Should Christians be allowed to own a gun legally?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
I think that is debatable. Our laws are based on the ten commandments. I don't think our laws are based on the laws of Rome. During Jesus day, it was Rome who was ruling the Jewish people.

I would like to see some scripture for your arguments.
The Bible was the most referenced source but Rome's Constitutional Republic was highly prized among the founders. For example,

George Washington mimiced the leadership of Cincinnatus.

Polybius lived under Rome's rise to power and wrote historical accounts.

Polybius sought to answer this question in his book, The Histories.

Polybius believed that Rome’s constitution was effective for two reasons. Firstly, the constitution adapted to suit human nature. Secondly, it prevented what he referred to as “anacyclosis,” a cyclical theory of political evolution and decay

In John Adams’s A Defense of the Constitutions of Government of the United States of America, he cites Polybius numerous times and even dedicates an entire chapter to his theories. Praising the Roman constitution’s separation of powers, Adams writes:

The Roman constitution formed the noblest people and the greatest power that has ever existed. But if all the powers of the consuls, senate, and people had centered in a single assembly of the people, collectively or representatively, will any man pretend to believe that they would have been long free, or ever great?"[33]​
James Madison, discussing the separation of powers, stated that “no political truth is certainly of greater intrinsic value.”[34] In Federalist 63, Madison cites Polybius, and he dedicates Federalist 47 entirely to the separation of powers. The influence of Polybius can be keenly felt when Madison writes: “The accumulation of all powers, legislative, executive, and judiciary, in the same hands whether of one, a few or many, and whether hereditary, self appointed, or elective, may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny.”[35]

https://fee.org/articles/the-separation-of-powers-from-polybius-to-james-madison/

J

joecoten

Viva Frei, a Canadian lawyer podcaster, just said on-air that it is illegal to own a firearm in Canada for the purpose of self-defense.
That sounds about right.

I_am_Canadian

Dec 8, 2014
Sister salvation, many do not believe we need one, I personally believe all believers should have some protection (Luke 22:36-38!!). Jesus told his people to buy a sword, why? Because if another person is in trouble, YOU can help them!! Peter had no problem cutting the ear off a soldier, and Jesus knowing he would do this sure did not stop him before he did it! (John 18:4-11!!)

Jesus did not rebuke Peter, he just told him that is enough. SO!!!! That is why I carry a weapon, I am trained, and can help another, and have!! I respect those who do not own protection, but we all have different ministries, and we need all in the Body of Christ.
Hey I'll raise a glass of gingerale and drink a toast to the second amendment and the right to bare arms.

I_am_Canadian

Dec 8, 2014
I think that is debatable. Our laws are based on the ten commandments. I don't think our laws are based on the laws of Rome. During Jesus day, it was Rome who was ruling the Jewish people.

I would like to see some scripture for your arguments.
I am aware the first colonies were founded by christians, and that the laws are based on the 10 commandments, But I have seen kent hovinds seminar series and debate series, i think he is right on one point, the second amendment wasnt to protect hunters rights. The founding fathers of america put the second amendment in to protect citizens from a corrupt government.

S

Seeking-Christ

The Bible was the most referenced source but Rome's Constitutional Republic was highly prized among the founders. For example,

George Washington mimiced the leadership of Cincinnatus.

Polybius lived under Rome's rise to power and wrote historical accounts.

Polybius sought to answer this question in his book, The Histories.

Polybius believed that Rome’s constitution was effective for two reasons. Firstly, the constitution adapted to suit human nature. Secondly, it prevented what he referred to as “anacyclosis,” a cyclical theory of political evolution and decay

In John Adams’s A Defense of the Constitutions of Government of the United States of America, he cites Polybius numerous times and even dedicates an entire chapter to his theories. Praising the Roman constitution’s separation of powers, Adams writes:

The Roman constitution formed the noblest people and the greatest power that has ever existed. But if all the powers of the consuls, senate, and people had centered in a single assembly of the people, collectively or representatively, will any man pretend to believe that they would have been long free, or ever great?"[33]​
James Madison, discussing the separation of powers, stated that “no political truth is certainly of greater intrinsic value.”[34] In Federalist 63, Madison cites Polybius, and he dedicates Federalist 47 entirely to the separation of powers. The influence of Polybius can be keenly felt when Madison writes: “The accumulation of all powers, legislative, executive, and judiciary, in the same hands whether of one, a few or many, and whether hereditary, self appointed, or elective, may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny.”[35]

https://fee.org/articles/the-separation-of-powers-from-polybius-to-james-madison/
I don't understand your point. If our founders built us on Rome then perhaps they are wrong.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
I don't understand your point. If our founders built us on Rome then perhaps they are wrong.
The founders studied history and every law giving nation, every government, and knew the Bible better than most people today.

