Speak Your Mind.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
K

keepitsimple

The Alamo is a surreal place to visit.
The whole RiverWalk is amazing actually....a place you must visit while in Texas.

Even over places like where Kennedy was shot, in Dallas.
That had a creepy feel to it.

Gettysburg is a pretty neat place to visit as well if you're a fan of Civil War history, which I am. Interestingly enough, one of the things that intrigues me most about this era and it's participants was their fluent and articulate manner of expressing their thoughts thru their writing ... as witnessed by reading some of the letters sent home by the soldiers to their sweethearts. Simply beautiful ... and certainly a long lost art.

Feb 19, 2015
Why is a 2x4 called a 2x4 when it is actually only a 1.5 x 3.5?

Why when you buy a 33 inch t.v it's really only 30.6 inches?

Why is a hamburger called a hamburger when it gots no ham in it?

And why is a pork butt called a butt when it comes from the front shoulder?

Why, why, why???? LOL!!!

I hope I don't spoil your fun in asking why on these odd trivial things which really are funny, but there are good explainations for all of these questions.

2x4 is called a 2x4 because it is actually a 2x4 when rough cut. Studs in old walls were unfinished 2x4's. Today, 2x4's are planed down and the corners rounded so they can be classified as a finished product which is a cost savings in shipping and/or taxes or stuff like that.

The tv screen may be the diagonal measurement vs linear measurment, or maybe it include the part of the screen that is buried under the outside shell around the edges...not sure.

If I recall, hamburger refers to the german town of hamburg and the sandwich name "hamburger' came from there.

I didn't know pork butt came from the shoulder.

Only my comments on the reason for a 2x4 not measuring 2x4 are fairly reliable....picked it up because I did a lot of work on old houses which had full size, unfinished 2x4's which actually measured 2x4. That old pine wood was different than the modern pine farmed for construction today. It was a lot harder to drive a nail into, or maybe it hardened with age...but I always had trouble driving common 16 penny nails into it...... the the nails used for framing with full size 2x4's were bigger than the standard 16 penny nails today...I believe 20 penny nails were what they used in the full size studs, they were a bear to pull out of the boards sometimes.

Heard somebody on the radio explaining how government regulations caused changes in things....laws about shpping finished products vs unfinished products caused the lumber industry to start shaving 2x4's before they were shipped.

P

psychomom

Gettysburg is a pretty neat place to visit as well if you're a fan of Civil War history, which I am. Interestingly enough, one of the things that intrigues me most about this era and it's participants was their fluent and articulate manner of expressing their thoughts thru their writing ... as witnessed by reading some of the letters sent home by the soldiers to their sweethearts. Simply beautiful ... and certainly a long lost art.
when i was in 4th grade, we memorized Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.

i remember my classmates and i, when we got to:
'The world will little note, nor long remember
what we say here...'
saying to one another, yah, right! :rolleyes:

have you seen the Ken Burns Civil War special? it's a two tissue box affair.

Feb 19, 2015
It's probably govt regulations that caused pork shoulder to be named pork butt. Government regulations on the cuts of meat cause butchers to start cutting meats in different ways and then they invent new names for the pieces to avoid the govt regulations.

I saw this happen when Kentucky fried chicken started selling different cuts in their pieces. You used to be able to buy "keels" which were the center cut of the breatbone with the best of the breat meat and the keel bone, the breast bone, with no ribs. A "rib" was a piece with ribs pretty much the same as what is called a breast today. A chicken breat used to be the keel piece and nothing else. Some govt employees have to find things to do so they look like they are working, so they invent new rules about the way meats or boards are cut and put price controls on those cuts and then the industry adapts by inventing new cuts to avoid the regulations on the old cuts.

K

keepitsimple

when i was in 4th grade, we memorized Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.

i remember my classmates and i, when we got to:
'The world will little note, nor long remember
what we say here...'
saying to one another, yah, right! :rolleyes:

have you seen the Ken Burns Civil War special? it's a two tissue box affair.
I very much enjoyed that series ... more than a few times. Have it on DVD :)

D

DesiredHaven

I hope I don't spoil your fun in asking why on these odd trivial things which really are funny, but there are good explainations for all of these questions.

2x4 is called a 2x4 because it is actually a 2x4 when rough cut. Studs in old walls were unfinished 2x4's. Today, 2x4's are planed down and the corners rounded so they can be classified as a finished product which is a cost savings in shipping and/or taxes or stuff like that.

The tv screen may be the diagonal measurement vs linear measurment, or maybe it include the part of the screen that is buried under the outside shell around the edges...not sure.

If I recall, hamburger refers to the german town of hamburg and the sandwich name "hamburger' came from there.

I didn't know pork butt came from the shoulder.

Only my comments on the reason for a 2x4 not measuring 2x4 are fairly reliable....picked it up because I did a lot of work on old houses which had full size, unfinished 2x4's which actually measured 2x4. That old pine wood was different than the modern pine farmed for construction today. It was a lot harder to drive a nail into, or maybe it hardened with age...but I always had trouble driving common 16 penny nails into it...... the the nails used for framing with full size 2x4's were bigger than the standard 16 penny nails today...I believe 20 penny nails were what they used in the full size studs, they were a bear to pull out of the boards sometimes.

Heard somebody on the radio explaining how government regulations caused changes in things....laws about shpping finished products vs unfinished products caused the lumber industry to start shaving 2x4's before they were shipped.

He processes his own meat and built his own home, I think he was being sarcastic lol

P

phil112

Speaking of speaking my mind, can I get serious???

I'm very tired of people who have little or no knowledge of English, let alone any another language who set themselves up as god on a variety of subjects, including the KJV being perfect, capitalism being the choice of Jesus, and other inane and middle class American values.

I keep thinking this is an international forum, and I keep getting told that it is American, in more than one way.

