Scripture question

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 26, 2017
Ok, last night I went to bible study and the pastor read the parable of the Talents Matthew 25: 14-30. While he read and said this meant we should invest our money and has a speaker on money investment. This didn’t sit right with me and I didn’t understand the scripture to mean this but deeper. Can you all explain This parable? I always ask the Lord for discernment for scriptures and for wisdom.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
The meaning of the parable is not about investing our money for personal, gain and earthly benefits, but to invest in Christ. The first two servants deposited their money with the bankers, but the third servant buried his money in the ground. The third servant had been given the opportunity to invest in Christ, but had chosen to reject it.

Dec 26, 2017
The meaning of the parable is not about investing our money for personal, gain and earthly benefits, but to invest in Christ. The first two servants deposited their money with the bankers, but the third servant buried his money in the ground. The third servant had been given the opportunity to invest in Christ, but had chosen to reject it.
Thanks for explaining, when I heard him speak it just didn’t seem right, idk if it was the Holy Spirit

3angelsmsg

Mar 1, 2018
It is also not just talking about our money but the our skills, our influence and time, God has given to us, in order to build up God's kingdom.

D

Depleted

Ok, last night I went to bible study and the pastor read the parable of the Talents Matthew 25: 14-30. While he read and said this meant we should invest our money and has a speaker on money investment. This didn’t sit right with me and I didn’t understand the scripture to mean this but deeper. Can you all explain This parable? I always ask the Lord for discernment for scriptures and for wisdom.
One thing for sure, you need a new church. One that teaches the Bible instead of one that teaches middle-class American values.

What are the talents? Exactly what the word means in English -- talents. Have you been blessed with the great talent to evangelize? If you have, use it. If you weren't given vast evangelizing abilities, than use the little abilities you have for God's glory. But use what you were given, because God doesn't take kindly to those who hide them.

Same thing with teaching. Or administrative works. (Hey, one of my talents is administrative work, so I'm not putting anyone down. It's a good thing. The church can use help with newsletters, or the bulletin on Sunday, or someone to keep the books. lol) Whatever talent the Lord has blessed you with, use it. That's why he gave it to you. Don't go hiding it, because he hates that. He gives so we can use it and give him back what he gave us, with interest.

Mar 28, 2016
I would offer...

Mat 25:28 Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.

Ten signifies all as a unknown in that parable just as the word thousand is used.. The talents that uses money represents the unseen wisdom of God hid from natural man .As we are informed in 1 Corinthian 2. "Not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power":Which power is the ability of God to move men as he works in them to both will and do His good pleasure /Our imputed righteousness .

In that way as we are informed in Ecclesiastics . .

For wisdom is a defense, and money is a defence: but the excellency of knowledge is, that wisdom giveth life to them that have it.Consider the work of God: for who can make that straight, which he hath made crooked?In the day of prosperity be joyful, but in the day of adversity consider: God also hath set the one over against the other, to the end that man should find nothing after him. Ecc 7:12

In regard to the end that man should find nothing after him. above . It I think it is saying we can discover nothing of the future and therefore by the wisdom of God we live one moment at a time .

His wisdom is something with us that can be spiritually bankrupt, is something can bank on. No credit cards.

Dec 26, 2017
One thing for sure, you need a new church. One that teaches the Bible instead of one that teaches middle-class American values.

What are the talents? Exactly what the word means in English -- talents. Have you been blessed with the great talent to evangelize? If you have, use it. If you weren't given vast evangelizing abilities, than use the little abilities you have for God's glory. But use what you were given, because God doesn't take kindly to those who hide them.

Same thing with teaching. Or administrative works. (Hey, one of my talents is administrative work, so I'm not putting anyone down. It's a good thing. The church can use help with newsletters, or the bulletin on Sunday, or someone to keep the books. lol) Whatever talent the Lord has blessed you with, use it. That's why he gave it to you. Don't go hiding it, because he hates that. He gives so we can use it and give him back what he gave us, with interest.
It’s my husbands church, I went with him when we dated but officially went ther once we were married.

I agree, my question would be. How do I know what special talent God has given me? I work in the health care field taking care of patients. I feel I want to do more, I’m not a bible scholar or a teacher.

Dec 26, 2017
I would offer...

Mat 25:28 Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.

Ten signifies all as a unknown in that parable just as the word thousand is used.. The talents that uses money represents the unseen wisdom of God hid from natural man .As we are informed in 1 Corinthian 2. "Not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power":Which power is the ability of God to move men as he works in them to both will and do His good pleasure /Our imputed righteousness .

In that way as we are informed in Ecclesiastics . .

For wisdom is a defense, and money is a defence: but the excellency of knowledge is, that wisdom giveth life to them that have it.Consider the work of God: for who can make that straight, which he hath made crooked?In the day of prosperity be joyful, but in the day of adversity consider: God also hath set the one over against the other, to the end that man should find nothing after him. Ecc 7:12

In regard to the end that man should find nothing after him. above . It I think it is saying we can discover nothing of the future and therefore by the wisdom of God we live one moment at a time .

