signs and wonders and liverquivers Part 2.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

zone

Jun 13, 2010
it's just really, really simple.

the miraculous sign and revelatory gifts Christ gave (men) were for the founding of the NT church.
there was no canon yet. the gifts and office CEASED as canon was completed.
the word ceased can actually mean [be] destroyed.
perfect means mature (complete). "that which is perfect" exegetically can not mean in context, nor the word itself mean GLORY IN ETERNITY/THE SECOND COMING/JESUS.
it means the fullness of revelation delivered for all time - CANON.

this is an EITHER/OR issue. there's no part way or halfway. one either believes these gifts and offices CEASED and were partial, for a purpose, or you believe something else.

i know fully where i stand on this: on the Word of God, and with the Historic Church who has always known the foundation was laid ONCE in the Apostolic Era.
all this other stuff tells me (and i've said it before), i suspect we've entered satan's little season. and i'm not the only one. MANY believe the same thing - all the flags are here.

i've taken so much falk on tis site for this truth. i can't help it anymore if people get their feelings hurt - i have my convictions, and i need to present the truth.....AT ANY COST.

this is a grave and present danger, and people are being DESTROYED or lack of knowledge. if anybody wants to launch into another battle over this, i'm fully prepared (start a new thread). i've been working to compile a COMPLETE DEMOLITION of this thing, i've been at it for years and maybe it's time to give it everything i've got.

though there will be those who will NEVER believe the truth.

zone.

B.B. Warfield's "Counterfeit Miracles," 3-20

1. Some observations from B.B. Warfield’s “Counterfeit Miracles” (London, UK: Banner of Truth, 1972), 3-20.

2. The NT refers to spiritual gifts in the ordinary and extraordinary senses with God as the source. There are non-miraculous gracious gifts and the greatest gifts of faith, love and hope.

3. Churches throughout the apostolic period, planted by the Apostles at length, reflected gifts. Healings, miracles, prophecies, discernment of spirits, tongues (foreign languages) and their interpretation, preaching, teaching and the sacraments were characteristic of the churches. However, far from being possessed by all, it appeared extremely limited and narrowed to some elect individuals. 1 Cor. 12.1-3: The Spirit gives has He sovereignly determines, freely, mightily and as He was pleased to do.

4. The theologians of the post-Reformation were a “very clear-headed body of men” who taught with “great distinctiveness that the charismata ceased with the Apostolic age.”

5. Some theologians teach that the extraordinary gifts continued for three centuries after the apostolic period. One Anglican school of thought believes this.

6. Archbishop Tillotson is of this view. After the founding of the church throughout the world, “God was pleased to accompany it with a miraculous power; but after it was planted, that power ceased, and God left it to be maintained by ordinary ways.” John Wesley held this view, but believed that corruption led to the cessation of the extraordinary gifts. Several other Anglicans leaders held this view.

7. Warfield notes that there is much that is attractive, even plausible. However, he will later debunk the continuationist view. As to non-cessationism, “The facts are not in accordance with it.”

8. There is no evidence whatsoever of miracle-working in the first fifty years following the post-Apostolic church. In fact, the testimony is that of diminishment, decrease, and disinterest. Following that post-Apostolic period, there is a minor interest in it; there is some growing interest in it in the third century (the days of Montanism); there is evidence for it in the fourth and fifth centuries; the fourth and succeeding interest show interest in the subject, especially for Medeival Romanists trafficking like modern-day Pentecostalists. However, in the early period, there is little to no interest or explicit reference to them. We would say there was waning interest even in the book of Acts. Other than 1 Corinthians, all the Pauline epistles in the doctrinal and ethics sections show no interest in tongues, healings, or exorcisms. Same for the other epistles, as well as Revelation. We assert Pentecostals are frenzied ecstatics and are unhinged.

9. Justin Martyr notes that some had the gift of exorcism, healing and prophecy, but he gives no details, cites no cases, and shows no interest in the development of the issue. It’s by no means clear that he is referring to contemporaneous events or backwards to the apostolic and post-Apostlic period. His disinterest at development serves as a reminder that the modern Montanists, these Pentecostalists, are imbalanced, unhinged and are dominionistically demonic.

10. Irenaeus (d.202) writes to the same effect, with generality, lack of specificity, lack of development, and without large interest in the subject. He does mention tongues and raising the dead, but not as an eyewitness or worker of them. But, it appears that Irenaeus is speaking of the apostolic period. Ireneaus is at pains to compare and contrast the apostolic miracles long before him with the meager claims of heathen magic-workers.

11. Theophylus of Antioch (c.412) was challenged about reports of raisings from the dead. One such challenge came from Autolycus. The latter expected the former to attempt a defense. To the antagonist's suprise, the Christian Churchman, Theophylus, said that “there was no instance of this” for three centuries. Benny Hinn, however, predicts that relatives will bring caskets to the TV, touch it, and will be raised. Todd Bentley has claimed dozens.

