"Second Chances"

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Willie-T

Banned
Feb 7, 2015
22,418
413
0
I wrote this many years ago for a professional forum I was on. I thought it might be interesting here.


Far too often we assume the sanctimonious position of martyr or saintly benefactor in that we graciously offer "a second chance". We do this as though we have somehow done a great thing, and this lowly person we have so "honored" with an outpouring of our magnanimous generosity should fall on their knees in gratitude.

I may be in the minority here, but... I've made mistakes in my time. And I still do. Just ask my wife or anyone who knows me.

What does that mean? It means I was not simply given a "second chance" somewhere along the line, and that wonderful opportunity forever eliminated any tendency to screw up. Nope, it's still with me. And I do still manage to foul up things quite royally from time to time.

We need to understand that this famous "second chance" is highly over rated. It is basically a decision we have made to appease something we may be feeling inside. Of course the desperate recipient is going to often jump right on it as a means of making a few woefully needed bucks. Who can blame them? Just because we put some sort of grand worth on this "second chance" we are handing them, doesn't mean they have yet reached the point of understanding what it means or how to effectively accept and utilize it.

It may well be that they honestly DO intend and hope to do better. And perhaps they actually TRY... for as long as they can hold out. So how are we to respond to that? To their failed attempt?

We too often take the attitude that "I tried to help the bum... and look how I got burned!"

Well, you didn't get burned at all. (That is not if you were smart and didn't give him a high position of responsibility in your company.) You simply experienced some disappointment in yet another worker who didn't rise to your expectations. If the truth were known, your pride probably was wounded more than anything. The one who REALLY got burned was the guy who fell back into the mire of his addictions... AGAIN.

Don't you think these guys have the same basic feelings deep down inside that any of the rest of the human race does? Of course they do. They feel. They hurt. They just don't know how to beat it.

I think we just might find it within ourselves to view this whole thing in a little different light if we could remember to consider this one thing.

You and I have no idea how many times this sorry guy standing in front of us has tried and tried and tried before. We know nothing of his inward feelings of humiliation and shame. And, above all, we can't begin to imagine how far (and through what possible lifetime of pains and tragedies) this person may have struggled to reach the point where we see him today.

Some of you know that I deal with these kinds of guys on a daily basis. And the one thing it has taught me is to never forget the words I have posted right above my computer monitor...

"There, but for the grace of God, go I."
None of us are "better"......... Just more fortunate.

The monkey comes in many guises. As an 'enlightened' society, we accept some, shun others, deny many even exist. Yet there lives within each of us, our own personal demon. A struggle that we sometimes fail to recognize as even real, let alone dangerous.

It matters little what the monster we fear looks like. What counts is that we learn to understand and survive.

And that we are not alone in the fight, nor that we leave another alone on their battlefield.

Stand shoulder to shoulder with someone - either helping or being helped - and you will never again wonder at that Biblical passage about giving another a drink of water... or clothing their nakedness... or visiting them in prison. You will understand the soul's thirst, our frightening nakedness, and the many kinds of personal prisons.
 
Ephesians 6:11-18
[FONT=&quot]11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;[/FONT]
 
For 20 years I owned a business that averaged from 17 to 20 employees, so on a professional level, and of course a biblical, I can relate. Excellent post.
 
Willie I am printing out your post and going to hand to my 18 year old son to read. This is fantastic insight and well written, highlighting a struggle we all face from time to time. Who hasn't judged someone else's "monkey" and ignored the historic battles fought. I have fallen into this trap and want to do a better job of standing shoulder to shoulder with someone.
 
I wrote this many years ago for a professional forum I was on. I thought it might be interesting here.


Far too often we assume the sanctimonious position of martyr or saintly benefactor in that we graciously offer "a second chance". We do this as though we have somehow done a great thing, and this lowly person we have so "honored" with an outpouring of our magnanimous generosity should fall on their knees in gratitude.

I may be in the minority here, but... I've made mistakes in my time. And I still do. Just ask my wife or anyone who knows me.

What does that mean? It means I was not simply given a "second chance" somewhere along the line, and that wonderful opportunity forever eliminated any tendency to screw up. Nope, it's still with me. And I do still manage to foul up things quite royally from time to time.

