Speaking in tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

shrume

Jun 26, 2017
Paul said that praying in an unknown tongue is not fruitful.
Yet another twisted statement by you concerning what Paul said.

Tongues is not fruitful when spoken in public unless it's interpreted.

1 Cor 14:
5) I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

13) Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.

Again, the context is speaking in tongues in meetings.

But if a person does not speak in tongues with the intent to interpret:

28) But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

And if Paul thought that speaking in tongues was not fruitful, why did he say:

1 Cor 14:
5) I would that ye all spake with tongues.....,

14) For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
15) What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

18) I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:

39) Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.

Eph 6:
18) Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

CS1

May 23, 2012
The Holy Spirit continues to guide in my study of the word of God. Do I know more today than yesterday? I hope so as I am instructed to grow in the nurture of the Lord.

You can pick and choose how you want to see 1 Cor 13:8.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
LOL I did not ask you that I asked you " have you ever been wrong in your understanding in anything concerning the Word of God? "

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
I think this would be a good time to remember why the Holy Spirit was sent, by God, AFTER Jesus ascended

THE PURPOSE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
1) He convicts the world of sin, righteousness, and of judgment.
John 16:8-11 "And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: of sin, because they do not believe in Me; of righteousness, because I go to My Father and you see Me no more; of judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged."

2) He transforms us in the sight of God.
1 Corinthians 6:11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.

3) He helps us to remember the word of God.
John 14:26 "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you."

4) He helps us to lead a godly life.
Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit (evidence) of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

5) He gives us spiritual gifts for the edification of believers.
1 Corinthians 12:4-7 There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all:
1 Corinthians 14:12 Even so you, since you are zealous for spiritual gifts, let it be for the edification of the church that you seek to excel.

6) He is our guarantee of eternal life with God.
2 Corinthians 1:21-22 Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and has anointed us is God, who also has sealed us and given us the Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee.
Ephesians 1:13-14 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory.

7) He empowers us to be witnesses for our Lord Jesus Christ.
John 15:26 "But when the Helper comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify of Me."
Acts 1:8 "But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth."
Acts 4:33 And with great power the apostles gave witness to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And great grace was upon them all.
1 Corinthians 2:4-5 And my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.

source...even though the above is all scripture

frankly, I do not even know whether or not this site represents a cessationist position or not...however, the word speaks for itself and these verses were conveniently all in the same place :)

we keep hearing about how the Holy Spirit is not for this and not for that and does do this but does not do that

so, you know...what does the Bible say? (and this is not complete although a good start)
I have searched in this long list where we are instructed to speak incomprehensible words and i can't find even a single passage.

1 Cor 12/13/14 were letters to a church that was doing things the wrong way and in all of that, Paul was against incomprehensible words; in summary- if you are going to speak incomprehensible words with no translation, shut up.
If Paul was to write letters to the church today, it would be 100 X more and harsh.

You talk about scriptures but you miss the point: Tongues/healing/miracles were signs and wonders for those people, today we have a different kind of signs and wonders:

2 Thess 2: 9 The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with how Satan works. He will use all sorts of displays of power through signs and wonders that serve the lie,

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
Tongues is not fruitful when spoken in public unless it's interpreted.
Even when spoken in private, it won't be fruitful for we pray for things we know and need, no one prays for things they don't know.
And there's no translation today just like there's no raising of the dead today.

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
so a person praying in tongues is not fervent and the prayer is not effectual?
No it's not, how can it be? you are praying for things you do not know or do you translate your tongues? what's the point.

you can't apply scriptures to yourself and delete everyone else with whom you disagree
You have just applied scripture to yourself and other many like you. So do the deaf and dumb (with no ability to speak) have a chance with God? you think prayers is about petitioning God with your lips, it is a need in the heart that God already knows and fulfills even without movement of lips leave alone, speaking a language you can't understand.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
LOL I did not ask you that I asked you " have you ever been wrong in your understanding in anything concerning the Word of God? "
Well I have had a solid foundation laid in the word of God. I continue to grow so some of the things I understood I now have a better understanding of thanks to the Holy Spirit.

My soteriology has always been spot on. God has no doubt protected me from evil spiritual influences.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

shrume

Jun 26, 2017
Even when spoken in private, it won't be fruitful for we pray for things we know and need, no one prays for things they don't know.
And there's no translation today just like there's no raising of the dead today.
Sorry, I'll choose to believe what the Bible says over your personal opinions.

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
Sorry, I'll choose to believe what the Bible says over your personal opinions.
The bible doesn't suggest that we pray for the thing we don't know and a prayer has nothing to do with movement of lips, it is a deep seeded need in one's heart:

Matt 6:7 And when you pray, do not babble on like pagans, for they think that by their many words they will be heard. 8Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him.

A need is something that is well known to yourself, you can petition God in any language that you understand or just wish; if you speak things that you don't understand then how are you petitioning your need?

I told you before and i repeat, the spirit will intervene with groans too deep for words because words can fail us, not that we don't understand, we have to understand.

Rom 8:25 But if we hope for what we do not yet see, we wait for it patiently. 26In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know how we ought to pray, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groans too deep for words.

This is not babble.

CS1

May 23, 2012
Well I have had a solid foundation laid in the word of God. I continue to grow so some of the things I understood I now have a better understanding of thanks to the Holy Spirit.

My soteriology has always been spot on. God has no doubt protected me from evil spiritual influences.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
have you ever been wrong in your understanding in anything concerning the Word of God? " yes or No

notuptome

May 17, 2013
have you ever been wrong in your understanding in anything concerning the Word of God? " yes or No
LOL Have you?

For the cause of Christ
Roger

P

pjharrison

Can someone explain to me the uniqueness of this gift of speaking in tongues which most congregations in my neighbourhood insist on acquiring? Is it in any way superior to or more edifying than other gifts?
Speaking in tongues is no more special than any other gift. But you have to be sure of what spirit you are being lead by. Because the demons speak in tongues too.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Speaking in tongues is no more special than any other gift. But you have to be sure of what spirit you are being lead by. Because the demons speak in tongues too.
Tread carefully. That is a difficult position to support and highly controversial.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

J

jaybird88

That has nothing to do with God or faith
not to you but it does to those guys.

but is well within the limits of a human body.
lethal poison is beyond those limits, thats what makes it unique.

Reincarnation stories are just stories and no one lives without food and these guyz know very well to stay within the limit, otherwise they die.
if they were just stories no one would care lol. these stories have facts that back them up that no one can explain nor disprove. same as the ones that live without food.

CS1

May 23, 2012
Tread carefully. That is a difficult position to support and highly controversial.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
never
never heard ademon speak in tongues have you?

notuptome

May 17, 2013
I will be very happy to answer you after you answer my question first
I would be happy to answer but I cannot remember a time and I'm certain that I was never enticed by tongues. I do not remember any doctrinal errors but I have had more than a few sanctification issues. Still have plenty of times when the Holy Spirit reigns me in.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

CS1

May 23, 2012
I would be happy to answer but I cannot remember a time and I'm certain that I was never enticed by tongues. I do not remember any doctrinal errors but I have had more than a few sanctification issues. Still have plenty of times when the Holy Spirit reigns me in.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
so you can'y say you were ever wrong about the word of God in your understanding ?