Some questions

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
F

Footprint

So are you inferring that baptism is necessary for salvation? If so, kindly read and study Acts 10, which also involves Peter. The Gentiles received the Holy Ghost FIRST (salvation) and then they were baptized. The go to Acts 16 and see the same thing.
So are you inferring that baptism is necessary for salvation? If so, kindly read and study Acts 10, which also involves Peter. The Gentiles received the Holy Ghost FIRST (salvation) and then they were baptized. The go to Acts 16 and see the same thing.
I see water baptism in those scriptures.

I see they were in the house and Jesus was preached unto them, water baptism was part of the preaching because they came out of the house and were baptized and went back into the house praising God...

Acts 16:32 And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house.
[33] And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway.
[34] And when he had brought them into his house, he set meat before them, and rejoiced, believing in God with all his house.

Now in Acts chapter ten, Peter commanded them to be baptized...

Acts 10:47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
[48] And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

We can receive the Holy Ghost before or after baptism, but Never before Repentance.

-Thank you.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
How does one "work through their salvation?" Either your saved or not saved.
It is not "work through" but "work out" which corresponds to what Peter said -- grow in grace and in the knowledge of Jesus Christ. Another term is sanctification.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
In 1 Corinthians 15:3 (NIV) it says,

For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,

Is believing that Jesus paid for my sins by dying for them, that He rose from the dead, and that He is Lord enough to be saved? I'm trying to work through my salvation and have assurance I'm saved, please tell me anything else I should believe.

Also, is believing that Jesus paid for my sins by dying for them a sufficient understanding of how Jesus paid for my sins? Is there more to it? Do I need to know exactly how Jesus paid for my sins?
2 Corinthians 5:21 - For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.

In 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, Paul clearly stated - Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received and in which you stand, by which also you are saved, if you hold fast that word which I preached to you—unless you believed in vain. (to believe in vain is to believe without cause or without effect, to no purpose) For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures..

Believing the gospel by trusting in the death, burial and resurrection of Christ as the ALL-sufficient means of our salvation is enough to be saved. Romans 1:16 - For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God unto salvation for everyone who BELIEVES, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. *Don't listen to people who pervert the gospel by "adding" works to it. (Galatians 1:6-9; Romans 4:5-6; Ephesians 2:8,9) *Christ's finished work of redemption is sufficient and complete to save believers. *No supplements needed. (Romans 3:24-28)

1 Corinthians 1:21 - For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who BELIEVE.

May 30, 2019

For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,

Is believing that Jesus paid for my sins by dying for them, that He rose from the dead, and that He is Lord enough to be saved? I'm trying to work through my salvation and have assurance I'm saved, please tell me anything else I should believe.

Also, is believing that Jesus paid for my sins by dying for them a sufficient understanding of how Jesus paid for my sins? Is there more to it? Do I need to know exactly how Jesus paid for my sins?
Your close...keep working it out. Don’t rely on others interpretation. You, the word, and the spirit

Silverwings

Jul 27, 2016
How does one "work through their salvation?" Either your saved or not saved. :eek:

IN GOD THE SON,
bluto
Philippians 2:12 12Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed-not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence-continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling,

Silverwings

Jul 27, 2016
When I first came to the Lord, I developed a hunger for his word, I could not get enough, I was in it constantly, devouring it, praying a lot, and desiring to go to church, I sought out books that could tell me more about this Jesus that I had accepted, I also wanted to witness to anyone who would listen, and God kept bringing people around that I had known in the past for me to witness to, my whole life changed, I no longer had any desire to sin, it did not appeal to me any longer, my children were affected and my marriage too, all became believers because of the change they saw in me, It is now 34 years later, and I have changed very little from those days. Jesus is real and the best decision you will ever make.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012

1Cor 15:1-4 is a good Gospel passage but you might want to fill in the gaps with Romans chapters 1-3.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Hello everyone, I'm a new member and would like to say something about salvation, while having a bit of warmheartedness ... so please forgive my grammar.

We all know they asked the million dollar question in the book of Acts chapter 2...

Acts 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
[38] Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Notice what happened here, at first many were mocking them...

Acts 2:13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.

But after hearing about Jesus they asked, "Men and brethren, what shall we do?"

Note Peter did NOT say, "Well you were unbelieving and mocking, but now you believe and are sincere, therefore you need NOT DO ANYTHING, go in peace because you are now saved."

Peter told them to DO (obey) the gospel of Jesus Christ, which is the Death, Burial, and Resurrection...