We need to understand that this famous "second chance" is highly over rated. It is basically a decision we have made to appease something we may be feeling inside. Of course the desperate recipient is going to often jump right on it as a means of making a few woefully needed bucks. Who can blame them? Just because we put some sort of grand worth on this "second chance" we are handing them, doesn't mean they have yet reached the point of understanding what it means or how to effectively accept and utilize it.

It may well be that they honestly DO intend and hope to do better. And perhaps they actually TRY... for as long as they can hold out. So how are we to respond to that? To their failed attempt?

We too often take the attitude that "I tried to help the bum... and look how I got burned!"

Well, you didn't get burned at all. (That is not if you were smart and didn't give him a high position of responsibility in your company.) You simply experienced some disappointment in yet another worker who didn't rise to your expectations. If the truth were known, your pride probably was wounded more than anything. The one who REALLY got burned was the guy who fell back into the mire of his addictions... AGAIN.

Don't you think these guys have the same basic feelings deep down inside that any of the rest of the human race does? Of course they do. They feel. They hurt. They just don't know how to beat it.

I think we just might find it within ourselves to view this whole thing in a little different light if we could remember to consider this one thing.

You and I have no idea how many times this sorry guy standing in front of us has tried and tried and tried before. We know nothing of his inward feelings of humiliation and shame. And, above all, we can't begin to imagine how far (and through what possible lifetime of pains and tragedies) this person may have struggled to reach the point where we see him today.

Some of you know that I deal with these kinds of guys on a daily basis. And the one thing it has taught me is to never forget the words I have posted right above my computer monitor...

"There, but for the grace of God, go I."
None of us are "better"......... Just more fortunate.

The monkey comes in many guises. As an 'enlightened' society, we accept some, shun others, deny many even exist. Yet there lives within each of us, our own personal demon. A struggle that we sometimes fail to recognize as even real, let alone dangerous.

It matters little what the monster we fear looks like. What counts is that we learn to understand and survive.

And that we are not alone in the fight, nor that we leave another alone on their battlefield.

Stand shoulder to shoulder with someone - either helping or being helped - and you will never again wonder at that Biblical passage about giving another a drink of water... or clothing their nakedness... or visiting them in prison. You will understand the soul's thirst, our frightening nakedness, and the many kinds of personal prisons.



And isn't that how God in Christ looks at us? Amen!!! And He loves us knowing about the attached flesh we come with. Knowing our every thought and our every past failure, even yesterdays. And yet He never tires of us or lets us go. He sees His righteousness in us and what we are IN Him. I love that song about the love of God that will not let me go.

And if each and every Christian began to get a grasp of this kind of grace., and stood shoulder to shoulder with one another as you said here Willie, we would be a force to be reckoned with as Jesus meant us to be in Him here on earth.

But because of our limited vision we can't step past the judgment that doesn't understand everyone is not like us today. Unless a human has gone to certain places in their mind and life, they will not appreciate someone else's struggles. They will instead (and quite often) judge harshly someone they observe with their limited vision. Most people just have not seen how truly awful that flesh is that they carry around and where it can take them. They are still living in the fantasy world of "I would and could NEVER do what he/she did"


I wish more Christians thought like you do Willie. Instead of looking at the worlds "stats" .,looked at Jesus and HIS record of accomplishments. Giving Jesus the credit due Him and allowed HIM to take the wounded heart and fix it. He is very able and has power that most Christians will not give Him credit for while they are living on this earth.

People trust in "horses" and "chariots" You know the verse. People get on a plane with a bunch of other people., they don't even know the pilot's name or if he is worthy. They pay the fee and buckle themselves in and go thousands of feet into the air in a metal tube!!! What kind of trust does it take to do that?!! And yet thousands of people do it every day!

And yet., when it comes to Jesus., many Christians won't even believe He can heal a marriage or restore a drug addict or forgive a murderer or a harlot. People don't believe Jesus can or will heal a body or even get someone a job or a home. With such low expectations, is it any wonder Jesus is not doing many miracles today in Christians lives?

Good post Willie as usual.
 
Last edited:
Nice. Well written and a great reminder.

"Many kinds of personal prisons" yes. This.