Should Christian men and women dress differently or does it matter under the new covanent?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I think if you constsntly judging people on outward appearances particularly their clothing you are not seeing them how God sees them.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
I think if you constsntly judging people on outward appearances particularly their clothing you are not seeing them how God sees them.
I don't think anyone is suggesting that one is not saved because of fashion.

Question: If a woman is going around half naked tight fitting clothes, showing off most of her body and she calls herself a Christian, is there any conclusion you could make regarding her spiritual condition?

Ignorun

Dec 18, 2018
I don't think anyone is suggesting that one is not saved because of fashion.

Question: If a woman is going around half naked tight fitting clothes, showing off most of her body and she calls herself a Christian, is there any conclusion you could make regarding her spiritual condition?
Good question. I have my answer, but no matter how much or how little I write, it would be misconstrued, knotted, torn to shreds. I'll just add or expand to your question. Cheerleader outfits. (They "OUT" quite a bit.) NFL cheerleader outfits. How about string bikinis? On and on. (Interesting discussion in this THREAD. Hope we don't run out of material! Enough. I'm done.) Are those types of clothes modest? I don't think so. As for the spiritual condition, I don't know. I do know my children were taught what is appropriate and inappropriate. My wife and I did have standards. And as a general rule, better to be on the conservative side of dress than on the questionable side.
Oh this response is going to stir folks. I know it will.
Lock and load, commence firing...

M

Miri

i have no business wearing a bra. but my wife literally wears my old jeans when she does yard work a
and we swap t-shirts often.

in high school i was homecoming king two years in a row and wore a type of skirt. i suspect a portion of the votes the second year were because of the expectation that i would wear another skirt to the football game & crowning..
but afaik no one ever thought i was an homosexual, not even the homosexual friends i had. you'll just have to take my word for it but by no means at all was i effeminate in character or dress.
for the voters it was more about the novelty, i think, and for me at the time, hey it was darn comfortable. i don't think i did wrong but nowadays i think a lot more about causing a stumbling block. my attitude is changed.

Some men do have man boobs and could probably do with some support. lol

Dec 9, 2011
Looking at Deuteronomy 22:5–The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God. ... Is not abominable to God under the new convenent? Thank you 🙂
In the old testament they were purifying the outward man/flesh but In the new testament GOD wanted the TRUTH and magnified It through HIS WORD made flesh, JESUS as the son of man IS Perfect In body and SPIRIT.

So then In the old testament the propper clothing would have been the obedient thing to do but the priest being obedient outwardly might not have been truthful Inwardly.They couldn't purify their conscience and GOD desires perfect righteousness.

Grace AND Truth came by JESUS so then those In JESUS are GODs workmanship created In CHRIST unto good works that was ordained before the foundation of the world.

Dec 9, 2011
Looking at Deuteronomy 22:5–The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God. ... Is not abominable to God under the new convenent? Thank you 🙂
I agree with you but some people who read your post are going to say,YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME and I think I understand why they might say that,because saying that the way they dressed doesn't matter under the new testament to them Is them thinking that their holiness makes a difference to GOD and they don't realize that they are, after Salvation, suppose to renew THEIR minds not GODs mind to the new creation they have become which Is GODs WORKMANSHIP created In CHRIST unto good works that was preordained from the foundation of the world.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Its just says for women in the new testment to adorn themselves modestly not with embroidered hair, gold, pearls but with good works.

Check out 1 timothy 2:9

Its also talking about men praying. In corinthians the custom for men is to pray with their heads uncovered and for women their heads covered. Thats the only difference in clothing I can see. Nothing is mentioned about pants and skirts.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Would this include gold and diamond jewellery (including wedding rings)? Thanks 🙂
I think in the context Paul was meaning hair. But am not 100% sure.
I dont wear jewellery myself so am not really bothered about it cos I dont actually have any gold and diamonds to wear.

Also..in James. This is talking about a man wearing a gold ring...yet read the passage to get the context

JAmes 2:1-9

May I ask why do you ask these questions, are you examining your wardrobe or buying new clothes something? Or are you worried about other people?

Jesus also did talk about clothing, he did say if youve got two coats, give your second coat to someone who doesnt have one. And if youve got a torn garment dont patch it up its best to make a new one. Also the Pharisees of his day went around with long robes and showed off their rich clothing.

When Jesus got crucified they stripped him of his garments and even gambled over who got his robe.

Dec 30, 2018
I think in the context Paul was meaning hair. But am not 100% sure.
I dont wear jewellery myself so am not really bothered about it cos I dont actually have any gold and diamonds to wear.

Also..in James. This is talking about a man wearing a gold ring...yet read the passage to get the context

JAmes 2:1-9

May I ask why do you ask these questions, are you examining your wardrobe or buying new clothes something? Or are you worried about other people?

Jesus also did talk about clothing, he did say if youve got two coats, give your second coat to someone who doesnt have one. And if youve got a torn garment dont patch it up its best to make a new one. Also the Pharisees of his day went around with long robes and showed off their rich clothing.

When Jesus got crucified they stripped him of his garments and even gambled over who got his robe.
I wondered about the wedding ring’s pagan origins as brought into the Christian wedding ceremony way back... I want to honour God is why I ask.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I wondered about the wedding ring’s pagan origins as brought into the Christian wedding ceremony way back... I want to honour God is why I ask.
Your wedding ring? Or wedding rings in general.
People wore rings to show they were bound, even slaves wore them to show they were owned by their masters. I dont think its a pagan thing necessarily. In the Bible it talks about earrings for slaves.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Genesis chapter 24 talks about Isaacs betrothal to Rebekah and his servant gave her lots of jewellery. See verses 47-53

Dec 30, 2018
Genesis chapter 24 talks about Isaacs betrothal to Rebekah and his servant gave her lots of jewellery. See verses 47-53
Yes but that wasn’t a “wedding ring” like today’s is (sacred, on the fourth finger, part of the wedding ceremony)...am I wrong that these are very different? Thanks🙂

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Its jewellery, what do you mean it wasnt a wedding ring. How many rings does it mattee its the same thing. If you want to wear it on your fourth finger or pinky, it doesnt matter.

I dont know, are you married? Ask your husband what it means as he's the one that gave it to you!

If you not married then you dont have to worry.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Boaz wore a skirt and he spread it over Ruth. He also took off his shoe to indicate he would marry her.

To say men dont wear skirts is silly and to confuse pants with being only for men is silly too. Sorry IMHO. To honor God one must do the good works hes prepared you to do. But you need to be asking Him what is it Lord do you want me to do.

Maybe you have too many clothes in your wardrobe you dont even wear. What about giving them to someone who has none? Or maybe you could sew some clothes or knit some for babies.

Ignorun

Dec 18, 2018
Nothing wrong with jewelry. Wear your wedding ring. The pagan origin of something, a custom, practice, etc usually has little to do with those things in our day. Pagan origins are connected with a host of things in our lives...days and months names, holidays: August, Sunday, Monday, parts of Easter, Christmas, and Halloween.