They used the Bible as the foundation for moral guidance in laws and for government structure but they also took what worked in history for government. Washington paved the way for the two indispensable pillars: Religion and Morality. He believed this was crucial to prevent the moral decay that governments always followed.

They designed the best governmental system the world had ever seen by implementing the Constitutional Republican for of checks and balances much like the Roman Republic but they learned from Rome's weaknesses.

Unfortunately, no free system will hold if the people are morally corrupt.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
My question is very simple. Is it okay for Christians to own a gun legally for protection purposes? I would love to hear what other people has to say in regards to that.

I personally believe that we dont need a gun, but at the same time, arent everyone entitled to protect themselves? Now, you see where the confusion is with me lol :)
Yes we can own fire arms. I personally use flood lights and tranquizer guns. I need only stop an intruder, not kill him. When I was younger, I killed three intuders on different ocauaions. I was paid by the Major to move to a different City. He even paid my rent up front for a few years.

I_am_Canadian

Dec 8, 2014
Yes we can own fire arms. I personally use flood lights and tranquizer guns. I need only stop an intruder, not kill him. When I was younger, I killed three intuders on different ocauaions. I was paid by the Major to move to a different City. He even paid my rent up front for a few years.
Surprised he didnt give you the key to the city for lowering crime in the city

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
My question is very simple. Is it okay for Christians to own a gun legally for protection purposes? I would love to hear what other people has to say in regards to that.

I personally believe that we dont need a gun, but at the same time, arent everyone entitled to protect themselves? Now, you see where the confusion is with me lol :)
Hi SC,

I hope you never need to use lethal force to defend yourself or your family. When I open my school back up, I will be teaching Ladies self defense, hand to hand combat, and how to defend against weapons. Why?
Jesus did not establish His physical kingdom on earth yet, where there will be peace and justice throughout.
Because we live in perilous times.
That's why he commanded His disciples to do something that was contrary to Roman law......
Buy a sword. IMHO that would include the training necessary to use one properly just like owning any tool.
A weapon is simply a tool.
They are used by criminals to steal, murder, and rape. But They can be used by the decent peaceful children of the King to defend what is precious to them. I have experienced break-ins in the middle of the night. One escaped my home while I grabbed a blunt trauma weapon and a shotgun. Terrible things could have happened to my Mom and brother otherwise. When I traveled to Texas, I was attacked by 3 big men while sleeping in the middle of the night. I had no weapon other than my hands and feet. They tried to murder me, but by God's grace, He gave me the ability to will that battle. Not bragging, just saying that you never expect it to happen to you. When it does, you realize why Jesus told His disciples...

"And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing. 36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. 37 For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end."
Luke 22

You are right. Everyone is entitled to protect themselves. Every animal of the forest protects their young. Humans, who are made in God's image are the only ones that kill their own children, (inner cities it's the majority), for convenience and accept others "requirements" to entrust their protection to those who go by the term "the Authorities."
The devil want God's people to be weak and to be his victims.

Do you have any opinions on what verse 37 means?

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Surprised he didnt give you the key to the city for lowering crime in the city
Hi Canadian!

How are things going right now?
We've been praying that the Lord would remove Trudeau and replace him with someone who would obey God's Word; also for your freedoms and salvation of our Canadian neighbors.

Jun 28, 2022
To answer the question, yes. Absolutely.

The sword was the equivalent of a gun in Jesus' day. Jesus told his disciples to buy a sword even if they had to sell their cloak.

This command is how Peter came to be armed in Gethsemane when temple guards came to arrest Jesus.
And how Peter was able to cut the ear off a guard.

Jesus told Peter to put up his sword after that. Because those who live by the sword die by the sword.

And it was true.

Rome conquered most of the known world using swords as their offensive weapon.

In 476 A.D the German barbarian Odoacer overcame Roman forces and de-throned Romulus Augustulus, taking his throne and crown.

