Serious question

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

maverich

Jun 27, 2017
At the gaderenes the demons called legion asked to not be sent out of the territory.
Did Jesus give mercy to legion by allowing them into the pigs.
I believe that they ended up out of the territory, but Jesus show mercy

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
Why mercy,,, The pigs drowned themselves and they had to go through dry lands anyway

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Not really because if I recall correctly, the pigs went off a cliff into water and drowned. Where the demons went after that, who knows..

L

LPT

At the gaderenes the demons called legion asked to not be sent out of the territory.
interesting thread I like it, the demons believed their fate would be worse outside the territory so in that sense I think yes. do you know many were there?

maverich

Jun 27, 2017
It seemed interesting that they asked, and Jesus granted

L

LPT

Indeed though not much discernment it seems in not asking which is worse outside the region or in the herd.

L

LPT

Outside the region could of been a rocky road but they chose the path that leads to destruction.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Strictly speaking a legion was appx. 6000.

Also do demons sense time the same as us? In any case their ultimate destination is sealed...

2 Peter 2:4 NKJV
[4] For if God did not spare the angels who sinned, but cast them down to hell and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved for judgment;

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
for reference - -

Matthew 8:28-33
And when he came to the other side, to the country of the Gadarenes, two demon-possessed men met him, coming out of the tombs, so fierce that no one could pass that way. And behold, they cried out, "What have you to do with us, O Son of God? Have you come here to torment us before the time?" Now a herd of many pigs was feeding at some distance from them. And the demons begged him, saying, "If you cast us out, send us away into the herd of pigs." And he said to them, "Go." So they came out and went into the pigs, and behold, the whole herd rushed down the steep bank into the sea and drowned in the waters. The herdsmen fled, and going into the city they told everything, especially what had happened to the demon-possessed men.

Mark 5:1-14
They came to the other side of the sea, to the country of the Gerasenes. And when Jesus had stepped out of the boat, immediately there met him out of the tombs a man with an unclean spirit. He lived among the tombs. And no one could bind him anymore, not even with a chain, for he had often been bound with shackles and chains, but he wrenched the chains apart, and he broke the shackles in pieces. No one had the strength to subdue him. Night and day among the tombs and on the mountains he was always crying out and cutting himself with stones. And when he saw Jesus from afar, he ran and fell down before him. And crying out with a loud voice, he said, "What have you to do with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I adjure you by God, do not torment me." For he was saying to him, "Come out of the man, you unclean spirit!" And Jesus asked him, "What is your name?" He replied, "My name is Legion, for we are many." And he begged him earnestly not to send them out of the country. Now a great herd of pigs was feeding there on the hillside, and they begged him, saying, "Send us to the pigs; let us enter them." So he gave them permission. And the unclean spirits came out, and entered the pigs, and the herd, numbering about two thousand, rushed down the steep bank into the sea and were drowned in the sea. The herdsmen fled and told it in the city and in the country. And people came to see what it was that had happened.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
begged, even - as ESV translates

interesting too that they are expecting torment, and that they expect it to come at a 'proper time' which they knew had not yet come.

Ignorun

Dec 18, 2018
If you ask a Jew...No. None whatsoever.

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
Why mercy,,, The pigs drowned themselves and they had to go through dry lands anyway
I am with you on this Demi, the outcome became the same as if they had no host to possess.
Not really because if I recall correctly, the pigs went off a cliff into water and drowned. Where the demons went after that, who knows..
Here is the Luke account with Strong's reference numbers:

Luke 8:31 AndG2532 they besoughtG3870 himG846 thatG2443 he would notG3361 commandG2004 themG846 to go outG565 intoG1519 theG3588 deep.G12

DEEP=G12
ἄβυσσος
abussos
ab'-us-sos
From G1 (as a negative particle) and a variation of G1037; depthless, that is, (specifically), (infernal) “abyss”: - deep, (bottomless) pit.

It is obvious, they needed a host to stay out of the abyss. :cool:

Oct 12, 2012
The abyss i would say, showing them no mercy?! 😘

L

LPT

Also do demons sense time the same as us? In any case their ultimate destination is sealed...

[4] For if God did not spare the angels who sinned, but cast them down to hell and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved for judgment;
Scripture seems to express about 2,000 pigs bolted to the water.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Scripture seems to express about 2,000 pigs bolted to the water.
Legion [N]
a regiment of the Roman army, the number of men composing which differed at different times. It originally consisted of three thousand men, but in the time of Christ consisted of six thousand, exclusive of horsemen, who were in number a tenth of the foot-men. The word is used ( Matthew 26:53 ; Mark 5:9 ) to express simply a great multitude.

https://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionary/legion/
Many other sources say the same. But then again the devil is a liar and so maybe the term 'legion' was more poetic or an over exaggerated number. :)

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012

I have wondered if this is the case here - could Jesus have cast the demons 'out of this realm'? Too, the Bible says that demons that are cast out roam for a while, and then return to their former home to see if there's another 'in'. By casting them into the pigs, do the pigs become their former home, so as to not return to the man?

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
By casting them into the pigs, do the pigs become their former home, so as to not return to the man?
I wouldn't think so. Notice where Jesus mentions 'man' twice and never pig or realm?...

When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none. Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth [it] empty, swept, and garnished. Then goeth he, and taketh with himself seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwell there: and the last [state] of that man is worse than the first. Even so shall it be also unto this wicked generation. (Matthew 12:43-45 KJV)

L

LPT

Many other sources say the same. But then again the devil is a liar and so maybe the term 'legion' was more poetic or an over exaggerated number. :)
In Mark 5 there’s a mentioning of how many pigs headed to the water, I assume each one had a demon for if a pig didn’t have a demon within, I couldn’t see a pig playing follow the leader into water IMO

Mark 5
13He gave them permission, and the unclean spirits came out and went into the pigs, and the herd of about two thousand rushed down the steep bank into the sea and drowned in the water.

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
Ooo, nice one! Food for thought. Never expect a truthful word to come out of a demons mouth.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
In Mark 5 there’s a mentioning of how many pigs headed to the water, I assume each one had a demon for if a pig didn’t have a demon within, I couldn’t see a pig playing follow the leader into water IMO

Mark 5
13He gave them permission, and the unclean spirits came out and went into the pigs, and the herd of about two thousand rushed down the steep bank into the sea and drowned in the water.
So that's assuming one demon per pig to make deviled ham? :p