Saddleback Church Ousted from Southern Baptist Convention Over Female Pastor

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

2ndTimeIsTheCharm

Feb 17, 2023

https://abcnews.go.com/US/saddlebac...st-convention-female-pastor/story?id=97384219

So, Rick Warren's church has been kicked out of the Southern Baptist Convention for ordaining a female pastor.

There have been a few female figures in the Bible that had some minor undertakings but never anything major. Paul the Apostle also wrote:

1 Timothy 2:11-15

New International Version

11 A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner.

So what do you all think?

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
I forgot that Rick Warren was in the Southern Baptist Convention. I've been friends with Southern Baptists and we'd probably agree on over 95% of issues and doctrines. I hope that they have good pastors or can find good pastors. That's why it might be a good reason for an Exodus of every Bible believing church out of that alliance. Many have done it in the past when the convention started going liberal. Some of that was impetus for the independent Baptist movement to take off and spread the gospel in a big way reaching the world in the second half of the last century. Some of them were conservative bible believing outcasts from the SBC.
I wonder if the woman Rick Warren ordained was a militant lesbian? I ask because even J.D. Greere the president (former?) of the SBC had a close friend and staff member who was a homosexual. He wants the congregations to welcome the Sodomites into their churches.
Here's a link to a short clip of preaching about Rick Warren.
Rick Warren, Friend of the...

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021

https://abcnews.go.com/US/saddlebac...st-convention-female-pastor/story?id=97384219

So, Rick Warren's church has been kicked out of the Southern Baptist Convention for ordaining a female pastor.

There have been a few female figures in the Bible that had some minor undertakings but never anything major. Paul the Apostle also wrote:

11 A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner.

The role of pastor is greatly overstated in the modern church. And yes, ordaining women to be pastors is unbiblical. However, they can teach and should teach if they are so called to do so. "Pastor" is mentioned twice in the NT. Elders should also be apt to teach.

MrE

Jan 26, 2023

Is this the same Southern Baptists that were shamed into releasing a 205 page list of "hundreds of pastors and church-affiliated people" accused of sexual abuse that was made public by a whistleblower employee? Those Southern Baptists?

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/27/1101734793/southern-baptist-sexual-abuse-list-released

MrE

Jan 26, 2023
I forgot that Rick Warren was in the Southern Baptist Convention. I've been friends with Southern Baptists and we'd probably agree on over 95% of issues and doctrines. I hope that they have good pastors or can find good pastors. That's why it might be a good reason for an Exodus of every Bible believing church out of that alliance. Many have done it in the past when the convention started going liberal. Some of that was impetus for the independent Baptist movement to take off and spread the gospel in a big way reaching the world in the second half of the last century. Some of them were conservative bible believing outcasts from the SBC.
I wonder if the woman Rick Warren ordained was a militant lesbian? I ask because even J.D. Greere the president (former?) of the SBC had a close friend and staff member who was a homosexual. He wants the congregations to welcome the Sodomites into their churches.
Here's a link to a short clip of preaching about Rick Warren.
Rick Warren, Friend of the...
--so hateful.

A rant from the basement pulpit at Westboro Baptist..... good company.

Artios1

Born again to serve
Dec 11, 2020

I don’t know Rick Warren …so whatever he did is between him and God.

As for women being preachers …nothing wrong with it according to the Word of God….within the conditions of the Word.

If she is single, there is not a problem.

If she is married, then the arrangement between her and her husband should be likeminded…

If she has younger children … Her first responsibility is in the rearing of her kids.

As for the scripture you quoted …. it looks righteous…. but it is taken out of context.

Both 1 Timbo 2 and in 1 Corinthians 14 it is referencing wives of the men of God.

I have a breakdown of 1 Tim 2 line by line if you want it…

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
--so hateful.

A rant from the basement pulpit at Westboro Baptist..... good company.
Nope. This is a real Baptist church.
Wesboro is Baptist in name only. Their pastor preaches a fake gospel, so it's a fake church.
WB doesn't even believe in baptist distinctives and have nothing in common with this church other than a disgust of the sin of sodomy.

