Speaking in tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jun 12, 2018
wow, post something and it doesn't end up on the thread, or am i wrong?

Jun 10, 2018
Can someone explain to me the uniqueness of this gift of speaking in tongues which most congregations in my neighbourhood insist on acquiring? Is it in any way superior to or more edifying than other gifts?
Speaking in tongues occurred during Pentecost in scripture. The Holy Spirit descended on those in the upper room, males and females alike, and when this happened they were able to speak in tongues. Which in that time was the words used to say, they began to speak in languages they did not know. This was so as to ready them for the Great Commission that Jesus told them to pursue. Go forth into all the world and spread the Gospel, the Good News.

Today's tongues is gibberish. Not foreign languages. It's either delusion or fakery. There's a Philadelphia pastor that gets his congregation riled up on TV. First Church of Our Lord Jesus Christ. Pastored by the Apostle, which isn't so because Apostles were those whom Jesus anointed personally, Gino Jennings.
He is so fake but he cracks himself up at times so that his Bible reader, a man he's known since they were children, can't keep a straight face either.
When Gino is on a tear he'll start convulsing and saying, "Hallelujah". Then his Bible reader starts blabbering and running high stepping around the stage. That is not speaking in tongues. That's bullpucky. But, it sells so well that the man who said in a sermon last year that God created Hell to get even with man, ended up getting enough donations to buy straight cash a former Catholic church and campus. And this after he bad mouths the Catholic faith as idolaters.

If you hear someone blabbering in weird sounds that doesn't sound at all like a language, that is nonsense. Not tongues. Certain scriptures even say tongues have ceased. But no one knows whom God will touch and lead to do his will. What he will not do is call someone to blabber nonsense so as to make it seem like the Holy Spirit speaks like that.

shrume

Jun 26, 2017
Speaking in tongues occurred during Pentecost in scripture.
That was the FIRST time it occurred, yes.

The Holy Spirit descended on those in the upper room, males and females alike, and when this happened they were able to speak in tongues.
The Holy Spirit initially descended on the 12 apostles, and they were in the temple.

Which in that time was the words used to say, they began to speak in languages they did not know.
Yes, when a person speaks in tongues, he does not know the language he is speaking.

This was so as to ready them for the Great Commission that Jesus told them to pursue. Go forth into all the world and spread the Gospel, the Good News.
Speaking in tongues is not a witnessing tool. It is not used for missionary work, or spreading the gospel.

Today's tongues is gibberish. Not foreign languages. It's either delusion or fakery.
This is not true. Tongues is the same today as it was back in the first century.

There's a Philadelphia pastor that gets his congregation riled up on TV. First Church of Our Lord Jesus Christ. Pastored by the Apostle, which isn't so because Apostles were those whom Jesus anointed personally, Gino Jennings.
I don't know anything about Gino Jennings, but there are atill apostles today.

He is so fake but he cracks himself up at times so that his Bible reader, a man he's known since they were children, can't keep a straight face either.
When Gino is on a tear he'll start convulsing and saying, "Hallelujah". Then his Bible reader starts blabbering and running high stepping around the stage. That is not speaking in tongues. That's bullpucky. But, it sells so well that the man who said in a sermon last year that God created Hell to get even with man, ended up getting enough donations to buy straight cash a former Catholic church and campus. And this after he bad mouths the Catholic faith as idolaters.
Again, I do not know anything about this guy.

If you hear someone blabbering in weird sounds that doesn't sound at all like a language, that is nonsense. Not tongues. Certain scriptures even say tongues have ceased.
There is no scripture that says tongues have ceased. There is 1 Cor 13:8 that says tongues WILL cease.

But no one knows whom God will touch and lead to do his will.
Here is God's will:
1 Cor 14:
5) I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

What he will not do is call someone to blabber nonsense so as to make it seem like the Holy Spirit speaks like that.
Right. Tongues is not nonsense.

...hope this helps. :)

jb

Feb 27, 2010
Can someone explain to me the uniqueness of this gift of speaking in tongues which most congregations in my neighbourhood insist on acquiring? Is it in any way superior to or more edifying than other gifts?
You can find a bit of a study Here on this subject...

Jun 12, 2018
but i do agree, it don't mean a thing unless you got, God the father, Jesus and the holy Ghost. You can't have one and not the others. are there any modalist around anymore, oneness pentacostals. i even think td jakes came out against that finally. he might not be a scholar, but he knows more than me. who in here has some published works, and this in here is not work. hehehehe. ARE THERE ANY phd' S IN HERE, jut wondering

Jun 12, 2018
ah, did paul say they sounded like "barbarians " to him? i "believe" he did!

Mar 28, 2016
Tongues which is God speaking (prophecy) interpreted by God in other language other than Hebrew is a sign to confirm the unbelieving Jews would not get under the authority of all things written as the things of God but rather the things of men the oral tradition of the fathers . They made prophecy (the word of God without effect). Therefore with mocking lip (stammering lips) God inspired his word to the gentiles in many languages.

No middle party , private interpretation needed to interpret God's interpretation .

Mark 7:13Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

Some confuse the sign to confirm they are with God, turning things upside down . Signs throughout the scriptures speak to those who rebel against God .believing prophecy confirms. There is no such thing as a sign gift we walk by faith the unseen eternal .

For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people. To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear. But the word of the Lord was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken. Wherefore hear the word of the Lord, ye scornful men, that rule this people which is in Jerusalem.
Because ye have said, We have made a covenant with death, and with hell are we at agreement; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, it shall not come unto us: for we have made lies our refuge, and under falsehood have we hid ourselves: Isaiah 28 :11-15

No confirmation the person has the Holy Spirit but again just the opposite if a person searches out the matter .

Wherefore tongues are "for a sign", not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.1 Corinthians 14:22

If you look at the opening statement it does not say.... Wherefore tongues are "for a sign", to them that believe.....but clearly not to them that believe prophecy. Believing God's interpretgation (not a third private party) is for those who do believe to the salvation of their souls. No outward sign needed to those who walk by faith(God's working in us)

shrume

Jun 26, 2017
Tongues which is God speaking (prophecy) interpreted by God in other language other than Hebrew is a sign to confirm the unbelieving Jews would not get under the authority of all things written as the things of God but rather the things of men the oral tradition of the fathers .
Your very first sentence is still wrong, garee...

Tongues is not "God speaking", and tongues is not prophesy. Speaking in tongues is people speaking TO God.

1 Cor 14:
2) For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

Read the verse, garee. Look at what it says. Instead of just repeating yourself, look at what the Bible is actually saying, and try to change your thinking accordingly.

Mar 28, 2016
ah, did paul say they sounded like "barbarians " to him? i "believe" he did!
When a person encounters another language the person will feel like a barbarian to the one speaking and when he is finished speaking and you start speaking to the other they will feel the same way . Its a two way street both receive prophecy

Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me.1 Corinthians 14:11

Both people mutually share the work of God mutually working in both brining His interpretation (prophecy) .

Since new prophecy has ceased the last given in the book of Revelation Tongues prophecy in other languages other than J Hebrew alone has also ceased .

God does not record the times he did work in two who have different understanding as language barriers.

Conversations like that of Phillip and the eunuch, or possibly Peter and the Italian could of been exercising the gift of prophecy in other languages. (Tongues)Today they have machines that in real time do the work of keeping two people from being barbarians to one another.

Mar 28, 2016
Your very first sentence is still wrong, garee...

Tongues is not "God speaking", and tongues is not prophesy. Speaking in tongues is people speaking TO God.

1 Cor 14:
2) For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

Read the verse, garee. Look at what it says. Instead of just repeating yourself, look at what the Bible is actually saying, and try to change your thinking accordingly.
Thanks for the reply .

Its not unknown to the speaker . The word unknown was added. No special private, secret language to God to confirm something. God speaks to men called prophecy . Just study verse and them you might understand who the sign is in respect to as to whom it confirms as not having the Holy Spirit. It clearly does not represent and confirm the opposite. Those who do beleive. No such thing as a sign gift.

Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that "believe", but to them that "believe not": but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.1 Corinthians !4:22

Who is the sign for?

Bladerunner

Aug 22, 2016
The Apostles were given this gift in order to prove to the Jewish people they were not fakes. This was only one of the many gifts given. All to prove the apostles were in fact the originals.

Having said that, there are Gifts given to people today. All kinds of gifts. While the Gift of Tongues "MAY BE" one of them, it is not the gift that is so widely seen in certain denominations of the Christian religion.

The Gifts of tongues was used to speak to many different languages at one time. Today, it is giberish in most cases and is not biblical.

Biblical definition of Tongues = a Specific language.

Blade

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
Non of the so called tongues spoken today is real- for the kingdom of God doesn't come with observable signs so that people can say, "look, here it is or there it goes.." or "you see the people at corner blabbering a new language, they belong to the kingdom.."
NO NO NO.

All these things ceased in the 1st century- we are not only talking about tongues, the raising of the dead/ the laying of hands to heal/ the doing of miracles/ the interpretation of tongues, all of them.

