Scriptural support for Free Will

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Here's the sad part about the Scriptual eviedence, is no one is going to come up with the Scriptures asked for. Yet N6 and Wiggles are still going to go around with the chest sticking out like they posted some Scripture to prove their unBiblical point, when in fact they never even tried, because they know they do not exsist.

Yet they will stay in their utopian fantasyland as if they conquored something, when in fact they have not met the challenge and they never will. Because they know they can't, yet that stuborn part of man will hold them hostage. Like it held me hostage for many years, I could not give up the idea that somehow I held the cards of FREE WILL when it does not exsist.

Psalm 85:1-13
Lord, you were favorable to your land;you restored the fortunes of Jacob.2 You forgave the iniquity of your people; you covered all their sin. Selah

3 You withdrew all your wrath; you turned from your hot anger.4 Restore us again, O God of our salvation, and put away your indignation toward us!5 Will you be angry with us forever? Will you prolong your anger to all generations?6 Will you not revive us again, that your people may rejoice in you?7 Show us your steadfast love, O Lord, and grant us your salvation.8 Let me hear what God the Lord will speak, for he will speak peace to his people, to his saints; but let them not turn back to folly.9 Surely his salvation is near to those who fear him, that glory may dwell in our land.10 Steadfast love and faithfulness meet; righteousness and peace kiss each other.11 Faithfulness springs up from the ground, and righteousness looks down from the sky.12 Yes, the Lord will give what is good, and our land will yield its increase.13 Righteousness will go before him and make his footsteps a way.”

My Brothers I plead with you to look at who you are before the Lord and who the Lord is before the universe and ask yourself if you can come to Him freely for the salvation of your soul. That answer is for you to come to gribs with. I will say that His mercies are new every morning and they endure from evelasting to everlasting, because they flow from the very soul and heart of the Lord.

Love for both of you guys, life has it hairpin corners, yet it also has it's wide open spaces to lead my children to the promise land, AMEN!!!

Revelation 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

An invitation to come freely.

preston39

Dec 18, 2017
Free will is alive and well.

One of the main purpose of the symbolic message in the garden was to convey this;

G-d will guide us to do what He requires us to do as followers ...it is ours to comply...free will. He forces no one.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Here's the sad part about the Scriptual evidence, is no one is going to come up with the Scriptures asked for. Yet N6 and Wiggles are still going to go around with the chest sticking out like they posted some Scripture to prove their unBiblical point, when in fact they never even tried, because they know they do not exist.
Well here's the really sad part. Reformed Theology (Calvinism) is a DISTORTION of Bible truth and the Gospel. Therefore most Christians reject this warped theology which is man-made. It originated with Augustine and was promoted by Calvin and the Reformers, who should have rejected Augustine's ideas and started from the Bible itself.

We have gone through all the errors of TULIP many times, but those who adhere to this teaching cling to it tenaciously and refuse to reject it. God would be violating His own nature if He selected some for salvation and others for damnation, particularly when Christ died for the sins of THE WHOLE WORLD. I am still waiting for a Calvinistic to honestly explain what "world" means in John 3:16,17.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Well here's the really sad part. Reformed Theology (Calvinism) is a DISTORTION of Bible truth and the Gospel. Therefore most Christians reject this warped theology which is man-made. It originated with Augustine and was promoted by Calvin and the Reformers, who should have rejected Augustine's ideas and started from the Bible itself.

We have gone through all the errors of TULIP many times, but those who adhere to this teaching cling to it tenaciously and refuse to reject it. God would be violating His own nature if He selected some for salvation and others for damnation, particularly when Christ died for the sins of THE WHOLE WORLD. I am still waiting for a Calvinistic to honestly explain what "world" means in John 3:16,17.
It is more respectable to consider oneself of the Reformed faith than a Calvinist. The reformation was not about the five points of Calvinism. The reformation was based on the 95 thesis that Luther posted against the Roman Catholic church.

Modern Calvinists over cook the TULIP. They take it beyond what the bible teaches. In this they do err.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

D

Depleted

Not all are capable of actual thought. Those that can think will comprehend while others need to grow.

Pr 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
Actually, you have very little to do with God. You tend to say stuff and then force some small verse in the Bible to agree with you. Rarely works.

