Some truth about speaking in tongues, the Holy Ghost, spiritual gifts and 1 Corinthians 14

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 6, 2014
Psalm 140
{To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.} Deliver me, O LORD, from the evil man: preserve me from the violent man;
2Which imagine mischiefs in their heart; continually are they gathered together for war.

3They have sharpened their tongues like a serpent; adders' poison is under their lips. Selah.
4Keep me, O LORD, from the hands of the wicked; preserve me from the violent man; who have purposed to overthrow my goings.

5The proud have hid a snare for me, and cords; they have spread a net by the wayside; they have set gins for me. Selah.
6I said unto the LORD, Thou art my God: hear the voice of my supplications, O LORD.

7O GOD the Lord, the strength of my salvation, thou hast covered my head in the day of battle.
8Grant not, O LORD, the desires of the wicked: further not his wicked device; lest they exalt themselves. Selah.

9As for the head of those that compass me about, let the mischief of their own lips cover them.
10Let burning coals fall upon them: let them be cast into the fire; into deep pits, that they rise not up again.

11Let not an evil speaker be established in the earth: evil shall hunt the violent man to overthrow him.
12I know that the LORD will maintain the cause of the afflicted, and the right of the poor.

13Surely the righteous shall give thanks unto thy name: the upright shall dwell in thy presence.

CS1

May 23, 2012
If you were as astute as you see yourself you would comprehend a correct interpretation to your reference to Mark 16. Alas you only consider yourself to be the authority on bible interpretation.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
if I only used just that One Chapter In Mark you would have something. As I have shown you before, which you had an issue with the full context of one's post. You did not see chapters in Matthew 28, John 1, 14 & 15, Acts 1:8 and 1cor 12- to 14. Please, again your bias overrules you.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
PennEd I know you are an honest man, so why would one post this video or why would the other person? The video if you did not know is used to mock and scoff those who are Spirit-filled and speak in tongues. Why do I say that?
What would you think after reading this?

"Anyone with an ounce of understanding of the structure/function/patterns of language(s) knows incoherent/incomprehensible babble is simply that and not spiritual "

the very same terms used in describing those of us who see the Gifts of the Holy Spirit recorded in 1cor chapter 12 to 14 being for today. FYI what does ANYONE mean to you? Anyone? I think you should have chosen your words more correctly.

"knows incoherent/incomprehensible babble is simply that and not spiritual "

First off, ALL born again believers are Holy Spirit filled. Are you attributing those quotes in red to me? I didn't write those.

We may be on different frequencies here. I don't know enough about Pentecostals to fully comment on their beliefs. It's my understanding that SOME are very closely aligned with Charismatics. I haven't read anything that I would consider heretical from people like you or Kayla.

I AM fully convinced that Charismatic Churches, and I would say ALL that I have seen, are teaching damnable heresies, and NOT operating under the Holy Spirit. The more you look at them, the WORSE they get. I've already listed a batch of them.

That's the reason I've posted these videos. I want to see the SANE Pentecostals denounce this stuff that has tarred their Church. Even YOU think I'm posting about them, and I'm not. But make no mistake, this charismatic movement is exploding not only here, but all over the world. THE Gospel unto Salvation is a back burner issue as compared to the "gifts" and experiences. It is completely out of control, and seeping into even strong Bible believing Churches. THAT'S why we ALL need to be shining the light on it.

I promise, I bear no ill will toward ANYONE, least of all you. I am truly saddened by those led astray by a false gospel and hopes of health and wealth, all while charlatans live like King Solomon. My agenda is to make sure Christ and THE Gospel are the focal point. That's it.

CS1

May 23, 2012
Well finally someone who can explain it clearly and dispassionately.....okay so I agree with most here but this needs to be expanded a bit.

There are two areas to consider...."the gift" and "the language."

Let's deal with the language, is it earthly (temporal) or from the spiritual realm?
That is a fair question. The term tongues aka languages in context to the gift of the Holy Spirit are to be used for the body of Christ, however, the mode or reason for what they are used does seem to be two-fold.

