"Christians" who don't want to obey commandments won't be persecuted. The world will love them.
I think you aren't understanding how some see it...I believe I understand how you are seeing it but that you aren't completely understanding how others see it. Or just me, for that matter. I'll just talk about how I see it.
We know that the law is spirit because God is Spirit.
And we know that it is the spirit that avails a man, not the letter.
And we know why this is - because a man can keep the letter easily enough. It's pretty clear - what not to eat or wear, how to prepare foods, when to eat and not eat, etc. But it is quite possible to keep the letter and for God to be very displeased with you because we know the outside of the cup can be clean and shiny looking while inside is filth.
Following the law covers the outside. You could be obeying the law outwardly by never murdering a man while inside you break it all the time with angers and resentments. And you could THINK you are obeying that law when all the while you are disobeying it.
Jesus says, if the inside of the cup is clean, the outside just will be as well. But the reverse is not necessarily true.
So I take this to heart. I believe and agree with what He tells me about the law, in spirit and truth. And so I confess my murders and rely on His Spirit to change this in me. The world would have me believe I am not a murderer, but I believe Jesus instead of the world. When He says that it is what comes from inside me that defiles me, I believe Him. I see it is true.
I, like David, want to understand the law in spirit because it is the spirit that avails me, not the letter.
A man cannot murder outwardly unless he has already done so inwardly. But the reverse is not true. He can keep from murdering outwardly but be murdering away in his heart. This is why the Holy Spirit always gets me to see the spirit, so I will not be deceived that I am obeying when I'm not, and also because He knows if I don't murder inwardly, then the outside won't either.
So I don't know if that helps you to understand me better as to why He leads me to inward obedience, but He is very wise and knows what He is doing in how He leads and teaches me!