Not that I mind people being proud of their country, defending it, etc. But the values that America has are not necessarily Biblical, whether they work for you or not.

PS. I hope you feel better soon and get the treatment you need, Phil.
Actually America is an islam country with obama driving. I understand where you're coming from tho.
I actually had someone send me a PM and ask me why I didn't get serious about God and put Him first. It is sad, yet amusing, that someone has read any of my posts and thinks that the good Lord doesn't stay in my mind.

As for my health, Angela, it's just my back and knees. I've been hard on myself, but that's okay, I have a place waiting where that all goes away. :)

M

Marian29

Good night you all.... :) God bless!

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I'm with you Phil. My RA is kicking me to the curb. The meds have failed, and my knees and feet can hardly carry me across the room. My wrists are so bad, hubby is taking me out for dinner, because I cannot prepare food.

As for the back, I'm in the midst of a mess with my first rib popping in and out of place from a 1985 whiplash injury. I couldn't do my weights after I broke my wrist last summer, and now the muscles are not holding the back and neck in place.

Sure glad I am not abducting this thread with my maudlin whining, since there is nothing to abduct.

Maybe we could get together sometime and cry on each other's shoulders, Phil. As for waiting for Jesus, well, some days I am just calling out for him to take me home. Too bad it is just pain, not something serious. Either that, or I need to claim healing??? LOL

I think I forgot to mention WoF and legalists in my last post of complaint! Like I said, I really need to stay away until either I am feeling better, or the forum gets cleaned up somehow?? Not to say free speech isn't allowed. I just wish ignoramus speech wasn't. Sigh!

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
I'm with you Phil. My RA is kicking me to the curb. The meds have failed, and my knees and feet can hardly carry me across the room. My wrists are so bad, hubby is taking me out for dinner, because I cannot prepare food.

As for the back, I'm in the midst of a mess with my first rib popping in and out of place from a 1985 whiplash injury. I couldn't do my weights after I broke my wrist last summer, and now the muscles are not holding the back and neck in place.

Sure glad I am not abducting this thread with my maudlin whining, since there is nothing to abduct.

Maybe we could get together sometime and cry on each other's shoulders, Phil. As for waiting for Jesus, well, some days I am just calling out for him to take me home. Too bad it is just pain, not something serious. Either that, or I need to claim healing??? LOL

I think I forgot to mention WoF and legalists in my last post of complaint! Like I said, I really need to stay away until either I am feeling better, or the forum gets cleaned up somehow?? Not to say free speech isn't allowed. I just wish ignoramus speech wasn't. Sigh!

aww Angela.. :( Being in that much pain sucks.. trust me, I know. U need to take it alot easier than you do. :( Don't make me come there and tie you down to keep you off your feet. :eek: lol jk.. :)

G

GaryA

LOL. Yea, me too. I love to fish in the river for the big catfish here in Texas.
What part of Texas do you live in?

( Please PM me if you do not want to reply to this in the thread. Even if it is to tell me "nunya"... ;) )

:)

G

GaryA

I'm not a bad guy, I'm just misunderstood. ;)
This statement could come in really handy around here at times...

( "I just might have to put it in my signature..." :p )

:)

O

oldthennew

some day soon freedom and liberty
will not cease below the brass mountain
springs and fountains shall break forth
with pure healing waters
and the glorious peace and love
will never cease.

oldhermit

Jul 28, 2012
Alabama
to be honest, the whole textual conditions vs the sensible horizon has me stumped.

perhaps if you hadn't included the word 'sensible'? :p
The reason I refer to it as a "sensible" horizon is because this word best describes man's approach to what he regards as a valid way of deciding what constitutes truth/reality. This view of what is regarded as real or truth is rooted in man's experiences in testing what he knows of the natural world through the process of observable regularities. I guess in layman's terms this would be regarded as a "common sense" approach to reality versus a revealed perception of reality.

P

phil112

Certainly I commiserate Angela.
Haven't made as much progress in the word, given me not up to reading, in several days. I did read this morning.
Before I sit down to read I get a cup of coffee, get on my knees, and thank God for a good nights rest, a new day, and His word that supports and edifies me. I also ask Him to bless me with something from the word.
He was faithful to do that today again.

Can't just be coincidence Angela, that your post on healing was read while His word is on my mind.
Something that comes up so often is why believers suffer, why, if God loves them, do they not get healed. The answer is simple. Christ was our example, and as He suffered, so must we. There are things we deal with that are potholes in the road to heaven. That is by design. Remember, even Paul got no relief from God for his thorn in the flesh.

1 Peter 4:13 "But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy."

We aren't just supposed to endure the suffering, but rejoice we have it, for that is indicative of our standing with Christ. If we share in His pain, we share in His glory. When we suffer we are more likely to lean on Him and ask for His succor. That makes it a whole lot easier for me.

P

phil112

Okay, I just had to put this up. Quite an intriguing photo and as near as I can tell, it isn't photo shopped. I'll put up a partial translation.
"A neighbor in East London called Le-May Martin has captured this stunning photo where you can see the two animals in full flight in a park in Esssex (England). In it you can see a tiny mustela - a kind of weasel dwarf - on the back of a woodpecker."
https://es.noticias.yahoo.com/la-im...-lomos-de-un-pájaro-carpintero-105359389.html
woodpecker.jpg

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I'm feeling quite a bit better today, thanks to all who prayed for me!

I guess I have to take it just a day at a time, and when the pain gets bad, really focus on eternity!

oldhermit

Jul 28, 2012
Alabama
I'm feeling quite a bit better today, thanks to all who prayed for me!

I guess I have to take it just a day at a time, and when the pain gets bad, really focus on eternity!
Glad you are feeling better Angela. I certainly understand the problem with RA from one day to the next.