Some things about the law that need explaining.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Was the law only given to Israel or did the Lord want the gentiles to listen and accept Him? Did Jesus change the law when He came? Can a Jew ask for forgiveness, as he does every day, when he hasn’t recognized Christ? Does the grace he believes in allow him to be forgiven under the symbolic Christ?
Did the new covenant cancel any guidance the Lord gives us through telling of His law?
The law was to drive to faith.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
A schoolmaster :)

Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified
by faith. But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
Galatians 3:24-25

That would make a good panel :D

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
The post you are responding to was not about the law as "driven to Christ". It is about how the law relates to Israel and gentiles, if there was meant to be a difference. You are evading the issue.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
The post you are responding to was not about the law as "driven to Christ". It is about how the law relates to Israel and gentiles, if there was meant to be a difference. You are evading the issue.
That's the purpose of the law .

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
A schoolmaster :)

Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified
by faith. But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
Galatians 3:24-25

That would make a good panel:D
So you are actually summing up the entire laws of the Lord as "schoolmaster"? Disobeying the law without the saving faith in Christ leads to death, is this a "schoolmaster"? The tides of the ocean are run by the laws of nature that the Lord put in place, was this a "schoolmaster"? The kingdom of God is run by law, is this also a "schoolmaster?".

The schoolmaster were the commandments God gave to Israelites to help them understand and obey the true law. We are given these helps and this understanding through the Holy Spirit, now.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
So you are actually summing up the entire laws of the Lord as "schoolmaster"? Disobeying the law without the saving faith in Christ leads to death, is this a "schoolmaster"? The tides of the ocean are run by the laws of nature that the Lord put in place, was this a "schoolmaster"? The kingdom of God is run by law, is this also a "schoolmaster?".

The schoolmaster were the commandments God gave to Israelites to help them understand and obey the true law. We are given these helps and this understanding through the Holy Spirit, now.
Only if you want to remain in the error of 'Lorship salvation ' ,which is very popular in religion .

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
So you are actually summing up the entire laws of the Lord as "schoolmaster"?
I quoted Scripture; if you disagree with what it said, your problem is not with me :)

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
I quoted Scripture; if you disagree with what it said, your problem is not with me :)
You could quote scripture telling that the Lord created the heavens and earth as an explanation of the gospel, but that truth would not answer the question of what the gospel is. In the same way, your quote of "schoolmaster" did not do anything but quote scripture.

Feb 28, 2016
ROMANS 7:14.
For we know that the Law is Spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

EX. 20:1.
And God SPOKE all these Words...."10 Commandments".
ISA. 2:3.
And many people shall go and say, Come you, and let us go up to the mountain of The LORD,
to The House of The God of Jacob; and He will teach us of His ways, and we will walk in His paths:
for out of Zion shall go forth ((The Law, and The Word)) of The LORD from Jerusalem. 'parallelism' -
MATT. 5:17.
Think not that I am come to destroy the Law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
For verily I say unto you, 'Till heaven and earth 'pass', one jot or one tittle shall in 'no wise pass' from the Law,
till all be fulfilled.
Whosoever therefore shall 'break' one of these 'least' Commandments, and shall teach men so,
he shall be called the 'least' in the Kingdom of Heaven: but whosoever shall do and 'teach' them,
the same shall be called 'great' in the Kingdom of Heaven. (another parallelism from Isaiah, above.)

some may not have an opinion on these things, but for hub and myself, we will with all of our hearts
desire to fulfill the Commandment, 'If you Love ME, keep My Commandments'...

Feb 28, 2016
Blik,

do not your 'ears' hear - what your 'mouth' is speaking?
as it written;
GAL. 3:8.
And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through Faith,
preached before 'the gospel unto Abraham', saying, (In YOU shall ALL nations be blessed).
MATT. 24:14.
And this gospel of the Kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations;
and THEN shall the 'end come'.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
ROMANS 7:14.
For we know that the Law is Spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

EX. 20:1.
And God SPOKE all these Words...."10 Commandments".
ISA. 2:3.
And many people shall go and say, Come you, and let us go up to the mountain of The LORD,
to The House of The God of Jacob; and He will teach us of His ways, and we will walk in His paths:
for out of Zion shall go forth ((The Law, and The Word)) of The LORD from Jerusalem. 'parallelism' -
MATT. 5:17.
Think not that I am come to destroy the Law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
For verily I say unto you, 'Till heaven and earth 'pass', one jot or one tittle shall in 'no wise pass' from the Law,
till all be fulfilled.
Whosoever therefore shall 'break' one of these 'least' Commandments, and shall teach men so,
he shall be called the 'least' in the Kingdom of Heaven: but whosoever shall do and 'teach' them,
the same shall be called 'great' in the Kingdom of Heaven. (another parallelism from Isaiah, above.)

some may not have an opinion on these things, but for hub and myself, we will with all of our hearts
desire to fulfill the Commandment, 'If you Love ME, keep My Commandments'...
So what has that to do with my stating that the law is eternal, and that when the Lord spoke of the law as schoolmaster the Lord was telling us of the commands He gave to school the Israelites into understanding and obeying the law? Do you also think that all laws are only schoolmasters?

Feb 28, 2016
Blik,
Certainly the Law is our 'school-master', a way of teaching us the ways of greater Truths -
but 'teaching/doing' the Law, from the least to the greatest' determines our 'position'
in God's Kingdom...
we are not disputing, we are simply building upon the foundation...

Sep 15, 2019
I was asking you a question to understand where you are coming from. You will be surprised to know how many Christians regard the church as some form of "spiritual Israel or spiritual Jew".

