S
Shelby_Artist
Guest
I am a spokesperson for the babies that are killed in the womb. I know abortion is a sensitive topic, but it can't be silenced. A "voice for the voiceless" is what I consider myself, and many people don't like that. Any time I respectfully speak up on behalf of slaughtered innocents I am met with rudeness and hate.
I became pregnant at the age of 17 when I was a senior in high school. I wasn't allowed to attend my public high school anymore because they said if I continued going, "it would look bad." All my friends told me to get an abortion. It wasn't my idea, but everyone else's. The father of the baby and his father came over to my house and sat in my living room one day and told us they would pay for me to have an abortion. I said I can't do it because I'm a Christian and two wrongs don't make a right. The Bible says "Do not murder." I made an appointment for the abortion anyways but accidentally slept in that morning because my alarm didn't go off and missed the appointment. That's when my mom came to my room and told me "Please don't get an abortion." She said she had an abortion when she was 16 - the same year it became legal - and she has regretted it ever since. She told me she would give me anything I wanted if I didn't have an abortion. I said I wanted to visit Ireland and she agreed to pay for my expenses, so I kept the baby. We considered adoption, but the adoptive family had a big dog and I didn't like that idea probably because I had a phobia of dogs at the time. So I took my baby as my own responsibility and raised her.
When she was 2 years old, we were in a horrible car accident. She lived and I became disabled. So my mom raised her an eventually adopted her. My daughter is 11 now.
Ever since this blessing of new life that God has given me, I have been speaking out against abortion. I have been involved socially and politically and even incorporating the topic into my education. I would like to conclude with a speech I wrote for my debate class:
Shelby Steele Bakersfield College
Debate Brief
October 2, 2012
TOPIC: Abortion
PROPOSAL: Abortion should be illegal in all fifty states
SIDE: Affirmative
“Abortion”:
”Illegal”:
Pregnancy begins at conception and what results is called a zygote. From this point until death, no new genetic information is needed to make the unborn entity a unique individual human. This is a stage through which each of us has passed - just as we have passed through infancy, childhood, and adolescence. There is no doubt that the zygote is biologically alive, because it fulfills the four criteria needed to establish biological life: (1) metabolism, (2) growth, (3) reaction to stimuli, and (4) reproduction. From the 18th day after conception, substantial development of the brain and nervous system occurs. A whole embryo is formed by the end of the first month. It is vital to understand that...
You did not come from a zygote. You once were a zygote.
You did not come from an embryo. You once were an embryo.
You did not come from a fetus. You once were a fetus.
You did not come from an adolescent. You once were an adolescent.
Justice Harry Blackmun (who wrote the majority decision in Roe v. Wade 1973) has argued that the morality of abortion is completely contingent on the full humanness of the unborn. Both sound philosophical and scientific reasoning clearly establish the full humanness of the unborn from the moment of conception. She is not a potential human life, but a human life with great potential. Under principles of individual liberty, parents have the obligation to support their dependent children. Our children have a right to our support, whether they are in the crib or in the womb.
Abortion is a current harm that exists now. Mother Teresa was a recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979. She has referred to abortion as “the greatest destroyer of peace in the world”. From the Notable and Quotable section of the Wall Street Journal, 2/25/1994, Mother Teresa stated,
“America needs no words from me to see how your decision in Roe v. Wade has deformed a great nation. It has sown violence and discord at the heart of the most intimate human relationships. It has aggravated the derogation of the father's role in an increasingly fatherless society. It has portrayed the greatest of gifts -- a child -- as a competitor, an intrusion, and an inconvenience. Human rights are not a privilege conferred by government. They are every human being's entitlement by virtue of his humanity."
I became pregnant at the age of 17 when I was a senior in high school. I wasn't allowed to attend my public high school anymore because they said if I continued going, "it would look bad." All my friends told me to get an abortion. It wasn't my idea, but everyone else's. The father of the baby and his father came over to my house and sat in my living room one day and told us they would pay for me to have an abortion. I said I can't do it because I'm a Christian and two wrongs don't make a right. The Bible says "Do not murder." I made an appointment for the abortion anyways but accidentally slept in that morning because my alarm didn't go off and missed the appointment. That's when my mom came to my room and told me "Please don't get an abortion." She said she had an abortion when she was 16 - the same year it became legal - and she has regretted it ever since. She told me she would give me anything I wanted if I didn't have an abortion. I said I wanted to visit Ireland and she agreed to pay for my expenses, so I kept the baby. We considered adoption, but the adoptive family had a big dog and I didn't like that idea probably because I had a phobia of dogs at the time. So I took my baby as my own responsibility and raised her.
When she was 2 years old, we were in a horrible car accident. She lived and I became disabled. So my mom raised her an eventually adopted her. My daughter is 11 now.
Ever since this blessing of new life that God has given me, I have been speaking out against abortion. I have been involved socially and politically and even incorporating the topic into my education. I would like to conclude with a speech I wrote for my debate class:
Shelby Steele Bakersfield College
Debate Brief
October 2, 2012
TOPIC: Abortion
PROPOSAL: Abortion should be illegal in all fifty states
SIDE: Affirmative
“Abortion”:
- The removal of an embryo or fetus from the uterus in order to end a pregnancy.
”Illegal”:
- Unauthorized or prohibited by a code of official or accepted rules.
- Collins World English Dictionary: 2009
Pregnancy begins at conception and what results is called a zygote. From this point until death, no new genetic information is needed to make the unborn entity a unique individual human. This is a stage through which each of us has passed - just as we have passed through infancy, childhood, and adolescence. There is no doubt that the zygote is biologically alive, because it fulfills the four criteria needed to establish biological life: (1) metabolism, (2) growth, (3) reaction to stimuli, and (4) reproduction. From the 18th day after conception, substantial development of the brain and nervous system occurs. A whole embryo is formed by the end of the first month. It is vital to understand that...
You did not come from a zygote. You once were a zygote.
You did not come from an embryo. You once were an embryo.
You did not come from a fetus. You once were a fetus.
You did not come from an adolescent. You once were an adolescent.
Justice Harry Blackmun (who wrote the majority decision in Roe v. Wade 1973) has argued that the morality of abortion is completely contingent on the full humanness of the unborn. Both sound philosophical and scientific reasoning clearly establish the full humanness of the unborn from the moment of conception. She is not a potential human life, but a human life with great potential. Under principles of individual liberty, parents have the obligation to support their dependent children. Our children have a right to our support, whether they are in the crib or in the womb.
Abortion is a current harm that exists now. Mother Teresa was a recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979. She has referred to abortion as “the greatest destroyer of peace in the world”. From the Notable and Quotable section of the Wall Street Journal, 2/25/1994, Mother Teresa stated,
“America needs no words from me to see how your decision in Roe v. Wade has deformed a great nation. It has sown violence and discord at the heart of the most intimate human relationships. It has aggravated the derogation of the father's role in an increasingly fatherless society. It has portrayed the greatest of gifts -- a child -- as a competitor, an intrusion, and an inconvenience. Human rights are not a privilege conferred by government. They are every human being's entitlement by virtue of his humanity."