Sheep/Goat Judgement

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
O

Omegatime

This is my first post, so be kind-lol. Timing for this Judgement??, and Why by works and not faith thru grace?

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
This is my first post, so be kind-lol. Timing for this Judgement??, and Why by works and not faith thru grace?
Precious friend, Omegatime, a Very Warm Welcome to CC.
I hope this is kind enough for you:

With God's Word Of Truth, Rightly Divided, we find:

Prophecy/law, ISRAEL, gospel of the kingdom, faith + works:
Timing of sheep/goat judgment is After The Second Coming,
To earth!

Rightly Divided (2 Timothy 2:15 KJB!) From Things That DIFFER!:

MYSTERY/GRACE, The Body Of CHRIST, Gospel of GRACE Through faith!
Timing of Bema Seat Judgment, After our Great GRACE Departure,
To Heaven!!

More kind, And, Important Confirmation "studies":
God's Approval/TWO Different Gospels
Distinctions In God's Two Different Programs: Prophecy vs Mystery!

Please be Richly Encouraged, enlightened, exhorted, and edified!
God's Simple Will!

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
It is faith thru grace, but like James states that faith without works is dead. Our works do not save us but we can not have true faith without works. they are joined. Jesus does all the good in us so all glory to God. Knowing if we are letting Jesus live in us is shown by our actions but we are saved by faith.

Oct 23, 2020
Matthew 25:31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.

When I once saw goats and sheep intermingled, the goats were black and the sheep were white.
According to the shepherd the goats were very naughty, not the sheep - I got the impression that to separate them he would have to call out the sheep into a separate area.

Oct 23, 2020
Although it sounds like an end time judgment, it seems to me more about ''AD 70'', where God
separated Israel into Kingdom of Heaven Israelites, and branches for the fire.

Acts 2 5 Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
Welcome. Good question. "Faith without works is dead". It is also true that works without faith are dead. When Lord Jesus spoke to the churches in the book of Revelation, He said, "I know your works......"

John says that we know that we have passed from death to life when we love the brethren. Love is practical. If one of the brethren is suffering lack, we must help them. I knew a young couple in the large Pentecostal church I attended. They were struggling financially and faced eviction. One response was to give them a book by a prosperity preacher. It would have been better to give the money. You can't eat a book.

I left that church and I was exhorted to meet a man who led a small group. He was a contractor. I finally went to meet him. Over the next few weeks, I saw him open his wallet to give to single mothers and the unemployed members of the group. I was astonished. There was no offering. There was a plate at the entrance to the meeting place if you wanted to give. One time I wanted to give, he told me to give to one of the members who needed it. If there was a special need, he gave an opportunity for people to give, if they were able. No one went without.

That's "sheep" behaviour. God met his every need, including the gift of a house to live in.

How unlike prosperity preachers who just want the contents of your wallet. I'm not saying that every prosperity preacher is a goat, but there are some who sure look like it.

When will the judgement be? I believe as soon as the individual dies. God is outside of time as we know it.

If a person is born again, it will be proven by a change in behaviour and attitudes. Church surveys indicate that less than 10% of church attenders are born again. The 90% are disqualified from God's kingdom. This is a tragedy. How do we know who is for real and who is not? By their fruit and by their works. I suspect that many of us will be surprised by who is a sheep and who is a goat.

Please note that sheep are sheep and goats are goats by nature. You can't make a goat into a sheep. So preaching to "goats" trying to get them to act like "sheep" is pointless.

Oct 23, 2020
Someone told me that all the OT stuff is metaphorical.

Leviticus 11 3 Any animal that has divided hoofs and is cleft-footed and chews the cud—such you may eat.

This apparently refers to reading the Word and rightly dividing the word

------

I know that goats like to eat the leaves of trees.......so maybe they like to source non-Word material also....

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Hello @Omegatime, I believe the Sheep/Goat Judgment (which is also referred to as, "The Judgement of the Nations") occurs at the end of the Tribulation.

As for why it appears to be a salvation (or condemnation) based upon works (or the lack thereof), this narrative describes those being judged on the basis of what they do, rather than on the basis of who/what they are.

The "sheep", because they are believers who have been saved by grace through faith, act in accordance with their new nature in Christ, IOW, they do what believers do, because that's what they are (cf - take note of what is said about the sheep/believers in Matthew 25:34).

The goats are shown to be unbelievers on the basis of what they do as well. IOW, what they do demonstrates who they are since they act in accordance with their nature, just like the sheep do (however, unlike the sheep, theirs is still an old/fallen/sinful nature).