Jun 28, 2022
Hi SC,

I hope you never need to use lethal force to defend yourself or your family. When I open my school back up, I will be teaching Ladies self defense, hand to hand combat, and how to defend against weapons. Why?
Jesus did not establish His physical kingdom on earth yet, where there will be peace and justice throughout.
Because we live in perilous times.
That's why he commanded His disciples to do something that was contrary to Roman law......
Buy a sword. IMHO that would include the training necessary to use one properly just like owning any tool.
A weapon is simply a tool.
They are used by criminals to steal, murder, and rape. But They can be used by the decent peaceful children of the King to defend what is precious to them. I have experienced break-ins in the middle of the night. One escaped my home while I grabbed a blunt trauma weapon and a shotgun. Terrible things could have happened to my Mom and brother otherwise. When I traveled to Texas, I was attacked by 3 big men while sleeping in the middle of the night. I had no weapon other than my hands and feet. They tried to murder me, but by God's grace, He gave me the ability to will that battle. Not bragging, just saying that you never expect it to happen to you. When it does, you realize why Jesus told His disciples...

"And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing. 36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. 37 For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end."
Luke 22

You are right. Everyone is entitled to protect themselves. Every animal of the forest protects their young. Humans, who are made in God's image are the only ones that kill their own children, (inner cities it's the majority), for convenience and accept others "requirements" to entrust their protection to those who go by the term "the Authorities."
The devil want God's people to be weak and to be his victims.

Do you have any opinions on what verse 37 means?
Many blessings surround you in the reopening of your women's defense school.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016

You believe Guns are only owned for the use of personal protection from other people? yes?

I can say with confidence that thousands of farmers and hunters would disagree with that belief..

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
You believe Guns are only owned for the use of personal protection from other people? yes?

I can say with confidence that thousands of farmers and hunters would disagree with that belief..
Recreational shooting sports are also almost never mentioned.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Many blessings surround you in the reopening of your women's defense school.
Thank you Bluesproverb!
I didn't go into details enough, but it's going to be for any decent people who want to learn these skills, become fit, and how to defend against violence.
Lady's self defense is one popular class.
I will have a children's class where parents are encouraged to participate. I believe that to be a very effective way to strengthen that bond between children and their parents.
Nothing against organized team sports, because we include fun competition too. It's just a lot different than dropping off the kids at the field for practice. Plus, the children get past the hurdles of fight and escape the big strong adult "abductor" (if that were ever to occur), because they've been practicing with their parents.
Then there will be standard adult classes.
The military guys like to add to their basic training to gain an advantage. They usually ask for private lessons or clinics that are accelerated programs and get into advanced weapons sooner.
The ladies tend to start for the self defense and continue for fitness and creativity, because like dance, it's fun to learn and has an attractive flair to it.

Please pray because I suffered an injury that put me behind schedule.

Jun 28, 2022
Thank you Bluesproverb!
I didn't go into details enough, but it's going to be for any decent people who want to learn these skills, become fit, and how to defend against violence.
Lady's self defense is one popular class.
I will have a children's class where parents are encouraged to participate. I believe that to be a very effective way to strengthen that bond between children and their parents.
Nothing against organized team sports, because we include fun competition too. It's just a lot different than dropping off the kids at the field for practice. Plus, the children get past the hurdles of fight and escape the big strong adult "abductor" (if that were ever to occur), because they've been practicing with their parents.
Then there will be standard adult classes.
The military guys like to add to their basic training to gain an advantage. They usually ask for private lessons or clinics that are accelerated programs and get into advanced weapons sooner.
The ladies tend to start for the self defense and continue for fitness and creativity, because like dance, it's fun to learn and has an attractive flair to it.

Please pray because I suffered an injury that put me behind schedule.
✝️💕🛐

I_am_Canadian

Dec 8, 2014
Hi Canadian!

How are things going right now?
We've been praying that the Lord would remove Trudeau and replace him with someone who would obey God's Word; also for your freedoms and salvation of our Canadian neighbors.
Hey health and happiness. Thanks I appreciate that. Things are ok except my dad went to a doctors appointment and isnt home yet. Hey went to his family doctor and decided to visit people in Brantford.

I wouldnt mind as much except I have to get up early for school and he is my ride. I hate that my dad can be so irrisponcible

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Hey health and happiness. Thanks I appreciate that. Things are ok except my dad went to a doctors appointment and isnt home yet. Hey went to his family doctor and decided to visit people in Brantford.

I wouldnt mind as much except I have to get up early for school and he is my ride. I hate that my dad can be so irrisponcible
With the price of gas/ petrol he probably wanted to kill two birds with one stone.
I'd just do what you can and leave the ride with him. Do you have a backup, Like maybe a nearby friend that can swing by on the way tomorrow?