Saturday Sabbath - Why does it matter?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ChristsChild

Apr 28, 2023
The Sabbath day was established by God at the end of the first week of creation on the Seventh day. Gen 2:1-3
2 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

God created the world in six days and rested on the seventh day (last day of the week). Thus, the Sabbath existed at the beginning of creation. God made the Sabbath for man - all man. Mk 2:27. The Sabbath is the only day of the week God blessed and sanctified: meaning to set apart as holy. God established a day in honor of the creation of the earth - The Sabbath a memorial to His creatorship!

Approximately, 1800 years latter the Jewish people came into existence. Thus, the Sabbath was made for mankind at the week of creation, long before the Jewish people existed. Moses leads the children of Israel out of Egyptian captivity. On mount Sinai he receives the Ten Commandments and it is the 4th commandment that states very clearly just how special is the Lord's Sabbath.

“Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy." Exodus 20:8-11.

Those who rejected the Sabbath faced being cast out or even stoned to death! Exodus 31:14-15. Do you really believe that God has changed His mind or that the Sabbath no longer matters to Him?

God feeds the children of Israel with manna from heaven, but on the day before the Sabbath they were to gather a double portion - for none was provided on the Sabbath because no work, no gathering was to be done on the Sabbath day. Exodus 16:22-32.

One of the most important applications of the Sabbath to both before and after the ascension of Christ is the SEAL that exist in the Sabbath commandment. Actually, it is the only commandment of the ten that bears the SEAL of God. For example, the president has a seal. There three characteristics that constitutes his seal: Name - Joe Biden, Title - President. Territory - United State. The seal is a mark of his authority as president. In the 4th Sabbath commandment God's SEAL and mark of His authority is also established: Name - The Lord, Title - Creator, Territory - Heaven and Earth.

The Sabbath is a perpetual covenant between God and His people (Exodus 31:16).

Jesus and the early church kept the Sabbath day: Lk 4:16, Acts 13:42

Finally, the Sabbath, which is a memorial to the Creator, is referred to again in Revelations 14:7 "Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

Revelation 14:7 directs man back to the Creator of heaven and earth, which refers back to the Sabbath commandment.

Finally, God's last-people will keep the commandments of God and have faith in Jesus Christ:
Revelation 14:12 "Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Let it be known that God's people will keep the commandments of God, not as a means of salvation, but as a means of works that will qualify or disqualify them for the kingdom of God. "If you love Me, keep my commandments." John 14:15
Revelation 22:12 "And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be."

May God's blessings be upon you!
Jesus said he had other sheep that are not of this fold, meaning the Jews, that he need call to himself. Those other sheep were the gentiles.

Paul said those differences, Jew, Gentile, are nullified. Because we are all his sheep as one fold with one shepherd.

Jesus tells us also that the Sabbath was a gift to us from God. We were not created for the Sabbath. The Sabbath was created for us by God.

There's only one Sabbath day. And that by tradition is sundown Friday when Sabbath starts to its end at sundown on Saturday.

I think it is up to the individual. God created the Sabbath for us so it just seems right to show respect and appreciation for that.

There's a lot of history that says the Sunday day of worship is Roman pagan and was the day of worship for the pagan deity Saturlina.
The Roman Christian church supposedly let their day of worship coincide with the Sunday pagans day of worship so to be left in peace. Seemingly the pagans saw this as a united worship service if both groups were honoring a deity on the same day.

Whatever the case I think if we divide over a day of worship by tradition, thinking one is for Jews only and another for us, that we renounce the oneness Paul said embraces all in the faith where divisions are done away with.

That's my thought anyway.

Mar 16, 2023
Between God and His people Israel. Not between God and the Church. The Church has been given "the Lord's Day" -- the first day of the week rather than the last day of the week. That is because Christ rose on the Lord's Day.
Constantine changed it about 400 years after Yashua died. He a was a pagan god sun worshiper, hence why it is call SUNday, not SONday.
Also, anyone that believes in Yahweh and Yahshua, follows the law(torah) , repents and is baptized, becomes grafted in to the covent and are children of Abraham. Roman's 11:11-31

The bible tell us not to add to or take away from Yahweh's word. Deuteronomy 4:2
Proverbs 3:3 -commands Yahweh's children to write His word on their hearts. Verse 4 speaks of the rewards

There is nothing in the bible that established a new faith. Yahweh kept the Feasts. He did not say, I am living the life of a Jewish man, however when I die, a new faith will be created and none of this applies.
Paul/ the apostles kept the Feast after Yahshua died . 1 Corinthians 11:1, 1 Corinthians 5:7-8, Acts 12:1-4 (verse 3 specifies the Feast was being kept) Acts 20:16, Acts 20:6

What was nailed to the cross?
The punishment of death for not obeying the law, the record of our debts(sin) was erased as Yashua took that for ALL of us.
So many verses are misunderstood do to words changing meaning over the years or mis-translation
The bible verse Matt 27:46, Mark15:34
"My Yah my Yah why have you forsaken me?
If you took up the word "forsaken" in strongs concordance, you will find it means , separated. So now it would read "My Yah my Yah why have you separated from me" At the time of His death Yashua took on the sins of the world. Yahweh could not be touched by sin and had to pull away/separate Himself from Yashua. First time in Yashua's life He could not feel His Father's presence.
Another example: hell- in old English (at the time the bible was translated) the word hell ment: pit, grave, hole in the ground. So in the apostles creed where it says Yashua descended into hell, it means He was put in the grave.