The Southern Baptist pastors used to preach against sodomy too.
The Southern Baptist pastors used to preach against these issues.
Do you seriously think it's ok for Barrack Sodom Hussein Obama to make a month set aside for the sodomites and cross dressers?

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ

I think the scriptures are the scriptures. Popular or not, like it or not, God has said it.

Warren's church has also been involved in the WEF, so I'm thinking something's going there and it ain't good.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
The role of pastor is greatly overstated in the modern church. And yes, ordaining women to be pastors is unbiblical. However, they can teach and should teach if they are so called to do so. "Pastor" is mentioned twice in the NT. Elders should also be apt to teach.
"And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence." 1 Timothy 2:12

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Says the man who denies the indwelling Holy Spirit Christ sent to work through us.:unsure::)(y):coffee:

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
(1 Corinthians 14:34-35) "Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. {35} And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church."

If a woman must not speak in church then how can she be a pastor leading in a Church...

Yes a woman can teach children and can go out and preach to unbelievers but they should not pastor a Church..

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Yes a woman can teach children and can go out and preach to unbelievers but they should not pastor a Church..
If it's not acceptable for a woman to teach adults, why would it be okay for them to teach children?

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
If it's not acceptable for a woman to teach adults, why would it be okay for them to teach children?
The teachings in the Bible as far as i believe where about Christian woman seeking authority over Christian men.. It was not talking about a Christian woman sharing the Gospel to an unbeliever on the street or in their home whether that be an unbelieving man or a unbelieving woman or an unbelieving youth..

And as for Kids that teaching does not even mention any restriction on them teaching Christian kids at home..

As far as my reading of the scripture goes it was a sanction against woman teaching/ having authority over Christian men..

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
1 Timothy 2:12 "But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence." (KJV) In this case the KJV (and others) has it right. The word is "nor," not "or."

"I permit a woman nether to teach, nor to usurp authority over a man."​
It doesn't say I do not permit a woman to teach men or adults; it says, "I do not permit a woman to teach." (period) Maybe at home with her own children, but not in the assembly. I know full well this won't convince anyone, but will go in one ear and out the other.

MrE

Jan 26, 2023
Nope. This is a real Baptist church.
Wesboro is Baptist in name only. Their pastor preaches a fake gospel, so it's a fake church.
WB doesn't even believe in baptist distinctives and have nothing in common with this church other than a disgust of the sin of sodomy.

The Southern Baptist pastors used to preach against sodomy too.
The Southern Baptist pastors used to preach against these issues.
Do you seriously think it's ok for Barrack Sodom Hussein Obama to make a month set aside for the sodomites and cross dressers?
Who is that unnamed ignorant speaker? I’m sure there’s a reason you don’t include a proper link to your source material— is that you? Unless it is you, you should post a proper link— otherwise it’s considered spam and should be removed.

It’s typical of the hate-filled garbage that spews forth from these 1611 KJV only churches (including Westboro Baptist) or any of the ‘independent Baptist’ enclaves full of shouting self-righteous, indignant mouthpieces full of bile and condemnation.

They are lost and lacking in love. “”Fundies” with no foundation on Christ or his teachings.

2ndTimeIsTheCharm

Feb 17, 2023
I don’t know Rick Warren …so whatever he did is between him and God.

As for women being preachers …nothing wrong with it according to the Word of God….within the conditions of the Word.

If she is single, there is not a problem.

If she is married, then the arrangement between her and her husband should be likeminded…

If she has younger children … Her first responsibility is in the rearing of her kids.

As for the scripture you quoted …. it looks righteous…. but it is taken out of context.

Both 1 Timbo 2 and in 1 Corinthians 14 it is referencing wives of the men of God.

I have a breakdown of 1 Tim 2 line by line if you want it…

That would be great! I would like as much info on both sides as possible. I don't know what to think of female pastors and this is why when I saw this news, I thought it would be good to discuss it and posted about here.