Saints and the World

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

NetChaplain

Well-known member
Nov 21, 2018
889
357
63
Christians still sin, so what’s the difference between them and the world when it comes to sinning? When believers sin it is not intentional, “willful,” (Heb 10:26) nor “presumptuous” (Num 15:25). Paul said he now never willfully sins. He reveals that it is the “old man” or sin nature within that sins, but not him in his “new nature” (Rom 7:15, 17, 20). Thus, the sins of believers are committed in “ignorance,” unaware that they were going to sin. I know of no Christians that admit they knew they were about to commit a sin, and did it anyway.

Paul said it is like one who is “captive” against his nature, which doesn’t want to sin (vs 23). “For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I do.” This doesn’t mean he never does good, nor that all he does is sin; he is merely demonstrating the normal life of a believer. This could be paraphrased as, “the good I want to do I do not always do; but the evil I do not want to do, I sometimes do. Paul says he does not want to do evil.”

How can Christians say they do not sin with the “new man,” or new nature (Eph 4:24; Col 3:10)? 1John 1:9 writes, “Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin (perpetrate - “to execute, commonly in a bad sense” - The American Heritage® Dictionary); for His “seed” (“new man”) remains in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God:”

John Gill (1697-1771): “Doth not commit sin; does not make it his trade and business; it is not the constant course of his life; he does not live and walk in sin, or give up himself to it; he is not without the being of it in him, or free from acts of sin in his life and conversation, but he does not so commit it as to be the servant of it, a slave unto it, or to continue in it.

“For His seed remains in him; not the word of God, or the Gospel, though that is a seed which is sown by the ministers of it, and blessed by God, and by which He regenerates His people; and which having a place in their hearts, becomes the engrafted word, and there abides, nor can it be rooted out; where it powerfully teaches to avoid sin, is an antidote against it, and a preservative from it: nor the Holy Spirit of God, though He is the Author of the new birth, and the principle of all grace; and where He once is, He always abides; and through the power of His grace believers prevail against sin, and mortify the deeds of the body, and live (Rom 8:13): but rather it is the grace of the Spirit, the internal principle of grace in the soul, the new nature, or new man formed in the soul, is meant His “seed.”

Paul also wrote, “You are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit” (Rom 8:9). The “flesh” is in us, but we are not in it! To be in the flesh in this sense means to be after the old man, desiring it. In the NT the word “flesh” nearly always means the “old man” or sin nature. In the OT, flesh is always in reference to the physical flesh of the body.

Though we still sin, God never sees the Christian as a sinner, which answers to why there is no Scripture reference relating the believer as a “sinner.” “If the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear” (1Pe 4:18)?
 
  • Like
Reactions: tourist
it certainly can be intentional for a Christian to sin! imagine this: that no Christian ever willfully sinned! never true! the truth is Christians won't want to sin but will when broken down spiritually. little by little christians will sin less. "about to commit sin & did anyway"? by course, christians do that. we 're not perfect. it would be astounding & miraculous if that were true. "how can Christians say...." you almost are contradicting yourself. because Christians are newly generated & new in Christ doesn't mean they sin only in a certain way. "born of God....." means the Christian WON'T CONSTANTLY WILLFULLY commit sin. once in a while, they willfully will. remember the the exact true translation of language must be considered & discerned.
 
it certainly can be intentional for a Christian to sin!
Hi and appreciate you comments! I suppose an immature believer might not know enough about sinning. But Paul said he doesn't intend to sin (Rom 7:19), "the evil I will not to do."

imagine this: that no Christian ever willfully sinned! never true! the truth is Christians won't want to sin but will when broken down
Again, this could be an immature Christian. A mature Christian will confess and repent of whatever the problem is, but will not allow to be broken down; unless the believer is immature in Christ. I believe everyone born again will eventually learn to please God (Phl 2:13).
spiritually. little by little christians will sin less.
This is very true, and the sinning will be less and less severe. The sinning can reduce to only sin that is impulsive instead of intentional, i.e. wrath, jealousy, being competitive, etc.
 
  • Like
Reactions: OLDBUTNEW
Hi and appreciate you comments! I suppose an immature believer might not know enough about sinning. But Paul said he doesn't intend to sin (Rom 7:19), "the evil I will not to do."


