Should Christians Hunt?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

Miri

we were a totally separate creation from all other creation, made in the Creators image, that is why we don't have the
claws , etc.

You don’t meet many women do ya. Lol :p

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
only the ones I can drag back to my man cave by the hair!

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
My feelings aren’t hurt, but yes I find it annoying when people choose to insult you and your ideas just because they are in opposition to their own. Often, like displayed on this thread, people are insulting a supposition because it’s not written directly in scripture then they pull a wilder supposition out of nowhere. It just makes it difficult to have an intelligent discussion, when some would rather attack than discuss. It’s a waste of time for everyone when you have to repeat continually what you originally stated because they are too busy formulating their opinion, instead of simply reading what you wrote.
well, if you aren't getting any argument, you're being too wishy-washy... :) The only thing you get from riding the fence is a sore crotch.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying here... I just try to not go to either extreme with eating choices.

I do firmly believe that "whole/natural" is the best way to go.

Wild game is supposed to be much better for you than the "raised" meat animals. I know that wild pig is a much leaner, almost "sweeter" tasting meat than domestic hogs. Good stuff.

Venison is really good. It always bothers me to hear people say "I can't stand venison... it doesn't taste anything like beef"

I always answer... "guess what? It ISN'T beef. You don't expect pig or chicken to taste like beef, why do you expect a deer to taste like a cow?"

The only thing you have to be careful with in deer and elk is CWD... chronic wasting disease. Any animal that doesn't appear to be fully healthy should not be harvested for food.

Huckleberry

Aug 25, 2013
I’m still interested in your radiation theory. My comments weren’t specific to this thread.
I believe that plant-based food is healthier than
animal based food, so lets get that out of the way.

Concerning lifespans, men used to live almost
a thousand years in the antediluvian environment.
For the sake of this argument we'll presume they were strict vegetarians.
So then why do most of the millions of vegetarians today
not live even a hundred years, let alone a thousand?
Because diet is not the greatest factor of longevity.

In a nutshell:
Genesis 1:7, water in place above our atmosphere.
Genesis 2:5, Earth was moistened by mist emanating from the ground..
Genesis 7:11, aforementioned water rained down for forty days.
Genesis 9:13-14, rainbows first seen, indicating sunlight had always been diffused prior.
Genesis 47:8-9, Jacob's conversation with Pharaoh,
which was about six hundred years after The Flood.

I'm not a physicist, but I don't think you need to be to see that the
sun's harmful radiation, which the Earth was protected from prior to
The Flood, is the greatest single factor to the longevity of organisms.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
eating meat didn't happen till after the fall

L

La_Vie_En_Rose

I think it is one of those personal things, like whether or not to eat meat or read Harry Potter. Personally, I would not want to hunt. Guns scare me, and I would not want to kill an animal. But, I see the attraction- being out with nature, feeling a connection with ancestors, feeling like you could survive in a primitive civilization and take care of your family. It is a nonissue, as far as I am concerned.

On a side note, I do think it is ethically wrong to hunt endangered species, and poor sportsmanship to hunt a stocked farm.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
eating meat didn't happen till after the fall
What a coincidence! That's when DEER SEASON is.... during and after the fall!

See! I KNEW hunting was scriptural.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
I think it is one of those personal things, like whether or not to eat meat or read Harry Potter. Personally, I would not want to hunt. Guns scare me, and I would not want to kill an animal. But, I see the attraction- being out with nature, feeling a connection with ancestors, feeling like you could survive in a primitive civilization and take care of your family. It is a nonissue, as far as I am concerned.

On a side note, I do think it is ethically wrong to hunt endangered species, and poor sportsmanship to hunt a stocked farm.
You should get someone you trust to take you out to a shooting range, or somewhere else, and just do some shooting. It's much like driving a car... sort of scary until you understand how things work, and practice it a little.

My wife is not a "gun person", but when she does go shooting with me, she really enjoys it. She really enjoyed shooting my AR-15, because it's loud enough to let you know you are shooting a semi-powerful firearm, but there is almost zero recoil (kick).

The last several years I've hunted deer, I haven't taken a shot. I enjoy watching the deer, and other animals that run around out in "the boonies". I don't "have" to kill a deer, but I probably will try to harvest one soon, because I love the flavor of it. Venison makes the best chili, fajitas, and jerky I've ever had.

L

La_Vie_En_Rose

You should get someone you trust to take you out to a shooting range, or somewhere else, and just do some shooting. It's much like driving a car... sort of scary until you understand how things work, and practice it a little.

My wife is not a "gun person", but when she does go shooting with me, she really enjoys it. She really enjoyed shooting my AR-15, because it's loud enough to let you know you are shooting a semi-powerful firearm, but there is almost zero recoil (kick).

