Speaking in tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

presidente

May 29, 2013
reverse? if you mean that other denominations have adherents that 'speak in tongue' ...yes, correct, Catholics, Methodists, Bapticostals, there is quite a list. Never any shortage of apostates.
That is a bizaar statement. According to Mark 16, Jesus said of them that believe 'they shall speak with new tongues' and Paul himself spoke with tongues.

Mar 28, 2016
Pentedcostalism is all about speaking in tongues, SIGN gifts are the tie that binds them.
Signs are what binds those who walk by sight called "sign gifts". There goal as it seem is to make the Son of man Jesus into a circus seal. Jesus informed them its a evil generation that walks by sight as if the kingdom of God did come by observation.

John 6:30 They said therefore unto him, What sign shewest thou then, that we may see, and believe thee? what dost thou work?

A sign of God mocking those who mock Him against those who will not hear prophecy. No outward sign of believers prophecy. God looks upon the hearts with those who do mix faith in what they hear coming from prophecy. According to Hebrew 4 their hearts remain hard as they continue not to hear as God gives ears to hear prophecy.

Its easy to see who the sign is against and what it points to or confirms. Just go to the foundation Isaiah 28

In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord. Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to "them that believe not": but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.1 Corinthians 14:21-22

Oct 24, 2018
Some call their church an assembly. But most assemble for selfish reasons and not to just enjoy praising God and learning His wonderful truths.

What God hates in our churches:

R -- ritual

E -- earnestness for superficiality

L -- legalistic

I -- ignorant of a lot of what is God-pleasing

G -- going on with un-Biblical tradition

I -- “I” problem especially in pride and selfishness

O -- obnoxious

N -- nasty, hypocritical, and condemnatory like the Pharisees of old

Instead what should be happening:

F -- fear not

A -- assurance from God's Word

I -- in God's love

T -- trust in God and the Bible

H -- holiness with Holy Spirit and Bible help

P -- power from Heaven

R -- ruled/guided by the agapè love of God and His Word

A -- attentive to the Holy Spirit

Y -- yearning for God's truths and repentance to righteousness by many

E -- earnest to be righteous and compassionate

R -- ready for the return of the Messiah and His deliverance for believers

G -- God

R -- Redeemer

A -- acts of God

T -- teaching by the Bible and the Holy Spirit

I -- intimacy with Jesus Christ

T -- toleration by the God of grace

U -- understanding by God and others

D -- divine love-- agapè

E -- eternity in the future

C -- Christ, confession

H -- Holy Spirit help

A -- attitudes and actions

N -- needs

G -- good works (Ephesians 2:10)

E -- everywhere for eternity

C -- commitment to God's truth

O -- obedience to the Holy Spirit

U -- understanding God's desires

R -- revival spiritually

A -- attentiveness for opportunities to minister

G -- gratefulness to God, especially for His protection

E -- enduring in faith of God

C -- Christ-likeness, unselfish concerns, & consideration

O -- observations

M -- mercy & money sharing

P -- perseverance, prayer, & patience

A -- attentiveness

S -- specific needs fulfilling

S -- spiritual reasons

I -- ideas & inspiration

O -- obedience to the Holy Spirit

N -- necessary or needed attitudes, actions, & aspirations

R -- respect for one another and receiving of them

E -- emotions (listening to) and exhorting in a caring/teaching way

S -- Scripture sharing: what does the Bible say about the situation needing restoration?

T -- teaching from a Holy Spirit-led pastor, Biblical counselor, or an appropriate Scripture-filled book

O -- obedience to God's Word and the Holy Spirit encouragement

R -- repentance encouragement: proper changes of thinking and behavior habits

A -- appreciation and adoration (not flattery)

T -- trusting again help

I -- intertwine souls encouragement

O -- outreach encouragement: sharing good news and lessons with others

N -- notify relatives encouragement about the new ways of thinking and behavior

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
So then tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophecy is for a sign, not to unbelievers but to those who believe. 1 Cor 14:22

actually READING a bible might help you back to reality

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
So then tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophecy is for a sign, not to unbelievers but to those who believe. 1 Cor 14:22

So shoot me for saying the bible brings us back to reality. So typical

Oct 24, 2018

Get off your throne! Then read the good posts in this discussion. You are not being Christ-like at all! You don't even live the Golden Rule.

God's Word is my plumb-line and standard. I have ETRSFed (logically indent formatted) all of the New Testament (Revelation 4 times) and 3/5s of the Old Testament, and over 200 Bible word studies. And I am 71-years-old and sensitive and obedient to the Holy Spirit urgings most of the time. I have lived for God and His Word since I was born again on May 25, 1967. My main sin in my childhood was a humble meek self-righteousness to please those older than me.

Oct 24, 2018
So shoot me for saying the bible brings us back to reality. So typical
I will obey 2 Timothy 3:5 in relation to your posts. I feel sorry for you. You are missing out on so much in Holy Spirit Christian Sanctification. You have a "form of Godliness, but denying the power thereof". You cannot receive divine peace and divine joy by doing such.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
That is a bizaar statement. According to Mark 16, Jesus said of them that believe 'they shall speak with new tongues' and Paul himself spoke with tongues.
except I hold that a tongue is not unknowable babble, but an acutal language as in Acts 2 and as it has been defined by scripture itself in first mention of tongues ergo"

Paul spoke in many languages.......well of course he did, look at all the nations he went to from Israel to Italy. Early chrisitan writers did not know what tongues were as they had ceased by end of apostolic era.