1 Acts chapter 2 the languages are spoken hear were used to attract people to come and see the commotion. The working of the Holy Spirit in the life of the Believer has always been used to show the lost God is alive working in the life of men. Why? so all men and women would see God is real and repent or give glory to God. This is well seen in the Old Testament. Jesus also did works that were used to attract People. The Holy Spirit has not stopped doing so. The preaching of the gospel, the testifying of the saints, and the working of miracles are all being used today. in the same way, the Holy Spirit used languages in Acts to cause attraction, and do exploits of God. The Holy Spirit did this in the Old Testament and we see it in the New and it continues today.

2. the second use also for attraction but one more of giving attention to what the Spirit is about to say that is why an interpretation is needed not a translation. The end result must do the same thing Bring glory to God, edify and comfort.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
if I only used just that One Chapter In Mark you would have something. As I have shown you before, which you had an issue with the full context of one's post. You did not see chapters in Matthew 28, John 1, 14 & 15, Acts 1:8 and 1cor 12- to 14. Please, again your bias overrules you.
The only bias I accept is a bias for the truth. You do not have a valid argument for tongues because there is none. You have no valid argument for praying in tongues because there is none. If your argument is based on faulty interpretation then the entire premise is faulty and must be corrected by a correct interpretation of scripture.

God is true and every man by comparison a liar.

Ro 3:4 God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

CS1

May 23, 2012
First off, ALL born again believers are Holy Spirit filled. Are you attributing those quotes in red to me? I didn't write those.

We may be on different frequencies here. I don't know enough about Pentecostals to fully comment on their beliefs. It's my understanding that SOME are very closely aligned with Charismatics. I haven't read anything that I would consider heretical from people like you or Kayla.

I AM fully convinced that Charismatic Churches, and I would say ALL that I have seen, are teaching damnable heresies, and NOT operating under the Holy Spirit. The more you look at them, the WORSE they get. I've already listed a batch of them.

That's the reason I've posted these videos. I want to see the SANE Pentecostals denounce this stuff that has tarred their Church. Even YOU think I'm posting about them, and I'm not. But make no mistake, this charismatic movement is exploding not only here, but all over the world. THE Gospel unto Salvation is a back burner issue as compared to the "gifts" and experiences. It is completely out of control, and seeping into even strong Bible believing Churches. THAT'S why we ALL need to be shining the light on it.

I promise, I bear no ill will toward ANYONE, least of all you. I am truly saddened by those led astray by a false gospel and hopes of health and wealth, all while charlatans live like King Solomon. My agenda is to make sure Christ and THE Gospel are the focal point. That's it.
again please remember I have said all believers have the Holy Spirit. You too have an issue with clearly quoting what one has said.
Second, if you think Penacosatels and Charismatics have not denounced this foolishness you are not being honest. In this form alone I have personally done so. AS others have too. I have seen point letters by many mainline Pentecostal denominations address the following topics:

1. generational curses
  2. personal prophecies
  3. universalism
  4. fleshly expressions claimed to be of the Holy Spirit

That is just a quick list of the ones I have seen and read. Your personal experience no more makes what I have seen null in void or speaks for all. AND FYI Charismatics are not the only ones who have the Gospel on the back burner. Am I to judge all baptist by what Rick Warren says and others who justify other things the Bible clearly says do not do? That would not be fair would?

CS1

May 23, 2012
The only bias I accept is a bias for the truth. You do not have a valid argument for tongues because there is none. You have no valid argument for praying in tongues because there is none. If your argument is based on faulty interpretation then the entire premise is faulty and must be corrected by a correct interpretation of scripture.

Ro 3:4 God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
in your own mind

CS1

May 23, 2012

For the cause of Christ
Roger
I guess you are a liar too then? I guess you are a judge too then? I will just lay it out for you. You are the type when you cannot get a person to agree with it is (to you) and insult to your understanding. So you have to suggest one is a liar and will be judged by God to cause fear in them. That is what cowards do. Those who can't control a person and have the ego rubbed They try to discredit the person, but they will not have the integrity to say I think you are a liar, nope they use the word of God to cut people. You, sir, are a coward and bully. And you suffer from PDS Pentecostal Derangement Syndrome.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
you do not need to pity me just do not speak to me Ok God bless :)
If you participate in the threads expect to be engaged. You cannot be above the rest and interject into the conversation without rebuttal.

