Should not Christians be the most sensitive and compassionate?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
If you intentionally set out to polarise people by asking them to go for one thing over the other of course there will be conflict and arguments.

Some people just dont know how to introduce a discussion without turning it into a debate.

for example.
You want to talk about masks. A better way to approach it is something like....Lets discuss the pros and cons of wearing them.

what you dont do its ask a leading question like is it wrong to wear a mask?

Or say the topic is flat earth (not sure why?!) instead of insisting on this contentious topic why not talk about GEOGRAPHY.

ToastAndTea

Jul 31, 2018
I was in another Christian forum board and ended up leaving. Now am not perfect and am sure I am as capable of anyone of being harsh with others but I was appalled at the way quite non essential issues became so polarised on there?

Even a debate on masks or vaccines or flat earth could become quite nasty with those on the opposition being accused of not being real believers.

Surely as Christians we need to put aside these differences and have unity in the body? If we have Jesus as Lord and saviour we are one. Yes we can disagee, I think that's fine but am shocked how much harshness and accusation comes from believers when Jesus would not have been harsh or unkind.

Jesus didn't break a bruised reed and a of us have some degree of brokenness.
Of course we are not called to go around putting one another down or denigrating one another. But when we are called to share truth, we are to do so in love.

EnglishChick

Apr 20, 2021
England UK
Of course we are not called to go around putting one another down or denigrating one another. But when we are called to share truth, we are to do so in love.

I think my concern is that sometimes I see Christians attacking other Christians on issues which aren't black or white and aren't really to do with Jesus at all

E.g. Masks
vaccines
Flat earth
Whether women should work or not

Things that aren't anything to do with Jesus and are about personal opinions

ToastAndTea

Jul 31, 2018
I think my concern is that sometimes I see Christians attacking other Christians on issues which aren't black or white and aren't really to do with Jesus at all

E.g. Masks
vaccines
Flat earth
Whether women should work or not

Things that aren't anything to do with Jesus and are about personal opinions
Our job is to try and see everything as Jesus did. Even the things that are opinions. Our love for him should shape our worldview.

EnglishChick

Apr 20, 2021
England UK
Our job is to try and see everything as Jesus did. Even the things that are opinions. Our love for him should shape our worldview.

But those things aren't salvation issues. Surely Jesus doesn't consider these things hugely important

ToastAndTea

Jul 31, 2018
But those things aren't salvation issues. Surely Jesus doesn't consider these things hugely important
Definitely not salvation issues but they are an indicator of where we stand with Christ. If we say we love him, do we love the things he loves?

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Some people dont have anything better to do than air their opinions on things. They talk about things that dont seem to affect them in any way when others directly experience it.

My mum sewed some masks. We dont use disposable ones, we WASH and dry the ones we make.
Brother works in a hospital and was immunised because front line workers all need to be jabbed. It would be stupid not to.

You cant talk about flat earth when you live on an island with active volcanoes and people die in earthquakes.

Jesus was human just like us. He walked this earth and experienced suffering and pain. He didnt live in a utopia, Israel was far from it.

JesusWhereRU

Apr 16, 2021
If you intentionally set out to polarise people by asking them to go for one thing over the other of course there will be conflict and arguments.

Some people just dont know how to introduce a discussion without turning it into a debate.

for example.
You want to talk about masks. A better way to approach it is something like....Lets discuss the pros and cons of wearing them.

what you dont do its ask a leading question like is it wrong to wear a mask?

Or say the topic is flat earth (not sure why?!) instead of insisting on this contentious topic why not talk about GEOGRAPHY.
well, i think words are over-rated... I mean, words thatseem to say Compassion

We see the party of "compassion" and how they couldn't care less about the pain of the unborn during an abortion.. couldn't care less about THEIR right to life

so yeh... Compassion is a bit of a mis-used word to saythe least...

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Nope. It was called Christian forums
I think I went on that site a few times, a couple years ago.
But it wasn't a literal question. I was making the point that what you're describing goes on here too.

EnglishChick

Apr 20, 2021
England UK
well, i think words are over-rated... I mean, words thatseem to say Compassion

We see the party of "compassion" and how they couldn't care less about the pain of the unborn during an abortion.. couldn't care less about THEIR right to life

so yeh... Compassion is a bit of a mis-used word to saythe least...
I doMr do politics much so couldn't comment on that. Also although I don't believe abortion is Godly I would not let it create a division between myself and a believer who thinks differently

I am sure God hates political parties cutting welfare programmes for the poor just as much as abortion but somehow many Christians don't think this is as serious an issue when though people can die from suicide or hunger when this happens.

EnglishChick

Apr 20, 2021
England UK
Also I have had Christians telling me am going to hell for wearing a mask, having covid vaccine etc which is not only unBiblical but v unkind

if they don't agree in wearing masks or vaccines, fair enough, live and let live, I don't care what they do, but they shouldn't be mentioning hellfire over it. Because that could cause a new or naive believer or non Christian to stumble

M

MoonCresta

Also I have had Christians telling me am going to hell for wearing a mask, having covid vaccine etc which is not only unBiblical but v unkind

if they don't agree in wearing masks or vaccines, fair enough, live and let live, I don't care what they do, but they shouldn't be mentioning hellfire over it. Because that could cause a new or naive believer or non Christian to stumble

English Chick - wow, I've never judged someone to be or not be a Christian - that's something I could never ever know.

Soooo, let me just say that whoever said that to you is so wrong on that point - wrong wrong wrong - on so so so many levels!

God bless you for your faith and kindness!

EnglishChick

Apr 20, 2021
England UK
English Chick - wow, I've never judged someone to be or not be a Christian - that's something I could never ever know.

Soooo, let me just say that whoever said that to you is so wrong on that point - wrong wrong wrong - on so so so many levels!

God bless you for your faith and kindness!
Thanks. God bless you