Mark 16 should never be used for doctrinal truth as it was never considered part of original Mark gospel but added later.

when we were children we spoke as children but it is time to press on to maturity.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
Mark 16:9-20 has been called a later addition to the Gospel of Mark by most New Testament scholars in the past century. The main reason for doubting the authenticity of the ending is that it does not appear in some of the oldest existing witnesses, and it is reported to be absent from many others in ancient times by early writers of the Church. Moreover, the ending has some stylistic features which also suggest that it came from another hand. The Gospel is obviously incomplete without these verses, and so most scholars believe that the final leaf of the original manuscript was lost, and that the ending which appears in English versions today (verses 9-20) was supplied during the second century. Below are some excerpts from various scholarly sources that conclude that the verses are a later addition.

Bible Research web site (has quote from several scholars on this issue)

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
Mark 16:9-20 has been called a later addition to the Gospel of Mark by most New Testament scholars in the past century. The main reason for doubting the authenticity of the ending is that it does not appear in some of the oldest existing witnesses, and it is reported to be absent from many others in ancient times by early writers of the Church. Moreover, the ending has some stylistic features which also suggest that it came from another hand. The Gospel is obviously incomplete without these verses, and so most scholars believe that the final leaf of the original manuscript was lost, and that the ending which appears in English versions today (verses 9-20) was supplied during the second century.
Complete rubbish. This is anti-Christ theology.
There are presently 5,686 Greek manuscripts in existence today for the New Testament.
The traditional ending of Mark 16 is prevalent and intact in over 85% of the body of ancient manuscripts, and is only "missing" in various manuscripts later discovered and used by unbelievers such as Moffatt, Westcott and Hort who used these dubious text sources to discredit the inspired authority and truth of the scriptures.
The other main source of manuscripts that have the proper ending of Mark 16 missing are held in the (surprise, surprise) Vatican collection - that has always opposed the confirmation of truth by the word of God.
God [Jesus], who is the Word and states categorically that his Word will never pass away is not in the habit of losing scripture and leaving his disciples and Church in the dark, and without knowledge of the full gospel.
Ivan Panin and Ethelbert Bullinger both great Bible scholars who gave us understanding of Bible numerics, gematria and numbers in scripture have confirmed the authenticity of these last five verses of the gospel of Mark.

But in the end the great Pentecostal revival of the last days that began in the 1880s with the divine healing and holiness movements confirms the truth of these verses.
Speaking in tongues (that is praying in the Spirit) and laying hands on the sick so that they can be healed, for example, are happening today in accordance with the Word of God (as do the other signs, wonders and miracles).
What is missing in today's Christianity are not verses from the gospel of Mark but belief and faith in the teachings and commandments of Jesus -
"16 He that believes and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believes not shall be damned.
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;"

I believed and I experienced this and so much more - I pray daily in tongues, praying in the Holy Ghost as I am commanded to and I also lay hands on others with needs for them to be miraculously healed and raised up.

yellowcanary

May 22, 2018
I believed and I experienced this and so much more - I pray daily in tongues, praying in the Holy Ghost as I am commanded to and I also lay hands on others with needs for them to be miraculously healed and raised up.
Get to the hospitals in your area pronto. Lots of hungry folks waiting for bread and fish too. Just bring a little ... and multiply it once you're there. Don't tell the unbelievers. Show them.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Context is important here in this understanding of Mark 16. Speaking with new tongues you assume means new languages. Speaking with new tongues means that they are speaking from a heart that has newness of life in Christ. Same language but with the new heart speaking with new knowledge of Christ.

Paul was in fact multi-lingual.

You are creating a pre-text to support an unbiblical behavior.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

notuptome

May 17, 2013
There are presently 5,686 Greek manuscripts in existence today for the New Testament.
The traditional ending of Mark 16 is prevalent and intact in over 85% of the body of ancient manuscripts, and is only "missing" in various manuscripts later discovered and used by unbelievers such as Moffatt, Westcott and Hort who used these dubious text sources to discredit the inspired authority and truth of the scriptures.
The other main source of manuscripts that have the proper ending of Mark 16 missing are held in the (surprise, surprise) Vatican collection - that has always opposed the confirmation of truth by the word of God.
God [Jesus], who is the Word and states categorically that his Word will never pass away is not in the habit of losing scripture and leaving his disciples and Church in the dark, and without knowledge of the full gospel.
Ivan Panin and Ethelbert Bullinger both great Bible scholars who gave us understanding of Bible numerics, gematria and numbers in scripture have confirmed the authenticity of these last five verses of the gospel of Mark.

