Should we as Christians look forward to death?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
B

BlackBird

I haven't really heard many people approach it in this manner, but I have thought about this often. Being Christians I do not feel we should fear death, but rather look forward to it. Not to the extent of taking our own lives, because I know God has a purpose for each persons life, but just a feeling kinda like a line in the song Elijah by Rich Mullins "it won't break my heart to say goodbye." just for the purpose of being rid of this worlds anxieties and getting to spend the rest of forever with God.

When I was a teenager I was a very depressed person and was suicidal, but I actually didn't care where I went, as long as it was away from this place we call earth. It was a feeling of despair that lead me to feel that way at the time. But now my looking forward to death is a hope. Not from a sad place, just thinking of the peace and love I know awaits me there.

So whether you agree with me or not, I just thought this would be an interesting topic to see how different people view the topic. How does everyone else feel we should view death?

S

Sully

It's probably not death people fear as much as it is dying.

B

BlackBird

I understand what you are saying, but I have heard people tell me they fear death...not being on the planet anymore. So it is not always just a fear of the act of dying. Sometimes it is they do not want to leave their life here.

S

Sully

I understand what you are saying, but I have heard people tell me they fear death...not being on the planet anymore. So it is not always just a fear of the act of dying. Sometimes it is they do not want to leave their life here.
Sure. The further a person walks and accumulates understanding especially those who know eternal life is more real than this type of testing ground like a warfare, the more real eternity in heaven becomes and the less real this strange place becomes. This is not our home.

Aug 16, 2016
if your looking at death in terms of laying our lives down for the lord then yes. if your speaking of death in the general since i don't think it's something we look forward to. While it's something we shouldn't fear, death has been a curse placed on mankind since the fall.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
I'm not the right person to talk to about death. I go to a funeral and I think you lucky sob, you're partying before the Throne of God and I'm not. Throne Room envy I call it. I have a hard time mourning Christians who have passed. It almost borders on jealousy.

But Paul felt it too. To live is Christ and to die is gain. He longed to be with the Lord, but said that as long as he is useful by God to help others he would remain. So I guess I oughta too.

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
We should not fear death if we are prepared for it.

On the other hand, the fear of change, of something new and unknown is always hidden somewhere inside us. Some of us will have it more influential, some less.

As Bible says, people who have a good life here on Earth, success, riches etc are very concentrated on it and it is very hard for them to enter the kingdom of God.
Someone, who has a miserable life, will look forward the death, because it will be a liberation for him.

T

TheChosenRambler

I think about this quite a lot, I know there are many verses about doing good and how the more good u doing the good of God's eyes the higher u will be?? I think this mainly old testament though? so sometimes gotta take it with a pinch of salt of what the old testment says?

I do wonder though.... i've had a very sinful life overall but I hope to change this and share God's love. Say for next 50 years I do only Good with a few hiccups of course...then I go to heaven and I go to heaven and all is well. Then my wife who isnt a christian finds God just before she dies . Does she go below me in heaven or the same place? I know heaven is about being in God's presence but I do wonder about this. IF I work my hands and feet off for God but someone else say not my wife but anyone accepts God as they die and he takes them in.....What is it worth me doing Gods work when I can just wait....?

I'm not saying I would stop sharing the message but it does interest me a lot this topic.... hmm wait maybe I've rambled and changed the theme please move this post if needed mods... lol or just delete :p

W

wwjd_kilden

I've never feared death (and more or less all of my friends, at least here in Norway, do, to the extent where they refuse to believe anyone can feel differently about it) I think it's mostly because I have a very Pragmatic outlook though.

Three things could happen really:

- Jesus IS the saviour of mankind and I go to heaven (Which, as a Christian I assume is true of course)
- Some other religion is right. (Well... I will find out then won't I? but as I believe in Christ, He is my hope)
- There is no God ... and I merely cease to exist. (In which case I am not concussion of it, so it doesn't matter)

So why worry about death?

Now dying worries me
because I know humans value being alive more than life ... so if I grow old, I might have to die slowly, painfully in a hospital.... now that is something I don't want.

J

jaybird88

i look forward to the next life, not so much death.

