Sign Language Room

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 9, 2010
I don't think the world can handle even one of me or I would. ;)

C

christiancollegegirl

It's actually really easy. The biggest thing you need to remember is that it is not signed english. That's a big mistake a lot of hearing people make. =)
You are so totally right!!!! As an Interpreter-in-training, I encounter lot of misinformed Hearing people that think ASL is just like english. Then I have to go through the whole schpiel about how ASL is its own seperate language just like Spanish or Italian. It has its own grammatical structure, and syntax. It changes and evolves just like a spoken language. New signs are created to convey new concepts, and older signs are often modified to become more 'modern'.

Then there's the other question. "Is sign language the same all over the world??" The answer to that is also no. Each country has its own signed language just as it has its own spoken language. Mexico has Mexican Sign Language (MSL), France has its own signed language (LSF), and so do many other countries. As far as I know, Canada does not. I think they use ASL like the US.

W

wwjd_kilden

The fact that you can't understand 'how' it would make people vulnerable, is reason enough the room shouldn't exist.

as a moderator, shouldn't you rather explain the reason?

I

iraasuup

as a moderator, shouldn't you rather explain the reason?
Evidently as it seems it isn't as obvious as I thought it was.

Vulnerability was the FIRST thing that came to my mind when I read this suggestion.

I can see the motive behind the idea was to cater for all users. But we already have enough wackos on here trying to stir the pot. Imagine if they get access to a room where people are communicating in sign language. It would cause all sorts of problems, and there'd be bans left right and centre. No thanks!

I don't want to portray sign language users as dumb or anything, but I mean people can EASILY take advantage of anyone who doesn't fully understand them. If there's ANY kind of communication barrier, it can cause all sorts of problems.

Well I think that's pretty self-explanatory.

W

wwjd_kilden

Evidently as it seems it isn't as obvious as I thought it was.

Vulnerability was the FIRST thing that came to my mind when I read this suggestion.

I can see the motive behind the idea was to cater for all users. But we already have enough wackos on here trying to stir the pot. Imagine if they get access to a room where people are communicating in sign language. It would cause all sorts of problems, and there'd be bans left right and centre. No thanks!

I don't want to portray sign language users as dumb or anything, but I mean people can EASILY take advantage of anyone who doesn't fully understand them. If there's ANY kind of communication barrier, it can cause all sorts of problems.

Well I think that's pretty self-explanatory.

But people use web cam in the ordinary chat... would a separate room be any more dangerous, people can abuse it in the main room too

I

iraasuup

But people use web cam in the ordinary chat... would a separate room be any more dangerous, people can abuse it in the main room too
It's not about the webcam. Yes, you're right people abuse ordinary chat with people who have no communication barriers... that's exactly my point. Imagine how much more they could abuse a room full of people who may not be able to communicate as well. It has nothing to do with abusing the webcam feature... it's more about taking advantage of chatters who may not be able to clearly understand what is being communicated.

I am trying to explain this as clearly as I can without giving any misconceptions or making people get the wrong idea about what I am saying, but it is proving quite difficult.

I'm just saying based on my experience, I do not think this is a good idea, however the decision is not mine to make. I'm just giving my feedback :)

W

wwjd_kilden

Ah, I think I see your point now, however, that would be the same, at least I think so, as if, for example I, went into the spanish room, as I don't speak spanish. wouldn't it?

I

iraasuup

Ah, I think I see your point now, however, that would be the same, at least I think so, as if, for example I, went into the spanish room, as I don't speak spanish. wouldn't it?
*bangs head on desk*

No, that's not the same at all. Let me try to think of a better way to explain it, then I'll get back to you.

I'm really trying not to say anything offensive here, because if I just say what my real concern is people will jump all over me and say my post is offensive... which is not the intention at all.

Let me work out how to make my point in a way everyone will understand and I'll get back to you.

W

wwjd_kilden

ok :)

I'm no trying to be difficult btw, it's just that people choose whether or not to enter the room, just like irl you'd choose whether or not to join the table with people using sign language

*waits excitedly for the explanation*

I

iraasuup

Why make an exception for a non-english language and not an exception for people raised in understanding english, but who cannot speak it?

As much as I hate to use the term "disability", it's making an exception for another common language, but not making one for those with a "disability".
The purpose of the spanish chat room is to allow for the many users we have who are/speak spanish. I know we have users from varying cultures, and obviously we can't make a room for every language that exists, but we do have A LOT of spanish speaking users, we also have a Moderator who can speak spanish, so there is someone who can be in the room to monitor the usage. We created the room so they could speak to one another, but also learn English. We have many users who struggle to understand what is being said, because English is not their first language.

It should also be noted we DID have a room for people with disabilities because it was requested by a disabled chatter. We made the room then NO ONE ever used it, not even the person who requested it, so it got changed to another room that people do use. We also had a lot of users upset about when this room was made. People thought we were segregating the 'disabled' users from everyone else. This is not our intention at all, we wish for ALL users to fellowship with each other freely, but the implementing of that room caused many problems, and after all that blew over, the room sat empty!!

You have to consider what it involves to make a new room. We don't have the resources to just create a new room for everyone who asks for one. It needs to be a viable option. Otherwise we'd have a million rooms, most of which would be empty, and the others would have 2 or 3 chatters spread between them.

We're better off investing in other things for the time being. So, take into consideration not only what it involves, but also the implications it will have on others (ie vulnerability) which I won't go into again.

Anyway, I'm done with this topic.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2010
The fact that you can't understand 'how' it would make people vulnerable, is reason enough the room shouldn't exist.
The fact that you think that is reason enough to show that you don't understand.

I can understand the practical reasons for not having a room, but not your fears about communication.

I

iraasuup

They are not fears. I have explained myself many times, and this is going nowhere.

Consider this thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.