Should we be praying for our wicked country and its wicked wicked leadership? I think tje bible says yes

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
I have spent weeks praying for the demise of our country's leadership.
But today, I have been convicted pray for their salvation. I believe Jesus said to pray for our enemies, but man oh man is it tough. What say you? Pray for leaders in the media? Pray for my Govener( a very wicked man) But pray FOR them?
Sure. It is Scriptural to do so. But two more things come to mind:

1.) It helps us avoid the pit of bitterness.

2.) There, but by the Grace of God, go we.

Remember the big picture... God is in complete control and will soon set things aright on Earth as in Heaven.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
If you like having your country totally trashed, and becoming the laughingstock of the world.
It's not my country. All the countries of the world have been trash for a long time. As you said, they are of the world. We must pray for all of them.

Romans
12:18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.
12:19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but [rather] give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance [is] mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.
12:20 Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.
12:21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
The prayer is oriented towards the kingdom of God. In another moment of the Divine Liturgy, it is the priest who asks God to remember them in His kingdom:

Priest: The President of the United States and all civil authorities and our armed forces everywhere: may the Lord God remember them in His kingdom always, now and ever and unto ages of ages.
Choir: Amen.
I wasn't referring to the Prayer in the Liturgy (I am familiar with a number of liturgies).
I was referring to this statement of yours:
I know this is a very delicate debate (the Church and the politicians), at least in Romania it is. I do not wish to argue about this. I know both those that agree with this 'marriage' as well as those who disagree have their fair points.

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
But today, I have been convicted pray for their salvation. I believe Jesus said to pray for our enemies, but man oh man is it tough. What say you? Pray for leaders in the media? Pray for my Govener( a very wicked man) But pray FOR them?
There's a number of things here to consider.

1. Is the government really your enemy or are we making them an enemy?

2. Jesus said, pray for those who persecute you and love your enemy. I highly recommend we learn what that truly means and not find reasons to not love. You can't love and slander on internet forums at the same time.

3. When Jesus mentioned the above, He was speaking to people in the midst of Roman occupation.

4. When Paul wrote the scriptures about praying for leaders etc. They were in the midst of varying degrees of actual persection.

I can see others mentioned some things in this thread.

We don't have dual citizenship, our citizenship is in heaven alone.

I don't believe having 'godly leaders' is the answer. I don't believe in Christian nationalism. We can't force people into our values. Government is meant to represent the people of the land, not just the Christians of the land, even if we don't agree.
By means, lobby if you so desire, make your voice heard but people are going to make the choices they are going to make.

Jul 23, 2018
There's a number of things here to consider.

1. Is the government really your enemy or are we making them an enemy?

2. Jesus said, pray for those who persecute you and love your enemy. I highly recommend we learn what that truly means and not find reasons to not love. You can't love and slander on internet forums at the same time.

3. When Jesus mentioned the above, He was speaking to people in the midst of Roman occupation.

4. When Paul wrote the scriptures about praying for leaders etc. They were in the midst of varying degrees of actual persection.

I can see others mentioned some things in this thread.

We don't have dual citizenship, our citizenship is in heaven alone.

I don't believe having 'godly leaders' is the answer. I don't believe in Christian nationalism. We can't force people into our values. Government is meant to represent the people of the land, not just the Christians of the land, even if we don't agree.
By means, lobby if you so desire, make your voice heard but people are going to make the choices they are going to make.
The founders said and knew that our model of government only works under a christian occupation.
Christian men and women holding office.

Without christians leading, our laws and leadership corrupts due to evil oppression and crazyness of men without an inner compass

We are instructed to rise up and throw out oppressors and evil corrupt governance.

Use force. Just like in your home.
Just like protecting your family.

BigSky2021

Apr 23, 2021
It seems a lofty challenge, doesn't it? When I pray for my enemies I ask God to free them from the Adversary (Satan)'s influence and cause them to incline their ears and hearts towards the Good News that they might be saved. It happens sometimes. After all even the greatest opponents can, if God wills it, become a mighty witness as in the case of Saul/Paul

E

eternally-gratefull

I believe God converted nebachednezzar, if he could change him, he can change anyone

God puts our leaders in place, when we pray for them we pray I honor of him.

