Should We Pray Against Devils?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
Check this one out first:
Luke 10:
17 And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name.

18 And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.
Its a bad translations, there is no word "devil" in these verses.

"The seventy-two returned with joy, saying, “Lord, even the demons are subject to us in your name!” ESV

Satan means adversary.

But maybe you imply that because Jesus talks about satan in the next verse (meaning devil), then devil must be connected to demons in the previous verse? Ok, it would probably work.

emekrus

Jun 1, 2015
www.righteousfaith.wordpress.com
Its a bad translations, there is no word "devil" in these verses.

"The seventy-two returned with joy, saying, “Lord, even the demons are subject to us in your name!” ESV

Satan means adversary.

But maybe you imply that because Jesus talks about satan in the next verse (meaning devil), then devil must be connected to demons in the previous verse? Ok, it would probably work.
I wanted to know how you come up with the conclusion that translations are bad?
You seem so assertive in your conclusion. So I just wanted to know the parameters by which you judge bad translations...

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
I wanted to know how you come up with the conclusion that translations are bad?
You seem so assertive in your conclusion. So I just wanted to know the parameters by which you judge bad translations...
There is only one way you can determine that some translation is bad... by comparison with the original language.

In the original language there are "demons", not "devils".

7seasrekeyed

Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. (Matthew 18:18)

From the above scripture, I want to ask:

1) What are we supposed to be binding and loosing here on earth?
2) What are we supposed to use to do the binding and loosing (could it be with a rope or thread)?

Your honest answer please?

my honest answer is that I am not the person who posted about binding and loosing

I really have not commented on that at all

I will say though that the translation should be demons and not devils

there is one devil...many demons

thanks

see post 14 for the person who makes light of these things

I personally do believe in casting out demons or binding their activity in our lives but I don't believe that everything people do with this regard is scriptural

emekrus

Jun 1, 2015
my honest answer is that I am not the person who posted about binding and loosing

I really have not commented on that at all

I will say though that the translation should be demons and not devils

there is one devil...many demons

thanks

see post 14 for the person who makes light of these things

I personally do believe in casting out demons or binding their activity in our lives but I don't believe that everything people do with this regard is scriptural
Sorry, then I quoted the wrong person. Let me quote the right person now.

emekrus

Jun 1, 2015
They were casting out an actual demon from a person. But what they didn't do is what the OP says, praying at so called demons saying "I bind you...looses you!" Etc.
Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. (Matthew 18:18)

2) What are we supposed to use to do the binding and loosing (could it be with a rope or thread)?

CS1

May 23, 2012
Then why don't we see the Apostles doing that stuff?
we see in the scriptures the apostles constantly in prayer , why?because Jesus taught them to pray and it was Jesus who said in context to demons " this type or kind do not come out accept with fasting & prayer ". Mark 9:29 Paul also taught as Jesus did in Eph 6. this was spiritual warfare .

Nov 12, 2015

The passage deals with a person sinning, not with demons...it has to do with two or more agreeing on a matter that the person would not listen about from the one who went to them privately...

emekrus

Jun 1, 2015
The passage deals with a person sinning, not with demons...it has to do with two or more agreeing on a matter that the person would not listen about from the one who went to them privately...
Going by your interpretation, then you mean Jesus was saying we should bind and loose sin? right?

Nov 12, 2015
Going by your interpretation, then you mean Jesus was saying we should bind and loose sin? right?
Not exactly...I believe He was saying if two or more agree on something, their decision is a binding/agreeing and it will be bound in heaven too. It's actually a sobering verse that would make you not want to abuse it or use it unless very necessary.

7seasrekeyed

Not exactly...I believe He was saying if two or more agree on something, their decision is a binding/agreeing and it will be bound in heaven too. It's actually a sobering verse that would make you not want to abuse it or use it unless very necessary.
I certainly do not believe ALL believers have the authority to do what Jesus is suggesting

you may be aware of the fact that some think this means you can have anything you want...I don't think you believe that, just pointing it out

actually, there are various interpretations with regards to this passage. I don't find it cut and dry myself and it is also applied to dealing with demons but there is no mention of them in that passage

I consider it one of those 'murky' things that people cannot seem to agree on so I 'hang loose' on it

in Matthew 18, Jesus is actually speaking of 'the kingdom of God' so looking at it in that context might be more fruitful

as I said though, I'm not definitive on it

7seasrekeyed

I consider a solid 80% of the things we discuss in here to be one of those "murky" things. :)
a solid 80% murkiness?

is that the same as fog so thick you could cut it with a knife? (jking)

IMO, many like to make an actual solid...such as one way for salvation...murky.

fact is, you are not a Christian if you do not believe Jesus is the only way and your salvation is off if you consider you have to work for your salvation or work to keep it

Nov 12, 2015
And one of the favorite sayings of someone trying to make a murky solid is: Do you even read your bible??! :LOL: