Saints meet your opposition

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Melach

Mar 28, 2019
I meant to post this the other day... the OP-vid-speaker (B.E.) mentioned (as one of the supposed "contradictions" in scripture) the matter of the two criminals crucified at the time Jesus was crucified.

The following video, which I've posted before (perhaps that was back on an old forum no longer in existence), where this man is covering the material written in E.W. Bullinger's "Appendix #164" titled "The 'Others' Crucified With The Lord (Matt. 27:38 and Luke 23:32)"...

... video: 10:31-mins (and if memory serves, the actual written appendix goes into the Greek text even a bit more than what is presented here in this short video) - Check it out! :

The Four Other Men Crucified with Jesus Christ, E.W. Bullinger's Companion Bible Appendix 164.mp4 - YouTube

The supposed "contradictions" are only in the mind of those not giving careful attention when reading the pertinent texts. This matter (explained in the above video) is just one example.
are you associated with this man's ministry? not here to throw stones asking in good heart!

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
You won't read Ehrman but you'll search for an ultra liberal Anglican just because he slanders his work.
OK.
You're not aware they debated one another.

The Bart rhyming word is juvenile. And unbecoming a Christian.
Well....I watched a bit of this, and I am not impressed. A lot of sound and fury signifying nothing if you ask me.
Unbelieving man's perspective is always unimpressive.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
You won't read Ehrman but you'll search for an ultra liberal Anglican just because he slanders his work.
OK.
You're not aware they debated one another.

The Bart rhyming word is juvenile. And unbecoming a Christian.
He states that we did not (nor could not) quite understand who Jesus really was (God in human flesh) until human councils were convened and decisions made. And some of these were nail-biters.

Well, somebody tell these debaters that I am far more interested in what Jesus Himself said about Himself and what his closest companions and eyewitnesses said about Jesus. And what Jesus did, that should be of paramount importance.

And since the manuscripts are known to be exceedingly consistent and accurate as far back as we can reach, and our Bibles today are consequently trustworthy, each man can make his own decision about the deity of Jesus. Which is exactly what Jesus says anyways.

Which makes Ehrman's position/employment redundant now doesn't it?

K

kaylagrl

"Dr. Bart Ehrman Destroys the Crucifixion"

No he doesn't. He, as with others like him, work to seal my faith and inspire me to praise God even more fervently.

Lee Storbels life story is far more interesting that this guy. His wife becomes saved, he want to debunk her belief. In trying he himself becomes a born again believer. Eventually a pastor of a church. So this guy seems to think he's intelligent, but this was the very aspect of the Gospel that made Lee a believer.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
Lee Storbels life story is far more interesting that this guy. His wife becomes saved, he want to debunk her belief. In trying he himself becomes a born again believer. Eventually a pastor of a church. So this guy seems to think he's intelligent, but this was the very aspect of the Gospel that made Lee a believer.
Hypocritical "scholars"? There is nothing new under the sun it would seem.

Mat 23:13
But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
"Dr. Bart Ehrman Destroys the Crucifixion"

No he doesn't. He, as with others like him, work to seal my faith and inspire me to praise God even more fervently.
1.) Ehrman is very clear he is not a Christian, and he does NOT believe Jesus was divine, and he does NOT believe Jesus resurrected.
2.) Those are his beliefs.
3.) His beliefs are the opposite of the gospel message.
4.) I can't imagine how that would inspire a Christian.

I'm not trying to be unkind... I am just very confused by your view.

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
are you associated with this man's ministry? not here to throw stones asking in good heart!
I take it you mean the "man" in the video that *I* posted?

No, I'm not (I don't really even know who he is...)

As I said in an earlier post, I own a hard copy of the material this man was covering, so rather than posting that (which I eventually supplied the link to that Appendix that's FREE online, since cv5 was mentioning "buying" one), I figured many ppl might rather view a 10-min video (which video I had posted a number of years back on a different forum, which forum no longer exists--I was remembering it from back then)...

...and because I think this man does a fairly good job of presenting the material from [said] Bullinger's Appendix #164 (which Subject was one covered in the OP video [B.E.'s saying there are too many inconsistencies and contradictions, this supposedly being ONE of them. I think not. lol])

BTW, NOR am I connected with the person being spoken of in Post #84. (whoever that is... I do not know him.)

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
OK.

You even ignore the differences in accounts of Jesus and his ministry in the gospels themselves.
The fact that there are differences is evidence of their authenticity.
In real life, eyewitnesses don't recount their experiences exactly the same way.
If the gospel accounts were works of fiction they would more likely have been recorded as exact replicas of each other.

Beside that, some of the reported events and conversations were not witnessed by all the gospel writers.
They had different backgrounds, styles of writing and emphasis. We would expect differences in authentic historical
documents. Not from forgers trying to 'get thier story straight' hundreds of years after the fact.

SonLight_Wolf

Jan 14, 2023
The fact that there are differences is evidence of their authenticity.
In real life, eyewitnesses don't recount their experiences exactly the same way.
If the gospel accounts were works of fiction they would more likely have been recorded as exact replicas of each other.

Beside that, some of the reported events and conversations were not witnessed by all the gospel writers.
They had different backgrounds, styles of writing and emphasis. We would expect differences in authentic historical
documents. Not from forgers trying to 'get thier story straight' hundreds of years after the fact.
Not even Dr. Ehrman claimed they were fiction.

P

pottersclay

Have all of lees books

P

pottersclay

Now remember saints luke was not a apostle. He was sent to see if the stories of JESUS were true some years later.
He befriended paul and helped in the ministry. Obviously he was born again.
His gospel is written as he interviewed the eyewitnesses. Then its believed he wrote what is called the book of acts.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
Then its believed he wrote what is called the book of acts.
Some have set forth the thesis that the book of Acts was meant to be a legal brief for Paul's trial.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
Is Ehrman claiming that the writers were the victim of an hoax? The last of many many others?

Or is he the one perpetrating an hoax?
Someone found an old family video of Bart's childhood prayer.

Someone told me that this was the longest running series. That's a sad testimony of America. So is the other Bart.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
1.) Ehrman is very clear he is not a Christian, and he does NOT believe Jesus was divine, and he does NOT believe Jesus resurrected.
2.) Those are his beliefs.
3.) His beliefs are the opposite of the gospel message.
4.) I can't imagine how that would inspire a Christian.
I can't imagine how Ehrman obtained tenure.....:unsure:
Loudest guy in the room?

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
I can't imagine how Ehrman obtained tenure.....:unsure:
Loudest guy in the room?
In most university religion departments, or even many seminaries, they only care about your credentials.
Believing the Bible, or even believing in God, is not a consideration when they hire someone to teach on Biblical subjects.

It doesn't matter how crazy that seems to us... that is just how the world works.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
In most university religion departments, or even many seminaries, they only care about your credentials.
Believing the Bible, or even believing in God, is not a consideration when they hire someone to teach on Biblical subjects.

It doesn't matter how crazy that seems to us... that is just how the world works.
I am all in favor of cutting out the middleman (Ehrman)......and dealing straight with the Boss.
A concept which, again, Christ is quite clear about.

I am sure there a dozens of Scriptures bouncing around in peoples heads right now confirming this very notion.