If you think about it, I believe all of the end times judgments are based upon works, even the Bema Seat Judgment of the saints (though the Judgment at the Bema Seat is one of rewards, or the lack thereof, as no one who stands before the Lord in that Judgment will be condemned).

God bless you!

~Deut
p.s. - I see that you are a new member here, so I should also say, welcome to CChat :)

1 Thessalonians 5
23 May the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body
be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
24 Faithful is He who calls you, and He also will bring it to pass.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
Matthew 25:31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.

When I once saw goats and sheep intermingled, the goats were black and the sheep were white.
According to the shepherd the goats were very naughty, not the sheep - I got the impression that to separate them he would have to call out the sheep into a separate area.
Interesting. You don't hear a lot about wild sheep. There are plenty of wild goats. Sheep need a shepherd, goats survive pretty well on their own. Sheep must be shorn or the fleece gets too heavy and the sheep struggles to survive. Christians know that they need Christ. Goat "Christians" treat their belief as if it was a fashion accessory to wear once a week (maybe). They may have mental assent to the truth but it does not change their lives.

Mar 4, 2020
Nice to meet you. Welcome to the forum. I believe the sheep/goat judgement, in Matthew 25, is an image of the great white throne judgment (GWTJ) of Revelation 20. I think this because of the reference to being thrown into the lake of fire. It appears to occur at some point after the millennial kingdom.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
We are to follow the shepherd as Christ is, not be goats who follow their own way.

That means we are to obey our shepherd. We are told that we are not saved according to our obedience, but our faith. We are also told that we are judged by our works, and that our works make us great in the Kingdom of Heaven.

Matt. 5:19 So then, whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do likewise will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
It is by faith, real faith mean trust Jesus to the point to invite Jesus take over us.
If He in us and we in Him we will bear fruit and the fruit of Holy Spirit is love

So loving work is not the requirement but the product of faith.

John 15
5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

ewq1938

Oct 18, 2018
Nice to meet you. Welcome to the forum. I believe the sheep/goat judgement, in Matthew 25, is an image of the great white throne judgment (GWTJ) of Revelation 20. I think this because of the reference to being thrown into the lake of fire. It appears to occur at some point after the millennial kingdom.
I agree. Check this out:

Does Matthew 25:31 refer to the second coming or a different coming?

Here's the full passage where we will see Christ and his angels arriving somewhere and at this place the unsaved will be judged and sentenced to everlasting fire otherwise known as the Lake of Fire.

Mat 25:31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
Mat 25:32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
Mat 25:33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
Mat 25:34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
Mat 25:35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
Mat 25:36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
Mat 25:37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
Mat 25:38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
Mat 25:39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
Mat 25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
Mat 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
Mat 25:42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
Mat 25:43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
Mat 25:44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
Mat 25:45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
Mat 25:46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

The issue here is at what timeframe does this firery punishment take place? The second coming or another coming?

Many people aren't aware that the GWTJ does not occur on the Earth. Christ must leave the Earth to go to where it happens which results in a "coming" to this new place that is not a reference to his second coming which is to the Earth.

Rev 20:11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.

Earth and heaven fleeing away means this is a place away from both Heaven and Earth which means Christ would have to leave Earth and "come" to this new place. Not all "comings" refer to the Earthly second coming. A "coming" is simply an arrival somewhere. After completing his second coming which is to the Earth, Christ would have to leave the Earth to be present at the GWTJ and the punishment of the lake of fire.

Rev 14:10 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:

This is a reference to Christ and his angels being present when the unsaved are cast into the LOF. Compare that to this:

Mat 25:31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:

So, this coming is Christ and his angels coming to the place where the final judgment will take place. It is not the second coming because the GWTJ does not happen immediately when Christ arrives on the Earth plus the GWTJ doesn't take place on the Earth. Even the dead must be taken to this place after they are resurrected as we see them arriving from hell, death and the sea in Revelation 20.

ewq1938

Oct 18, 2018
This is for those who are into numerology and how numbers can mean certain things. This will also show how and why Matthew 25:31-46 is not speaking of the second coming despite the word "coming" being used.

Mat 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
Mat 24:30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
Mat 24:31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.
Mat 24:32 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:
Mat 24:33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.
Mat 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.
Mat 24:35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
Mat 24:36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

1. Second coming will come at an unknown hour.

Mat 24:37 But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
Mat 24:38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark,
Mat 24:39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

2. Second coming will come without the unsaved knowing beforehand.

Mat 24:40 Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
Mat 24:41 Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
Mat 24:42 Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.

3. Second coming will come at an unknown hour.

Mat 24:43 But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up.
Mat 24:44 Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.

