Some truth about speaking in tongues, the Holy Ghost, spiritual gifts and 1 Corinthians 14

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 28, 2016
there are a few here who constantly rip him apart

like hyenas in a group encircling a lion

that's the picture that comes to mind

I get pictures in my mind..saves on words and most likely since I am an artist, God and I have that kind of conversation :giggle:

referring to some of what you said, when something goes missing I always ask for help to find it...and I find it!

is that in the Bible though? :unsure:

one time I needed new slippers. found em in the right color on sale same day and I was thankful. I need news ones again though LOL!

LOL Is what in the Bible ? You find things in the last place you look?

Jul 23, 2018
there are a few here who constantly rip him apart

like hyenas in a group encircling a lion

that's the picture that comes to mind

I get pictures in my mind..saves on words and most likely since I am an artist, God and I have that kind of conversation :giggle:

referring to some of what you said, when something goes missing I always ask for help to find it...and I find it!

is that in the Bible though? :unsure:

one time I needed new slippers. found em in the right color on sale same day and I was thankful. I need news ones again though LOL!
Did you draw the husky in your avie?

TLC209

Mar 20, 2019
Merced, CA
Has anyone learned how to pray and be answered? I'm asking because I wonder what a "dog" is in Matthew 7:6, but I don’t want a canned response from some man/woman you may have trusted in the past. I want to know what it means, not what someone THINKS it means. Thanks.

Love in Jesus,
Kelby
New living translation has the word dog replaced with "unholy".

KelbyofGod

Oct 8, 2017
Are you saying that God does not answer your prayers? I would suggest that you get with someone and pray together and learn how to pray. I could say many things here on the forums but you need to have someone in person to join with you in prayer to learn.

God always answers the prayers of the saints of God. If we have unconfessed sin that can and will impede our prayer life.

God desires that we should pray. We are told in Hebrews to come into His presence. We are told in the epistles that the effectual prayer of the righteous availeth much.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
Hi Roger,
Thanks for answering. My apologies on the delay to thank you. I'd been busy. Also I want to thank you for pointing me toward God in a real way. That's the first time I've really noticed you doing that. Not to say you haven't intended such before, but I may have overlooked it due to the idea that we've disagreed on other topics.

Love in Jesus,
Kelby

KelbyofGod

Oct 8, 2017
Not sure why you have coupled dog with how to pray to get answers?

I keep a running conversation with God throughout my day. He answers sometimes that I hear His Voice, and other times in impressions.

But, receiving what we pray for? Again, not sure what you are asking, but He said this to me...” I am a King, and you are my daughter. You can expect to receive the benefits of living in My Kingdom, now”.
My mention of how to get answers has to do with the idea that God knows the real question being asked...even if the person praying doesn't. Some people know how that works, some don't. I was hoping to reduce the number of "I think it means this.." kind of answers, and instead receive the actual, specific answer to the question I was asking (no matter how poorly worded).

I have an understanding of what a swine is, spiritually, but not so much about dogs. So I was wanting to know. I've only read a few replies so far and am happy to say I've gained some understanding. So I'll keep reading. Thanks for replying.

Love in Jesus,
Kelby

KelbyofGod

Oct 8, 2017
Thanks TLC,
I appreciate the reply. That may be a more understandable wording...but it leaves a bigger question of "Who's holy vs. unholy?" . Plus I don't know for sure yet whether it actually is a more accurate word choice. But in honesty, I really do appreciate your comment(s).

Love in Jesus,
Kelby

KelbyofGod

Oct 8, 2017
What I gained so far in reading the replies, and more specifically when I re-read the verses, was something I didn't expect...a shift of emphasis from who the other party is to how I use the good thing given to me. Specifically, when God gives us/me something, be alert to recognize its heightened value, and don't use it as if it is a common thing.

Love in Jesus,
Kelby

KelbyofGod

Oct 8, 2017
Dogs in the NT often refers to Gentiles. Jews saw Gentiles and dogs. Compare Mat 15:26.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
I see the correlation but my question would be... "How would you use that in your daily life?"

Love in Jesus,
Kelby

KelbyofGod

Oct 8, 2017
He frames dogs and swine as a descecration.

I can tell you exactly what is being said.
God gives you revelation.
Your dear brothers come along and muddy it up. You see that they desecrated a precious thing God showed you or did for you or did in you.

Here is Jesus's picture he painted;

You have company over. You cooked him a huge tbone steak. He takes a bite them gives the entire thing to the dog lying under the table.

You feel violated. Offended.

Thats what we and Jesus want to avoid.
Basically like giving a statavarious violin to a gorilla.
Hmmm. How did I miss this posting in my replying? Your answer is the first one that provoked my spirit (in a good way). :)

I'll add this though... From what I understand, the Bro's and Sis's in the Lord (who "turn again and rend you" when you've shared with them a precious thing) are the swine, not the dogs (because they've been washed from such behavior yet chose to return to it... so in that area of their life they are behaving like swine.). So I'm still questioning what dogs represent. So far, I kind of understand them to be unholy, perhaps the unsaved, but it still seems vague. However, I just reread the verse(s) that came to mind and perhaps both the dog and swine analogies refer to errant Christians...:

2 Peter 2:21-22 KJV
For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them. [22] But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

Love in Jesus,
Kelby

TLC209

Mar 20, 2019
Merced, CA
Thanks TLC,
I appreciate the reply. That may be a more understandable wording...but it leaves a bigger question of "Who's holy vs. unholy?" . Plus I don't know for sure yet whether it actually is a more accurate word choice. But in honesty, I really do appreciate your comment(s).