12. Tertullian, Cyprian and Origen refer to exorcisms, healings, and prophecy without any reference to themselves as practicing or producing them.

13. Warfield’s point is that the middle of the second century contains references that are general as noted above.

Philip Schaff is quoted: “It is remarkable that the genuine writings of the ante-Nicene church are more free from miraculous and superstitious elements than the annals of the Nicene age and the Middle Ages…Most of the statement of the apologists are couched in general terms, and refer to extraordinary cures from demoniacal possession…and other diseases…Justin Martyr speaks of such occurrences as frequent…and Origen appeals to his own personal observation, but speaks in another place of the growing scarcity of miracles.” History of the Christian Church, Vol. 2, 117.

Again, re: Origen, “But there were signs from the Holy Spirit at the beginning of Christ’s teaching, and after His ascension He exhibited more, but subsequently fewer.” Origen, while noting some miracles in his time, observed that for all practical purposes, they had ceased.

14. Eusebius notes one resurrection from the dead, one in Philip’s house, the deacon of the apostolic church. Papias reported this. However, it was so uncommon by context, that it’s miraculousness was significant to Papias. Papias, a direct student and disciple of John the Apostle all but implies that “signs, wonders, and miracles” were not even common place. Barnard remarks: “If they were frequent, if he had even seen one himself, he would have told us of it, or to speak more accurately, Eusebius would not have selected for quotation a second-hand story, if evidence of a direct eyewitness was on record.” J.H. Bernard, any essay entitled “The Miraculous in Early Christian Literature” in a volume called “The Literature of the Second Century.” We would add another detail re: Papias, St. John’s disciple, that he wrote a 5-volume commentary on the Gospels. A few notes here: 1) The work did not survive except for fragments. It was probably confiscated in imperial “book burnings” including NT canons. 2) This involvement with the Gospels indicates that Biblical exposition was essential to church life.

15. Romanists have long catalogues of miracles, called teratology or teratoliges. More later on that. Pentecostalists, with their crafty and blasphemous Arminianism, fit in with the Romanists as well as the false Gospel.
Reformed Anglicanism: B.B. Warfield's "Counterfeit Miracles," 3-20

Last edited:
A

Abiding

I think my mistake was thinking people would read the thread intro.
you can expect too much :)

A

Abiding

One question i asked was did all people in the first century do signs and wonders?
my thinking was if that question could be answered, then we could move to
The Apostle, Prophet issue and purpose.

The emergent church contends the whole church(all believers) were and with the false logic
"that God does not change" or"not a respecter of persons" then so should we.

My response to that is ok lets do it your way. If the average believer in the
first century didnt do signs and wonders than neither should you.

I wish people would bring their scripture out on this so we can get down to the real deal
And that would be the Apostles, Prophets, and a few they chose to assist. Did these
signs and wonders, and for a limited,purposed time period.

Feb 17, 2010
Ok scripture... According to 1 Corinthians 7 : 7 ALL people recieve a PROPER gift from God. one after this manner and one after that. So no! Not all believers have the same gift.

And then we go to 1 Cor 12 Now concerning these spiritual gifts... and there are diversities of gifts...

And apparently these gifts are without repentance. Rom 11.

And apparently any person that recieve ANY of these gifts will be more active with this gift than even Jesus was with that particular gift! Of coarse Jesus had them all! Why would a person be more active? Becasue the harvest is way bigger than when Jesus came, and he onnly has one gift for many years to serve with...

The only problem is this... there is not enough harvesters... The reason... Too many false teachers!!! Too many false churches! Too many think they follow Jesus, but they actually follow the spirit of the Anti-Christ! Like myself! If I claim I have the Holy Spirit in me but I do not have one of HIS gifts to the BIGGER value than Jesus, then I am the spirit of the Anti-Christ! hy i healed people, but there was a snag... NOT ALL THE PEOPLE ALL THE TIME!

And becasue I realize my prayers means ZIP, now I can preach there is no more gifts, so let me convince the people God changed! That He does not want to show signs. And i believe He does not show to unbelievers, but let me start another new ministery claiming the Body of Christ now works different than He did when HE ESTABLISHED THAT BODY!

But me, Cobus, even though I am not a believer...I bet there is a body here on earth that is EXACTLY the same than HE was in the year 1 A.D. I bet that with my life! The only reason I am not part of that body is: I do not have the Spirit of God in me! I believe the moment I am ACCEPTED, completed, sanctified by God... when Jesus hands me to Father God.. without spot or wrinkle or any such thing THEN GOD UNITES ME TO THAT BODY! God makes me ONE WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT!!! Then I recieve my gift to do HIS work. ANYTHING HE WANTS ME TO DO! Now I am not me anymore, I am one with JESUS! JESUS IS ME AND I AM JESUS! In whatever form of Jesus wants me to be!

