Social Distancing

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
When I first heard the term social distancing, all I could think about was cell phones had finally taken over any perception of sanity left in the world. Everywhere I go, I see people walking together, but they are not aware of each other. When I go to a restaurant, couples have their face buried in a phone, completely unaware of they are in the same room. People are social distancing so much they are now unable to speak clearly.

My 15 year old grandson is the perfect example. Every time I see him he on his cellphone watching U-tube videos, and talking to his friends with his thumbs. Yesterday evening, he had baked a casserole and wanted me to come over and eat with them. After three times of trying to understand what he was saying to me, I was still trying to understand what he wanted. I finally got his eyes off his cell phone long enough for him to speak clearly enough for me to understand him.

Social distancing is ruining our children.

My 19 year old granddaughter, came over to tell us that she was engaged. She met her husband to be on a game site that their families have been playing for several years. She has never communicated with him outside the game site, or Skype. I'm waiting for her to tell me that they are getting married online.

Am I crazy, or is this the future of relationships? Social distancing is ruining our young adults.

What do you think?

Silverwings

Jul 27, 2016
Hey,i think you should be counting your blessings that he is 15 and baked a casserole.......................so many would not even know how to begin or have an inclination to do so.

K

kaylagrl

When I first heard the term social distancing, all I could think about was cell phones had finally taken over any perception of sanity left in the world. Everywhere I go, I see people walking together, but they are not aware of each other. When I go to a restaurant, couples have their face buried in a phone, completely unaware of they are in the same room. People are social distancing so much they are now unable to speak clearly.

My 15 year old grandson is the perfect example. Every time I see him he on his cellphone watching U-tube videos, and talking to his friends with his thumbs. Yesterday evening, he had baked a casserole and wanted me to come over and eat with them. After three times of trying to understand what he was saying to me, I was still trying to understand what he wanted. I finally got his eyes off his cell phone long enough for him to speak clearly enough for me to understand him.

My 19 year old granddaughter, came over to tell us that she was engaged. She met her husband to be on a game site that their families have been playing for several years. She has never communicated with him outside the game site, or Skype. I'm waiting for her to tell me that they are getting married online.

Am I crazy, or is this the future of relationships? Social distancing is ruining our young adults.
What do you think?

Well Im a tad biased on this one. I met my husband online. Been married 5yrs last fall, been together 10. We took it slow, were engaged longer than usual, but we're happy as clams. Attend our local church. He loves my nephews as much as I do and they adore him. My mother sees him as a son. So I guess I'd say, don't knock it till you try it.lol

All that being said, I do think that there is a time to put down the phones and devices and be with family and friends. My nephews came up once and they brought their video games. Wasn't long before they were fighting over it. My sister said that was what they do all day, play video games. So I said "well, not here"!! We have taken those kids everywhere. Museums, state fair,car shows, every park within a hundred miles, mini golf, sports, a boat tour down the river for an hour. Last summer we took them with my parents to a spot called Red River Gorge. We cooked out on the little grill they had at a park and ate sitting on a picnic bench. The oldest, 15, said "this is 1000 times better food than any restaurant"!! I was stunned! Then we walked up the side of the mountain ( in other news my old ticker still works). They got me a long stick to help me get up the steep path. They called it the "Methuselah" stick. I have literally hundreds of pictures of the boys in nature and various places with their grandparents and my husband and I. The only problem is, every time they come to stay they are expecting to go somewhere special. lol I told them it was about we visited their place again and they said "nah, there's nothing to do where we live". I make sure they have a good time when they visit. They are so tired by the time they get home the fall in to bed. I don't know how long my old behind can keep up with them, but I'm sure gonna try. It takes some work, but it sure is worth it.

S

Susanna

Well Im a tad biased on this one. I met my husband online. Been married 5yrs last fall, been together 10. We took it slow, were engaged longer than usual, but we're happy as clams. Attend our local church. He loves my nephews as much as I do and they adore him. My mother sees him as a son. So I guess I'd say, don't knock it till you try it.lol

