Sobriety

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 19, 2009
Should Christians always be sober, or is it okay to be intoxicated once in a while?

Dec 14, 2009
In saying that, there were times were getting drunk was prescribed for grief.

Proverbs 31:6 Give strong drink to them that are sad, and wine to them that are grieved in mind;

Feb 11, 2012
Yes, God's word says it all: Take heed to it!

Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are clearly revealed, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lustfulness,
Gal 5:20 idolatry, sorcery, hatreds, fightings, jealousies, angers, rivalries, divisions, heresies,
Gal 5:21 envyings, murders, drunkennesses, revelings, and things like these; of which I tell you before, as I also said before, that they who do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Two proverbs:

Pro 20:1 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

Pro 31:6 Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
I do not drink.

Iv'e done plenty wrongs without and plenty wrongs with.

I see no good comes of a drink and do not like mind altering substances.

Some people enjoy a glass or two and feel no difference... some can be classed "drunk" by the same amount.

The individual will know for themselves.

Peace and Blessings in the name of Yahvah God and Yahshua the Messiah.

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
1 Thess 5:22- "Abstain from all appearance of evil."
1 Peter 5:8- "Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:" You can't be vigilant when drunk, so the devil will use this as an opportunity to attack.

Dec 14, 2009
Well, I have been drunk. yet been very nice, polite, if a little giggly, and generally nothing malicious, insulting or depraved.

Soberness of mind and faith is different from the soberness of not being drunk in the physical sense.

But yes I still do agree that drinking too much isn't really benificial or healthy - spiritually or physically.

Though it can sure make things a lot funnier.

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
Alcohol is a demon in a bottle. It kills and destroys. It pollutes the temple of Christ.

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
If you can drink in moderation and not get drunk then I don't see a problem with it. I mean if wine was such an evil, Jesus probably wouldn't have been turning water into it. Also just control yourself and know your limits. Some people can and some can't.

Dec 19, 2009
I believe that insobriety is a sin. I think there might be situations where a person is under a lot of stress and a little wine or beer is okay, but I think it is best to drink as little as possible.

Jul 12, 2012
Who wants another hangover anyway?
That was enough of a deterrent for me lol.
Not to mention the two piles of red stuff I found on the porch and didn't remember.
Unpleasantry at it's best.
Plenty of deterrence built right into the bottle if you ask me.
And guess what, cheap beer tastes like cow manure. I know because I was raised a dairy farmer and sometimes you end up with stuff splattering right into your mouth while you work. :D

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
2Ti 4:5 But be thou sober in all things, suffer hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfil thy ministry.

So all know the difference, being sober in this teaching actually means to watch or guard oneself from neglecting what follows in the same line......

As regarding strong drink, anyone may drink strong drink, though I myself do not. It is bad only if drink controls the individual. Anything that takes command of a person makes that person a servant of it, so let us aspire to being under the command of God always and shun dependencies on anything of this age, amen.

PopClick

Aug 12, 2011
I believe that insobriety is a sin. I think there might be situations where a person is under a lot of stress and a little wine or beer is okay, but I think it is best to drink as little as possible.
Stressful situations are the very time when I purposefully do not drink. I don't want to run to anything temporary to dull whatever is stressing me out. I've gone the "temporary" route in the past, and I don't want to go back to it.

And yes, I do think it is a sin to get drunk.

O

OFM

ALLWAYS SOBER,i DRINK A FEW BEERS AND GLASSES OF WINE I HAVE NEVER BEEN DRUNK OR UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF the Beverage amen.do what Jesus says 4 you to do in your heart in His Word n Prayerfully Prayer AllWays on this and all Spiritual Realms in ur life amen allways amen..

Katy-follower

Jun 25, 2011
I occasionally drink red wine. I don't think drinking is an issue unless your intention is to get drunk. Why would a person need to get drunk in the first place - for more confidence or to feel better? We're supposed to depend on God, not anything else.

Also, if you think about it, how can a person be a good witness if they're not sober? We can't put on the full armor of God unless we're sober. The Helmet of Salvation, for example, which protects our heads (our minds) from attacks by the enemy.

Just my thoughts...

G

greatblue

I took a full sobriety approach abstaining from all alcohol and continued in that manner for seven years. Then, in a holiday return to my home country I decided, "I'm not in bondage, yes, I will have a beer," as I caught up with friends and family I hadn't seen for quite a while. This was a let down in my conviction and I paid the price for it, heavily. I then proceeded, on separated occasions, to have drinks over the next five years. When I say I paid the price, I don't mean because I was getting drunk, but because I let go of something that I had done, not for me, but for God. And it began a bit-by-bit change of a few other things like "some" secular music, but that's another thread. Anyway, I rationalized a reason to drink again for "self" and I forgot that I originally chose not to drink for God.

So, about two years ago I realized that I had made a grave error in surrendering over to self. I shut that door and am now affirmed that at 36 years old I will not have alcohol, as I fast always. I credit this to just one small component of the narrow road.

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
I have been sober for 6 yrs. I still want to drink.

M

Moe

Should Christians always be sober, or is it okay to be intoxicated once in a while?

Yes, at all times, God teaches us and common sense also teaches us that being intoxicated is wrong.