I pity those who have left the paths of truth. I see them as prodigals who need to return to the goodness of God.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

notuptome

May 17, 2013
I guess you are a liar too then? I guess you are a judge too then? I will just lay it out for you. You are the type when you cannot get a person to agree with it is (to you) and insult to your understanding. So you have to suggest one is a liar and will be judged by God to cause fear in them. That is what cowards do. Those who can't control a person and have the ego rubbed They try to discredit the person, but they will not have the integrity to say I think you are a liar, nope they use the word of God to cut people. You, sir, are a coward and bully. And you suffer from PDS Pentecostal Derangement Syndrome.
Here again you fail to grasp the message of the scripture I posted. Always hating on me and missing the message of scripture.

I pity you.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

7seasrekeyed

with you being the judge of who is sane no doubt

I just want to make it clear to everyone I think your explanation holds about as much water as a sieve

you have no respect for any Pentecostal or Charismatic...I am neither and was not brought up in either, so the only reason I say what I do concerning my belief about why you post what you do, is that I want to make it clear you are not duping anyone

if you actually did have all this great concern, you would try to have a conversation rather than post videos we find offensive

I maintain what I posted yesterday

you are not believable

CS1

May 23, 2012
If you participate in the threads expect to be engaged. You cannot be above the rest and interject into the conversation without rebuttal.

I pity those who have left the paths of truth. I see them as prodigals who need to return to the goodness of God.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
I am not expected to engage with you, I have already asked not to. You can rebuttal all you want just don't include me :) and will not include you, let us try the third person how about that?

CS1

May 23, 2012
Here again you fail to grasp the message of the scripture I posted. Always hating on me and missing the message of scripture.

I pity you.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
you need not pity me you cannot curse me or bless me so move on.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
you need not pity me you cannot curse me or bless me so move on.
I would never curse you. I find that though against all the Christ stands for in the life of a Christian. I will pity you because you have so much in Christ that you do not realize.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

notuptome

May 17, 2013
I am not expected to engage with you, I have already asked not to. You can rebuttal all you want just don't include me :) and will not include you, let us try the third person how about that?
As long as these are open forums and the threads are open to all members you cannot have private interpretations. Engage without hate and teach the love of Christ. Return to your first love.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

CS1

May 23, 2012
As long as these are open forums and the threads are open to all members you cannot have private interpretations. Engage without hate and teach the love of Christ. Return to your first love.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
LOL if you think I have a private interpretation or asking one to not speak to another is such.... You need help. What it shows your lack of maturity. I do not care what you think or do I care what you have to say.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
LOL if you think I have a private interpretation or asking one to not speak to another is such.... You need help. What it shows your lack of maturity. I do not care what you think or do I care what you have to say.
Well this is off topic and the thread is not about you or me. You ought to care what I say from the bible.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

U

UnderGrace

That is a fair question. The term tongues aka languages in context to the gift of the Holy Spirit are to be used for the body of Christ, however, the mode or reason for what they are used does seem to be two-fold.

1 Acts chapter 2 the languages are spoken hear were used to attract people to come and see the commotion. The working of the Holy Spirit in the life of the Believer has always been used to show the lost God is alive working in the life of men. Why? so all men and women would see God is real and repent or give glory to God. This is well seen in the Old Testament. Jesus also did works that were used to attract People. The Holy Spirit has not stopped doing so. The preaching of the gospel, the testifying of the saints, and the working of miracles are all being used today. in the same way, the Holy Spirit used languages in Acts to cause attraction, and do exploits of God. The Holy Spirit did this in the Old Testament and we see it in the New and it continues today.

2. the second use also for attraction but one more of giving attention to what the Spirit is about to say that is why an interpretation is needed not a translation. The end result must do the same thing Bring glory to God, edify and comfort.
1. So you are stating the tongues proves the existence of God?

2. Glossa" (glwssa), which is the word used to designate the languages discussed in the letter to the Corinthians, means either the tongue (the physical organ in our mouth) or a language accessible to human understanding such as a foreign language, but not the phenomena such as glossolalia. Therefore the issue at the church of Corinth was the existence of foreign languages within a congregation and how they should be managed, a translator was required otherwise they were to keep silent, this was not the gift in Acts of the Holy Spirit.