Slavery and the Law of Moses

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 12, 2019
I could be wrong but wasn't slavery in Egypt a result of Pharoe's fear that the Israelites were becoming too many and that they would side with Egypt's enemies against the state. Also if I recall Israel sold all they had and even themselves into slavery due to the drought in the land. Just a couple thoughts. Servanthood may not have been slavery due to it being a contract such as Jacob. He agreed to work for Rachel 7 years. thanks D

oldhermit

Jul 28, 2012
Alabama
You are correct about Israel and Egypt. Voluntary servitude was not slavery. In fact, Israel was not permitted to keep another Hebrew as a slave. All slaves were gotten from other nations either by purchase or by conquest. The entire city of Gibeon became forced labor slaves to Israel.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
The entire city of Gibeon became forced labor slaves to Israel.
blessed in it, i would say. instead of being destroyed, they became servants in the house of God, to take care of the wood and the water for the altar of the temple ((Joshua 9:27)). a good trade!

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
blessed in it, i would say. instead of being destroyed, they became servants in the house of God, to take care of the wood and the water for the altar of the temple ((Joshua 9:27)). a good trade!
Yea I look at it as blessing rather than curse.
Even Joseph when he was sold in to bondage to egypt, he said what you meant for evil, God turned it for good. In servitude you can learn to serve God, he became second only to Pharoah and in charge of the whole nation.
Even while Daniel was captive in Babylon, under Babylonian masters he was really free because he still served God. Even when he was thrown in the lions den. Whe we serve God, we are servants of righteousness, when we serve .satan, we are servants of sin.

So it depends whos yoke you want to be under. jesus yoke, which is easy and light, or satans yoke, which is heavy and burdensome.

Mar 12, 2019
The people drawing wood and water gave me a different take. I had a pastor once who said that they deceived Israel because Joshua did not pray to God about the people and who they were. It is easy for deceiving someone if they do not go to God for wisdom on who to trust. The Gibiens (I may have misspelled that) intention was to deceive in ourder to align themselves with Israel. Fear is a great motivator. It also led to some issues related to intermarrying later on in the OT. God makes leaders but leaders need to seek God's will. Just a thought D

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I very much dispute that Israel FORCED labour on people like the egyptians did. They were very clear what was required of a bondservant or bondmaid. And to love them as they loved themselves..bonus, if a bondmaid or bondservant loves their master, they are yours for life and even can become part of the family. If you treat them cruelly, they are going to run away, and then you wont have any servants at all.

It was in their interests to treat a bondmaid or bondservant with respect, and even their children for example Ishmael was STILL blessed by God even though he couldnt inherit abrahams firstborn blessing as an heir. And then wasnt it Isaac, if he was not going to have chikdren, would have passed on his inheritance to elizier his servant.

What about Ruth? She a foreigner, went to work for Boaz gleaning in the fields. BOaz could have made her his maidservant as she was a foreigner. Instead he loved her so much he was prepared to marry her, and he did.