P

pottersclay

If I may....

In the bibical perspective here is what happened.

Proverbs tells us to train up a child in the way he should go.
For almost 4 decades we allowed let's say free thinkers to persue the writings of evil men and women
On communism Marxism and so on. Our colleges, universities, all adopted and taught these failed systems as a curriculum.
I've heard it said numerous times to let the child make up his own mind during theses times.
Let them seek out there own religion, beliefs .
While letting a television be the babysitter.
Along with churches failing to do what was right and the false preachers making a mockery of true Christianity is just a tip of the ice berg of what we have today.
The Lord has called his people to repent....notice his people.
We are called to be watchmen, we are to occupy, to seek God's righteousness, and to share the gospel to those that will listen.
It's true this is not our home but we are to tend the garden untill our king arrives.
Much needed prayer, and patience but also we need to have the work boots on of the Holy Spirit.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Is the government really your enemy or are we making them an enemy?
There is nothing subjective about the FACT that the governments of the nations have well and truly become the enemies of their citizens. All one has to do is carefully examine every piece of legislation, and every policy from on high, in almost every country. And then check the daily news.

These are all ATTACKS on the individual and a bolstering of the state. Whether it is Communism, Nazism, or Fascism, the state becomes the god of society. Which also means that Christians must then be persecuted and obliterated. Furthermore the COVID Conspiracy has enabled all governments to become tyrannical so that they can jail Christians and shut down churches.

So praying for those in authority today should mean (a) praying for their conversion or (b) praying for their removal, and preferably their sudden demise (e.g. Herod who thought he was God) . Not praying that evil may prosper.

The proper function of government functionaries is to SERVE the people who elect them. Hence the word "minister" (servant) is used for those officials. But once they gain power, they flip everything over so that the people become their servants and the self-serving politicians become lords.

The Constitution of the United States was designed to prevent such tyranny. But it could only work with those who were committed to Christian values. Since godless Communism has pervaded even the free countries of the world (including America) the Constitution and the rule of law have been totally trashed.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
But if you love those who love you, what credit is that to you?
For even sinners love those who love them.
(Luke 6:32)

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
The proper function of government functionaries is to SERVE the people who elect them. Hence the word "minister" (servant) is used for those officials.

For he is God’s minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God’s minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil. Therefore you must be subject, not only because of wrath but also for conscience’ sake. For because of this you also pay taxes, for they are God’s ministers attending continually to this very thing. Render therefore to all their due: taxes to whom taxes are due, customs to whom customs, fear to whom fear, honor to whom honor.
(Romans 13:4-7)
written in the days of Nero Caesar

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
There is nothing subjective about the FACT that the governments of the nations have well and truly become the enemies of their citizens. All one has to do is carefully examine every piece of legislation, and every policy from on high, in almost every country. And then check the daily news.

These are all ATTACKS on the individual and a bolstering of the state. Whether it is Communism, Nazism, or Fascism, the state becomes the god of society. Which also means that Christians must then be persecuted and obliterated. Furthermore the COVID Conspiracy has enabled all governments to become tyrannical so that they can jail Christians and shut down churches.

So praying for those in authority today should mean (a) praying for their conversion or (b) praying for their removal, and preferably their sudden demise (e.g. Herod who thought he was God) . Not praying that evil may prosper.
I prefer this thanks..
1 Tim 2 1-3
I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— 2 for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. 3 This is good, and pleases God our Savior,

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
For he is God’s minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God’s minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil. Therefore you must be subject, not only because of wrath but also for conscience’ sake. For because of this you also pay taxes, for they are God’s ministers attending continually to this very thing. Render therefore to all their due: taxes to whom taxes are due, customs to whom customs, fear to whom fear, honor to whom honor.
(Romans 13:4-7)
written in the days of Nero Caesar
If only those weak ineffectual Christians overthrew the Roman government...