His wisdom is something with us that can be spiritually bankrupt, is something can bank on. No credit cards.
Thank you very much. I didn’t want to call a pastor wrong as I was taught you shouldn’t, but it didn’t sit right with me just about money

MarcR

Feb 12, 2015
The talents in the parable were indeed money. The gifts we are given are spiritual often supernatural abilities that we are expected to use for Jesus' glory. When gifted men and women in the church use their gifts for Jesus' glory, the Church grows in both power and number.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
We are to exercise good stewardship of the resources that God has blessed us with. There is nothing evil in investing your money to receive a return at interest. We do not invest our money at the expense of giving to help others or to support the church.

Without hearing what was taught and how it was taught I cannot condone nor condemn the teaching.

Does you husband have an opinion on the teaching? This may be an opportune time for you and him to discuss money matters.

Of course you should use the talents and abilities God has blessed you with in His service but that does not relieve you of the responsibility to be a good steward of your money.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Zmouth

Nov 21, 2012
Know ye not this parable? and how then will ye know all parables?

For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath. Matt 25:29

For he that hath, to him shall be given: and he that hath not, from him shall be taken even that which he hath. Mark 4:25

For I say unto you, That unto every one which hath shall be given; and from him that hath not, even that he hath shall be taken away from him. Luke 19:26

Mar 10, 2013
There are many good wise posts in this thread which always pleases my heart as i see the body of Christ at work refining itself as God intended, serving one another in love.

Here indeed is that this parable means. You have read it is said to store up for yourselves treasures in heaven? Yes it is about investing money and time and service. It is about doing the work of God which is to serve one another in love. Whatever we have that we spend on ourselves here in this life will all end and be destroyed. Eternally the only things we will have is everything we have given away in this life. If we give all we have to give no matter what it is, God will honor it and bless you with abundance not only in the next life but also in this one.

God is I am who I am and I am HIS. Praise be to his HOLY NAME.

Jan 6, 2018
This is in the context of the end of the age when Christ returns (Matt 24). I don't believe Christ will throw people in hell for not investing in the stock market (Matt 25:30). The Scriptures nowhere teach that. So that means Jesus is not teaching about finances but using finances to teach by a parable.

Dec 26, 2017
The talents in the parable were indeed money. The gifts we are given are spiritual often supernatural abilities that we are expected to use for Jesus' glory. When gifted men and women in the church use their gifts for Jesus' glory, the Church grows in both power and number.
Thank you! I appreciate your reply

Dec 26, 2017
We are to exercise good stewardship of the resources that God has blessed us with. There is nothing evil in investing your money to receive a return at interest. We do not invest our money at the expense of giving to help others or to support the church.

Without hearing what was taught and how it was taught I cannot condone nor condemn the teaching.

Does you husband have an opinion on the teaching? This may be an opportune time for you and him to discuss money matters.

Of course you should use the talents and abilities God has blessed you with in His service but that does not relieve you of the responsibility to be a good steward of your money.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
I took it S not just money. Yes I talked to him about it, he was trying to understand himself. I know he likes to save money and would like to invest and everything.

Jan 6, 2018

What are the talents? Exactly what the word means in English -- talents. Have you been blessed with the great talent to evangelize? If you have, use it. .
No, it doesn't mean ability. A talent is 75 pounds or 34 kilograms.

Dec 26, 2017
This is in the context of the end of the age when Christ returns (Matt 24). I don't believe Christ will throw people in hell for not investing in the stock market (Matt 25:30). The Scriptures nowhere teach that. So that means Jesus is not teaching about finances but using finances to teach by a parable.
That’s the exactly what I understood it to be. I’m not a bible scholar but as I stated I do ask for wisdom and understanding

Dec 26, 2017
There are many good wise posts in this thread which always pleases my heart as i see the body of Christ at work refining itself as God intended, serving one another in love.

Here indeed is that this parable means. You have read it is said to store up for yourselves treasures in heaven? Yes it is about investing money and time and service. It is about doing the work of God which is to serve one another in love. Whatever we have that we spend on ourselves here in this life will all end and be destroyed. Eternally the only things we will have is everything we have given away in this life. If we give all we have to give no matter what it is, God will honor it and bless you with abundance not only in the next life but also in this one.

God is I am who I am and I am HIS. Praise be to his HOLY NAME.
Thank you as well for your reply, I’m definitely reading and understanding scriptures more.

3angelsmsg

Mar 1, 2018
Thank you as well for your reply, I’m definitely reading and understanding scriptures more.
TrustingGod4Life, I sensed that the Holy spirit had impressed it on your mind to question and dig deeper on the meaning of that principle of the parable.

But that's why we need to stay in the word. And keep comparing scripture with scripture.

I like scripture in Matthew 6:19-21 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

This verse puts everything in perspective where our greatest energies should be channelled.

I am really in awe to see the Holy spirit is not just working in my life but in everybody else too.