Silly question... Hair dye?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Is it okay to dye your hair as a christian woman?

• Yes

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Maybe (add thoughts down below)

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
Aug 12, 2013
Really, it's not that your color is so bright, it's that it is a bold-neon color. Which means it is strong and not faded, which keeps them still looking dark, but with it being neon, it makes that bold color pop in its darkness.
If you were liking the lighter shade, it would be more like pale rose and violet and such, but then you get a faded color but brighter and I don't think they can be neon.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Really, it's not that your color is so bright, it's that it is a bold-neon color. Which means it is strong and not faded, which keeps them still looking dark, but with it being neon, it makes that bold color pop in its darkness.
If you were liking the lighter shade, it would be more like pale rose and violet and such, but then you get a faded color but brighter and I don't think they can be neon.
The vibrancy of the hair dye color never lasts long... but I was speaking in terms of my color preferences in general and not just specific to my hair color ;) I do like darker purples and violets, and lavender, the bluer shades of purple, but have noticed over time that everything has lightened up... Many years ago when I started wearing more purple more often and then all the time (almost thirty years now) it was mostly the darker shades. Lavender and mauve are a great combination. When I was 15 or 16, I was allowed to paint my bedroom any colour I wanted, and that is how I did it, with the ceiling cut on a diagonal and the window sill and door frame the contrasting shade of the wall. Every stick of furniture was painted those two shades of purple as well :)

Lillywolf

Aug 29, 2018
Aug 12, 2013
The vibrancy of the hair dye color never lasts long... but I was speaking in terms of my color preferences in general and not just specific to my hair color ;) I do like darker purples and violets, and lavender, the bluer shades of purple, but have noticed over time that everything has lightened up... Many years ago when I started wearing more purple more often and then all the time (almost thirty years now) it was mostly the darker shades. Lavender and mauve are a great combination. When I was 15 or 16, I was allowed to paint my bedroom any colour I wanted, and that is how I did it, with the ceiling cut on a diagonal and the window sill and door frame the contrasting shade of the wall. Every stick of furniture was painted those two shades of purple as well :)
Yeah, I was talking about your general favorite color, magenta. heh

Aug 12, 2013
Aug 12, 2013
Did your favorite colors change over the years?
At the youngest time, I was about 4 and my favorite color was yellow then pink. heh. People called me girly but I mostly hung out with girls. When someone asked me to draw a picture of my favorite color, I drew a banana. Afterwards, my favorite was red, then navy blue, now purple-blue.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
In my profession, I deal with colors in light rays, as opposed to pigments, so it is quite different... magenta in light rays is very pink looking. I do like dusty rose as a color to wear, and fuchsia… but not often enough to have much of them in my wardrobe LOL.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Did your favorite colors change over the years?
At the youngest time, I was about 4 and my favorite color was yellow then pink. heh. People called me girly but I mostly hung out with girls. When someone asked me to draw a picture of my favorite color, I drew a banana. Afterwards, my favorite was red, then navy blue, now purple-blue.
I used to wear a lot of teal green, and also a muted auburn color. Even beige and black LOL. Yellow and/or red did not suit, unless it was an orangey red :giggle: Blue sometimes, and blue jeans were pretty much a daily wear, though I have not worn blue jeans for many years, now :)

Lillywolf

Aug 29, 2018
I miss my purple room... :'(
There are non-toxic wall or room paints out now.(Link)
I love blue so when I was a few years younger than now I painted my room different hues of blue. The ceiling a light blue because it looks like the sky and it makes even a small room seem bigger. And the walls different shades as well. Dark on one wall, medium on another, electric on the one near my closet.
Then I got this beige gray color area rug that was really soft with long pile. Today I use the My Pillow and My Mattress topper on my bed, which weren't available back then. Had they been I'd have slept even better. But when I awoke to a room of my favorite colors, with mini-blinds and room darkening light color drapes, I was ready to meet the day.

I think if you sleep in a place you absolutely love and that reflects your personal spirit, tastes, it makes for a sanctuary any time of day.
Potted plants are natural air filters. So I had a bunch of potted plants set up on different levels, like stacked, in one corner of my room where two windows met together and gave them the most light. If I could have worked from home..... :D

Aug 12, 2013
I used to wear a lot of teal green, and also a muted auburn color. Even beige and black LOL. Yellow and/or red did not suit, unless it was an orangey red :giggle: Blue sometimes, and blue jeans were pretty much a daily wear, though I have not worn blue jeans for many years, now :)
I don't wear my favorite color heh I can't stand the feeling of blue jeans much. I can now more than I could as a kid though, but it is so rough and doesn't keep you warm in the winter. I see girls wear them now much more than boys, when it used to be girls always wore skirts and dresses and guys wore jeans more.

M

Miri

I’m 50.

Underneath it’s completely white now.

So I dye it purpley with a blond streak to one side!
It’s either that or look like an old age pensioner!
I’m too young to go for the pensioner lol just yet. Lol

7E78C596-2BA1-4AEB-B6FC-ABD5ADBB63C5.jpeg

Aug 12, 2013
I’m 50.

Underneath it’s completely white now.

So I dye it purpley with a blond streak to one side!
It’s either that or look like an old age pensioner!
I’m too young to go for the pensioner lol just yet. Lol

View attachment 191387
How do i say this? If your goal is to hide the looks of your age, that's not a better thing you could be doing with your hair.

