According to Paul in Romans 3 one is justified by believing in Jesus' propitiation for our sins. A cursory reading of what he's saying might lead one to believe that this is all that is necessary to be saved, but if we're to take Christ's words seriously one must also do the will of the Father (Matthew 7:21). Jesus correlates doing the will of the Father with following his sayings (Matthew 7:24), effectually making salvation a matter of how you live as well as what you believe.
Consider Jesus' teaching that he is the bread from heaven in John 6.
Jesus doesn't seem to be talking solely about his death for our sins when he says "he that eateth me shall live by me". We're meant to eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood. We're meant to consume him. This doesn't seem to mash with the idea of just believing on his death for our sins, when he was also a moral teacher who taught moral imperatives. If we're to consume Jesus it seems logical that we're also to take in his moral teachings and instructions.
Also consider what Jesus said in John 8.
Jesus is saying here in plain language that the sinner abides not in the house forever and that if the Son frees you from sin that you will be free indeed. What seems to be being communicated is that if you are freed from sin you will have eternal life. He goes on to say that anyone who keeps his sayings shall not see death. I don't know what else he could be referring to other than the things he said in places such as the sermon on the mount, where Jesus teaches very many moralistic sayings, as well as what he spoke to Nicodemus in John 3. If you keep Jesus' words, you will never see death.
Consider Jesus' teaching that he is the bread from heaven in John 6.
32 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven.
33 For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world.
51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.
53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.
56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.
57 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.
Jesus doesn't seem to be talking solely about his death for our sins when he says "he that eateth me shall live by me". We're meant to eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood. We're meant to consume him. This doesn't seem to mash with the idea of just believing on his death for our sins, when he was also a moral teacher who taught moral imperatives. If we're to consume Jesus it seems logical that we're also to take in his moral teachings and instructions.
Also consider what Jesus said in John 8.
28 Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.
29 And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him.
30 As he spake these words, many believed on him.
31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
33 They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free?
34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.
35 And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever.
36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.
...
51 Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death.
Jesus is saying here in plain language that the sinner abides not in the house forever and that if the Son frees you from sin that you will be free indeed. What seems to be being communicated is that if you are freed from sin you will have eternal life. He goes on to say that anyone who keeps his sayings shall not see death. I don't know what else he could be referring to other than the things he said in places such as the sermon on the mount, where Jesus teaches very many moralistic sayings, as well as what he spoke to Nicodemus in John 3. If you keep Jesus' words, you will never see death.