Not that i'm guessing, i know what i'm saying, it is all about a timeline, there's times and seasons for everything as prophesied by Daniel. It is at the time of disciples/Apostles/1st century church that the antichrist was being held so that the mandate of spreading the gospel to all nations (before the end times) could be achieved. At that time, all signs and wonders were genuine and they helped the people (Jews & Gentiles) to believe the gospel. The Apostles and disciples under the leadership of Paul & Peter were the two witnesses that Revelation talks about. As long as they witnessed, nothing could touch them hence the miraculous escapes from prisons. Until they finished witnessing then the antichrist takes reign of the world and the first order of events was to pursue them and kill them, then from that point on every sign and wonder has been fake because antichrist comes to deceive.

2 Thess 2:5 Don’t you remember that when I was with you I used to tell you these things? 6And now you know what is holding him back, so that he may be revealed at the proper time. 7For the secret power of lawlessness is already at work; but the one who now holds it back will continue to do so till he is taken out of the way. 8And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will overthrow with the breath of his mouth and destroy by the splendor of his coming. 9The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with how Satan works. He will use all sorts of displays of power through signs and wonders that serve the lie, 10and all the ways that wickedness deceives those who are perishing. They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. 11For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie 12and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness.

Rev 13:11 Then I saw a second beast, coming out of the earth. It had two horns like a lamb, but it spoke like a dragon. 12It exercised all the authority of the first beast on its behalf, and made the earth and its inhabitants worship the first beast, whose fatal wound had been healed. 13And it performed great signs, even causing fire to come down from heaven to the earth in full view of the people. 14Because of the signs it was given power to perform on behalf of the first beast, it deceived the inhabitants of the earth. It ordered them to set up an image in honor of the beast who was wounded by the sword and yet lived.

And i'm not speaking as an outsider, i 'spoke in tongues' for some time and all along i thought it was God but it is all fake. Let no body say there are some genuine tongues and some fake tongues. If two men speaks incomprehensible words, there;s absolutely no reason to say one is genuine and the other is fake based on the church they come from or based on how well they behave- that's why i say it is all fake.
The signs and wonders ceased because the antichrist took reign and there can not be a genuine sign here and a fake sign there, it would bring confusion and people would have excuses, it is all fake now so that whoever believes in them have no excuse and God gives them a powerful delusion because they hated truth.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
Non of the so called tongues spoken today is real- for the kingdom of God doesn't come with observable signs so that people can say, "look, here it is or there it goes.." or "you see the people at corner blabbering a new language, they belong to the kingdom.."
NO NO NO.

All these things ceased in the 1st century- we are not only talking about tongues, the raising of the dead/ the laying of hands to heal/ the doing of miracles/ the interpretation of tongues, all of them.

Not that i'm guessing, i know what i'm saying, it is all about a timeline, there's times and seasons for everything as prophesied by Daniel. It is at the time of disciples/Apostles/1st century church that the antichrist was being held so that the mandate of spreading the gospel to all nations (before the end times) could be achieved. At that time, all signs and wonders were genuine and they helped the people (Jews & Gentiles) to believe the gospel. The Apostles and disciples under the leadership of Paul & Peter were the two witnesses that Revelation talks about. As long as they witnessed, nothing could touch them hence the miraculous escapes from prisons. Until they finished witnessing then the antichrist takes reign of the world and the first order of events was to pursue them and kill them, then from that point on every sign and wonder has been fake because antichrist comes to deceive.

2 Thess 2:5 Don’t you remember that when I was with you I used to tell you these things? 6And now you know what is holding him back, so that he may be revealed at the proper time. 7For the secret power of lawlessness is already at work; but the one who now holds it back will continue to do so till he is taken out of the way. 8And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will overthrow with the breath of his mouth and destroy by the splendor of his coming. 9The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with how Satan works. He will use all sorts of displays of power through signs and wonders that serve the lie, 10and all the ways that wickedness deceives those who are perishing. They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. 11For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie 12and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness.

Rev 13:11 Then I saw a second beast, coming out of the earth. It had two horns like a lamb, but it spoke like a dragon. 12It exercised all the authority of the first beast on its behalf, and made the earth and its inhabitants worship the first beast, whose fatal wound had been healed. 13And it performed great signs, even causing fire to come down from heaven to the earth in full view of the people. 14Because of the signs it was given power to perform on behalf of the first beast, it deceived the inhabitants of the earth. It ordered them to set up an image in honor of the beast who was wounded by the sword and yet lived.