All that being said, I do think that there is a time to put down the phones and devices and be with family and friends. My nephews came up once and they brought their video games. Wasn't long before they were fighting over it. My sister said that was what they do all day, play video games. So I said "well, not here"!! We have taken those kids everywhere. Museums, state fair,car shows, every park within a hundred miles, mini golf, sports, a boat tour down the river for an hour. Last summer we took them with my parents to a spot called Red River Gorge. We cooked out on the little grill they had at a park and ate sitting on a picnic bench. The oldest, 15, said "this is 1000 times better food than any restaurant"!! I was stunned! Then we walked up the side of the mountain ( in other news my old ticker still works). They got me a long stick to help me get up the steep path. They called it the "Methuselah" stick. I have literally hundreds of pictures of the boys in nature and various places with their grandparents and my husband and I. The only problem is, every time they come to stay they are expecting to go somewhere special. lol I told them it was about we visited their place again and they said "nah, there's nothing to do where we live". I make sure they have a good time when they visit. They are so tired by the time they get home the fall in to bed. I don't know how long my old behind can keep up with them, but I'm sure gonna try. It takes some work, but it sure is worth it.
No shotgun wedding?😂.

In my prime, heydays or whatever it’s called when you’re just too crazy for your own good, I got the 3M in nine months😂😁🤦‍♀️.

No online stuff back then😂.

S

Susanna

No shotgun wedding?😂.

In my prime, heydays or whatever it’s called when you’re just too crazy for your own good, I got the 3M in nine months😂😁🤦‍♀️.

What I really was trying to say was that online stuff can prevent outcomes that, well...😁🤦‍♀️😜.

Jan 25, 2015
No shotgun wedding?😂.

Hectic :)

Feb 19, 2020
Social distancing has been modus operandi for me since high school. Nothing new and to the social butterflies who now have to go through this , welcome to my world.

Mar 10, 2020
Hey,i think you should be counting your blessings that he is 15 and baked a casserole.......................so many would not even know how to begin or have an inclination to do so.
Casseroles typically go in the oven don't they? ;)

Haha just kidding. I'm almost 30 and cook all the time so I don't count, but I thought it was funny

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I worked in retirement villages and saw elderly people stuck on their phones too, so it isnt just the young.

I had a boss who instead of doing any work would yabber away on his phone all the time. He would have a spade in his hand and talking on the phone at the same time.

K

kaylagrl

No shotgun wedding?😂.

Nope, but we had two weddings. At the time I was in the middle of becoming a citizen. For some odd reason my state said it wouldn't give me a marriage license. We had to drive to TN to get married. So my sister came as a witness and my two nephews "stood" for us. We exchanged a couple old rings we had, did our vows outside the courthouse under a tree with a pastor friend. Then a couple weeks later got married in our church with family and friends and the whole nine. So I said to hubby "we're double married buddy, you're not goin' anywhere!!"

S

Susanna

Nope, but we had two weddings. At the time I was in the middle of becoming a citizen. For some odd reason my state said it wouldn't give me a marriage license. We had to drive to TN to get married. So my sister came as a witness and my two nephews "stood" for us. We exchanged a couple old rings we had, did our vows outside the courthouse under a tree with a pastor friend. Then a couple weeks later got married in our church with family and friends and the whole nine. So I said to hubby "we're double married buddy, you're not goin' anywhere!!"
Lol, you got him rounded up right there😁. Poor fella didn’t stand a chance.😜

Billyd

May 8, 2014
I met Mama at a community dance. Fell in love with her that evening. Married her three months later. She has been the love of my life for almost sixty years.

I have to admit that the grandchildren's parents met online, but they did at least have a short courtship in person. My son always says that he had to go online to find someone he wasn't related to.

Jun 10, 2019
Social distancing has been modus operandi for me since high school. Nothing new and to the social butterflies who now have to go through this , welcome to my world.
Yea I’ve always been sort of a loner in public, I’m not much on the festivals around here or concerts, not really into eating at fancy restaurants either, about the most socializing I do is when I’m buying something just to be some what politest

S

Susanna

Florida panhandle, or as the rest of the state calls us, LA (Lower Alabama).
Well, I guess we’ve got a lot in common with the kinfolks popping up wherever you go😂.

K

kaylagrl

Lol, you got him rounded up right there😁. Poor fella didn’t stand a chance.😜
Hey, I was 40 something when I married, I wasn't takin' any chances!!!

Lizzy

Jan 18, 2018

What do you think?
I guess it has been a form of social distancing hasn't it? It frustrating. I think that families need to set examples at home. Just saying that the adults need to say enough phones , lets hang out. I have four daughters and 7 grandkids. They know when we're together, they can be on their phones while we're getting dinner ready etc, but dinner means no phone and we play board games and listen to music. We have done this their entire life so they're good to go. I think that if kids see the adult in charge with their face in their phone 24/7 the kids will too.