Jan 7, 2017
The Apostle Paul said in Phil. 1:23 I am torn between 2 things, I desire to depart ( Death ) and to be with Christ, which is far better; but is necessary for you that I don't for your sake. We can see in this passage and others that Paul looked forward to death and so should we. However, that was not his primary focus as we study hid letters. He focus was on the work that needed done. I think some Christians have their minds so much in the clouds that they neglect the work that needs done. So there is like in so many things a balance that needs to be maintained. At the same time a know some Christians that are terrified of death, this is not good either. Part of this may be their temperament but a lot of times it is due to in unbiblical view of God. They view God as hard to please and may have an unhealthy focus on their sins. 1 Cor. 15:56 says that the sting of death is sin and the power of sin is the Law. This as well is a problem of focus, if we focus on keeping God's Law we will soon find out that we will sin even more. Romans 5:20 The Law was added that sin might increase. Almost the entire Chapter of Romans 7 is devoted to this theme. Its important not to get the cart before the horse. We serve the Lord Jesus Christ not so that we may be forgiven but out of gratitude that we all ready are forgiven. If we get this backward we will find ourselves walking according the flesh and not the spirit. Romans 8:6 The mind set of the flesh is death (A negative emotional experience, considering the context. for example fear of death) but the mind set on the Spirit is Life and Peace. ( A positive emotional experience) Feelings of happiness, feeling close to the Lord, not fearing death etc.... I think 1 John 4:18 relates to this matter. The is no fear in love but perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment, the one that fears is not yet made perfect in love. This is very interesting and perhaps life changing for some. As believers in Christ its recognizing Gods love for us that liberates our soul, in the great freedom and security in that truth we are now truly free to love God and others. Notice Galatians 5:13 You, my brothers and sisters were called to be free. But don't use your freedom to indulge in sin but rather out of love serve one another. This is a basic truth but some Christians just don't seem to get it, myself included. Sorry, I have digressed here, I could seem to find a good place to stop without finishing my thoughts. Anyways, I think its ok for Christians to look forward to death.

Nov 12, 2015
I think about this quite a lot, I know there are many verses about doing good and how the more good u doing the good of God's eyes the higher u will be?? I think this mainly old testament though? so sometimes gotta take it with a pinch of salt of what the old testment says?

I do wonder though.... i've had a very sinful life overall but I hope to change this and share God's love. Say for next 50 years I do only Good with a few hiccups of course...then I go to heaven and I go to heaven and all is well. Then my wife who isnt a christian finds God just before she dies . Does she go below me in heaven or the same place? I know heaven is about being in God's presence but I do wonder about this. IF I work my hands and feet off for God but someone else say not my wife but anyone accepts God as they die and he takes them in.....What is it worth me doing Gods work when I can just wait....?

I'm not saying I would stop sharing the message but it does interest me a lot this topic.... hmm wait maybe I've rambled and changed the theme please move this post if needed mods... lol or just delete :p
There are two parables that I think are relevant here if I'm understanding your thought.
They are the one of the prodigal son and the one where the man hires workers and the one who starts very late in the day receives the same amount of money as the ones who worked from early morning.

In the Prodigal son story, the one son resented the party thrown for the son who returned because he had remained with the father and not gone off. So it seems to apply to what you were wondering.

In the other story, the workers who worked longest resented the fact that the others got as much as them.

Nov 12, 2015
I am sort of like the others who posted here. I don't fear death and I don't want to remain here any longer than God wants me to. If it was up to me I'd say let me go now. I also rejoiced for my dad when he died the beginning of this month. I couldn't be sad for him. I just couldn't. Like the other poster said, I was almost a little bit jealous because he got to go be where I want to be.

And the other poster said he thinks it is more dying (pain) that people don't want to go through than it is the actual death. I remember wandering around one day marveling over the fact that I wasn't afraid to die any more. It occurred to me that although I wasn't afraid to die and actually would prefer to die, I was afraid of great physical pain.