And i'm not speaking as an outsider, i 'spoke in tongues' for some time and all along i thought it was God but it is all fake. Let no body say there are some genuine tongues and some fake tongues. If two men speaks incomprehensible words, there;s absolutely no reason to say one is genuine and the other is fake based on the church they come from or based on how well they behave- that's why i say it is all fake.
The signs and wonders ceased because the antichrist took reign and there can not be a genuine sign here and a fake sign there, it would bring confusion and people would have excuses, it is all fake now so that whoever believes in them have no excuse and God gives them a powerful delusion because they hated truth.
LOL!

So God is the "Great I Was", and not the "Great I AM", Who only did miracles in the past and not today!

I'm glad that the God I serve is still doing miracles TODAY, His Name is Jesus, THE GREAT I AM! Exodus 3v14,15, John 8v58, Acts 2v16-21,38,39.

Psalm 78v41 with Heb chapters 3 & 4 reminds me of your view of God's character.

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
LOL!

So God is the "Great I Was", and not the "Great I AM", Who only did miracles in the past and not today!

I'm glad that the God I serve is still doing miracles TODAY, His Name is Jesus, THE GREAT I AM! Exodus 3v14,15, John 8v58, Acts 2v16-21,38,39.

o_Oo_O
Great I AM doesn't mean miracles.
You remind me of Matt 7:21-22.

"A wicked and adulterous generation looks for a sign, but none will be given it except the sign of Jonah."
The great I AM, 32AD.

Latour

Jun 11, 2018
A brother once asked me..."do you believe in the manifestations of the Spirit?" I replied YES...love joy, peace. What he meant of course was the barking and clucking that is all the rage these days.

What of the spiritual gifts. Well tongues is the easiest gift to fake...so it's popularity will be consistent with that. Miracles? raising the dead? Well those gifts are really HARD to fake...so you don't see those as much! ;)

Desire the gifts that edify others....desire the life and fruit of the Spirit. Let God decide which gifts are required in a given situation and stop looking at what YOU have...think of the Body.

After all do you really care WHO has a certain gift...as long as the Body has it? Why would you want a gift? It is to be given away.

A river doesn't drink it's own water. A tree doesn't eat it's own fruit. So likewise a gift is not for YOU. A gift is meant to give away. When we see gifts in this way then God will entrust us with many gifts...in order to build up His body.

Mar 28, 2016
LOL!

God does miracles every day. Special ones are used to show the spiritual understanding, not seen, hid from the lost in parables. as a sign to the unbelievers.

No such thing as a spiritual gift as something not seen called "sign gifts". Believing outward signs are for natural man that have "no faith" that alone comes from hearing God, as a Pagan foundation.

For instance the raising of the dead typifies the work of the gospel giving a person new spirit life that will be raised on the last day .or healing the blind speaks of giving a person spiritual understanding as God gives us eyes of or new heart and soul, or hearing giving us ears to hear what the Spirit is saying . Healing the those who could not walk speaks of walking by faith after the unseen understanding

Believing prophecy (no outward sign) to the salvation of one's soul is for those who do believe God not seen.

Charismaticism as an outward evidence of something is not a biblical teaching. The kingdom of God that is not of this world. It does not come by observation.

It is the same kind of idea the apostate Jews followed after before they would commit themselves in a hope. (I will do a work, make a sound and call it evidence that I have received the Holy Spirit).as if they did not receive it when they first believed. Christian walk by faith the unseen, eternal .Not by sight after that seen the temporal

While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.2 Cor 4:18

There are no signs required to believe God. If they do not believe God through the message of the cross, one sign would be to many and a thousand not enough. This shows they stumble over the cross

For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;!1 Corinthians 1:23

John 4:48Then said Jesus unto him, Except ye see signs and wonders, ye will not believe

Its an evil generation (natural unconverted man) that has no faith coming from hearing God . the last sign as a wonder (faith principle) has been fulfilled

Matthew 12:39But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas: (the cross)

Luke 11:29And when the people were gathered thick together, he began to say, This is an evil generation: they seek a sign; and there shall no sign be given it, but the sign of Jonas the prophet

Bladerunner

Aug 22, 2016
LOL!

I take it you do not agree with Noose's post #34.. There are NO miracles as there were during that time period. Today, miracles are perform directly by GOD or through the people who deal in medical help.

China, Iran are experiencing increases in conversion to the Christian religion at a rate of around 19-25%. These are individuals in most cases.

By contrast, most of the churches (95% +) in the US and around the world have become apostate. They have all gone to universalism or in human terms, Man authority trumps God's Authority.

Again the miracles of the past were given to the disciples so they might prove they were the real apostle instead of a false one.

Blade

Oct 31, 2015

Speaking in tongues or Praying in tongues?