G
Galahad
Guest
What will those folks be eating for Thanksgiving? Turkey. Oh, bless my pet, but kill the Turkey. Dingo's, Bimbo's, and Numbskulls.
Animal protective blessing from Magic Spells.com
Recite the following 3 times...
"'Bast of beauty and of grace,
Protectress of the animal race,
Shield {name of pet} from all hurt and harm,
And keep him/her always safe and warm.
Watch over {name of pet} from day to day,
And guide him/her home if he/she should stray.
And grant him/her much happiness,
And a good life free of strife and stress.'
Each time you say the spell drip 1 drop of Blessed Water/Holy Water on your animals forehead."
And Christians buy into this stupidity! Christianity is not of this world, folks.
I get that if it's a local church. Obviously, they mean one kind of animal -- the Philadelphia Eagles. (God's gonna bless them against the 'skins? Cool!) But you live in Texas. I'm not fond of the Cowboys, and I could care less about the Texans, but they're not animals, so I don't get it.While driving today I passed a local Episcopal church with a message on their marquee:
Animal Blessings Oct 4.
Are you sure? You are in Texas. Isn't steak close to sacred down there? (Just kidding, folks.)I don't think they meant saying grace before eating a steak dinner.
I grew up Catholic. What can I say? I remember my throat getting blessed. (Don't remember why, but once a year.)My old Lutheran high school had an animal blessing service last week. I saw a couple photos and honestly, I was weirded out by the concept. I just seems like a strange thing to do. I'm all for thanking God for animals etc. but this just seemed a little... I don't know, shallow maybe. The high school now has a primary school attached to it. Both are Christian, but I'd say the primary school is far more Christ-orientated.
Wow! The poor guy doing the blessing would want a chair if we had brought him the animals we had growing up. In our household (most were one brother's animals) we had a dog, 5-32 rabbits (supposed to be five but two females had babies the same day lol), up to 10 snakes, horn toads, chameleons, three-striped and five-striped skinks, newts, salamanders, toads, a caiman, bullfrogs (I spent 15 minutes once chasing the caiman around the turtle pen with a broom, until he dropped the frog legs sticking out of his mouth. Yes, the bullfrog hopped away lol), gerbils and mice (the snakes and caiman had to eat something), an iguana, 3-7 paint turtles, 200 box turtles, an aquarium full of guppies, and one or two stray reptiles that came and went for whatever reason. And, yes, my brother knew the names of each of his pets. (No one else did -- except for Linda the box turtle who saw her own babies, Patches the stud muffin rabbit that had his way with the ladies, and the mixed up rabbit dog who belonged to all of us -- but he did. lol)THE BLESSING OF EACH PET (INDIVIDUALLY)
The blessing is usually done with the sprinkling of water over the animal and the owner.
"N., (name of animal, i.e. "Smokey", not cat/dog) may you be blessed in the Name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. May you and (the name of the "owner") enjoy life together and find joy with the God who created you."
or this
"N., may you be blessed in the Name of God who created you, and may you and (owner’s name) enjoy life together with our God."
or this
May you be blessed in the Name God, the Creator, Redeemer and of the Sustainer. May you and your animals enjoy life together and find joy with the God who created you. Amen.
THE BLESSING PRAYER
Most high, almighty Lord, our Creator, yours are the praise, the glory, the honour and all blessings! To you alone do all things belong. Be praised for giving us the animals, birds and fish which fill your world. May we think of you and thank you when we play with and care for our pets. Be praised for making us so happy to have our pets and to have them to play with. We ask you, Lord, that we may be good to our pets always, so that they may be happy also. Help us always to take care of them so that they will be healthy. O God, your world is wonderful. May we all come into your even greater world of the kingdom of heaven where we shall see even more wonderful things and where we shall live and love for ever.
This we ask to your eternal praise, and to our
blessing.
Amen.
Adapted from The Liturgy Archive
s/animalblessing.htm
He did seem to have a particular fondness for a young colt-donkey outside of Jerusalem once. You got me thinking -- if God cares for every sparrow, do you think it' possible he knew that donkey well?Some people view their pets like family members. Some people have no other family members except for their pets. Some pets love and care more for people than some family members do.
I myself wouldn't go to a service to have my pet blessed because I can ask God myself to bless my pet. But I'm no final authority. God knows people's hearts and for the life of me I can't see Jesus ever condemning somebody who loves their pet so much and is so thankful for them that they'd want them blessed by God.![]()
He did seem to have a particular fondness for a young colt-donkey outside of Jerusalem once. You got me thinking -- if God cares for every sparrow, do you think it' possible he knew that donkey well?
Pffft! You included a cat. Cat's give conditional love -- feed me, give me a warm spot to lie down (a lap or a rump when sleeping is good), and scratch in just the right spot for just the right length of time, and I'll love you. lol