So if you do believe the church is neither of the 2 houses, why do you still think the New Covenant is made with the church when Hebrews 8:8 stated otherwise.

Are you thinking of "another" new covenant that is different from the one in Hebrews 8:8?
Wow ! You got that from Romans 8:8 ? What version are you reading from ? (It doesn’t matter.) Thats slim pickings to build a perspective on.

Jan 12, 2019
Wow ! You got that from Romans 8:8 ? What version are you reading from ? (It doesn’t matter.) Thats slim pickings to build a perspective on.
Hebrews 8:8 is not clear enough to you, who the New Covenant is made with? It repeats Jeremiah, so that is hardly "slim pickings".

Jan 12, 2019
I don't think this "context" you are speaking of makes anything the Lord tells us untrue. God is eternal, and that has no "context.

When the Lord gave the first covenant to us, that covenant was truth of the Lord. The new covenant that improved that truth, by giving the law in our hearts rather than in stone and rules did not change that truth, and listening to the new covenant does not change the truths of the Lord. I did not contradict myself.
Your facts are totally off. The first covenant was not given to us in the first place.

Exodus 24
And he said unto Moses, Come up unto the Lord, thou, and Aaron, Nadab, and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of Israel; and worship ye afar off.

2 And Moses alone shall come near the Lord: but they shall not come nigh; neither shall the people go up with him.

3 And Moses came and told the people all the words of the Lord, and all the judgments: and all the people answered with one voice, and said, All the words which the Lord hath said will we do.

4 And Moses wrote all the words of the Lord, and rose up early in the morning, and builded an altar under the hill, and twelve pillars, according to the twelve tribes of Israel.

5 And he sent young men of the children of Israel, which offered burnt offerings, and sacrificed peace offerings of oxen unto the Lord.

6 And Moses took half of the blood, and put it in basons; and half of the blood he sprinkled on the altar.

7 And he took the book of the covenant, and read in the audience of the people: and they said, All that the Lord hath said will we do, and be obedient.

8 And Moses took the blood, and sprinkled it on the people, and said, Behold the blood of the covenant, which the Lord hath made with you concerning all these words.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Blik,
Certainly the Law is our 'school-master', a way of teaching us the ways of greater Truths -
but 'teaching/doing' the Law, from the least to the greatest' determines our 'position'
in God's Kingdom...
we are not disputing, we are simply building upon the foundation...
Are the laws of nature only a way of teaching us great truths, or are they great truths?

Are the laws governing the kingdom of God ways of teaching, or are they great truths? They are great truths, not a guide to the truth.

Is the law governing our diet, and fleshly circumcision great truths, no they are not. They are like a schoolmaster guiding a child to the great truths. They are obsolete, we have the Holy Spirit as our guide.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Your facts are totally off. The first covenant was not given to us in the first place.

Exodus 24
And he said unto Moses, Come up unto the Lord, thou, and Aaron, Nadab, and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of Israel; and worship ye afar off.

2 And Moses alone shall come near the Lord: but they shall not come nigh; neither shall the people go up with him.

3 And Moses came and told the people all the words of the Lord, and all the judgments: and all the people answered with one voice, and said, All the words which the Lord hath said will we do.

4 And Moses wrote all the words of the Lord, and rose up early in the morning, and builded an altar under the hill, and twelve pillars, according to the twelve tribes of Israel.

5 And he sent young men of the children of Israel, which offered burnt offerings, and sacrificed peace offerings of oxen unto the Lord.

6 And Moses took half of the blood, and put it in basons; and half of the blood he sprinkled on the altar.

7 And he took the book of the covenant, and read in the audience of the people: and they said, All that the Lord hath said will we do, and be obedient.

8 And Moses took the blood, and sprinkled it on the people, and said, Behold the blood of the covenant, which the Lord hath made with you concerning all these words.
Also, the new covenant was given to Israel, not to gentiles. According to you, then, we do not have the new covenant. Christ said He came for the Jews, not the gentiles. Do you, a gentile, accept Christ as YOUR savior?

Jerimiah 31: 31 The days are surely coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
You could quote scripture telling that the Lord created the heavens and earth as an explanation of the gospel, but that truth would not answer the question of what the gospel is. In the same way, your quote of "schoolmaster" did not do anything but quote scripture.
You make little sense. If you do not agree with Scripture, your problem is with God.

Jan 12, 2019
Also, the new covenant was given to Israel, not to gentiles. According to you, then, we do not have the new covenant. Christ said He came for the Jews, not the gentiles. Do you, a gentile, accept Christ as YOUR savior?

Jerimiah 31: 31 The days are surely coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah.
Precisely, the old covenant was made with Israel.

Thus, it makes perfect sense that the new covenant will also be made with them in the future, after Christ returns for them.

The nation will need to acknowledge Christ then, just as they acknowledged God in time past in Exodus 24, before the new covenant can be made with them.

For us in the Body of Christ, we are neither the House of Israel nor the House of Judah, as you quoted Jeremiah 31:31 and Hebrews 8:8.

We are saved, not thru the new covenant, but thru Jesus's death burial and resurrection for our sins (1 Cor 15:1-4)

CS1

May 23, 2012
Was the law only given to Israel or did the Lord want the gentiles to listen and accept Him? Did Jesus change the law when He came? Can a Jew ask for forgiveness, as he does every day, when he hasn’t recognized Christ? Does the grace he believes in allow him to be forgiven under the symbolic Christ?
Did the new covenant cancel any guidance the Lord gives us through telling of His law?
when was it given? to whom was it given to? Why did HE give it? Where is it used today?