4. Second coming will come at an unknown hour.

Mat 24:45 Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season?
Mat 24:46 Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing.
Mat 24:47 Verily I say unto you, That he shall make him ruler over all his goods.
Mat 24:48 But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming;
Mat 24:49 And shall begin to smite his fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken;
Mat 24:50 The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for him, and in an hour that he is not aware of,
Mat 24:51 And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

5. Second coming will come at an unknown hour.

Mat 25:1 Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.
Mat 25:2 And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.
Mat 25:3 They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:
Mat 25:4 But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.
Mat 25:5 While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.
Mat 25:6 And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.
Mat 25:7 Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.
Mat 25:8 And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.
Mat 25:9 But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.
Mat 25:10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
Mat 25:11 Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.
Mat 25:12 But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.
Mat 25:13 Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

6. Some will be prepared for the second coming and some will not be prepared. The second coming will come at an unknown hour.

Mat 25:14 For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods.
Mat 25:15 And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey.
Mat 25:16 Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents.
Mat 25:17 And likewise he that had received two, he also gained other two.
Mat 25:18 But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money.
Mat 25:19 After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them.
Mat 25:20 And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more.
Mat 25:21 His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
Mat 25:22 He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them.
Mat 25:23 His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
Mat 25:24 Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:
Mat 25:25 And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.
Mat 25:26 His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:
Mat 25:27 Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury.
Mat 25:28 Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.
Mat 25:29 For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.
Mat 25:30 And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

7. Second coming will result in rewards for some and punishment for others.

7 represents completeness so it is logical to expect something different to be discussed and thus we do not see something related to the second coming but something that happens at a later time, the GWTJ and lake of fire punishment which doesn't happen at or even near the second coming:

Mat 25:32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
Mat 25:33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
Mat 25:34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
Mat 25:35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
Mat 25:36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
Mat 25:37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
Mat 25:38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
Mat 25:39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
Mat 25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
Mat 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
Mat 25:42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
Mat 25:43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
Mat 25:44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
Mat 25:45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
Mat 25:46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Jul 8, 2021
The timing of the judgement is unknown to us. Anyone trying to predict it is wasting their time. It's when God decides.

The foundation of the church is faith in our Lord Jesus Christ, that he is the son of God, that he sacrificed himself for our sins, and was resurrected. You cannot even begin to achieve salvation unless you have faith.

But you cannot hope to receive eternal salvation without good works as well. To say we love God is not the same as loving a human. To love God is to not sin, praise him, read the bible and pray to him.

The path to salvation is through a narrow door and we have to be constantly vigilant to achieve it.

Oct 23, 2020
This parable is preceded by a Wedding Banquet parable, which is the second parable involving the Wedding banquet
in Matthew. We see in Matt 22 that the banquet is ready before the destruction of Jerusalem.

4 “Then he sent some more servants and said, ‘Tell those who have been invited that I have prepared my dinner: My oxen and fattened cattle have been butchered, and everything is ready. Come to the wedding banquet.’5 “But they paid no attention and went off—one to his field, another to his business. 6 The rest seized his servants, mistreated them and killed them. 7 The king was enraged. He sent his army and destroyed those murderers and burned their city.
8 “Then he said to his servants, ‘The wedding banquet is ready, but those I invited did not deserve to come. 9 So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’ 10 So the servants went out into the streets and gathered all the people they could find, the bad as well as the good, and the wedding hall was filled with guests.

So in Matthew 25 we can see the same order of events with the virgins. The wise virgins have enough oil (for themselves) to make a journey in the night out of the city, to meet the Lord for the wedding banquet. The foolish cannot and get locked into the city.

10 “But while they were on their way to buy the oil, the bridegroom arrived. The virgins who were ready went in with him to the wedding banquet. And the door was shut.

So this sequence of parables all pertain to the destruction of Jerusalem - the sheep and the goats.

Evmur

Feb 28, 2021
London
christianchat.com
At the end of the 1, 000 year reign of Christ ... long after the church has been raptured [so shall we ever be with the Lord] when He comes to judge God will bring us with Him.

Therefore ...

This judgement does not involve the church ... we have to discover who are these righteous sheep? what is their inheritance?

Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven
Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Welcome!

Sheep = those nations who aided Israel during the time of Jacob's Trouble.
Goats = those nations who opposed God and the nation of Israel during the time of Jacob's Trouble.

O

Omegatime

Welcome!

Sheep = those nations who aided Israel during the time of Jacob's Trouble.
Goats = those nations who opposed God and the nation of Israel during the time of Jacob's Trouble.