Love in Jesus,
Kelby
The bible tells us His people shall be Holy. So us as born again believers are Holy. Those who have the Holy Spirit indwelling in us are Holy. Those who are not born again, those who still belong to the world, the children of disobedience, those who do not know Christ are unholy.

TLC209

Mar 20, 2019
Merced, CA
Has anyone learned how to pray and be answered? I'm asking because I wonder what a "dog" is in Matthew 7:6, but I don’t want a canned response from some man/woman you may have trusted in the past. I want to know what it means, not what someone THINKS it means. Thanks.

Love in Jesus,
Kelby
Do Not Judge Others
7 “Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. 2 For you will be treated as you treat others. The standard you use in judging is the standard by which you will be judged.

3 “And why worry about a speck in your friend’s eye when you have a log in your own? 4 How can you think of saying to your friend, ‘Let me help you get rid of that speck in your eye,’ when you can’t see past the log in your own eye? 5 Hypocrite! First get rid of the log in your own eye; then you will see well enough to deal with the speck in your friend’s eye.

6 “Don’t waste what is holy on people who are unholy. Don’t throw your pearls to pigs! They will trample the pearls, then turn and attack you.

Not sure if you posted this with an intention, but it sure seemed to hit home. Because theres alot of this going on here on cc. People attacking and hurling insults, all the while ignoring the scriptures. "Trampling pearls and attacking."

This scripture says not to waste your time on them. Save your breath sort of speak.

I appreciate your insight. Not sure if you knew you did that or not or if it was unintentional.

7seasrekeyed

Did you draw the husky in your avie?
oh

I just saw this now

no..did not draw that...it's actually a photo I nabbed off the net...that's ok though...no monetary compensation .. no problem...there was also no reference as to who took this photo

I sell my work and am very conscientious about not taking credit for anything that is not mine

as I would hope others are

Jul 23, 2018
Hmmm. How did I miss this posting in my replying? Your answer is the first one that provoked my spirit (in a good way). :)

I'll add this though... From what I understand, the Bro's and Sis's in the Lord (who "turn again and rend you" when you've shared with them a precious thing) are the swine, not the dogs (because they've been washed from such behavior yet chose to return to it... so in that area of their life they are behaving like swine.). So I'm still questioning what dogs represent. So far, I kind of understand them to be unholy, perhaps the unsaved, but it still seems vague. However, I just reread the verse(s) that came to mind and perhaps both the dog and swine analogies refer to errant Christians...:

2 Peter 2:21-22 KJV
For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them. [22] But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

Love in Jesus,
Kelby
They were just 2 handy examples illustating returning to something bad.
An insult to heaven.

Mar 28, 2016
The bible tells us His people shall be Holy. So us as born again believers are Holy. Those who have the Holy Spirit indwelling in us are Holy. Those who are not born again, those who still belong to the world, the children of disobedience, those who do not know Christ are unholy.
Un circumcised, Un clean, un holy, not born again .Used in ceremonial laws to preach the gospel beforehand in respect to the suffering of Christ.

Mar 28, 2016
oh

I just saw this now

no..did not draw that...it's actually a photo I nabbed off the net...that's ok though...no monetary compensation .. no problem...there was also no reference as to who took this photo

I sell my work and am very conscientious about not taking credit for anything that is not mine

Curious... What kind of Art ?

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
My mention of how to get answers has to do with the idea that God knows the real question being asked...even if the person praying doesn't. Some people know how that works, some don't. I was hoping to reduce the number of "I think it means this.." kind of answers, and instead receive the actual, specific answer to the question I was asking (no matter how poorly worded).

I have an understanding of what a swine is, spiritually, but not so much about dogs. So I was wanting to know. I've only read a few replies so far and am happy to say I've gained some understanding. So I'll keep reading. Thanks for replying.

Love in Jesus,
Kelby
You are welcome Kelby. But now you have put a question into my mind. Are you thinking that we ask the Lord in ways that we think He wants to hear rather than from what’s really in our hearts?

Or am I reading too much in your answer?

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
I just went to the actual scripture.

Mat 7:6 Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

This I’ve always read as being about the revelation of the Word. Goes with what absolutely posted.

Still not really understanding your question, but that’s ok. Is just me. 😇

notuptome

May 17, 2013
I see the correlation but my question would be... "How would you use that in your daily life?"

Love in Jesus,
Kelby
It's central to what is going on today. Judging and condemning people based on their ethnicity not on who they are. The world hates to Jews because they are Gods chosen people. Jews hate the world because they are not Gods chosen people. Christ died to save Jews first then all the peoples who will receive Him.

Too much effort spend looking down on people because they are different and too little time spent on sharing with them the gospel they need to hear mare than anything else in the world.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Jul 23, 2018
oh

I just saw this now

Musicians and artists seem to have such "pretty gifting".
Expressive.
Same with writers.

I have a coffee buddy that envies my auto repair gifting.(daily i seek to get into something else. Something that actually pays money. Real estate or something)
But he himself says he has no talent.
It kinda stings when he says it because i do not see him that way.
He is a weight lifter.
He is 80 yrs old. He looks pretty good. No body fat.
I flow with him pretty good,and he is mesmerized by the vids i show him on my phone. Mainly funny stuff.
What would you tell him,when he says he has no gifting?
Is it just perception?