Would you like a tire pump to help you puff up even larger? I'm thinking you're at the popping point, but have been thinking that for years. You do surprise me that you can puff up even larger.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Actually, you have very little to do with God. You tend to say stuff and then force some small verse in the Bible to agree with you. Rarely works.

Would you like a tire pump to help you puff up even larger? I'm thinking you're at the popping point, but have been thinking that for years. You do surprise me that you can puff up even larger.
LOL you have all the couth of flatulence in church. Still the church has lots of different parts.

1 Cor 12:12 ¶ For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.
13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
14 For the body is not one member, but many.
15 If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
16 And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
17 If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling?
18 But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.

Despite your crudeness you are still in the body of Christ.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

D

Depleted

Free will is alive and well.

One of the main purpose of the symbolic message in the garden was to convey this;

G-d will guide us to do what He requires us to do as followers ...it is ours to comply...free will. He forces no one.
Am I supposed to believe it, because you said it?

Page 12, and yet, STILL, no one has proved -- through the Bible -- free will.

So, nope. Not going to believe it because you said it.

Not going to believe it because God never said it too!

John146

Jan 13, 2016

Much Scripture has been posted, you just fail to believe. That's your free will to do so.

Dec 28, 2016
I've not said differently. . . . Romans 10:9

People in remote areas know "a god" exists consequently they worship statues, etc. - but there are also Christians in these remote areas that have heard the gospel and still others who have heard yet suppress the truth. As it says in Romans 1 - Because when they "knew" God, they glorified him not as God - These people "know" about the one true God but they do not glorify God nor are thankful and change the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, etc. They changed the truth of God into a lie. IOW, they heard but rejected the one true God. . . . And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come. . . . The gospel will be preached to all, giving everyone the opportunity to trust and believe the gospel.

Many died never hearing the gospel. Not everyone will hear it before they die(d). You’re giving me double speak here. Ppl were living in modern day North & South America, Russia, Alaska, Guam, Hawaiian Islands, &c, right after the Christ died, and they died never hearing the gospel. This gospel being preached to everyone is a myth. Many have died w/o hearing it.

Dec 28, 2016
Much Scripture has been posted, you just fail to believe. That's your free will to do so.
So....

Adolph Hitler exercised his free will when he murdered millions of Jews?
Jeffrey Dahmer exercised his free will when he molested, murdered, and ate kids?
David Koresh exercised his free will when he deceived many, and got killed in the process?
Ted Bundy exercised his free will when he raped and murdered a 100+ women?
Vlad Dracula exercised his free will when he ate as he watched ppl being tortured?

Free will is a myth. The will is governed by its nature. Mathew 6:23, Romans 6:6 & 6:16 easily refute free will.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Many died never hearing the gospel. Not everyone will hear it before they die(d). You’re giving me double speak here. Ppl were living in modern day North & South America, Russia, Alaska, Guam, Hawaiian Islands, &c, right after the Christ died, and they died never hearing the gospel. This gospel being preached to everyone is a myth. Many have died w/o hearing it.
You are making a huge assumption regarding those whom you have deemed to never having heard the gospel. Perhaps they did not have the full Sunday school presentation but God has His way. Circumstance cannot circumvent the determinate will of God.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

notuptome

May 17, 2013
So....

Jeffrey Dahmer exercised his free will when he molested, murdered, and ate kids?
David Koresh exercised his free will when he deceived many, and got killed in the process?
Vlad Dracula exercised his free will when he ate as he watched ppl being tortured?

Free will is a myth. The will is governed by its nature. Mathew 6:23, Romans 6:6 & 6:16 easily refute free will.
Are you claiming that Hitler was forced to kill millions? Ted Bundy did not choose to murder women?

Why prosecute them under the law if they did not have control over their actions?

You are not making sense with this position.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
You did say some were converted that way. Converted/conversion, in biblical terms, means to be saved.
When I said converted I was referring to a process. I'm sorry you misunderstood me and went on a defamation campaign. You shouldn't make assumptions here and speak about people in the third person as if they are not present. You went on a full tirade about me and my supposed gospel-less salvation when in fact you were horribly mistaken. That's not nice.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Did Joshua have a free will? At least a free as mans will can know?

Jos 24:15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Feb 21, 2012
How am I giving you double speak? The word of God is open and available to ALL people NOW . . . NOW with the written word being in a published form . . . there is no excuse. Even in the Biblical days, which took place in the Eastern Nations, the apostles worked hard to keep the gospel alive while they lived . . . when they died, do you not think there were others who continued in the faith and taught and spoke about Jesus? God does say in Matthew: And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come . . . I believe Him.