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them,
1. Repent --- Death
2. Baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ "for the remission of sins" --- Burial
3. , and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. --- Resurrection

And, this is one of the few times all the apostles were gathered together, not any of them said, "Well there you go again Peter ole boy, they only need to believe, therefore they should all go in peace because they are now saved."

-Thanks again.
Okay, look.......we’re overthinking salvation and the Holy Spirit.

We are Body (5 physical senses), Soul (mind, emotions, and will), and Spirit (God’s deposit of part of Himself in us - it’s the part of us that is constantly pulling us back to God - 5 spiritual senses.)

Salvation:

Body is redeemed (resurrection).

Soul is restored (mind full of knowledge and understanding of God through Bible Study, emotions lined up with God’s and our Will in sync to the Father’s Will).
Roman’s 12 - renew your mind.

Spirit is born again and made alive (plugged back into the Father by the indwelling of the gift of the Holy Spirit- seals us, marks us as belonging to God - His property/possession - awakens our 5 spiritual senses.). So we can see, hear, smell, taste, and touch our Heavenly Father.

ONLY Yeshua/Jesus makes all 3 parts of Salvation possible. 😍👍

P

pottersclay

I don't think that anyone looks for salvation. I believe that the work of the Holy Spirit brings us to that point.
Salvation is still a mystery, not so much as the how, but the why. The heart of man is regenerate not the man.
The gift of God is given to those that ask but first we have to come to the understanding that we need to be born again and that the only way is through Christ. This I believe is the work of the Holy Spirit.
Christianity is not something we try but it is a life we lead. Our faith increases our Christianity. Christianity is the living ministry of Christ's work in us as directed by the Holy Spirit. Jesus did nothing with out the leading of the Spirit. His constant reminder that he only does as the father says shows us the working of the Trinity.
In my opinion if you have come to the realization that you need to be saved, that Jesus is the only one that can save you. That he in fact is the Christ and is all of what scripture points to then welcome to the kingdom.
The work of the father is to believe the son......the work of the son was to secure forgiveness and grace for those that ask....the work of the Holy Spirit to is to bring you to that realization of truth.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
How does one "work through their salvation?" Either your saved or not saved. :eek:

IN GOD THE SON,
bluto
Amen! Either we are saved or not. We “work out” our salvation (Philippians 2:12) in regards to ongoing sanctification, but we don’t work for our salvation in regards to justification. (Romans 4:5-6: 5:1-2)

E

eternally-gratefull

Read ephesians then the romans road. They not only give instruction, But assurance.

bluto

Aug 4, 2016
Amen! Either we are saved or not. We “work out” our salvation (Philippians 2:12) in regards to ongoing sanctification, but we don’t work for our salvation in regards to justification. (Romans 4:5-6: 5:1-2)
Exactly right! Lots of people take Phillipians 2:12 out of context thinking you work out your salvation to get saved or by doing works to be saved. Starting at vs1 and onward the point the Apostle Paul is making that the Philippian belivers (vs2) be of the same mind united in spirit and intent on one purpose.

Vs3, "Do nothin from selfishness of empty conceity but regard each other more important than yourself (vs4) not looking out for your own personal interest but put the interest of others first. Then at vs5 Paul uses Jesus Christ as the ultimate selfless person who (And the next set of words are very important) "Although," (Or in spite of the fact) that He existed and has always existed in the form of God or as God He empitied Himself and taking another form (which was a human being/bond-servant) in the form of a man. So, Jesus Christ already existed as God and took another form which was human on His side and Deity on His Fathers side.

Jumping down to vs12, "So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, "Work out your salvation (which means work out the solution to your problems) with fear and trembling; (Why?) vs13, for (or because) God is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure." You can read for yourself the rest of the verses.

The point is they were being selfish, conceited and only thinkng of themselves. Paul then uses Jesus Christ as the perfect example of thinking of others by putting them first. This should be our attitude in the sanctification process. In fact if you think about it you should already know to put others first after one is saved. After many, many years of being a Christian I still remember the "afterglow." :eek:

IN GOD THE SON,
bluto

CherieR

May 6, 2017
Paul talks quite a bit of salvation so I recommend reading through his letters such as Galatians, Ephesians, Phillipians... etc. The bible as a whole both Old and New Testament speak on salvation a good amount. There are stories in the Old Testament tell of God's faithfulness and trustworthiness. And the Psalms are great too. David he was on the run from Saul who was after his life. David wrote some Psalms during this time. God was faithful to David in all this and did not hand him over to Saul.