life, but by following how God designed foods, and staying away from how man designs food gives us a healthy body to live happily here on earth!

Genipher

Jan 6, 2019
I would love to ditch the SAD diet. Tried many, many times. Years ago my husband and I went on a no flour, no sugar diet. He lost soooo much weight. But then...back to our old ways. The SAD diet foods are just too easy to fall back into. And now, with [picky eating] kids, it's easier just to give in and eat poorly. Not to mention, eating healthy (for a large family, especially) is extremely expensive.

Still, I find this thread an encouragement. I'm going to look more into a whole foods diet for our family. I want us to be healthier.

T

TheIndianGirl

One way to assist with healthy eating/losing weight to try intermittent fasting. Fast for 12-16 hours a day, and eat during the remaining window. I eat dinner at 7pm and then eat lunch the next day at 1 pm (I don't eat breakfast except as a treat sometimes (my favorite is bagel/cream cheese with coffee). My lunch and dinner are about the same portion. I'm staying at my parents now so I'm eating healthy. Even when I live by myself, I usually skip breakfast but my dinner may be as late as 8:30pm. I try to finish eating by 9pm. I also eat a late lunch so the lunch crowd is gone and I have more quiet in the dining area.

Genipher

Jan 6, 2019
One way to assist with healthy eating/losing weight to try intermittent fasting. Fast for 12-16 hours a day, and eat during the remaining window. I eat dinner at 7pm and then eat lunch the next day at 1 pm (I don't eat breakfast except as a treat sometimes (my favorite is bagel/cream cheese with coffee). My lunch and dinner are about the same portion. I'm staying at my parents now so I'm eating healthy. Even when I live by myself, I usually skip breakfast but my dinner may be as late as 8:30pm. I try to finish eating by 9pm. I also eat a late lunch so the lunch crowd is gone and I have more quiet in the dining area.
My husband does this (has been for about 6 months now). He's not losing weight (he eats two normal meals when he gets home from work, so he's not eating a ton of calories), just maintaining. He's fasting for about 18 hours.

On the other hand, my brother tried it and lost something like 75 pounds.

Depends on the person, I guess.

G

Godsgirl83

one thing I was trying and sort of getting results was the "rule" of eating last meal at least 2 hours before going to bed. Had something to do with the body being able to burn it off and blood sugar.
That was before Covid messed up our lives :rolleyes:. trying to get back to a schedule that allows me to do that.