I'd say you should take pride in your old age features. Sure, being younger, sexy, healthier and more physically attractive is a wonderful thing, but the older you get can be a sign you are blessed and lived through many experiences the younger haven't. Your hair could be a wonderful symbol instead of hiding it. It would make me feel like "I may be ugly, but I've come this far, that I know God has been taking care of me for many decades. I'm 50, to not be killed by all the chances there could be in this world today, that is a blessing, to still be here to be with my grandchildren and family and friends all these years is a blessing. I've learned a lot that I can teach other younger people so they will be prepared to live up to my age."

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Hi guys, I've never posted a thread before so please be kind!

I'm 18 and since I was around 14 I've been dying my hair. And no, not just simple natural colours like brown, black and blonde - CRAZY colours. I've been pink, purple, blue, and a choppy mix of all three of those. I just want to know - is there a biblical perspective to say this isn't right? I no longer want to do it if I am not permitted to by God.
I have not read anywhere in the Bible where hair colouring was declared a sin..

From a personal perspective i avoid woman with crazy hair colours because it is usually a warning sign that the woman is crazy, :LOL:

So don't be concerned as far as God goes with your hair colouring..

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
In my profession, I deal with colors in light rays, as opposed to pigments, so it is quite different... magenta in light rays is very pink looking. I do like dusty rose as a color to wear, and fuchsia… but not often enough to have much of them in my wardrobe LOL.
it's weird how there are two different sets of primary color groups for pigment & for light, isn't it?
wonder why God made the universe this way? dust has one basis of color, and light, another

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Hi guys, I've never posted a thread before so please be kind!

I'm 18 and since I was around 14 I've been dying my hair. And no, not just simple natural colours like brown, black and blonde - CRAZY colours. I've been pink, purple, blue, and a choppy mix of all three of those. I just want to know - is there a biblical perspective to say this isn't right? I no longer want to do it if I am not permitted to by God.
Back in the early to mid 80's, Dale Bozzio from the band "Missing Persons" was well known for dying her hair multiple colors and it seemed pretty radical back then.

In the lyrics of one of her songs "Words" she says, "I think I'll dye my hair blue." Today, it seems much more common to dye your hair different colors. I deliver mail to three different hair salons and it's common for me to see teenagers and young ladies with pink, purple, bright red, green or blue hair and sometimes a mixture of multiple colors.

Siegmeyer

Jul 7, 2021
I dyed my hair four years ago. I was a Christian then. My parents did not forbid me to do this, they encouraged my decisions. They knew it was just a teenager's wish. So, as long as you feel comfortable with yourself and follow God's commandments, the decision to dye your hair does not mean that he will love you less. But, from the perspective of the fact that hair dye damages its elasticity and shine, I would not recommend. Using even a hair dryer or hair straightener can significantly damage your hair. So when you decide to buy such a device, read carefully the recommendations of others. For example on https://hairdryerfair.com/ there are a lot of articles about them.

TenderHeart

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
I’ve learned to embrace my beautiful hair the way God created it, greys and all.

I used to dye my hair every single color under the sun, nothing against it for other people. But I’ve decided to take a more modest road now that I’m in my 40s.

I have a full sleeve tattoo, I have lots of tattoos I got before I was saved by Jesus Christ. It would take way too much effort to remove them. At least they are all tasteful and of nature things that God has created, flowers, stars, butterflies things like that done in the American traditional style. Because I’m so colorful on my skin, I don’t need to add to my hair anymore LOL

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
I’ve learned to embrace my beautiful hair the way God created it, greys and all.

I used to dye my hair every single color under the sun, nothing against it for other people. But I’ve decided to take a more modest road now that I’m in my 40s.

I have a full sleeve tattoo, I have lots of tattoos I got before I was saved by Jesus Christ. It would take way too much effort to remove them. At least they are all tasteful and of nature things that God has created, flowers, stars, butterflies things like that done in the American traditional style. Because I’m so colorful on my skin, I don’t need to add to my hair anymore LOL
Why would you want to remove your tats?

EnglishChick

Apr 20, 2021
England UK
In situations like this, we have to understand people didn't really have a lot of materials and stuff we have and didn't do a lot of things we do or can do. I don't think anyone dyed their hair back then in scripture, so you won't find anything like a commandment calling hair dying a sin. People cannot find answers for a lot of things, like video games, processed foods, television, cell phones, masturbation, etc. This is where we need understand why is sin a sin. We can simply take a look at all other verses and things in life that are a sin and why it is obvious when something new in the world comes through, why it would be a sin.

Remember the 80s and such with metal being a new thing and almost every pastor and preacher was going "That music is of the devil!" They were believing only pianos and such were the only godly instruments heh. Not all them but many. Later on, over just a few years we found Christian lyrics and Christians playing that genre with that sound but using it differently from their hearts. Those people were too quick to judge without understanding why that rock or metal would be a sin. It's music in general, it can be used for sin but also for God in another way.

some of the questions you may want to ask sometimes is:
1. does my dyed hair glorify God or make him look bad?
2. Am I doing this to my hair out of hate, revenge, jealousy, envying others, etc?
3. Did I steal this hair dye?
4. Am I using this on my hair to attract men/women to have sex with me before marriage?

Questions like that, and you could ask more, will let you know when your hair dye can become a sin.
Good points.