The last several years I've hunted deer, I haven't taken a shot. I enjoy watching the deer, and other animals that run around out in "the boonies". I don't "have" to kill a deer, but I probably will try to harvest one soon, because I love the flavor of it. Venison makes the best chili, fajitas, and jerky I've ever had.
Perhaps this is too much disclosure, but I was menaced by a loaded gun (on more than one occasion) by my abusive father when I was a child, so guns give me the heebie jeebies. I don’t want to be around them at all.

I have had venison, it is very good and not gamey like I thought it would be.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
God takes the shedding of blood seriously according to scripture. so should we.

We shed it for food, it supplies a serious need

Christ shed it to pay for our sins so even though we live in this world in a fleshly body we can be cleansed of sin. How serious is that?

It is a basis of life, that something of mystery that science would like to explain and can't. Taking it away from anything is serious, not a recreation.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Anything can be healed and restored through Christ, sometimes takes time, perhaps start with airguns, a nice daisy or such and shoot some pellets, air is great anyway as one doesn't need the ear protection, enhanced hearing to become confidant once again.
blessings

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
Perhaps this is too much disclosure, but I was menaced by a loaded gun (on more than one occasion) by my abusive father when I was a child, so guns give me the heebie jeebies. I don’t want to be around them at all.

I have had venison, it is very good and not gamey like I thought it would be.
I'm sorry to hear about the parental abuse... I can understand how that can create a phobia. My brother's wife will not eat any kind of bird... no chicken, turkey... nothing. Her brothers used to chase her around on their farm with dead birds when they were young.

I wish there was an easy fix for that, but I certainly don't know what it would be.....

venison, if properly handled after a kill, is VERY tasty. If the animal isn't cooled down as rapidly as possible, and other precautions taken when cleaning/skinning, it can taste pretty nasty.

I tell people that if you killed a cow, then threw it up on the top of your car, and drove it 100miles back home, then went around and showed all your buddies, and did a sloppy job cleaning it, I imagine it would taste pretty nasty, as well.

L

La_Vie_En_Rose

I'm sorry to hear about the parental abuse... I can understand how that can create a phobia. My brother's wife will not eat any kind of bird... no chicken, turkey... nothing. Her brothers used to chase her around on their farm with dead birds when they were young.

I wish there was an easy fix for that, but I certainly don't know what it would be.....

venison, if properly handled after a kill, is VERY tasty. If the animal isn't cooled down as rapidly as possible, and other precautions taken when cleaning/skinning, it can taste pretty nasty.

I tell people that if you killed a cow, then threw it up on the top of your car, and drove it 100miles back home, then went around and showed all your buddies, and did a sloppy job cleaning it, I imagine it would taste pretty nasty, as well.
Heaven is the eventual fix, lol. I will not be neurotic in Heaven. I simply choose not to be where guns are, it is my preferred lifestyle. I don’t think there is anything ethically wrong with hunting a nonendangered species, it is just not my thing.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
We need not put up with stuff that isn't in harmony with Galatians 5-21, He is the G-d who heals us, it is His very nature.
blessings

Feb 28, 2016
we, hub and myself, think it always comes down, now-a-days, 'is it necessary, and if not,
then what is your motive?...
it's really very simple, if one cares to 'ask themselves'...

mcubed

Dec 20, 2013
It depends on what we are hunting. Endangered species, like an elephant, no. Deer, that over are populated and cause car accidents yes.

What always gets me though, is it evolunitionest that want to protect animals when the theorie between an evolutionist and the mandate by G-d are so backwards. G-d says tells us to be good stewards of the Earth while evolutionist believe in the survival of the fittest. It's ironically funny, an evolutionist wanting to protect animals they do not believe in their own theory......

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
I never had an opinion about this before but I was thinking this morning, in nature carnivores hunt and kill but it serves a purpose. It strengthens the collective of both parties involved. The stronger thrive/survive to pass on genes and the weaker die so they don’t. We humans already have an unfair advantage in this survival game. We already eat to excess, probably two to three times our required calorie need (foregoing a necessity), then we aim for the stronger, trophy worthy animals. This messes up God’s design of natural selection. We could argue that the medical industry is plenty guilty of this but for now I’m just interested in your thoughts on hunting.
Nobody I know, except me cousin Frank, hunts for trophies. That's mostly a white man thing. Trophy bucks are tough, and you just about have to beat all the meat with a meat hammer to eat it.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
Nobody I know, except me cousin Frank, hunts for trophies. That's mostly a white man thing. Trophy bucks are tough, and you just about have to beat all the meat with a meat hammer to eat it.
The older bucks certainly CAN be tough, but the only deer I've ever had mounted (it was not that big, but just very symmetrical... "pretty", if you will) was a big (for Texas) mature buck.... and that deer was some of the best eating venison I've ever had. Older bucks, beyond their prime, can get tougher, just like any other animal.

Wild pigs are notorious for being tougher and less appetizing, the bigger they get. I've taken a couple that were in the 125-150 pound range that were very tasty.