I was born and raised Catholic, so much of what I was taught was wrong, man made religion and or traditions of pagan faith. It was combined into the Catholic faith as people would not stop practicing the pagan ways, so the church just adopted into the faith. Examples: Christmas, Easter, New Years, praying to saints, purgatory, limbo, immortal soul, (to name a few) none of this is in the bible, all man made practices.

I am still learning and not afraid of discussing or being corrected, if I am wrong. I use the bible as my guide, not man and man made laws.

Underwhosewings

Jan 19, 2023
Australia
Examples: Christmas,
Redeemed from heathen customs
Of Christmas and Easter!
What a bondage that was.

Jeremiah 10:2-5 KJV
Thus saith the Lord, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.
[3] For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.
[4] They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.
[5] They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.

Jeremiah 44:19 KJV
And when we burned incense to the queen of heaven, and poured out drink offerings unto her, did we make her cakes to worship her, and pour out drink offerings unto her, without our men?

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.
Who's afraid of trees?

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
Who ya gonna call? Treebusters.
If there's something strange
in your cedarwood
Who ya gonna call?
Treebusters!

If there's something weird
And its bark's not good
Who ya gonna call?
Treebusters!

I ain't afraid of no trees...

Mar 16, 2023
Redeemed from heathen customs
Of Christmas and Easter!
What a bondage that was.

Jeremiah 10:2-5 KJV
Thus saith the Lord, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.
[3] For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.
[4] They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.
[5] They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.

Jeremiah 44:19 KJV
And when we burned incense to the queen of heaven, and poured out drink offerings unto her, did we make her cakes to worship her, and pour out drink offerings unto her, without our men?
Yes, the bible gives us so much information on what we should and should not do. I was amazed at how much I was practicing, was actually man made tradition and not biblical.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
The commandment to keep the Sabbath is nowhere repeated
in the NT... not even by Jesus when He lists the commandments.

Mar 16, 2023
The commandment to keep the Sabbath is nowhere repeated
in the NT... not even by Jesus when He lists the commandments.
He only listed a few of the commandments, as part of a conversation he was having with a Jewish person. A Jewish person that would already know the law, so only a few were mentioned.
So, your saying we only have to obey the ones he listed?
Throughout the N. T. Yahshua repeats, keep my Laws. What are the laws? The commandments.

People also asked, what was the greatest commandment?
He replies, "love Yahweh your Elohim with all your heart, soul & mind" .This covets the first 4 commandments. "The 2nd one is similar, love thy neighbor as thyself ". This covers the next 6 commandments

Also, the sabbath commandment is the only one that starts out withe Remember. Maybe because He knew people would forget. John 14:15- if you love me you will keep my commandments. He does not say, just the one I listed here in the N.T.
John 15:10, If you keep my commandments you abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in His love.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
He only listed a few of the commandments

People also asked, what was the greatest commandment?
He replies, "love Yahweh your Elohim with all your heart, soul & mind" .This covets the first 4 commandments.
"The 2nd one is similar, love thy neighbor as thyself ". This covers the next 6 commandments
He listed all of the six but for the Sabbath.

Mar 16, 2023
He listed all of the six but for the Sabbath.
There are more than 6 commandments, so again, we only have to obey those 6 and not the other 4.
And not to defraud was added and not in the original 10.
Again, the 2 greatest commandments listed in the N.T. covers all the commandments.
Yahshua kept the Sabbath: Luke 4:1-21-specifically states, Yahshua was in the synagogue on Sabbath as was his custom.
So as I have asked before, where in the bible does it state that Yahshua says "I am living this life and doing all these things as an example to you, but after my death, you don't need to do these things."
I am truly asking, nothing ment as sarcasm or disrespect.
I have cousin that is a catholic priest, he cannot not answer my questions based on the bible. He uses man made laws/church doctrine, and customs to back up why so many things are different in the catholic church compared to the bible.
Even though the bible tells us not to take away from or add to the word.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
There are more than 6 commandments, so again, we only have to obey those 6 and not the other 4.
And not to defraud was added and not in the original 10.
Again, the 2 greatest commandments listed in the N.T. covers all the commandments.
Yahshua kept the Sabbath: Luke 4:1-21-specifically states, Yahshua was in the synagogue on Sabbath as was his custom.
So as I have asked before, where in the bible does it state that Yahshua says "I am living this life and doing all these things as an example to you, but after my death, you don't need to do these things."
I am truly asking, nothing ment as sarcasm or disrespect.
I have cousin that is a catholic priest, he cannot not answer my questions based on the bible. He uses man made laws/church doctrine, and customs to back up why so many things are different in the catholic church compared to the bible.
Even though the bible tells us not to take away from or add to the word.
"Teacher, which commandment in the law is the greatest?" He [Jesus] said to him, "'You shall love
the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.' This is the
greatest and first commandment. Love God above all else. And the second is like it: 'You shall
love your neighbor as yourself.' On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

And, Jesus said, “‘You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery,’ ‘You shall not steal,’ ‘You shall not
bear false witness,’ ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’”

The command to keep the Sabbath is nowhere repeated in the New Testament.