When I hear a Christian say they aren't ready to die, it always puzzles me and it makes me a little bit nervous for them because I think God will do whatever is necessary to detach our hearts from this world and from love of it. I knew a man who loved Jesus but who also had some idols, things he cherished way more than made sense. God took these idols from him and it was a great distress to him. He took the mans car because with his sickness, his license was taken, and he took the mans beautiful lawn and he took every comfort the man had, to detach his heart from the things it was so fond of and solicitous towards. So He will do whatever is best for us to prepare us to bear the weight of His glory.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
I haven't really heard many people approach it in this manner, but I have thought about this often. Being Christians I do not feel we should fear death, but rather look forward to it. Not to the extent of taking our own lives, because I know God has a purpose for each persons life, but just a feeling kinda like a line in the song Elijah by Rich Mullins "it won't break my heart to say goodbye." just for the purpose of being rid of this worlds anxieties and getting to spend the rest of forever with God.

When I was a teenager I was a very depressed person and was suicidal, but I actually didn't care where I went, as long as it was away from this place we call earth. It was a feeling of despair that lead me to feel that way at the time. But now my looking forward to death is a hope. Not from a sad place, just thinking of the peace and love I know awaits me there.

So whether you agree with me or not, I just thought this would be an interesting topic to see how different people view the topic. How does everyone else feel we should view death?
Nothing wrong with looking forward to being with God.. So long as it does not cause one to murder oneself (suicide)..

Dec 19, 2009

I was going to say, "No, we shouldn't look forward to death," but then I remembered that I do spend some time thinking about being with loved ones who have passed on. Still, we are here, not there, and we shouldn't be trying to hasten the process of going there.

Nov 12, 2015
I can't understand how one would be able to keep from looking forward to no more tears, sickness or pain...

D

Depleted

What is death? The beginning of spending eternity in peace and love? If that's the beginning, what is this we're living now? Has God withheld peace or love for us? If yes, then something is wrong with your relationship with God. And, that's the problem. Most (if not all) of us can say yes, but that's not God doing the withholding, that's us pushing it away. He promised both to his kids.

If no, than what is death? Is this life all about us or about God? Because if we're thinking this life is all about us, then we're thinking the next life is all about us too. I think too many think of God as the travel agent -- put in your ticket now for the eternal vacation plan, where you go to do whatever you want forever and ever.

God does have a plan. But that's not it. He will gather himself a people who will worship and enjoy him forever and ever. Life and death are no different. He will have himself a people who will worship and enjoy him forever. That starts at rebirth. This is the beginning of eternity for us. What we're going for is spending time worshiping and enjoying God.

Life is like gutting a house for the next occupant. In our case, the next occupant is God, and he's the one who already took up residency and is the one gutting us to make it suitable for him. Next life is it's suitable and we like that.

To me, death is missing people I love, or not finishing what I started. Worse yet! It's change! I hate change! The very reason the new occupant has to gut me and start over.
:eek:

Jan 7, 2017
Those are 2 very good parables about the Grace of God. If you think about it, every religion teaches that there is something that we need to do to be acceptable before God, it may be a certain amount of good works, refraining from bad deeds or the performance of Rituals. The message of Christianity is unique in that there is nothing we can do to make things right between us and God, salvation is a free gift that we simply need to receive. Still yet in a different way this tells me that this is not a man made message.

B

BlackBird

I am sort of like the others who posted here. I don't fear death and I don't want to remain here any longer than God wants me to. If it was up to me I'd say let me go now. I also rejoiced for my dad when he died the beginning of this month. I couldn't be sad for him. I just couldn't. Like the other poster said, I was almost a little bit jealous because he got to go be where I want to be.

And the other poster said he thinks it is more dying (pain) that people don't want to go through than it is the actual death. I remember wandering around one day marveling over the fact that I wasn't afraid to die any more. It occurred to me that although I wasn't afraid to die and actually would prefer to die, I was afraid of great physical pain.

When I hear a Christian say they aren't ready to die, it always puzzles me and it makes me a little bit nervous for them because I think God will do whatever is necessary to detach our hearts from this world and from love of it. I knew a man who loved Jesus but who also had some idols, things he cherished way more than made sense. God took these idols from him and it was a great distress to him. He took the mans car because with his sickness, his license was taken, and he took the mans beautiful lawn and he took every comfort the man had, to detach his heart from the things it was so fond of and solicitous towards. So He will do whatever is best for us to prepare us to bear the weight of His glory.
I think he has always done this with me and my mother as well. I have nothing here on earth that really ties me here other then whatever it is God has planned for me. Which I feel I know what he wants for me, but he has always kept me distant from a real desire for life here on earth. Oddly enough I don't handle death of others very well emotionally.