Scriptural support for Free Will

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
So then we do have a free will? You, yourself, just said God draws us but not against our wills. So then there must be a surrender of sorts, by your logic.
He cannot relate effectual drawing to man having the responsibility to submit to Christ. Will not accept personal responsibility for his sin. He sees free will as unfettered liberty and that is where the disconnect occurs.

Man is free to choose but not free to change the demands of God.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
He cannot relate effectual drawing to man having the responsibility to submit to Christ. Will not accept personal responsibility for his sin. He sees free will as unfettered liberty and that is where the disconnect occurs.

Man is free to choose but not free to change the demands of God.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
It is as if someone gave an eloquent and articulate argument, convinced the opposition and then said, "You decide." His effectual drawing is indeed effectual, yet still must be decided upon. A person may know the facts, yet reject them.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
It is as if someone gave an eloquent and articulate argument, convinced the opposition and then said, "You decide." His effectual drawing is indeed effectual, yet still must be decided upon. A person may know the facts, yet reject them.
Much like Paul to Agrippa.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

D

Depleted

Are you claiming that the Samaritans were not of Jewish descent? She knew the prophecy of the promised Messiah.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
Samaritans are to Judaism what Catholics are to Christians.

Dec 28, 2016
They see His glory in His creation. Intelligent design. So, through observation. At least, some people convert this way, at the very least acknowledging that God exists. It may be time before they come to the knowledge of Jesus Christ, however.
And right here ladies and gentlemen is a gospel-less salvation. They can know God exists through His creation and be saved that way. Wow. Just wow. No need of the preaching of the cross, eh?

Apostle Paul has something for you view...

[SUP] [/SUP]I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse! As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let them be under God’s curse![Galatians 1:6-9]

Dec 28, 2016
They see His glory in His creation. Intelligent design. So, through observation. At least, some people convert this way, at the very least acknowledging that God exists. It may be time before they come to the knowledge of Jesus Christ, however.
For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written:“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.” Where is the wise person? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe.[1 Cor. 1:18-21]

There is no salvation outside the preaching of the cross, He who hung upon it, who was resurrected from the dead and will come again. None. Ephesians 1:13 says And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit,

In Romans 1, Paul is addressing those who see God in His creation, but turn to other gods, which are not gods at all. They suppress the truth in their unrighteousness. They see God, but worship things such as statues, animals, the moon, the stars, the sun, &c. Romans 1 is not an appeal to how ppl can be saved by natural revelation.

You on an unsustainable path here. Get off of it.

Dec 28, 2016
So then we do have a free will? You, yourself, just said God draws us but not against our wills. So then there must be a surrender of sorts, by your logic.
When God sets it free. If the Son sets you free, you are free indeed.[John 8:36] Until the Lord sets you free from the clutches of sin and Satan, even your will was in bondage. You are not stronger than Satan...nor was I. Only God can set us free to come to Him for salvation.

Soli Deo Gloria

notuptome

May 17, 2013
No, lovers of multiple gods thinking that's okay with the one and only God.
Seems that was a continuing problem for Gods elect among the nations. They had the DNA but committed fornication with the religions round about them.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Dec 28, 2016
Is anyone gonna confront BenFTW's gospel-less salvation besides me?

Dec 28, 2016
https://carm.org/billy-graham

"I think everybody that that loves Christ, or knows Christ, whether they're conscious of it or not, they're members of the body of Christ. And that's what God is doing today. He's calling people for 'eh, out of the the world for his name whether they come from the Muslim world, or the Buddhist world, or the Christian world, or the non-believing world uh they are members of the body of Christ because they've been called by God. They may not even know the name of Jesus but uh they know in their hearts that they need something that they don't have and they turn to the only light that they have. And I think that they are saved and they are going to be with us in heaven".

From Billy Graham's own lips on Dr. Robert Schuller's 'Hour of Power' program. He gave Dr. Graham's statement a hearty amen, too. These were both mystics. Plain as the nose in your face, a mystic. And so are you and Roger.

D

Depleted

Seems that was a continuing problem for Gods elect among the nations. They had the DNA but committed fornication with the religions round about them.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
Our relationship with the Lord is never DNA. It's a legal act. We're either adopted or not.

D

Depleted

Already did. He ignored, so that said enough. He's very good at ignoring everything but what he thinks.

Dec 28, 2016
Already did. He ignored, so that said enough. He's very good at ignoring everything but what he thinks.
Notice how they avoid this thread now that I showed their mystic beliefs and their gospel-less salvation? If God saves like they aver, then ppl are being saved w/o the gospel. Wow. Just plain wow. What a low view of scripture they hold to. :( :mad: :eek:

Dec 28, 2016
I am still waiting on you to defend your gospel-less salvation, Ben. Care to chime in peacefulbeliever?

Dec 28, 2016
I am still waiting on you to defend your gospel-less salvation, Ben. Care to chime in peacefulbeliever?
Scripture-less, truthless, Gospel-less. It isn't the Gospel, it's man's philosophy with a Romans 9:20 base.

Feb 21, 2012
I don't see where Ben said anything about salvation here. I do see where he said "at the very least acknowledging that God exists through the glory of His creation". (For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Rom. 1:20)] That is why I "liked" his post. Ben acknowledged that "it may be time before they come to the knowledge of Jesus Christ, however" - which would be through the gospel preached.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
Sorry, I can’t help! I’ve had him on ignore a long time, after he blasted me by name, and was totally wrong about what I said. I don’t have the time of day for people who pretend they have the “love” gospel, and then lash out at people who think differently than they do. Did I mention judging? Not that I care, because I know who the judge is, and I am following him!

Especially when they rarely use or know the Bible, because they have an experiential relationship with God, and therefore don’t need the Bible. They can make it up as they go along, thinking it is the Holy Spirit leading them, when in fact, it is clever demons leading them down the primrose path, and far from God.

I hope that was a good enough confrontation without actually reading the post! LOL

F

finaldesire

Free Will in the Bible

Mt 23:37
37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!

The Holy Bible: King James Version. (2009). (Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version., Mt 23:37). Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

Here we have God willing to gather Jerusalem like a hen gathers her brood but Jerusalem exercised free will and would not be gathered.

Gen 3:22
22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

The Holy Bible: King James Version. (2009). (Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version., Ge 3:21–22). Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

Man was sinless and God willed that he not eat from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil but man exercised free will and ate of the tree.

Dt 30:19-20
19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live: 20 That thou mayest love the LORD thy God, and that thou mayest obey his voice, and that thou mayest cleave unto him: for he is thy life, and the length of thy days: that thou mayest dwell in the land which the LORD sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.

The Holy Bible: King James Version. (2009). (Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version., Dt 30:19–20). Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

Here God clearly gives Israel a choice.
Say God gave us freewill, then what does that mean exactly, what is freewill good for in this case. Has it got something to do with choosing him, or heaven or hell? I don't understand the position freewill or non freewill gives. What if the case is different and we have a limited freewill, some choices we can make and others we can not.