Smoking

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
People judge alcoholism a greater sin because the damages of alcoholism are more obvious and in most cases more tragic. But yes, both glutonny and alcoholism are sins.
Well, I think it might be closer to the truth that alcoholism is considered worse because it is not something most of us might get hooked on.

Anything that doesn't directly bother me, or that I don't struggle with, I of course, will look down upon in others.
 
Well, I think it might be closer to the truth that alcoholism is considered worse because it is not something most of us might get hooked on.

Anything that doesn't directly bother me, or that I don't struggle with, I of course, will look down upon in others.

Or if you are a direct victim of an alcoholic father (not my case, don't worry) you do see differently glutonny and alcoholism. If your beloved died because he/she was hit by a drunk driver (not my case, don't worry) you will also see differently. If the father of your friend is an alcoholic and hits on you when your twelve years old (my case but I was not rape, thank God!), again, you tend to classify alcoholism a greater sin than overeating at McDonald's.
 
If you smoke, there is a good chance you will die prematurely to cancer, emphysema, heart disease, and maybe several other things. That is suicide. Jesus told us not to kill.

I smoked heavily for twelve years. I finally quit. Make your mind up never to smoke again. It took me about six weeks to get over the habit.
 
If you smoke, there is a good chance you will die prematurely to cancer, emphysema, heart disease, and maybe several other things. That is suicide. Jesus told us not to kill.

I smoked heavily for twelve years. I finally quit. Make your mind up never to smoke again. It took me about six weeks to get over the habit.

Willie T said:
If you EAT MOST THINGS IN THE AMERICAN DIET, there is a good chance you will die prematurely to cancer, emphysema, heart disease, and maybe several other things. That is suicide. Jesus told us not to kill.
............
 
That´s another addiction!

The Bible, as it is, says nothing about it, except someting many persons have mentioned elsewhere as "proper" to that subject you mentioned here:

"1Co 3:16 Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you? 1Co 3:17 If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him. For God's temple is holy, and you are that temple. "

That´s honesty and, as I seen my father dying with cancer, as I saw my grandmother too weak to die, as a consequence of those habits of a smoker (+ other health complications) she had when she was younger, I never smoked (as sipping it to my lungs) and the more close to it I was, it was when one of my aunts organized come-as-you-are hippie parties at my mother´s, when she was out to work several nights or when I shared time or any room with my dad.
 
Willie-T said:
Well, I think it might be closer to the truth that alcoholism is considered worse because it is not something most of us might get hooked on.

Anything that doesn't directly bother me, or that I don't struggle with, I of course, will look down upon in others.

Or if you are a direct victim of an alcoholic father (not my case, don't worry) you do see differently glutonny and alcoholism. If your beloved died because he/she was hit by a drunk driver (not my case, don't worry) you will also see differently. If the father of your friend is an alcoholic and hits on you when your twelve years old (my case but I was not rape, thank God!), again, you tend to classify alcoholism a greater sin than overeating at McDonald's.
That is what my last sentence was about........ "directly" impacting you.
 
I over eat sometimes too .. and I would rather have that habit than smoking.

Overeating depends from person to person, maybe what is overeating for you is a normal meal for me. Each person knows when he/she overeats. Overeating becomes a sin not when you are hungry and eat more, but when you only think about food, you eat out of frustration, you eat to forget problems, to de-stress. And why is overeating a sin? because it is a consequence of a deeper sin which has its origin in your mind and heart. The root problem of bulimic people (or other people with eating disorder) is a mental problem, not a physical one.
 
  • Like
Reactions: SoulWeaver
I don't smoke and never will. However, it is not a sin, but I believe it becomes an idol when having a smoke comes before God and then it becomes a sin. I will pray that you find an answer and able to kick this habit out the door and down the road.
 
That is what my last sentence was about........ "directly" impacting you.

You said that anything that doesn't directly bother me makes me look down upon others and I don't agree with it and am not ok with it. I don't look down upon people and neither do people who classify alcoholism a greater sin than gluttony don't look down on alcoholic people. Alcoholism is a disease that destroys in first place the life of the alcoholic person and than of the ones surrounding him. Ask a former alcoholic and a former glutton and see who has more regrets, who has lost his job, his wife, himself, his life etc. because of the addiction.
 
Lost my brother to alcoholism in 2004 at the young age of 43. I miss him sooooo much. I grew up with my father always drinking. My husband is also an alcoholic .. and although he is much better than he used to be and cut wayyyyyy down on the drinking, the times that he does drink consists of mentally abusing me. Not cool.
 
I was a light smoker for a while. I never really got addicted so maybe I wasn't doing it right. I know it's hard to quit and I'll pray for you.
 
I did smoke and drink occasionally at my early twenties. But never got addicted. I don't do it again for years now. So I never felt how hard it is to try quitting. But a friend of mine was quite a smoker also. He stopped by chewing gums and keeping himself busy so he would forget taking the cigarettes. Perhaps that would help :)
Good luck Roxxy..
 
Lost my brother to alcoholism in 2004 at the young age of 43. I miss him sooooo much. I grew up with my father always drinking. My husband is also an alcoholic .. and although he is much better than he used to be and cut wayyyyyy down on the drinking, the times that he does drink consists of mentally abusing me. Not cool.


I'm not sure if you have Alanon in Canada but if you do I'd consider attending. It's a support group for loved ones of drug or alcohol addicts. My brother in law is an alcoholic , he's sober now but my Sister got a lot of support at those meetings.
 
I'm not sure if you have Alanon in Canada but if you do I'd consider attending. It's a support group for loved ones of drug or alcohol addicts. My brother in law is an alcoholic , he's sober now but my Sister got a lot of support at those meetings.

Yes we have them here, thank you!! :)
 
You're welcome Roxy, I read your prayer request earlier, I'm praying for you and your Husband. God Bless.
 
Lost my brother to alcoholism in 2004 at the young age of 43. I miss him sooooo much. I grew up with my father always drinking. My husband is also an alcoholic .. and although he is much better than he used to be and cut wayyyyyy down on the drinking, the times that he does drink consists of mentally abusing me. Not cool.

I am very sorry to hear that. I gave like because I understand what you mean not because I "like" the situation.