Mar 16, 2023
"Teacher, which commandment in the law is the greatest?" He [Jesus] said to him, "'You shall love
the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.' This is the
greatest and first commandment. Love God above all else. And the second is like it: 'You shall
love your neighbor as yourself.' On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

And, Jesus said, “‘You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery,’ ‘You shall not steal,’ ‘You shall not
bear false witness,’ ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’”

The command to keep the Sabbath is nowhere repeated in the New Testament.
Specifically, no, but it is throughout the N.T. that the Apostles and Yahsuha were in the synagogue on the Sabbath. Yashhua specifically states to keep the commandments, (that would be all 10.) We are also suppose to live by His example. He kept the sabbath.

Why is Sabbath commandment the only one that starts out with Remember?

Well, you have your belief and I have mine, that is what makes the world go round

I have had several people tell me it is okay to have more than 1 wife, at the same time as the N.T. does not forbid it, only that deacons/leader of the congregation can have 1 one wife. So, multiple wives are allowed?

Mar 16, 2023
Jesus said he had other sheep that are not of this fold, meaning the Jews, that he need call to himself. Those other sheep were the gentiles.

Paul said those differences, Jew, Gentile, are nullified. Because we are all his sheep as one fold with one shepherd.

Jesus tells us also that the Sabbath was a gift to us from God. We were not created for the Sabbath. The Sabbath was created for us by God.

There's only one Sabbath day. And that by tradition is sundown Friday when Sabbath starts to its end at sundown on Saturday.

I think it is up to the individual. God created the Sabbath for us so it just seems right to show respect and appreciation for that.

There's a lot of history that says the Sunday day of worship is Roman pagan and was the day of worship for the pagan deity Saturlina.
The Roman Christian church supposedly let their day of worship coincide with the Sunday pagans day of worship so to be left in peace. Seemingly the pagans saw this as a united worship service if both groups were honoring a deity on the same day.

Whatever the case I think if we divide over a day of worship by tradition, thinking one is for Jews only and another for us, that we renounce the oneness Paul said embraces all in the faith where divisions are done away with.

That's my thought anyway.
Very well put, thank you.
I still have a lot to learn, been on this new journey for 6 years now( I am now 61 yrs old) I have learned more in the last 6 years than I did my entire life before that.
Blessings to you on this Sabbath

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Specifically, no, but it is throughout the N.T. that the Apostles and Yahsuha were in the synagogue on the Sabbath. Yashhua specifically states to keep the commandments, (that would be all 10.) We are also suppose to live by His example. He kept the sabbath.

Why is Sabbath commandment the only one that starts out with Remember?

Well, you have your belief and I have mine, that is what makes the world go round

I have had several people tell me it is okay to have more than 1 wife, at the same time as the N.T. does not
forbid it, only that deacons/leader of the congregation can have 1 one wife. So, multiple wives are allowed?
Deacons are to set an example for the congregation, so saying it is okay for others to have more than
one wife because it is not specified otherwise just comes across as sick and twisted. Jesus was in the
synagogue on the Sabbath, sure. He kept the law. He worked on the Sabbath and they wanted to kill
Him for it. The law was a schoolmaster to lead us to Christ. After that, if people want to put themselves
under it (Paul calls such people foolish), they have put themselves under a curse and grace is of none
effect... under the law, failing in one point makes you guilty of failing in all points.

Romans 13:10
:)

Mar 16, 2023
Deacons are to set an example for the congregation, so saying it is okay for others to have more than
one wife because it is not specified otherwise just comes across as sick and twisted. Jesus was in the
synagogue on the Sabbath, sure. He kept the law. He worked on the Sabbath and they wanted to kill
Him for it. The law was a schoolmaster to lead us to Christ. After that, if people want to put themselves
under it (Paul calls such people foolish), they have put themselves under a curse and grace is of none
effect... under the law, failing in one point makes you guilty of failing in all points.

Romans 13:10
:)
As I said, you have your belief and I have mine.
We can quote bible verses to prove each of our points.
We are entitled to practice and believe on how we feel we are led.
My life has improved dramatically since following/keeping the Sabbath command, so I will continue to do so.
Prayers and blessings to you

Mar 16, 2023
My life has improved dramatically since following/keeping the Sabbath command, so I will continue to do so.
Prayers and blessings
Prayers and blessings to you
Just read you response again, and am puzzled. James 2:10- So we are not to keep any of the commandments?
I was taught this bible verse means we need Yahweh's grace as it is not possible to obey ALL commandments without stumbling. That doesn't mean we should not try