Shutdowns and Church attendance

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

How has Covid affected your church attendance

• I attended church before Covid and have stopped attending (even online) during covid

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I didn't attend church before Covid but I started watching online services during Covid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've continued attending church online when in person wasn't an option

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • I'll continue online church until all restricitions are lifted

• I miss in person church because.....

• I've grown to prefer online church because.....

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I will continue online church and not return to in person church

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
Having heard a few thinkers and trend watchers say that a significant portion of church goers aren't expected to return to in person church services even after all of the Covid restrictions are lifted I'm wondering how the past year has affected the church attendance of our CC group. So here's a quick poll but feel free to add your comments on how you think a year of social distancing has affected our church communities.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I didn't vote because mine wasn't up there. During the big shutdown last year (which didn't really seem to make sense at the time... we in Tennessee were shutting down because New York was being hit hard?) I was at church hitting "Stream" on the tablet that ran Facebook Live and balancing the sound from the sound booth.

We followed the rules. There were only ever eight or fewer in the building.

Things seem to be almost back to normal here. In-person church attendance is about back where it was pre-covid. We still set the tablet running right before church starts, but it only shows four people watching. Sometimes only one.

One caveat: I'm in southwest Tennessee, in what they call the Bible Belt. Of course people returned to church.

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
You're right. I forgot the.... I was one of the people showing up in person to run online services option.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
The percentage of people fitting that option is minuscule. You didn't forget it. It's just too small to be noticeable.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I found my own church attendance a bit sporadic after numerous lockdowns weve had here and you get so used to doing other things with your time (family, work, hobbies etc) that going back to church again cuts into it.
Though I think it depends on how strong your fellowship is.
I think the older congregation are a lot less connected than the younger ones and ithere is a disconnect. weve always had things like facebook and messaging and online but for them it was new.

My church was still printing the same newsletter each week and handing them at the door. They hadnt cottoned on to emailing or mailchimp, they had a website but barely used it, and then just did everything on facebook, but people have actually gone off facebook cos they are tired of it! I notice its the older generation on facebook and using it all the time wheras its all a bit passe for the younger people now.

Younger people often only go to church where their friends go. If they can get a ride. But this has been happening for years because I recall in one church I regualrly attended the youth only came when there were events or youth rallies they couldnt handle being regular church goers unless their parents took them there and sat them down in sunday school. For those of us who dont have family or are independent or go by ourselves we make the choice but for others its not a choice but an obligation.

anyway sorry long post but various things mean its hard for some to get back to going every single week.

Riveraname

Feb 16, 2021
I think I attended church before COVID, but sometimes skipping for a week or arriving extremely late (mom's fault). I used to attend the early teens service, but now that I'm older I don't think I'll be going there anymore.

Right now our family do our own service, they're pretty short and it's just me, my brother, and my dad (sometimes my mom).

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
I attended our Church and stopped for awhile when we were restricted from going. We then put up a giant tent that got blown down twice by gusty winds. Now, we are almost back to normal in the sanctuary with some wearing masks and some not. Some of the maskers are put off by the anti-maskers so there is some things to work out. Tomorrow morning we're having a Ladies Breakfast/Prayer Conference free, yayy, lol. Btw our Church offers Harvest at Home which airs every 2 hours starting Saturdays at 4pm with Pastor Greg Laurie. We're on the Book of Revelation and it's pretty good w/a great worship team:love: I like more than one Church, the other one is online, from Chicago.