Something to think about

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011

A member of a certain church, who previously had been attending services regularly, stopped going. After a few weeks, the pastor decided to visit him.

It was a chilly evening.. The pastor found the man at home alone, sitting before a blazing fire. Guessing the reason for his pastor's visit, the man welcomed him, led him to a comfortable chair near the fireplace and waited.

The pastor made himself at home but said nothing. In the grave silence, he contemplated the dance of the flames around the burning logs. After some minutes, the pastor took the fire tongs, carefully picked up a brightly burning ember and placed it to one side of the hearth all alone then he sat back in his chair, still silent.

The host watched all this in quiet contemplation. As the one lone ember's flame flickered and diminished, there was a momentary glow and then its fire was no more. Soon it was cold and dead.

Not a word had been spoken since the initial greeting. The pastor glanced at his watch and realized it was time to leave. He slowly stood up, picked up the cold, dead ember and placed it back in the middle of the fire. Immediately it began to glow, once more with the light and warmth of the burning coals around it.

As the pastor reached the door to leave, his host said with a tear running down his cheek, 'Thank you so much for your visit and especially for the firey sermon. I will be back in church next Sunday'.

L

Liz01

thanks, its a beautiful story :)

J

Jullianna

very illuminating :D

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
**Looks up at Jullianna's avatar and wonders who's in trouble now

Feb 11, 2012
Why do you attend church? This is a nice story to get this man back to a building, which I hope and pray would include this:

Bottom line is, IF any of you have never done this:

Gal 2:20
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Then you need to do this,

Rev 2:5Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

God is long suffering and merciful:

2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

But willful, deliberate sin, which is rebellion twards God, (not mistakes, faults, errors, poor judgements) leads to death(spiritual).

Eze 18:24 But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die.

Its that simple! I pray your church teaches this! If not seek truth, and flee Babylon!

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
The story was sent to me by a friend via e-mail and it struck a chord with me. Recently Breakpoint (a radio commentary put out by Prison Fellowship Ministry) did a broadcast on the extreme individualism that is permeating the church today. This trend has taken the idea that our walk with Christ is personal to the extreme that that many believe that their relationship with Christ is no one else's business whatsoever. It completely removes the body of Christ and accountability to a church family from the picture.

In past generations when people typically attended the "neighborhood" church, everyone knew what was going on in peoples lives, there was accountability and intimacy within the body of believers. This generation has seen the rising up of the mega church where no one knows anyone, and at the same time there is an exodus of believers from the church because of this philosophy that our christian walk is between each individual and God only. Accountability to and intimacy with a body of believers is being removed from the picture and individuals are falling by the wayside as a result.

Pheonix

Jan 17, 2007
The story was sent to me by a friend via e-mail and it struck a chord with me. Recently Breakpoint (a radio commentary put out by Prison Fellowship Ministry) did a broadcast on the extreme individualism that is permeating the church today. This trend has taken the idea that our walk with Christ is personal to the extreme that that many believe that their relationship with Christ is no one else's business whatsoever. It completely removes the body of Christ and accountability to a church family from the picture.

In past generations when people typically attended the "neighborhood" church, everyone knew what was going on in peoples lives, there was accountability and intimacy within the body of believers. This generation has seen the rising up of the mega church where no one knows anyone, and at the same time there is an exodus of believers from the church because of this philosophy that our christian walk is between each individual and God only. Accountability to and intimacy with a body of believers is being removed from the picture and individuals are falling by the wayside as a result.
I have not been in a church of any kind for years. when I stopped going, there was no pastor or elder or minister who came to visit me. They simply didn't care. Even while I was still attending church I never felt welcome or wanted. So it was very easy for me to leave. If pastor and such actually behaved like your story then there wouldn't be a crisis of faith among christians and the church would be strong as a rock. Sadly while the story is really nice and heartwarming, it simply isn't reality.

J

Jullianna

Pheonix, maybe when we see shortcomings like that in our churches we should be willing to stand in the gap and be the smiling faces, shaking hands, hugging arms and loving words of encouragement to others that we long for ourselves. Fire like that has a way of catching and spreading.

G

GreenNnice

Pheonix, maybe when we see shortcomings like that in our churches we should be willing to stand in the gap and be the smiling faces, shaking hands, hugging arms and loving words of encouragement to others that we long for ourselves. Fire like that has a way of catching and spreading.
God really does want us to 'stand in the gap.' :) Or, else :(

The Lord speaking through the prophet, Ezekiel:

Ezekiel 22: 29-30 - "The people of the land have used oppressions, committed robbery, and, mistreated the poor and needy, and they wrongfully oppressed the stranger. So I sought for a man among them who would make a wall, and, stand in the gap before Me on behalf of the land, that I should not destroy it, but I found no one . Therefore, I (The Lord) have poured out My indignation on them; I have consumed them with the fire of My wrath; and I have recompensed their deeds on their own heads," says the Lord God. "

Lucy68

Jan 21, 2011
The only place we will find a perfect church is in heaven :)

K

keep_on_smiling

Oncefallen: I read your post the other day and it has come back to me randomly throughout the days since. It's really such a great, meaningful story. Thank you very much for sharing.

Lucy68

Jan 21, 2011
I have not been in a church of any kind for years. when I stopped going, there was no pastor or elder or minister who came to visit me. They simply didn't care. Even while I was still attending church I never felt welcome or wanted. So it was very easy for me to leave. If pastor and such actually behaved like your story then there wouldn't be a crisis of faith among christians and the church would be strong as a rock. Sadly while the story is really nice and heartwarming, it simply isn't reality.
Please don't give up on finding a church where you feel welcomed and taught. Visit around :)

Praying for the Spirit to lead you to a wonderful fellowship!

A

AnandaHya

I think if everyone realized that to be a child of God is to be a minister instead of expecting the man in the pulpit to visit and show God's love to others and expect others to do what you yourself are not doing by reaching out First and giving love instead of waiting for others to serve you.

yeah its a run on sentence but someone might be able to figure out what I'm trying to say.

main thing I see is people expect too much of pastors and too little from themselves and fellow believers.

too often I have found people make excuses for not reaching out to others. I find them in my own mind and have to cast them out because they war against the knowledge of God and what He tells me is His plan for the church and His children.

words like:

they will think its foolish. Its just not done. you can't do that because.... what will they think.... what if you say something stupid?

you don't know them that well what if they get offended?

why don't they say hi first?

Last edited:
A

AnandaHya

the question I end up with is: Why don't I be the kind of loving person that Jesus taught us to be and care more about what God thinks and wants then what others will say or do?

most of the time people are really friendly though busy with other things in their lives but if you take the time to reach out and develop deep personal friendships its worth it.

J

Jullianna

The only place we will find a perfect church is in heaven :)
A wonderful elderly woman of God I know always says, "If you find a perfect church, don't go there. You'll mess it up." :D

Aug 2, 2009
I believe the perfect church is the temple of the holy spirit, our bodies.

"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?" - (1 Cor. 6:19)