Feb 21, 2012
So....

You actually believe that man does not know the difference between good and evil? Then why aren't ALL
men like Hitler, Dahmer, Koresh, Bundy, Dracula, etc. - ALL men have the fallen nature and so ALL men would be governed by this nature the same as the above - Do some just choose NOT to follow these evil inclinations? Men may commit evil things but they KNOW they and cannot honestly deny that they DIDN'T know what they did was wrong.

MHz

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
The Bible is based on prophecy so there is no free will as many determinations are made that have people dying while still being a sinner. Free will is a choice for the ones who come alive at judgment day and are made clean and then offered a drink of living water. That is the first time free will is available and it remains that way for the rest of the New Earth era.

Isa:42:9:
Behold,
the former things are come to pass,
and new things do I declare:
before they spring forth I tell you of them.

Isa:55:11:
So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth:
it shall not return unto me void,
but it shall accomplish that which I please,
and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

Jer:4:28:
For this shall the earth mourn,
and the heavens above be black:
because I have spoken it,
I have purposed it,
and will not repent,
neither will I turn back from it.

Jer:25:32:
Thus saith the LORD of hosts,
Behold,
evil shall go forth from nation to nation,
and a great whirlwind shall be raised up from the coasts of the earth.
Jer:25:33:
And the slain of the LORD shall be at that day from one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth:
they shall not be lamented,
neither gathered,
nor buried;
they shall be dung upon the ground.

Zec:13:8:
And it shall come to pass,
that in all the land,
saith the LORD,
two parts therein shall be cut off and die;
but the third shall be left therein.
Zec:13:9:
And I will bring the third part through the fire,
and will refine them as silver is refined,
and will try them as gold is tried:
they shall call on my name,
and I will hear them:
I will say,
It is my people:
and they shall say,
The LORD is my God.

Re:21:1-8:
And I saw a new heaven and a new earth:
for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away;
and there was no more sea.
And I John saw the holy city,
new Jerusalem,
coming down from God out of heaven,
prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying,
Behold,
the tabernacle of God is with men,
and he will dwell with them,
and they shall be his people,
and God himself shall be with them,
and be their God.
And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes;
and there shall be no more death,
neither sorrow,
nor crying,
neither shall there be any more pain:
for the former things are passed away.
And he that sat upon the throne said,
Behold,
I make all things new.
And he said unto me,
Write:
for these words are true and faithful.
And he said unto me,
It is done.
I am Alpha and Omega,
the beginning and the end.
I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.
He that overcometh shall inherit all things;
and I will be his God,
and he shall be my son.
But the fearful,
and unbelieving,
and the abominable,
and murderers,
and whoremongers,
and sorcerers,
and idolaters,
and all liars,
shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone:
which is the second death.

Last edited:
U

UnderGrace

Yes exactly, with no independent will to be exercised, a moral code and laws are meaningless

A will that is always determined is just as faulty in its thinking as a will that is always free

Are you claiming that Hitler was forced to kill millions? Ted Bundy did not choose to murder women?

Why prosecute them under the law if they did not have control over their actions?

You are not making sense with this position.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

preston39

Dec 18, 2017

Did I ask you to?

In addition I did not say it...The Bible does.

I offered what the Bible says to me...plus these; (I can see you will reject them also).

Proverbs 16:9 - A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps.

John 7:17 - If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or [whether] I speak of myself.

Revelation 3:20 - Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

1 Corinthians 10:13 - There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God [is] faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear [it].

John 1:12-13 - But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, [even] to them that believe on his name: (Read More...)

Deuteronomy 30:19-20 - I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, [that] I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live: (Read More...)

Genesis 2:16-17 - And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: (Read More...)

James 1:13-16 - Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: (Read More...)

Galatians 5:16-17 - [This] I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. (Read More...)

2 Timothy 2:26 - And [that] they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

Romans 10:9-10 - That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. (Read More...)

Psalms 37:23 - The steps of a [good] man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way.

Proverbs 16:1 - The preparations of the heart in man, and the answer of the tongue, [is] from the LORD.

Mark 8:34 - And when he had called the people [unto him] with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

1 Timothy 2:4 - Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
So do believers get free will when they are born again? - Just askin'