Again, this could be an immature Christian. A mature Christian will confess and repent of whatever the problem is, but will not allow to be broken down; unless the believer is immature in Christ. I believe everyone born again will eventually learn to please God (Phl 2:13).
This is very true, and the sinning will be less and less severe. The sinning can reduce to only sin that is impulsive instead of intentional, i.e. wrath, jealousy, being competitive, etc.
"but will not allow to be broken down"? no, not correct. all Christians break down for a variety of reasons. they might not want to but they do. we're not all of a sudden perfect by not sinning willfully.
you heard of things like "bad days" or 'i'm having a bad week" or 'i can't take this anymore". that's when Cxhrisaitans lose it.
 
"but will not allow to be broken down"? no, not correct. all Christians break down for a variety of reasons. they might not want to but they do. we're not all of a sudden perfect by not sinning willfully.
you heard of things like "bad days" or 'i'm having a bad week" or 'i can't take this anymore". that's when Cxhrisaitans lose it.
You're right, on my journey I have had these times, but gradually with transformation, I have been getting better.
I won't say I won't have a time like it again... but I worry and think about it less and less.
 
You're right, on my journey I have had these times, but gradually with transformation, I have been getting better.
I won't say I won't have a time like it again... but I worry and think about it less and less.
"worry": don't worry but be concerned. worry is attached to a negative characteristic which can cause sickness. concern is a positive characteristic which is proper. hence the saying: "you either worry or worship"!
 
Christians still sin, so what’s the difference between them and the world when it comes to sinning? When believers sin it is not intentional, “willful,” (Heb 10:26) nor “presumptuous” (Num 15:25). Paul said he now never willfully sins. He reveals that it is the “old man” or sin nature within that sins, but not him in his “new nature” (Rom 7:15, 17, 20). Thus, the sins of believers are committed in “ignorance,” unaware that they were going to sin. I know of no Christians that admit they knew they were about to commit a sin, and did it anyway.

Paul said it is like one who is “captive” against his nature, which doesn’t want to sin (vs 23). “For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I do.” This doesn’t mean he never does good, nor that all he does is sin; he is merely demonstrating the normal life of a believer. This could be paraphrased as, “the good I want to do I do not always do; but the evil I do not want to do, I sometimes do. Paul says he does not want to do evil.”

How can Christians say they do not sin with the “new man,” or new nature (Eph 4:24; Col 3:10)? 1John 1:9 writes, “Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin (perpetrate - “to execute, commonly in a bad sense” - The American Heritage® Dictionary); for His “seed” (“new man”) remains in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God:”

John Gill (1697-1771): “Doth not commit sin; does not make it his trade and business; it is not the constant course of his life; he does not live and walk in sin, or give up himself to it; he is not without the being of it in him, or free from acts of sin in his life and conversation, but he does not so commit it as to be the servant of it, a slave unto it, or to continue in it.

“For His seed remains in him; not the word of God, or the Gospel, though that is a seed which is sown by the ministers of it, and blessed by God, and by which He regenerates His people; and which having a place in their hearts, becomes the engrafted word, and there abides, nor can it be rooted out; where it powerfully teaches to avoid sin, is an antidote against it, and a preservative from it: nor the Holy Spirit of God, though He is the Author of the new birth, and the principle of all grace; and where He once is, He always abides; and through the power of His grace believers prevail against sin, and mortify the deeds of the body, and live (Rom 8:13): but rather it is the grace of the Spirit, the internal principle of grace in the soul, the new nature, or new man formed in the soul, is meant His “seed.”

Paul also wrote, “You are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit” (Rom 8:9). The “flesh” is in us, but we are not in it! To be in the flesh in this sense means to be after the old man, desiring it. In the NT the word “flesh” nearly always means the “old man” or sin nature. In the OT, flesh is always in reference to the physical flesh of the body.

Though we still sin, God never sees the Christian as a sinner, which answers to why there is no Scripture reference relating the believer as a “sinner.” “If the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear” (1Pe 4:18)?
You left out Romans chapter 6. People really just do not like to think about that one...
 
You left out Romans chapter 6. People really just do not like to think about that one...
To me, being "dead to sin" derives from the new birth, in that we do not want to sin! Is that what you're referring to?