I am not a child of God but... if only I can change my heart AND BE PATIENT, not putting the sled before the horse... Search God with all I got, let me just follow the Spirit that leads me, by the water of the Word... Then this guarentee of God will also happen for me... that is a gaurentee from God that EVERY person that recieves the Holy Spirit will receive a gift of spiritual influence, and a status of Holiness equal to His own. GAURENTEED BY GOD HIMSELF.. Be holy for I am holy...

Now let us name just one gift... Even the gift of faith... Jesus says that when I recieve the Holy Spirit I will recieve a gift.. and let us say He gives me the gift of FAITH.. 1 Cor 12:9... then I will have a faith that is even less doubting than Jesus had... WOW! Cobus is almost blaphemous now... Why will mine exceed His? Becasue Jesus said so! It does not mean i will do EVERY GIFT MORE THAN HIM< ONLY THE ONES HE GIVES ME IF HE DOES GIVE ME MORE THAN ONE! HE DECIDES WHAT TO GIVE!!! Tis will happen BECASUE OF HIM NOT ME!!! He said...becasue HE IS WITH FATHER, pleading Father to give me that STRONG FAITH AND GIFTS...

If the Spirit gives me the gift of healing, I will heal more people than Jesus. Becasue I will have more time than Jesus to do it! And actually it is not me doing it but still HIM, and He has more bodies to do it with!!When Jesus was here, He occupied one person... Now Jesus occupies ALL THE BODIES IN HIS BODY, THAT is why HE CAN DO MORE!!! It is not us doing more...IT IS HIM DOING MORE IN US...USING US!!!

If Jesus gives me the gift of prophecy, ALL the spirits of ALL the prohets are subject to my spirit. Like John the Baptist had the spirit of Elijah... So I will have all the spirits of all the prophets subject to me, me that received the gift FROM GOD!!! Now! If I do not have any gifts, like I have none... Why? Becasue of one thing only... ONE TRUTH ONLY... I HAVE NOT THE SPIRIT OF GOD IN ME!!!

You can argue till Jesus comes again on the clouds... but the Truth is... Jesus MAINTAINS HIS CHURCH HIMSELF. In His church these things aspire EVERY TIME THEY COME TOGETHER.... 1 Cor 14 :26 to 40...How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying. If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God. Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge. If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace. For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted. And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints. Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church. What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only? If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord. But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant. Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues. Let all things be done decently and in order.

You wanted scripture I only used scripture, if you need the verses for any statement, ask I will provide!

A

AnandaHya

Too many think they follow Jesus, but they actually follow the spirit of the Anti-Christ! Like myself! If I claim I have the Holy Spirit in me but I do not have one of HIS gifts to the BIGGER value than Jesus, then I am the spirit of the Anti-Christ!

But me, Cobus, even though I am not a believer...I bet there is a body here on earth that is EXACTLY the same than HE was in the year 1 A.D. I bet that with my life! The only reason I am not part of that body is: I do not have the Spirit of God in me! I believe the moment I am ACCEPTED, completed, sanctified by God... when Jesus hands me to Father God.. without spot or wrinkle or any such thing THEN GOD UNITES ME TO THAT BODY! God makes me ONE WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT!!! Then I recieve my gift to do HIS work. ANYTHING HE WANTS ME TO DO! Now I am not me anymore, I am one with JESUS! JESUS IS ME AND I AM JESUS! In whatever form of Jesus wants me to be!

I am not a child of God but... if only I can change my heart AND BE PATIENT, not putting the sled before the horse...

You wanted scripture I only used scripture, if you need the verses for any statement, ask I will provide!

in your own words you have stated "they actually follow the spirit of the Anti-Christ! Like myself!"

that "I am not a believer" that you want to BE Jesus "I am Jesus" which is a lot like Lucifer claim of wanting to be God most High.

Also you say "I am not a child of God" if you are not a child of God then whose child are you?

I find all those statements deeply disturbing in their demonic nature. ...

I think all God's children should just pray now and allow God's angels to deal with it.

A

Abiding

Cobus this is the second time ive asked you to take your teachings maybe to your friends threads.
You need to sit on your hands under some solid sound teaching for a while. If you would like I can give
you many websites that will surely be rewarding for your soul :)

A

Abiding

Read apostles and prophets part 2 and you will see where the signs and wonders were done and by who
that is being taught we should do also. Read it all. Its a worthy study and should be very important to all Christians.

A

Abiding

Zone, not you!
Its an honor to have your presence :)