But in the end the great Pentecostal revival of the last days that began in the 1880s with the divine healing and holiness movements confirms the truth of these verses.
Speaking in tongues (that is praying in the Spirit) and laying hands on the sick so that they can be healed, for example, are happening today in accordance with the Word of God (as do the other signs, wonders and miracles).
What is missing in today's Christianity are not verses from the gospel of Mark but belief and faith in the teachings and commandments of Jesus -
"16 He that believes and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believes not shall be damned.
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;"

Praying in the Holy Spirit is not praying in tongues. That is a manufactured doctrine to support an unbiblical behavior.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Mar 28, 2016

Laying on hands represents a desire or plea to be healed. It was like the scapegoat led in the wilderness . .Actual laying on of hands is a metaphor..found in various parables using the temporal seen to represent the unseen eternal. (2 Corinthians 4:18) God does not heal by human hands never did never will .

The healing as a living hope we are looking for is our new incorruptible bodies. ( No one has received)

Sounds like the gospel of signs and wonders of the evil generation The kind the apostate Jews sought after making Jesus into a circus seal .

John 6:30 They said therefore unto him, What sign shewest thou then, that we may see, and believe thee? what dost thou work?

John 4:48 Then said Jesus unto him, Except ye see signs and wonders, ye will not believe.

Big difference between signs that show a hidden spiritual meaning and signs to be used as wonders or a faith source to lead . The last sign and wonder was that of Jonas. Jesus says today a evil generation looks for one.

Again signs follow , while signs and wonders lead. Even today giving a false hope to confirm something .. The sign found the gospel of Mark speaks of how the poison of false doctrines and oral traditions of men will not effect a believer .He will not go above that which is written . He will speak in a new tongue, the prophecies of God as he holds out the gospel in a hope the Spirit of Christ will apply it .

Experience is not the validator of the spiritual unseen things . Today out of the body or near death experiences or I had a dream are on the rise. They will not seduce the believer who knows God is no longer bringing any new revelations as prophecy after any manner to include tongues..... being warned beforehand.

If personal experience was the validator of the spiritual unseen things. Then Christ flunked the test as our scapegoat in Mathew 4 .He should of bowed down but repeated the words of the one source by which we could know God as it is written.

He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God. And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.Mark 16 :16-20

Sign following not wonders leading.

Why seek after a sign that confirms a person will not hear the word of prophecy, according to the law ? look to the foundation (Isaiah 28) Why was God mocking the Jews?

In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they "not hear me," saith the Lord.Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to "them that believe", but to them that "believe not": but prophesying serveth not for "them that believe not", but "for them" which believe.1 Corinthians 14;21-22

The question I would ask is what part of the law above does not seem clear?

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015

Mark 16 was added to the end of the gospel of Mark, accordiing to Bruce Metzger, professor emeritus, Princton University. Taught bible history.
He is not the only one, I can give you several theologians who say the same thing. I noted that Pencecostal sects had only ONE theologian named of McConnell in their line-up, and he did not deny sign gifts for today but he did not agree with them either. Sat on the fence about it.

saying there was a revival of sign gifts is like saying there was a revival of the the great flood
sign gifts were a sign to the Jews given to the apostles only, gifts of the spirit were given to the church for edifying and serving, such as gift of teaching, hospitality, knowledge, helps etc etc.

You have only to look at the religions that claim some sort of sign gift, some are far from sound doctrine and go so far as to deny the Trinity (Oneness Pentecostals and mormons for instance) there is a wise division between most of them and sound doctrine of the church. These are mostly lawkeepers and deny grace alone in salvation. None are without error in other areas than just the gifts.

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
The word of God is true, and God has sealed his word.
If Mark 16:15-20 is a lie then what is false in scripture. This is the argument put forward by unbelievers who deny the
truth and authenticity and authority of the holy scriptures.

The Pentecostal churches that stand on Mark 16:15-20 and Acts validate this by actually experiencing and living the gospel
as taught by Jesus and the apostles in full accordance with the scriptures.
I know from observation that Christianity in the U.S.A. can be bizarre and is full of entertainment, but your American show-biz
Christianity does not deny the fundamental truth of the full gospel as originally delivered once to the saints.

These signs shall follow them that believe is happening whether you believe it or not.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Mark 16 was added to the end of the gospel of Mark, accordiing to Bruce Metzger, professor emeritus, Princton University. Taught bible history.
No. The Last Twelve Verses of Mark are GENUINE SCRIPTURE. Read and stuy the book by the same title written by Dean John W. Burgon, an outstanding textual scholar in his own right, and one of the few who did not get duped by Westcott & Hort (as did Metzger).

presidente

May 29, 2013
Context is important here in this understanding of Mark 16. Speaking with new tongues you assume means new languages. Speaking with new tongues means that they are speaking from a heart that has newness of life in Christ. Same language but with the new heart speaking with new knowledge of Christ.
It seems rather unlikely that the new tongues had nothing to do with the speaking in tongues that would occur shortly thereafter at Pentecost and later in Cornelius' house and elsewhere.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Praying in the Holy Spirit is not praying in tongues.
Correct. All Christians can pray in the Spirit, but not all Christians can speak in tongues. Also modern tongues to do correspond to biblical tongues, and that is readily admitted by modern Charismatics and Pentecostals.