Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. Col 2:16
If you read in context, Shaul is telling the believers to not let people judge them because THEY ARE observing God's commandments, not the other way around. Back up to verse 8 and dig out the context.
Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
Colossians 2:8 (KJV)
God's commandments are not "the philosophy of men", and "vain deceit" or "the rudiments of the world"
but rather be like Christ, "after Christ", meaning to obey the Father's commandments, just like He did!!!!
is it a contest? is the law of Moses opposed to salvation by the Messiah? No, God forbid. They go together. Why would you want a King, but then not want to do what the King tells you to do?
Nobody is judging you. And be careful you are not judging others who understand that Christ is our rest.
If that works for you, fine. That you choose to enjoy your Sabbath Rest only one day of the week is certainly your choice (Rom 14). The problem comes in when you try to say everyone has to do it your way. I am enjoying my Sabbath Rest ‘today’. And, God willing, when tomorrow becomes for me ‘today’, I will be enjoying my Sabbath Rest then as well. MY Sabbath Rest is in Christ Jesus, and I rest in Him every ‘today’. (ref; Hebrews)
So you believe our rest is only for the sweet by and by? That we cannot enter into it "today"?
Yes moment to moment, by and by
Has not Jesus come? Is He not the reality to which those things were only a shadow of??
Sounds like you're judging the liberty that we have in Christ.
No, the rest that was accomplished as the lamb of God slain within the first six days god did work is the same rest we enter into today just as it was for those who he moved out of Egypt.
It anticipates the rest we will receive when we do receive our promised new incorruptible bodies. Then the tears will be dried up and the things of this world that disturb our eternal rest will not be remembered or ever come to our mind ever again. The key is to mix faith (the unseen) in a living hope of our new bodies.
Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it. For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although "the works" were finished from the foundation of the world. Heb 4:1
Yes he has come and indwells all believers reigning with them on earth as a shadow of thing yet to come. The marriage supper and chaste virgins in their new incorruptible bodies as the bride of Christ, our husband .
So the lamb was slain because of our sin, which gives us freedom to sin all we want? how does that work?
It's edifying to understand what the purpose of the 4th commandment was.
Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it [is] a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that [ye] may know that I [am] the LORD that doth sanctify you. Exodus 31:13
Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I [am] the LORD that sanctify them. Ezekiel 20:12
Resting in the fact that it is the lord who sanctifies us, and not our own works of self-righteousness, fulfills the righteousness of that law.
Ah the good old sabbath debate. before we all go at each others throats I want to know what the sabbath means to you all personally forget the keeping the fourth commandment debate for a second and let us consider what the meaning of the sabbath is.
For me the sabbath is rest it is to honor God to it is to relish simply being with him, I sincerely ask everyone to express what the the sabbath is to them before we go any further into this debate.
its not a licence so that we can sin but a law that shows our sin is covered by His work of faith. Sinning all we want is not a part of that law.
Do you think your jesus broke the 4th commandment? If he did, then you better get another savior.
That is exactly what the adversary wants you to do. We were duped. It is time to come out of it. He tricked us all. Sunday worship, Easter, Christmas, eating pork,... rather than the Holy Days that God calls His, Leviticus 23, and we threw his dietary laws in the trash. Yes, it hurts our pride, but we were tricked. Come out of it.
The Sabbath was made for man. And God was specific, very specific, about which day it is. I wonder why someone would try to change the day? Why would someone seek to change times and laws?
I see "today" as the present.
There is a reason I asked what I did, it wasn't to justify what the sabbath means to us personally. I have seen this debate happen many many times in the bdf and it always ends up in a blood bath it's never good. It's always a fiery debate always two sides arguing and I wanted to try a different route by actually discussing the sabbath actually finding the true meaning of the sabbath and why the sabbath was kept instead of senseless arguing about keeping it or not and pointing our fingers at each other.I think this is part of the problem Blain. We are resorting to our own philosophy, and how we feel, and what our pastor thinks, etc... It does not matter what I think. It matter what YHVH thinks, and what He has told us to do.